My cracked dashboard ordeal...

Old 02-24-2015, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine too!

I am the only owner of my 2004 TL and my dash has developed 3 large cracks in the last 6 months! I live in Washington, D.C. and always have. This is Not a Warm weather climate problem. I will take it to the dealer and they had better not charge me! No "young kid" coming in to deal with this!
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I'm glad you got that fixed. I'm using a sunshade as often as I can when parking outside in the California sun. Hopefully I don't encounter the same problem.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Oh, they will charge you. It's HOW MUCH you need to be concerned with. You will not get this done for free, from what I've gathered.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by mntodc
I am the only owner of my 2004 TL and my dash has developed 3 large cracks in the last 6 months! I live in Washington, D.C. and always have. This is Not a Warm weather climate problem. I will take it to the dealer and they had better not charge me! No "young kid" coming in to deal with this!
It's essentially an 11 year old car - I would be surprised if they even gave you a break on the cost to have it done. Why would you expect it to be free WELL past the warranty?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Because 22 years old.

Just a guess!

Seriously though, you might be able to get them to split it...but it's still 900 out of pocket. And they don't start off at offering 50%.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I have been contemplating this since I bought the car. But I think I'm going to buy a dashcover
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM

They sell some vinyl based ones that look fantastic !
Old 04-17-2015, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

I am horrified I got in my car today and noticed 3 cracks in the dash. Seems to be a common problem for TL 2004-2006. I also live in the DC area and use a car cover when it's hot out. This is a defect. I keep cars for a long time and never had a dash crack. This complaint has been on CNN and a local news channel. There is also several websites and facebook groups about this issue. Acura should have recalled this especially since there is a crack where the air bag is located. Since they didn't they should satisfy their customers. I will take mine in Monday and if I am not satisfied I will advise everyone i know never to buy an Acura and will file some complaints.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 AM

Well damn, girl...don't piss you off, huh?!?!

It'll take some convincing, but they'll make good. They can't exactly recall it due to the numbers of TL's sold and the 8 hour job to replace each one...they kinda have to treat it on a case by case basis.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
My story first started in this thread Cracked dashboard in '04 TL - AcuraZine Community where I realized I wasn't the only person with a 3G TL with a nasty cracking dashboard.

Summary of everything I said in that thread:

-I purchased the car last July with ~52,000 miles
-no cracks on the dash when bought
-always garage kept
-NEVER used any Armor-All products
-always had a sunshade up when parked outside
-vented sunroof and windows when hot outside
-pretty much babied my TL since purchased

Here are some pics I took last month of the dash:

Passenger Side

Infront of the Center Speaker

Driver's Side Tweeter

On top of Gauge Cluster thingy

The day I brought the car home....7/19/08...no cracks present

As you can see, these aren't small hairline cracks, they are nasty ass long cracks all over.

I don't think any car thats $30k+ should have cracks like that only being 5 years old. My 01 CL-S had over 105,000 miles and was never garaged, and the dash was flawless. I mean my mom's shitty 1997 Dodge Intrepid's dash looks like the day we bought it brand new and my dads (now replaced) 1983 GMC S-15 was bought brand new in Florida, never garaged, and eventually came here to NC until 2003, and it never had a crack in it. There is no reason whatsoever this should be happening, especially to a "luxurious" and expensive car.

I decided I had enough of the shit and I took it to my local Acura dealership, Leith Acura. I went in there and talked to Jason in the service department, and he was awesome. Helped me through everything and had the car looked at. I mentioned I would like to talk to the parts/service manager just to see what he would say. I thought that since Jason was so nice, the manager would be as well, but boy I was wrong. The manager was obviously not happy to be talking to me about it, but also not happy about me being so "young" driving a 04 TL. He told me that they don't make the decision if Acura covers it or not, they have to give it to their district manager who works for Acura and deals with repairs like this, and he will make a decision. He also told me that he had never seen or heard of this happening to another Acura product, and that since the car was originally from Florida, the cost of the repair will not be covered. He began to say that "cars from Florida usually have this problem" and I interrupted him saying I was born and raised in Orlando and none of the cars in my family have that problem. Every single family member of mine, except my mom and dad, have lived in Florida their whole life, and they have cars that have never had a crack. I called his fat ass out on that and it made me feel good. He simply said "well we will see", then he lightly shook my hand, and walked away.

I waited a week later and Jason called me. He said the normal repair bill for a new dash is ~$1760, and Acura will over ~$1200 of it, leaving me the remainder ~$560. Needless to say, I wasn't happy they weren't going to cover all of it, but it was better than having to pay the whole $1800.

I dropped off the car Tuesday morning (6/8) and got it back today (6/10). I should have gotten it back yesterday, but they were running a little behind. I didn't mind, I got to drive my dads G35x around for the night.

Here are the pics taken today once I got home. I haven't had time to clean it up at all:

They replaced everything from the left side of the car to the right. Every dash panel there is. They did a great job. On the receipt they said they did a "Complementary Wash and Vacuum Valued at $19.95", but I can just tell they didn't. There are little pieces of plastic and grass on the carpets and the white paper floormats were still on the floor on both the driver and passenger side. I could have pitched a shit about it, but I would rather just do it myself and make sure it's done right and the way I want it to be. Jason is calling me tomorrow to follow up on everything and I'll be sure to tell him I didn't see that the "Complementary Vacuum" was done.

Overall, I'm not too happy about having to pay the $560ish to get it fixed. That money was for my textbooks this upcoming semester, and the rest was going to be put towards an A-Spec kit, but oh well. I was scared eventually the cracks would be severe enough to affect the airbag deploying, plus it was ugly to look at.

Now it's nice and fresh

The cracks you have in yours, prior to replacement, are identical in location to the ones I currently have in my 05 TL.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Florida and my 2006 TL dash was perfect when I parked my car one morning at work but when I came out to leave a large crack had developed on the side of the passengers side airbag. I don't remember the mileage exactly but it was around 36,000 and the car was just over four years old, just out of warranty by time.

I called the dealer and was told they had never seen that but said it wouldn't be covered as I was out of warranty, I escalated to the Parts and Service Director and got the same story so I turned up the heat a little and demanded a meeting with the Acura DSPM. Low and behold a got a call back and was told Acura would cover it, "Good Will".

Other manufacturers are having the same problems with cracking and melting supposedly due to the high temperature and humidity in Florida, I read where Lexus is stepping up and taking care of this on some older 2003-2009 models, I have a friend who has a 2004 RX330 with a cracked dash and he got a letter from Lexus saying they'll take care of his.

I also read that Toyota is taking care of cracked and melting dashes on certain models in the 2003-2011 year range.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^that's Good to hear you got it replaced for free!

What dealership in Tampa? How is the new dash holding up after a few years?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^that's Good to hear you got it replaced for free!

What dealership in Tampa? How is the new dash holding up after a few years?
I got it replaced at Crown Acura in Clearwater. I traded the Acura on a new Lexus and haven't looked back so I don't know how well the new dash held up.

I wouldn't give Ferman Acura in Tampa another dime, their sales department sucks and I had to educate their service department as to what Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act meant when they told me Acura could void my warranty because I was doing my own oil changes instead of having the dealer do it. (I was a new/used car technician for more than five years so I think that qualifies me to perform my own services) They also tried to tell me that their service intervals were better than Acura's Maintenance Minder system.

Last edited by tampacfimei; 06-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (06-21-2015)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How about we all show up to one Acura dealership with our cracked dashboards and prove them that this is an issue!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by tampacfimei
I got it replaced at Crown Acura in Clearwater. I traded the Acura on a new Lexus and haven't looked back so I don't know how well the new dash held up.

I wouldn't give Ferman Acura in Tampa another dime, their sales department sucks and I had to educate their service department as to what Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act meant when they told me Acura could void my warranty because I was doing my own oil changes instead of having the dealer do it. (I was a new/used car technician for more than five years so I think that qualifies me to perform my own services) They also tried to tell me that their service intervals were better than Acura's Maintenance Minder system.
Good man! Lexus is the way to go! My first Honda/Acura and LAST. Never again.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Add another member to the Cracked Dash Club. Noticed this yesterday when I was leaving work. Finally got me
Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

does anybody have experience with a dash overlay.? seen 'em online for about $300...
Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM
7th Gear

I have a 2008 Acura TL with 150,000 miles and it just developed a crack. I called Acura and they opened a ticket and asked me to take the car in to a dealership so they could give me an estimate for the repair. They did mention that based on the age and mileage of the car, it was unlikely that they would be able to help me out based on good will. Has anyone gotten good will help in a similar situation? 8 years old with 150k miles?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have a huge crack on mines :/ 07 tls
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 PM

The overlays should cost more like $80-120 IIRC...
I did the Sedona Suede and cut out holes to put the tweeters in for a more custom look and to not smother the sound from them...
In the end, I fought Acura and got a good deal on a new dash so I replaced it, but if I had to do it all over again, a dash cover was great...since I no longer worried about my dash cracking

Photobucket is being an absolute shit right now or I'd share a pic of it...
Old 11-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
In the end, I fought Acura and got a good deal on a new dash so I replaced it
When you say you fought Acura, what did that look like? Also, year and mileage of your car. I havent gotten any cracks yet but am just waiting for the day.....
Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 AM

Mostly bobbing and weaving, some uppercuts...a hook. I had some bruising but you should see the other guy.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Mostly bobbing and weaving, some uppercuts...a hook. I had some bruising but you should see the other guy.
ha ha, nice!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:36 PM

back and forth with them on twatter, and then continuing with an acura rep with phone calls and letters...
2004 Acura TL...cracked in 2010 or 2011 after always having a sun shade up, and parking in garage or under a canopy. Probably about 75K miles.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

This just happened to my '04 TL after 12 years of ownership. The crack in my dash clearly outlines the location of the passenger side airbag, and I imagine it could affect proper airbag deployment since one area of the dash is now significantly weaker than the other. If you also think this could be a safety issue, you can add your voice to a list of concerned drivers here: Acura TL Air Bags - 2004 ACURA TL Problems With Air Bags

A summary of the linked site is below. Please repost in any appropriate forum if you want to get Acura's attention:

Car problem(s) with the 2004 ACURA TL. This database includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle Safety Hotline. This information may be used by NHTSA during the investigation process. You may file your own complaint by calling the NHTSA Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at (888) 327-4236, TTY: (800) 424-9153. You can also file your complaint online.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

2008 Acura tl

Got into my car this morning to discover my 2008 Acura TL has about a 6 inch vertical crack on the passenger-side dashboard, right where the airbag is.

I guess this is still a serious issue for Acura. Is there any recourse for getting them to either fully replace the dashboard or absorb some of the cost of having the dashboard replaced if you are the second owner of the vehicle?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

07 TL here, 180k miles, had a crack develop on the left side of the passenger airbag about a year ago, noticed another crack today. While I was replacing a console latch that lets the console spring up every time I hit a bump. And right after I felt the cupholder cover break free into pieces.

Just about had it with this monkey-fighting plastic in this Monday-to-Friday car. My previous car, at about 260k miles, 9 years older, at least $15k less when it was new, and still in use today, does not have these problems.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have so many cracks on this 04TL 6MT @ 175K miles that I picked as a DD, I have decided to buy one these and just lay it over the existing dash and let the OEM dash expand and contract underneath this ABS plastic shell....really a good efficient idea and they say that the look is really clean as compared to those mats... Very easy install as well.... here is an install video

Here is the link and then you can google some cupon code as well...

http://www.carparts.com/details/Acur...0408LLBLK.html

Hope this helps for other looking to resolve this issue.... you can also go to this website and pick out the correct part number for you interior color shade and then search it on carparts.com and buy it from thee as it is much cheaper through them...

Coverlay Interior Accessories Catalog - Dashboard Covers, Instrument, Door and Kick Panels

The above link will give you all the different colors avalaible....

Mine is on route will post pictures of the install once it is complete.

Hope this help others that are searching for a simple and quick solution for a 16+ yrs old car.....

Sandan
The following 2 users liked this post by Sandan:
EvilVirus (01-26-2018), USNA93 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
My dashboard is now cracking too. Sitting outside in the 20 degree weather all day causes the top layer of the dashboard to shrink and pull back and "snap a crack". It is the cold temps that causes shrinking of the outer layer which causes it to pull apart and snap a crack. But cold temps is not the only thing that causes it. Last summer I got into my car and it was very hot inside.. So I rolled down like all the windows for 2 miles to cool it off quickly, and I pulled up to the stop light and SNAP! I thought a rock hit my front shield. But I did not see any evidence of a rock hitting my glass. The next day I noticed a huge crack on the driver side of the dashboard where it was behind the hump and I did not see it sitting in the car. But I noticed it later. So my theory what happened, was that while the car was hot, the entire dashboard had expanded, including the top layer and the under layer. So, when I rolled down the windows, it got such a quick cooling effect, that the top layer began to shrink. And the shrinking of the outer layer pulled itself apart and snapped a crack.
So in my opinion, it has to do with a fast cooling or temperatures below freezing. I did not experience much Cracking because for 4 years, I left my car parked in my garage and I walked to work. I work in downtown dallas, tx and my car did not get many miles nor did it experience a lot of temperature variations. So I did not have much cracking. I still have a garage in my apartment but I now live up north of town. So, I drive over to a train stop and leave the car sitting outside all day. Well, the past week has been very cold. And Thursday I pulled my car out of the warm garage and parked my car at the train stop and road the train into downtown. And when I came home that evening, I had 2 new cracks on the passenger side. Lovely! 1 goes the entire length of the dashboard. And it happened during the day when it was cold and the dashboard shrank from being cold. So heat is not the only factor when it comes to a cracking dashboard. Because it was below 32 and it sat still all day long. It really has to do with the outer layer of the dashboard shrinking which causes it to crack. And cheap material. Like Faux leather.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sandan, how did that overlay dash work out for you?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 PM
10th Gear

Sadly this is a very common problem, ive been looking at 04-05 TL's and they all have it to some degree.. Acura Fked up and they give no Fks about it!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Drifting

I called Goodson Acura in Dallas yesterday and they said it would cost $2,500 to replace the dashboard. Don't think I will be opting for their service. 😆

Originally Posted by Rafael Rodriguez
Sadly this is a very common problem, ive been looking at 04-05 TL's and they all have it to some degree.. Acura Fked up and they give no Fks about it!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM
10th Gear

I bought a gorgeous, absolutely brand new looking (except for the tires and dash) 2005 in February. After making the deal, but before signing paperwork, I told the seller BMW of Chattanooga, that I wanted the dash repaired. I had not done enough research to fully understand the problem. Obviously neither had they! After their body guy looked at it and all agreed it could/would be repaired, I get a call the next day that the sublet guy who normally does this type of repair said it could NOT be fixed. That was the bad news. The good news was that they would REPLACE the entire dash with OEM and they did! I am quite sure they had absolutely no idea what they were getting into as it took nearly 5 full days and I know it didn't just sit there. Heck, if they had asked me, I would have settled on a discount to buy a Coverlay. Lesson confirmed...always let the other guy make the first move! I know it's probably a matter of time before this one cracks as well. But in the meanwhile, I am enjoying a $35k luxury car with only 63k miles, garage kept and super-well maintained, I absolutely LOVE to look at and to drive, at a fraction of what anything else would cost me.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Sounds good. if they installed a new dashboard from Acura, then it will last several years. but a used dashboard may not make it very long. I check out acurapartswarehouse.com and I think a new one cost $750 plus shipping, which is about $350
Old 04-08-2018, 11:27 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by optiguytom
I bought a gorgeous, absolutely brand new looking (except for the tires and dash) 2005 in February. After making the deal, but before signing paperwork, I told the seller BMW of Chattanooga, that I wanted the dash repaired. I had not done enough research to fully understand the problem. Obviously neither had they! After their body guy looked at it and all agreed it could/would be repaired, I get a call the next day that the sublet guy who normally does this type of repair said it could NOT be fixed. That was the bad news. The good news was that they would REPLACE the entire dash with OEM and they did! I am quite sure they had absolutely no idea what they were getting into as it took nearly 5 full days and I know it didn't just sit there. Heck, if they had asked me, I would have settled on a discount to buy a Coverlay. Lesson confirmed...always let the other guy make the first move! I know it's probably a matter of time before this one cracks as well. But in the meanwhile, I am enjoying a $35k luxury car with only 63k miles, garage kept and super-well maintained, I absolutely LOVE to look at and to drive, at a fraction of what anything else would cost me.
That's awesome! One of the better stories I've read in regards to these dashboards.