Did so much work to my car, but its still bumpy

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did so much work to my car, but its still bumpy

I have done so much work to my car over the past 2 months and I've noticed its still doesn't ride like it used to. What I mean is the way it goes over bumps especially on the highway. Before when going over little bumps here and there on the highway I would never notice it and it would be a very quiet ride. Now, anytime I go over a bump even if its like 40 mph it makes a huge thud noise (okay maybe its not that loud, but much louder than what it used to be) and I notice my ride not maybe absorb the initial impact? Idk but here's what I've done to my car so far:

Compliance Bushings
Shocks
Struts
Alignment
New Tires

I just want it to feel like how it used when it had 60k miles. Now it has 100k.

BTW this is an 08 type s.

Any other TLers with the same issue? Any areas I should look further into? Please help. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
MonkeyTrucker (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by zubi23
but here's what I've done to my car so far:

Compliance Bushings
Shocks
Struts
Alignment
New Tires

I just want it to feel like how it used when it had 60k miles. Now it has 100k.
Engine mounts is probably the other big one, specifically the front and back. Search a few threads and you'll see lots of discussions on the topic, including one linked below. I'm just about to replace mine. You're definitely on the right path though - good luck finding the answer!

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...mounts-931949/
The following 2 users liked this post by triax37:
EvilVirus (06-29-2015), MonkeyTrucker (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
2nd on engine mounts
Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Racer

sorry dumb questions: how do engine mounts impact rideability?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
sorry dumb questions: how do engine mounts impact rideability?
Feel like there's a weight slinging around in the front (heavy feeling). When you leave a stop sign quickly you can sometimes hear a clunking sound, same when you stop quickly. When going over bumps it can be especially bumpy or clunky too. Just generally feels like the car is fatter and often accompanied with clunking.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Racer

okay cool, I'll look up engine mounts on see if theres a DIY for it.

Anything else I should look into?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Registered Bunny

You've done most things that can have such an impact.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Have you checked your stabilizer end links? When I installed my ASPEC suspension, I noticed my endlinks were bad ( didn't hear the clunk before with my stock suspension ) I still replaced the struts and drove a bit with that clunking noise until I replaced the rear end link. It was only one side but I decided to replace both.

Are you able to tell where the noise is coming from? Front or Rear of car?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
check the following. Suspension component such as upper/lower control arm, lower ball joint to see if it has any movement, check most of your motor mount see any crack develop.

I hope this video will help.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
I wanted to say thanks to the members who responded and it's quite refreshing to see other members attempt to help another out instead of tripe mouthpieces and their "two cents." So sick of a select few on here calling others out about searches and with general poor attitudes. So thanks!

I happen to be having a clunking in the front passenger area as well, so double thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Have you checked your stabilizer end links? When I installed my ASPEC suspension, I noticed my endlinks were bad ( didn't hear the clunk before with my stock suspension ) I still replaced the struts and drove a bit with that clunking noise until I replaced the rear end link. It was only one side but I decided to replace both.

Are you able to tell where the noise is coming from? Front or Rear of car?
the noise is def coming from the front. When I took the car to the dealer not too long ago they said everything looked fine except for some wear on the struts and shocks. Maybe they didn't look hard enough. I hear a thud anytime I go over a bump and I feel it in the front. Idk what you guys mean by "clunking" for me its one clunk and thats it when going over bumps.

Last edited by zubi23; 06-30-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
the noise is def coming from the front. When I took the car to the dealer not too long ago they said everything looked fine except for some wear on the struts and shocks. Maybe they didn't look hard enough. I hear a thud anytime I go over a bump and I feel it in the front. Idk what you guys mean by "clunking" for me its one clunk and thats it when going over bumps.

if it was an endlink the clunk wont be just one time.
PAssenger side mount sounds more like the culprit.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Racer

passenger side engine mount?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered Bunny

passenger side engine mount?
There's 3 motor mounts. Passenger side is referring to the one in that location.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Life Connoisseur

Thanks guys, finally got off my ass and looked at the mount. Passenger motor mount looks to be my culprit, at least the clunking over bumps I presume. Hope this also clears up vibrations at and beyond Interstate speeds Think it will?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Life Connoisseur

Good write-up here on replacing the mount for those interested. No biggie, done these before on other vehicles.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Thanks guys, finally got off my ass and looked at the mount. Passenger motor mount looks to be my culprit, at least the clunking over bumps I presume. Hope this also clears up vibrations at and beyond Interstate speeds Think it will?

Hard to say, there's so many things. The slight imbalance either tires or alignment could create that at faster speeds. But you'll know once you change it!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by polobunny
Hard to say, there's so many things. The slight imbalance either tires or alignment could create that at faster speeds. But you'll know once you change it!
Hope it's it, had new tires and alignment done within a month ago.

Wished I hadn't been so lazy, work at home a lot and won't need the car for a few weeks, but now have to drive a CR-V for a 600 mile round-trip on Sunday instead of the TL. Unless, I can find this locally for realistic prices.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered Bunny

A bit last second indeed! Best of luck.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Look into the sway bar endlinks also. They do wear well before 100k miles. Mine were making a bit of a "thud" sound going over small imperfections on the road. If replaced, it should help reduce a bit of body roll because your sway bars will be working as they should again. It'll tighten up the car just a bit.

But yes, the engine mounts are a must to begin with!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Look into the sway bar endlinks also. They do wear well before 100k miles. Mine were making a bit of a "thud" sound going over small imperfections on the road. If replaced, it should help reduce a bit of body roll because your sway bars will be working as they should again. It'll tighten up the car just a bit.

But yes, the engine mounts are a must to begin with!
Yeah, that was my original guess as to my problem, but decided to look under the hood before jacking the car up. Better yet, I'm going to jack it up and check the end links as well, be a fool not too at this point
Old 07-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do replace the passenger mount you might want to look at doing the front and rear as well. My passenger motor mount looked like yours with the rubber cracked and not only was it toast, the front was totally separated. You can't tell when it's under the engine's weight but once I unbolted the front mount and jacked up the engine it just came apart. The passenger side was so loose that you could move it easily with one finger.

My TL has 65K if that helps. My upper transmission mount was also toast and I'm guessing the rear is as well. My guess is more than one mount in your case is probably in need of replacement .
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Racer

I'm definitely going to look into the sway bar because I notice the thud when going over slight imperfections of the road. I've been paying more attention to the thud and it actually happens in the rear just not as noticeable as the front. Would the mounts and sway bar cause this issue in the front and back?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Life Connoisseur

Could you guys help me out a bit further, I've decided to do all the mounts, transmission and engine, whether needed or not. Passenger side is easy to ascertain the part. For the front and rear engine mounts, are you replacing an entire unit or just the rubber? Same for transmission mounts. Can anyone that's replaced their mounts identify what I need at the very least for the engine and transmission.

Are the front and rear engine mounts actually part #8 and #12 above? Again, #11 is easy to identify as the passenger mount, the others not so much. Are you replacing other pieces along with the rubber? Are #14 and #10 rubber too that should be replaced?

Are #15, #16, #17 the only pieces required to replace the transmission mounts? Should #18 be replaced as well?

Figured as good a time as any when I put on HFPC and a new J-Pipe in the coming weeks. I'll likely make a DIY, didn't see any in the garage for engine/transmission mounts. Becoming more relevant as our cars age.

How about those vacuum hoses, why, how, and what purpose do these play with mounts? Can't say I've seen vacuum hoses attached to mounts before, what is at work here?

Thanks in advance!

Picture and part #s came from this link.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 07-03-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Good words joz00. Sounds like good advice.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you guys help me out a bit further, I've decided to do all the mounts, transmission and engine, whether needed or not. Passenger side is easy to ascertain the part. For the front and rear engine mounts, are you replacing an entire unit or just the rubber? Same for transmission mounts. Can anyone that's replaced their mounts identify what I need at the very least for the engine and transmission.

Are the front and rear engine mounts actually part #8 and #12 above? Again, #11 is easy to identify as the passenger mount, the others not so much. Are you replacing other pieces along with the rubber? Are #14 and #10 rubber too that should be replaced?

Are #15, #16, #17 the only pieces required to replace the transmission mounts? Should #18 be replaced as well?

Figured as good a time as any when I put on HFPC and a new J-Pipe in the coming weeks. I'll likely make a DIY, didn't see any in the garage for engine/transmission mounts. Becoming more relevant as our cars age.

How about those vacuum hoses, why, how, and what purpose do these play with mounts? Can't say I've seen vacuum hoses attached to mounts before, what is at work here?

Thanks in advance!

Picture and part #s came from this link.
This is the front mount as an example:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31RFctNsDEL.jpg

If you google "[your year] acura tl front motor mount" you will get a bunch of results which will show you what the part is that you are replacing. Do that for all of the mounts to get an idea of the parts are.

There are three engine mounts (Front, passenger side, rear) and three transmission mounts (upper and two lower).

There are a number of great threads here that go over replacing the motor mounts which were very helpful. They include pictures and explanations of what you will have to remove to get to the mounts.

If you've decided to replace the mounts I would say your next decision is whether to replace them with OEM or after market such as XLR8 or Innovative mounts. I would google "XLR8 motor mount acurazine" and read through the numerous threads to help you decide which way to go. Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joz00
If you do replace the passenger mount you might want to look at doing the front and rear as well. My passenger motor mount looked like yours with the rubber cracked and not only was it toast, the front was totally separated. You can't tell when it's under the engine's weight but once I unbolted the front mount and jacked up the engine it just came apart. The passenger side was so loose that you could move it easily with one finger.

My TL has 65K if that helps. My upper transmission mount was also toast and I'm guessing the rear is as well. My guess is more than one mount in your case is probably in need of replacement .

hey can you please explain what symptoms your car had with the bad motor mounts.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Racer

Also, does anyone know the frequency to change out the rear sway bar links?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Also, does anyone know the frequency to change out the rear sway bar links?
Usually when the break or have a lot of play in them. My TL with 200K will probably get one in another 50K for some peace of mind.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Racer

so front are more common than rear?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
okay cool, I'll look up engine mounts on see if theres a DIY for it.

Anything else I should look into?
Had a similar problem, took it to Acura for an inspection. They said I need a new Tie Rod and ball joint. I also had all 6 mounts busted. I started with the least expensive work, which is the tie rod and ball joint and the clunk i had when driving and hitting a slight bump is gone. I'm not convinced the motor mount makes that much of a noise when you drive, you can def feel it, but not hear it as obviously as the ball joint and tie rod. If you want to be sure, pay the 99$ and have the car inspected at the dealer. They will come up with a nice list of things to do. You'll realize that no matter how much time and effort you put in, the next repair is always around the corner.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
so front are more common than rear?
yup since the weight up front therefore it take a beating.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone have advice on how to fix a slight thud/creaking in the rear of the car? The creaking sounds like its coming from the rear deck. I had all 3 motor mounts replaced about 2 months ago, as well as my compliance bushings. This fixed my front suspension tremendously, but the rear...when going over speed bumps, it's a little harsh
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cust0mx
Anyone have advice on how to fix a slight thud/creaking in the rear of the car? The creaking sounds like its coming from the rear deck. I had all 3 motor mounts replaced about 2 months ago, as well as my compliance bushings. This fixed my front suspension tremendously, but the rear...when going over speed bumps, it's a little harsh
Depends what the problem is. Jack the back and try to turn your back wheels from side to side and see if they are solid or they move a little. Could be some component of the suspension but if it is that, you should be able, if your careful, to hear if the noise comes from the right or left side
Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cust0mx
Best way to diagnose is to take out the rear seat and the rear deck cover and have another person drive while you stick foam and hold/tap pieces to reproduce the rattle. Also it could be the springs if they need some slight lubrication. White lithium grease works well!

Also check your sway bar rear end links, the bushing mounts (these can be torn with a upgraded swaybar and require welding back on).

Also jack up the rear and look for excessive play in the rear wheels.
cust0mx (07-10-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Racer

Okay I replaced the sway bar end links, and I still feel the "thud" everytime I go over a bump. I guess next up are those motor mounts.

I am going to mention that replacing the sway bar, the car feels better when turning, and hopefully I can do the motor mounts and my car will be like new. But first I have to fix my oil leak.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was it easy to change the end links? Did you use oem parts? Is there a diy in the garage section? Thanks, Sam
Old 07-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Okay I replaced the sway bar end links, and I still feel the "thud" everytime I go over a bump. I guess next up are those motor mounts.

I am going to mention that replacing the sway bar, the car feels better when turning, and hopefully I can do the motor mounts and my car will be like new. But first I have to fix my oil leak.
how were the sway bar bushings? Those cause a thump when the car twists if they are loose!

the end links are really easy to replace. Make sure you use tons of PB blaster. Use an allen key on the inside of the bolt and a cresent/box wrench on the bolt to undo it. You may need to apply heat to help it break free.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did the same thing and was trying to fix the vibration and thump. Ended up doing the front and side engine mount, upper transmission mount, both compliance bushing, new tires, and Tein drop. The car feels very good again, I just need to do the rear mount and it should be factory fresh again. Here is the kicker, everything was covered under my factory extended warranty so it helped the wallet out so i could do the drop and AME wheels/tires.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyN923
I just did the same thing and was trying to fix the vibration and thump. Ended up doing the front and side engine mount, upper transmission mount, both compliance bushing, new tires, and Tein drop. The car feels very good again, I just need to do the rear mount and it should be factory fresh again. Here is the kicker, everything was covered under my factory extended warranty so it helped the wallet out so i could do the drop and AME wheels/tires.
that's sweet! i wish i knew about these problems before I hit 100k miles.
TonyN923 (07-22-2015)

Quick Reply: Did so much work to my car, but its still bumpy