"Tighten Gas Cap" light! 3 visits to the dealer already.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
I just got this message as well. Will warranty cover this as my car is a CPO?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrylin101
how'd you reset the message?

Hmmm... perhaps my verbiage is an issue? I am simply "skipping" the message in the MID by cycling past it, and have selected "delete" a couple times in the NAVI when the option came up (forget when and why I had that choice!) other than selecting "check later" when that is displayed. At any rate, it appears a simple matter to "ignore" even if it keeps popping up for now. I am pretty UNCONCERNED with "this type" of issue on a vehicle! The ONLY VEHICLE I'VE EVER OWNED that gives a care about the GAS cap, or any OTHER EVAP or EMISSIONS related "technicality" with such a feedback sensor so MUCH attention!

Heck, in many OTHER (can you say... SUPRA?) vehicles I've owned, I have TOTALLY eliminated ALL EGR/EVAP/SUPERFLUOUS features that have LITTLE bearing on the fundamental performance behavior of the internal combustion engine...

Just my thoughts... although SINCE this is a "luxury ACURA" vehicle... I may look further into the "proper resolution" of the code altogether eventually.

(Sorry if that was little help! Just my thoughts...)

-crisp
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
My CEL isn't on for this but I do have it in my MID. I have tried to clear it in car and with a HDS and it never goes away.

I had all codes reset after buying my car - knew a couple honda techs. and this is only code that won't clear.

I did have a code for over-revving i.e. too much time spent in the higher rpm range lol will have to check the code I took a picture of the HDS when it was showing.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had this issue on my CPO car just purchased back in Feb. It persisted for a couple weeks, and after the first time I was very careful to be sure to tighten the cap. I left the message stored, just so I can show the dealer when I eventually take it in. I am sure it is not the cap, as the first time it happened I really tightened the cap afterwards and it came back.

If you live in a state with smog checks (like CA) this could be a problem, especially if it occurs while your vehicle is on the rollers for the "dyno" rolling test. Immediate visual fail. Ususally any type of failure in CA will put you in the "Test Only" category which is typically more expensive even though they do not do anything extra...
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 AM
8th Gear

Dealer refused to goodwill the job, $450 out the door. Negotiated the work down for me to purchase the PVC and gas cap ($106), and for them to put in the labor. I just can't stand the check engine light...parts scheduled to come in from NY tomorrow. Just refilled with gas today and what do you know, check engine light went off by itself! Happy, but this is like an annoying pimple you just want to take care of.
The following users liked this post:
JmannTLs03 (04-01-2013)
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
My passenger seat heater has failed and I too have the rear deck rattle. I looked up a TSB and it looks like the rear suspension is the culprit. Can anyone confirm or deny? Please let me know if the dealer is able to fix it and what it was!

Acura quality isn't what it used to be. My rear bumper’s color doesn't match the rest of the car, rattle/ticks from driver's side vent and upper pillar, under dash, & center speaker, unknown vibration from rear part of car (not suspension related) fuel cap warning, clutch is fried, have to replace TPMS sensor, DRL relay crapped out on me, have weird spring-like-thing nearly poking through driver's front seat, starter died last weekend, and fuel cap warning, of course. Those are the current problems or the one’s I’ve fixed in the last 5,000 miles. Car only has 72,000 miles and I take very good care of my cars.

My 1st gen TL had the EGR valve go out at about 80,000 miles which dealer replaced and the starter died shortly after. The only other problem I had with the car was the radiator and brake master cylinder went out around 160,000 miles. No ticks, rattles, leaks, or anything else. Next car will be Toyota/Lexus.
Every brand has their problems. If you switch, just be sure you don't get one with an accelerator problem.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm in Canada and just picked up my 08 TL-S a couple weeks ago and twice already I've had the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message under hard acceleration. I know the temps have been over 30degC but it sounds like I need to see if my dealer will replace my PCV (I'm at 111,000km's/70,000miles though). Thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 AM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Tighten Fuel Cap Problem is a Manufacturer's Problem

This issue should be a recall issue and no one should have to pay for this replacement. When I initially bought my TL Type S in 07 I had the manufacturer take the car because no dealer could figure out what was wrong with the car causing that light to come on. I now have a dealer swapped 08 and the light very seldomly comes on but nonetheless is a manufacturer's problem not an owner's problem. Honda/Acura needs to recall the vehicle due to thi know problem with this model. I plan on contacting CA. I will post their response.
The following 3 users liked this post by citidelx:
Acura-OC (07-18-2012), helmsrj (07-18-2012), JmannTLs03 (04-01-2013)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 AM
08 Type-S KBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have this issue on my 08 Type-S. I am only at 68K miles and it has been going on for over a year with no noted effects.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by citidelx
Honda/Acura needs to recall the vehicle due to thi know problem with this model.
^in a perfect world, yes.

however, this has been an ongoing issue for many years and they still haven't issued a recall.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I called my local dealer about it today and they suggested I contact Acura Canada as I'm out of warranty. The person at Acura Canada right away said he knew about the issue and would take care of this if it isthe same problem as noted in the TSB. I'm going to get the power steering hose recall done at the same time - car goes in Monday morning.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Replaced PCV and 300 miles later light is back on.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Just moved to lower altitude (SLC to DFW) and have noticed the light come on twice in the past month (never came on in Utah). It would do this whenever I drove from SLC to So Cal, and that was it. Obviously it is caused by the increase in atmospheric pressure at lower altitudes, but what component is it effecting???

Anyone actually had success (long-term) with replacing the PCV? Anyone have a picture of the general area in which it lays?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Racer

On my other 2 cars (non Acura) I can clearly hear vacuum sucking air inside the fuel tank during fill ups. I never heard it on Acura.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

I saw a page about this in my onwers manual.just says remove gas cap.
Tighten it back up till it clicks at least once..:scratch and to give it a few days
Of driving time to clear..
mine went away little after I did some throttle pulls..I dunno...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Racer

It appears that there are two separate problems with "Tighten Gas Cap" warning. One without Check Engine Light and one with. One that without CEL can go ahead and replace PCV. In my case there is CEL that is the reason why replacing PCV was no help. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. CEL drives me nuts. have to trouble shot the problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Racer

I am not allowed to edit my posts yet. Any other common solutions?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
dealer already replaced gas cap for me to try and solve issue. No dice. I too am awaiting the real fix on this one before I spend anymore money. What a dumb thing to have to worry about seriously...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM
9th Gear

It's really strange hearing all your stories cause..... I picked up my 08 TL s in Feb. from Burrard Acura 1/2 hr after I picked up may car "tight gas cap" message appeared in the info screen. It stayed on for a few days then went away after a few days. When I dropped off my car, my service adviser told me there was a software update for this issue. I was never given a copy of the work order, but that was what I was told. This would have been sometime in march. I would go and ask your local dealer and see what they say. I've had no problems since my software update.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura-OC
It appears that there are two separate problems with "Tighten Gas Cap" warning. One without Check Engine Light and one with. One that without CEL can go ahead and replace PCV. In my case there is CEL that is the reason why replacing PCV was no help. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. CEL drives me nuts. have to trouble shot the problem.
Yes, I have the same problem. CEL on and stating "Tigthen Fuel Cap". I just bought the vehicle yesterday. My vehicle has an Acura Plus warranty which covers up to 130000 km. I am currently at 87000 km. I am in Canada. Anyone have this problem successfully fixed under warranty within the GTA?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carriers
Yes, I have the same problem. CEL on and stating "Tigthen Fuel Cap". I just bought the vehicle yesterday. My vehicle has an Acura Plus warranty which covers up to 130000 km. I am currently at 87000 km. I am in Canada. Anyone have this problem successfully fixed under warranty within the GTA?
Actually my CEL isn't on, I'm calling ACURA tomorrow and hopefully have the problem fixed. I already tried tighten the cap lol.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad to know i'm not the only one with this problem.. Looks like i'll be ordering the PCV soon
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05NBPTL
Glad to know i'm not the only one with this problem.. Looks like i'll be ordering the PCV soon
Yeah I'm sure it is well known but found this TSB while searching for a fix.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B09-056.pdf

I may print it out and show it to a service adviser. My trouble appears the same described here. My DTC/DEL isn't on so it pretty much follows the guidelines provided in there.

Once again just hope my warranty covers it, annoyed to see it pop up right after I purchased the car.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but I had this problem for about 4 months straight and it drove me CRAZY!... and then just one day it went away and I've been light free for 3 months now. Knocking on wood!

I went away on 2 week trip and when i came back, my battery was completely drained! Couldn't even get it jump started. I had the battery replaced and all was well. I dont know if the battery draining/replacement had anything to do with light, or if it reset the ECU, etc... but just throwing it out there.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When I had my 07 TL-S in for the PS recall, I asked the tech guy about it and he immediately said PCV. I had the MID warning come on a few times and finally the CEL came on... the codes matched the PCV issue but the light went away after a few weeks.

Guy said the CEL will stop showing after 50 engine starts or cycles. No issues since :P
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Renescent
When I had my 07 TL-S in for the PS recall, I asked the tech guy about it and he immediately said PCV. I had the MID warning come on a few times and finally the CEL came on... the codes matched the PCV issue but the light went away after a few weeks.

Guy said the CEL will stop showing after 50 engine starts or cycles. No issues since :P
I don't have the CEL on but the advisory light is seldomly. It comes and goes as it pleases. It is currently off but I don't want to anticipate the next time that it does. They really need to recall this issue as it is not as a result of ware and tear of the driver. Seems like a very common problem.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
10th Gear

Had the tighten cap notice about 2 years ago in my 05, I remember reading in the forums that if you switched to a cheaper brand of gasoline (i always use Chevron, but used a no name brand out of desperation) it can cause the notice to pop up. I went thru 2 tanks of Chevron gasoline and cleaned threads on the gas cap with a piece cloth and after 2 weeks, it just went away on its own. The notice drove me NUTS for 2 weeks!

Last edited by RX89014; 08-10-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Every 07-08 in warranty should use SB 09-56

So I recently, needed to get more involved in this problem. My main focus is looking at the the Service Bulletin 09-056 and EVAP canister purge valve.
First off, if you are having a tighten fuel cap message there is no way the dealer can diagnose/analysis this issue. If the car has no codes how is the dealer going to know the tighten fuel cap message is going off other than your word. If your car is under warranty it would make sense for you to claim you are having this issue because you will get a new valve and your old valve may fail after the warranty period and you will be out the $100.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem as well with the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message. I just bought the car as Certified Pre-owned 4 weeks ago.

I noticed that the only times I get this message is when Im below 1/2 tank of fuel. The pressure or the volume changes in the tank must be causing this message to appear. Taking it back to the dealership and hopefully they can fix it.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
One problem which is why Acura is replacing the EVAP canister valve is because it leaks. It is a 27-30 Ohm solenoid valve. I suspect the valve intermittently sticks open. Acura may have changed suppliers for the 07-08. I also suspect the valve sticking is a temperature problem. In other words when the valve is hot it is more likely to stick. This allows the the canister which absorbs the gas vapor from the tank is bled off. At some point in the algorithm the computer looks at the pressure in the system concludes it is too low and advises the gas cap is loose. The gas that bleeds goes into the engine manifold and the car initially runs rich or it dissipates into the air "polluting".
It seems more plausible to me this is the root cause also of the high temperature day loss of of power than the battery.

Interesting but maybe unrelated is the gas cap was also changed 07-08 but I think that was cost reduction.
rikistev (07-11-2020)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanikko
I have the same problem as well with the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message. I just bought the car as Certified Pre-owned 4 weeks ago.

I noticed that the only times I get this message is when Im below 1/2 tank of fuel. The pressure or the volume changes in the tank must be causing this message to appear. Taking it back to the dealership and hopefully they can fix it.

Thoughts?
You should still have the Certified Pre-owned warranty on it. I got mine fixed under extended warranty and haven't had the message come up since.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Anyone have the P/N for reference they can put in here. I need to order the PVC and fix this problem finally.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Originally Posted by tonto340
To fix this problem requires part numbers:
17670-SHJ-A31 Fuel Filter Cap
17315-SDA-A02 Dust Filter
36162-RDV-J01 Pur Cont Valve
36166-RJA-A01 Purge Joint

This is a problem Acura knows about.
Found it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMFG!...i have been having the issue on my 07 tl type S!, just bought the it and a week later its now giving me that issue, i checked the gas cap, threads on it, and the rubber lining all fine...i need to keep reading this thread thought (still on 1st page lol got to excited i actually found a thread and others who have the same issue lol)
JmannTLs03 (04-01-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I started getting the "Tighten Gas Cap" msg on my '07 TL-Type S at around the 80K km mark. It first started up when the weather was really hot outside last summer. The dealer first changed the gas cap but that didn't work. They then showed me the tsb which entailed changing the purge control valve, so I got that done as well. Error msg came on shortly after but then went away after driving for a while. Then the winter came and the error light didn't come back on. Now on the first couple of hot days of this year, the error has popped back up. Wondering if I should go back and tell them about replacing the filler neck? Did that seem to work for most people? How much did that cost you?
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Man my car type-s is doing the same thing and i've gone through all the same steps as you. Its horrible. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Jware93! Did you also change the filler neck? I guess considering you've still got the problem whether you did or not didn't seem to help lol. Just wondering if anyone else has been able to solve this issue. Now that the weather is consistently warm/hot I seem to be getting the light coming on at least once a week. Luckily it only stays on a couple of days
My extended warranty runs out in a couple of months and I'd really like to get this thing taken care of by then.

Last edited by greg27; 05-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
06 base ... Just got the " Tighten gas cap" message .. 71,000 km (42 k miles) going to do the thread clean etc tomorrow ... Anyone have an actual DIY for the PVC or pix ofbwhere its at? I also have a CAI installed.. Anything i should be checking in that area?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Well changed it .. Tighten Gas Cap message still comes on . It comes on soon as I turn the key on and even before I start the car. Gas cap is ok .. swapped it with the one in my Civic and no change in either car.

Next?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok pulled the battery for 20 min... it cleared it .. have to wait and see now .

Quick Reply: "Tighten Gas Cap" light! 3 visits to the dealer already.