My '04 TL is stuck in limp mode I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '04 TL is stuck in limp mode I think

My TL was throwing codes to replace my bank 1 cat an my egr valve. I have replaced both. My 02 sensors we're replaced a month and a half before I did my cat. I disconnected my battery when I replaced my cat to reset the computer to get rid of my check engine light. After doing this I have drove for about 50 miles and no check engine light has come on but my car seems to still be in limp mode. I can not get over 2500 rpm. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I'm wondering I there is something I may have to do to get car out if limp mode? Please help!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
This all sounds very strange, don't worry though im a mechanic! lol So you disconnected the battery and replaced the parts, now it only goes up to 2500 RPM. Make sure you didn't leave a vacuum hose or connector off of something, especially your egr. Since you messed with your egr, you might wanna check that. Where did you get the part from? You can easily disconnect the battery and let it sit for around 30 min for all the ECU back up to discharge, then reconnect and see what happens. Im guessing this new EGR you put on might be stuck open/closed causing it to run incorrectly. A bad EGR can make a car run terribly. PM me for a faster response. I would also recommend getting your codes checked before you disconnect your battery. Just because your check engine light has not come on yet doesn't mean anything. There are type a and type b dtc's and they have to fail so many times to turn on the light, but can still set a pending code in the ECM. Also, the engine has to be run and certain tests/codes run and pass before others, if you have something that wont run unless your driving about a certain rpm, engine temp, gear, throttle % and you haven't met those requirements, then the code will not set. ID most likely shoot toward that egr valve as the culprit. But id check codes, then disconnect the battery and let sit 30 min, in the mean time double check all your work, hoses, connectors, etc. Then pull the egr back off and inspect
Old 09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Went through this nightmare for quite some time.

I replaced the APP Sensor (Click here for thread)and the MAP sensor (37830-PNC-003).

It was the MAP sensor in my case.