Help! Doors lock and unlock randomly and alarm keeps going off

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Doors lock and unlock randomly and alarm keeps going off

Can someone help me. I have a 2008 Acura TL type S 6 speed with just over 38,000 miles. Just recently the doors started locking and unlocking on their own randomly and the car alarm keeps going off. I have tried disconnecting the batteries for hours, I took the battery out of the key fob, any other advice? I just got my windows tinted and started noticing it after that, I dont see how that could make a difference though. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Sibling has your spare key and is messing with you?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnfilice
Sibling has your spare key and is messing with you?
only have 1 key to the car when I bought it. Bought it from another state over 800 miles away. I have to disconnect the battery now when im not driving so the alarm wont keep going off randomly when im gone, or I come back, check my doors and they are unlocked. This morning getting off work I was walking past my car and heard the door lock keep on making a sound. The doors were unlocked and it kept trying to unlock.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Also if it helps diagnose it any, yesterday when I was standing outside of the car with the door open it kept on trying to unlock the door, and when driving it, the door locks kept locking and unlocking.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon1221
Also if it helps diagnose it any, yesterday when I was standing outside of the car with the door open it kept on trying to unlock the door, and when driving it, the door locks kept locking and unlocking.
It may be the door lock actuator for the driver door causing your issues
Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced

well i just bought a drivers and passneger side door lock actuator. Hopefully I will have time to install it shortly after I get it, and that will fix the problem. We will find out!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Should have tested the battery, alternator, and starter for free at an auto parts store, before you bought the actuators...

when the battery starts to die, it does funny things to the electrical components.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
A guy I work with had the same thing happen to his 06 6mt TL. Took the dealership a long time to fix it and many times to the dealer to get it fixed. I dont remember what the final fix was but I can message him to see what he says. I will get back to you.

James
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Ok I got a text back from him about what was fixed. Basically, his car alarm always went off door locks acted weird etc etc.
This is what he wrote to me in the text:
Multiplex/Fuse Box
Replaced mica/fuse box (under the dash)
replaced front door lock actuator
replaced tpms sensor
replaced battery

Now im not sure if all of these together caused the issues or if they were literally throwing parts at the car. but they finally got it fixed and that is everything they had to do. Hope your under warranty ;-)

Hope this helps.

James
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
James, thank you sir.

My friend and I installed coilovers on his TL.
We left the radio on while we worked. not a good move, btw.
After the install, his car was acting up, electrically.
He took it to the dealer and the dealer found the fuse box to be culprit.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Advanced

I took it to the dealership in Cary NC and they said "since you can tell the vehicle has been in a crash before, it is probably something from that, and it will not be covered under warranty" and it would take "a very long time to diagnose the problem, and cost a lot of money". I just bought the car 2 months ago, but it hadn't done that before, and the crash occurred back in 2009 so I doubt that had anything to do with this problem. However they wouldn't budge.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced

and now ive just noticed that the doors lock and unlock fine on the passenger side, however the lock and unlock button does not work. When I bought the car the switch worked fine. Could it be the door actuator on the passenger side? Also I will get the battery checked tomorrow. The dealership really pissed me off that they wouldnt warranty it, I may try going back there and talking with the manager about it. I dont see how a crash that occurred a long time ago cold just now be messing with the electrical system.....What are yalls thoughts on that?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon1221
I took it to the dealership in Cary NC and they said "since you can tell the vehicle has been in a crash before, it is probably something from that, and it will not be covered under warranty" and it would take "a very long time to diagnose the problem, and cost a lot of money". I just bought the car 2 months ago, but it hadn't done that before, and the crash occurred back in 2009 so I doubt that had anything to do with this problem. However they wouldn't budge.
Ahhh, Leith Acura... FYI those guys are freaking morons! I have brought my car to them on more than one occasion and have had nothing bud bad results dealing with them. IE: Showed them what I wanted fixed, and they proceeded to fix something totally different that wasn't even broken. When I questioned them about it, they tried to say that what I wanted fixed was going to cost three times as much as what they actually fixed, and they expected me to pay the difference if I wanted the correct repairs done. After a long argument with the manager they eventually fixed the original issue at no additional charge. Since then I have done most work myself on the car. And if I ever need any major repairs that I would only feel comfortable having an Acura dealership do, there is another Acura place out in Chapel Hill that I heard does good work. Performance Acura I think is the name. I am most definitely not headed back to Leith.

Anyway, I know this doesn't help with your problem. Just letting you know maybe you should try another Acura dealership.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KiWiLiT43
Ahhh, Leith Acura... FYI those guys are freaking morons! I have brought my car to them on more than one occasion and have had nothing bud bad results dealing with them. IE: Showed them what I wanted fixed, and they proceeded to fix something totally different that wasn't even broken. When I questioned them about it, they tried to say that what I wanted fixed was going to cost three times as much as what they actually fixed, and they expected me to pay the difference if I wanted the correct repairs done. After a long argument with the manager they eventually fixed the original issue at no additional charge. Since then I have done most work myself on the car. And if I ever need any major repairs that I would only feel comfortable having an Acura dealership do, there is another Acura place out in Chapel Hill that I heard does good work. Performance Acura I think is the name. I am most definitely not headed back to Leith.

Anyway, I know this doesn't help with your problem. Just letting you know maybe you should try another Acura dealership.
I may try talking to the service manager. From what ive seen it could be, a wreck that happened in 2009 could in no way just now be causing it. He kept going on how it could be a crimped wire somewhere, and it would take lots of hours to diagnose and that it would not be covered under warranty. I think I just need to go above the service guy and talk to the service manager about it. I think this should definitely be covered under warranty.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huge bump.... but did you ever figure out the problem Brandon? This is the exact same thing happening to my car right now and I'm about to blow my head off.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced

it was fixed under warranty. It was a door lock switch? Or something like that inside the passenger side door.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I am going through the same problem currently, did the dealership happen to mention how much it would be without warranty? (I also would have to be dealing with Leith Acura)
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am having this same problem right now! Anyone know what the fix is for this problem?

My Alarm has been going off ALLLL night and the stupid locks unlock and lock on their own, and my neighbors are going to kill me! I live in NY!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

New to site but had this issue with my 2001 TL and dealership unplugged lock assembly under hood. Stopped the alarm issue.
Still have a lock issue with passenger door but pull top was missing. Got one to replace today.