Dealership "Re-Programmed" 07 TL Type S computer??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
From CL-S to TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealership "Re-Programmed" 07 TL Type S computer??

I've gone through 430 posts from top to bottom and haven't found much on this, so if you find it, blame it on my tired eyes! I've learned so much here, that I hardly ever post questions!

I've had my TL-Type S for a year, 71K bought from Carmax with a warranty, no significant problems. I decide to tint my car two weeks ago, and while the tinter was rolling it on, my car battery died. He jumped the car, finished the tint, and I went home. The entire way home, the navi and radio restarted over and over, and once, all the lights restarted as well, and the car felt as if it lost power. i took it to Autozone, figuring I needed a new battery, and they tested and said it was the starter.

I took it to Acura, they tested it, it came back normal. they kept it all day while they 'ran more indepth battery tests' and came back with nothing. I took a 700 mile road trip that weekend, no more problems. The night after I get back home, the rebooting starts, and this time, the car cuts off and on while driving. I pull over turn it off and try to start again. I get a service message PO685 my emissions systems is malfunctioning. Then my check engine and oil light come on. Then I smell smoke through my vents and see a little from the exhaust. I turn the car off, call roadside assistance have them tow it back to Acura. The next day, this week, they call me that afternoon and tell me the computer just needed to be "re-programmed." They charged my warranty company 91.50, gave me my keys, and told me 'This is the first step in figuring out the problem.'

I have about 20K left on my warranty, but I'm confused as to
how basically, a 'hard reset' (from the tech) could stop smoke under my hood. Everything else, ok I get it - Acuras are like Windows PCs - reboot.

I really want to push this further, but I want to make sure I'm not just being a b****. I thought they would replace a computer that turns the car off multiple times while driving.

Background: I live and work 350 miles from my husband and my normal dealership. I've owned 8 cars, and yes, the sexism in the dealership still exists, so I normally let him deal with it or bring him with me, even though I know more about cars than he does This is my first time at this dealership for a problem.

Am I trippin' or should I be concerned? This is the only Acura dealership for at least 1.5 hours, and their level of service is NOT what I'm used to with my other dealer, who I can't get to for at least a month if I wanted to.

Thanks for the help, don't be too mean, I'm sensitive!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by OP
This is the first step in figuring out the problem.
unfortunately, tech's are not skilled any more and rely on computers and diagnostics to tell them whats wrong.

I wonder if the CEL codes are still stored on the car. have a local autozone read the codes for free. I tried to look up the code you gave, but that came back with zero results.

is it an auto or 6 speed manual?

Last edited by justnspace; 06-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
My navi was doing the same things there were updates for the navi as my battery was bad too and they thought that would fit the issue as well. My navi restarted, the keys gave a very delayed response after you touch them on the screen, the the last straw was when i put the car in reverse the cam wouldnt come on for 30sec. I have a thread about this. After Acura did all the updates and reflashed the navigation, it works great. I'm also a non Type-S 08.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
err, i replaced your O with an 0 and got some results.

Hum...."P0685 - Engine Control Module (ECM)/Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Power Control Circuit Malfunction"

Diagonostic procedure clears the DTC and sees if it reoccurs. Intermittent DTC indicates a loose connection in IGP line connectors...if the DTC does reoccur, "intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time"...if it reoccurs "Update ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM."

Because the car thew this code, the Dealer did do the correct procedure.