Front Seat Back Clips AUGH!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Seat Back Clips AUGH!!!

Has anyone ever had the back of the front seat "pop" loose?

There are two clips from hell the hold the bottom portion on and keep the seat back tight to the seat itself.

A few weeks ago the drivers side comes loose............. go to the dealer (needed service anyway) they fix it.........

Two days later it comes loose again............

Tried to fix this myself but those clips are a bitch.........I can't get them off the seat to reassemble onto the seat back.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually once you take the seat back off you should replace the clips, because the old ones are a bitch to get out without them breaking. You can get them out by squeezing the tabs of the clip from the inside of the seat and they sould come out fine, trying to pry them out just breaks them. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Thanks Sick ......... been trying to get them from behind - haven't had much luck.

Sucks that it this hard to fix ......... I just hate going back a 3rd time for the same thing.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Another suggestion. Check the panel itself. Look at the groove where the clip slides into the panel. While removing my panels, the lips (groove that the clips slides into) on the panel itself actually cracked. The damn clip is stronger than the panel itself.

Check yours. If the lips forming the groove are broken, the clip will not be able to hold the panel because the clip has nothing to hold onto.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Another suggestion. Check the panel itself. Look at the groove where the clip slides into the panel. While removing my panels, the lips (groove that the clips slides into) on the panel itself actually cracked. The damn clip is stronger than the panel itself.

Check yours. If the lips forming the groove are broken, the clip will not be able to hold the panel because the clip has nothing to hold onto.

That's the problem.........looks like the dealer is going to end up ordering a new seat back if they can't fix this. Mine is not cracked but the clip just won't stay put.

I fixed it twice today after the posting response and soon after it popped out again. The clips won't stay in the little plastic seat back bracket.

I was tempted to superglue the clips onto the back but I'm going to wait and see what the dealer says. This will be my third trip back because of this.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Enjoying my TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about it. When my TLS was delivered 3 weeks ago, the drivers seat had this issue, along with some other ones (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/anybody-az-got-alltel-163761/).

They still haven't fixed the seat. They said the clip breakage is very common, but in my case Acura had to make a special part. I'm still waiting.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

special part?.....LOL

I think they might be joshin' ya......lol I'm going back tomorrow to see what they want to do about it. I'd like to fix it myself but if I do and it doesn't work then I'm afraid they will give me a rash of shit about it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Enjoying my TL-S

Originally Posted by SteveP66
special part?.....LOL

I think they might be joshin' ya......lol I'm going back tomorrow to see what they want to do about it. I'd like to fix it myself but if I do and it doesn't work then I'm afraid they will give me a rash of shit about it.
That's what I was thinking. But with all of the problems I had with my car a delivery, the dealer is really kissing my ass. We'll see. I'll call corporate and the dealer Tomorrow and see what's up.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
OK, so now I've got the seat back problem. But after reading this thread, I am still not sure how to get it back together - other than a trip to the dealer. If someone could re-explain so that even I could understand it, I'd be grateful.

This is the lower seat back of the Drivers side front seat. It has come unattached at the bottom (2 clips?). Sitting in the back seat on the driver side, when I try to push the lower seat back, the clips will not engage - there is too much give in the seat to get 'em to just "click" into place.

Any and all help appreciated. TIA.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

It's a big pain in the A$$........the clips have to be removed and re-installed into the seat back before you can push the seat back on.

In my case the dealer fixed it and as I was driving home I heard it pop back out again.

Going back yet again.........this time they said they might have to order a new seat back because the plastic that holds the clips is "stressed" (yeah so am I) ........LOL
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
AZ Community Team

^^

So, I can try to get the clips OFF the seatback and re-install them in the seat. Then, re-attached the seat back. (Do I have this right Steve?). Or, just make an appointment (or 3) with my local dealer and let them figure it out.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

So, I can try to get the clips OFF the seatback and re-install them in the seat. Then, re-attached the seat back. (Do I have this right Steve?). Or, just make an appointment (or 3) with my local dealer and let them figure it out.

LOL ........... The clips are probably now stuck in the seat itself as opposed to the back cover. It will look like two white disks in the back of the frame. You have to squeeze the clip from inside the seat rame and wiggle it out of the metal seat frame holes. (Try gettting one side through first - coming out on an angle) Once you have them (2 clips) they slide onto the seat back cover...... then push back into the holes in the frame.

Very poorly designed.....
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not even sure what you guys are talking about.

I cant even picture the issue, got any pics of the problem area?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

LOL..... the panel that covers the back of the front seat.

If yours is on solid don't ever touch it.....lol. Once it pops loose it's a pain in the butt
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SteveP66
LOL ........... The clips are probably now stuck in the seat itself as opposed to the back cover. It will look like two white disks in the back of the frame. You have to squeeze the clip from inside the seat rame and wiggle it out of the metal seat frame holes. (Try gettting one side through first - coming out on an angle) Once you have them (2 clips) they slide onto the seat back cover...... then push back into the holes in the frame.

Very poorly designed.....

OK Steve, thanks. The more I looked at your other post, the more I thought I had somethng screwed up. The "post" on the seat back fooled me. So it goes:
Put the Clip on the Post. Insert the Post/Clip into the seat frame.

I am not interested in trying to get to the clip "from inside the seat frame".

Originally Posted by lusid
I'm not even sure what you guys are talking about.

I cant even picture the issue, got any pics of the problem area?

No pics (yet). Sit in the back seat of your TL. Look at the front seat. The back side of the front seats is a hard plastic cover. That cover is held in place with clips. The 2 clips on the bottom popped out and now the bottom of the cover is disconnected from the seat.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

OK Steve, thanks. The more I looked at your other post, the more I thought I had somethng screwed up. The "post" on the seat back fooled me. So it goes:
Put the Clip on the Post. Insert the Post/Clip into the seat frame.

I am not interested in trying to get to the clip "from inside the seat frame".
The hardest part is trying to get the clip off of the metal seat frame itself......and you need to in order to re-install the clip onto the seat panel.....

Does that make sense or did I make it worse.....lol
Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

No, Steve, that makes sense to me now.

I am not going to go fishing around inside the seat to try and detach the clips. I'll make a service appointment.

I need to have the passenger seat heater checked anyway - SWMBO says her ass isn't hot enough -
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

No, Steve, that makes sense to me now.

I am not going to go fishing around inside the seat to try and detach the clips. I'll make a service appointment.

I need to have the passenger seat heater checked anyway - SWMBO says her ass isn't hot enough -

What the heck is SWMBO?....lol

No fishing around - clips are right there - just herd to get out the first time.
But let the dealer fix it anyway - it's likely to come loose again. Seems like once it pops it always pops.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

The best way to fix this is to just start off fresh with a new seat back! Like you said if it happens once with the original seat back it most likely will happen again and the area that holds the clips will start to bend and not hold the clips tightly.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

I had the same problems with my 2000 TL, the back of the seat kept falling off. Not sure if they redesigned it for the new models (doubt it) but they had a repair/mod kit you could get from acura, came with a metal bar that went along the bottom, with an insert that went in the pocket so you could put the plastic clips into the metal bar, instead of the plastic of the seatback, definitely better than stock.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Got this fixed today.

Tech replaced the clips on the set frame. He said (just like you guys), that if he didn't replace the clips on the frame, the seat back would just pop off again.

Also, he replaced the pins. The Original Equipment pins, he says, are very short. He replaced them with pins that are longer and does not expect a problem in the future. The passanger side OTOH .... ?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Well, it happened again. The Driver Side Seat Back popped loose sometime over the past few weeks.

Went to the dealer today for a Rotation and Oil Change. Had them re-repair the seat back.

They said they've seen a number of these and have devised an "in house" solution.

After removing the old clips and installing new ones, they "grab" the seat back with a couple of zip ties (I assume one on each side) and use them to pull and hold the seat back and clips into the seat frame.

My Service Advisor pretty much guaranteed it'd stay put this time. I've got faith in him, but we'll have to see if the in-house fix holds up for the long-term.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
06 TL! / 05 R6

I had a similar problem with the clips... But mine broke while removing the seat...
Just in case if any one had the same issue and wanted to replace the clips your self the part # is 82137-SDA-003
and cost $1.40 @ OEMAcuraparts.com
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black large protuding clip not the white ones

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

You are exactly correct and my two black clips in the middle of the seat back piece were broken. So even though I wasted 8 bucks on two new white clips on the bottom, it did no good! The only solution was to use the large garbage ties that was suggested here. Get the large ones that cops use to tie people up when there is a riot etc. The end result was that the fix seemed just a good as new! I wish I read this before I bought the white clips!

Thanks to bearcat94 for the garbage ties solution. The floppy seat back was really getting on my nerves. Clearly I am anal retentive.

Now if I can only solve the slight surging/pulsing when light throttle is applied during a cold start up and launch.

Last edited by VanGuy; 02-27-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: More info to add
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

Question, I took the seat back off an noticed that the bottom two clips are broken on both of my seats but also the hooks in the middle of the seats are brook as well... I am trying to picture in my head where you put the zip ties and how you got them to tight? I would assume you drilled holes in the bracket that was used?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by KnightRider3575
Question, I took the seat back off an noticed that the bottom two clips are broken on both of my seats but also the hooks in the middle of the seats are brook as well... I am trying to picture in my head where you put the zip ties and how you got them to tight? I would assume you drilled holes in the bracket that was used?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know how the zip ties attach.

However, in case it might help, there is a TSB on this problem. Make sure to follow the instructions at the top of the post to access the document.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/ TSB #08-008.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

I don't know how the zip ties attach.

However, in case it might help, there is a TSB on this problem. Make sure to follow the instructions at the top of the post to access the document.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613659 TSB #08-008.
Yeah I read that TSB but after looking at the back of my seat back, the middle clips are broken as well as the lower clips so I am worried as reported by others that the clips are just going to break again...

Thanks though for trying
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I too, would like to know about the zip tie fix. I've blown $20.00 on those damn clips! On my last attempt, I noticed that the clips are strong enough, they just pop out of the housing (like has been mentioned already). I took some Lock Tite brand two part plastic epoxy and built up the spot that the clips slid into on the seat back. However, I was growing impatient and didn't let the stuff cure for the recommended 24+ hours. They are sticking now, but I fear they will pop off again. Checked with the dealer for the new seat backs...$200+ each! If someone has pictures of the zip tie maneuver, I'd appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
For those wondering about the zip ties, I PM'ed VanGuy and this is his response.:

Buy some large garbage zip ties from the dollar store. Get the big ones. Loop the tie around the metal spring on the back of the floppy seat back then around any available metal part on the seat structure. Do this near the bottom of the seat. Pull the zip tie tight & the seat back will be slowly pulled closer to the seat structure. You will be left with a long piece of zip tie sticking out of the bottom of the seat. You can cut this off or tuck this excess back into the seat itself. You can re-post this in the forum. Just take a look at the seat & seat back & use common sense. You really shouldn't be too confused by the process. Good Luck
The following 2 users liked this post by SurfingScotty:
Bearcat94 (10-17-2011), mcmguti (05-17-2012)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Front seat back clips problem!!

I repaired mine with large tie straps in about 10 minutes!!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Fixing the back seat of a acura tl

I was able to fix the back seat by simply prying the old black spring pull connector out of its slotted hole in the metal seat frame. I used a large screw driver and pried it out of the frame. The new one simply snaps in to place. See photos

Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
The OP was talking about the FRONT seat; seatbacks. You are talking about the rear seat bottom cushion. But yea that's a problem area too, I've broken those plastic tabs on the rear seat using too much force.

The problem with the front seat seatbacks is that they require so much pressure to stay in. Pressure from the side bolsters that transmits to the sides of the sideback doesn't help. So this is the job of 2 measly trim clips that grip into holes in the metal frame. The clips sit in a plastic frame itself. Another mistake and waiting to break. This should have been designed with some kind of metal/sturdy fastening. Not plastic. Worse of all these look 98% the same as the other trim clips in the cabin, except regular trim clips won't work here. It has to be THIS specific part. And it is NOT cheap. (Worth like $.10 but the charge something like $6 for them!) They have to be banged into place and it's a 1 shot deal because they are like arrowheads. If you need to take them out you break them. They will break on your first attempt to fix if they are not aligned perfect. I was stupid enough to try twice and screw up. Acura KNOWS this is a problem and actually has a retrofit kit with upgraded bracket that costs close to $200. lol. yea OK.

Zip tie them. Trust me, takes 5 minutes, costs hardly nothing, easily reversible if needed. Problem fixed.