Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Old 10-02-2014, 04:39 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soniqfreq
BTW: What is the consensus on the best Coverlay color for ebony TL interiors? I may need to go with that as Plan B. It looks great in Will Y's post. Is that dark grey or black?
Good question.. anyone have an answer?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodooslab
Good question.. anyone have an answer?

Yes-- check Irving Roman Rodriguez's post #1243.

IRR did a good job showing and telling us about the Coverlay.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM
9th Gear

Has anyone ever wrapped their dash with carbon fiber vinyl like DiNoc? I am considering trying to do mine when I upgrade the audio system. Fill with vinyl epoxy smooth sand then wrap? Dinoc contours well to complex shapes.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 PM
9th Gear

So I ended up buying the coverlay dash cover and I really like it a lot. I didn't put any silicone or double sided tape underneath it.. it just fits in place.. took me like 2 minutes to install.. I highly recommend it for you people's with crack dashes.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong. The black coverlay is a better match than the dark grey? Just want to be positive before ordering.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM
7th Gear

Just called 2 local dealerships and both acted like I was the first person to ever ask about a cracked dash. One even said they talked to their "long time" interior guy, and he had never heard of cracked dash being a problem.

How much BS is that? Or am just that unlucky in my area. I live in Kansas City, but I bought the car 6 years ago in Dallas.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered from RockAuto - Here is my 2005 TL... easy to install and looks good! Silicone adhesive provided and took about 10 min to install. Apply and let dry... for 8hrs or so...
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (01-11-2015)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
hmmmm interesting
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FlyingR6
Just called 2 local dealerships and both acted like I was the first person to ever ask about a cracked dash. One even said they talked to their "long time" interior guy, and he had never heard of cracked dash being a problem.

How much BS is that? Or am just that unlucky in my area. I live in Kansas City, but I bought the car 6 years ago in Dallas.
That's much BS. They're either just really bad at their job or they are lying to you. This has been a nationwide problem, thousands have experienced it. Acura chose to ignore it and pretend like it didn't happen. Consider contacting the regional manager.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone in NY had this problem checked out at any dealer? how did it go? i got the same problem in my TL 3 cracks
Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 AM
10th Gear

I have an '04 TL, 110k miles. The dash started cracking in March of this year after we went from a warm day to a cold night. It picked up two more cracks (total 3) since March. All 3 cracks continue to grow.

I spoke with the dealer in April, and they just shrugged their shoulders...so what. It's due for an oil change soon, so I'm going to complain to the dealer about air bag safety. Maybe they'll give me a reduced price to replace.

It's ridiculous that a luxury car's dash would crack and the dealer would be apathetic. Mechanically, it's been a good car. But, I'll never buy another acura. I might end up buying the cover that Mr. Rodiguez posted a pic of.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Advanced

I have an 04' TL that is cracked up pretty badly at this point on the dash. I see the overlays as being a nice cheap option, I have a very dark gray interior, should I order the dark gray one or the black one? Were the pictures posted in this thread of all black overlays?
Old 01-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedeadmanx
I have an 04' TL that is cracked up pretty badly at this point on the dash. I see the overlays as being a nice cheap option, I have a very dark gray interior, should I order the dark gray one or the black one? Were the pictures posted in this thread of all black overlays?
Get the black one to match the original dash board.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Before you go and replace your dash on your own, Toyota just announced they will replace 4.5 million dash boards because of the same things that are happening to ours. I got a letter about my 2004 4runner, that has a cracked dash, saying they will replace it for free in a few months. I'm hoping Acura will join in and fix our TLs.
The following users liked this post:
mattymattB (01-21-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I installed the coverlay this weekend. Quality is good. There were few spots where I noticed it lift up because it was cold. Will need to re-apply some silicone but overall it looks good.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Dash removal on 2003

I have a dead phython under dash some were how do i remove the dash
Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM
8th Gear

Just noticed that my lovely crack lines On the dash are almost reaching the glove compartment...I've never paid attention to them but this is annoying
Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
My '04 TL finally developed a crack while parked at work outside while I was away on a business trip last week.

I'll admit i got lazy and didnt apply 303 for a while, but i felt the dash and it was still pliable beforehand.

Ugh, i guess i'll call the dealer and see whats up. Otherwise i'll just get a coverlay.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:46 PM
6th Gear

ACURA Blues
Could it be that Honda
Installed a faulty part
For I believe our dashboards
Were defective from the start

I bought a pre-owned Acura
TL - Two Thousand Four
Well maintained and blemish free
Couldn’t ask for more

But then the dashboard fractured
Right where the airbag sits
And soon the dash was covered
With ugly splits and slits

And as these cracks were spreading
There came another blight
I’d start the car and then I’d get
The airbag warning light

At first no claim to Acura
My car was hardly new
But then I learned of many folks
That this had happened to

So I called and wrote to Honda
And sent them photographs
But all I got was the runaround
And corporate belly laughs

One-by-one they told me
That cracks are normal wear
As for the airbags underneath
They simply just don’t care

I know it can be argued
As Honda Reps have stated
That dashboard cracks and airbag threats
Could never be related

I suggest they prove it
With data gained from tests
Otherwise to drive our cars
We might need armored vests

So if your dashboard’s broken
Or airbags give you fright
Please join me now to protest
It’s long past time we fight

Honda/Acura has succeeded in denying our claims and ignoring our safety because we have voiced our complaints individually.But if we join together and speak with a single public voice, I believe we can force them to address our safety concerns and offer fair compensation.At the very least, we can expose their dishonorable behavior.To get this started, please contact me directly at horse@cox.net.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
6th Gear

ACURA Blues
Could it be that Honda
Installed a faulty part
For I believe our dashboards
Were defective from the start

I bought a pre-owned Acura
TL - Two Thousand Four
Well maintained and blemish free
Couldn’t ask for more

But then the dashboard fractured
Right where the airbag sits
And soon the dash was covered
With ugly splits and slits

And as these cracks were spreading
There came another blight
I’d start the car and then I’d get
The airbag warning light

At first no claim to Acura
My car was hardly new
But then I learned of many folks
That this had happened to
So I called and wrote to Honda
And sent them photographs
But all I got was the runaround
And corporate belly laughs

One-by-one they told me
That cracks are normal wear
As for the airbags underneath
They simply just don’t care

I know it can be argued
As Honda Reps have stated
That dashboard cracks and airbag threats
Could never be related

I suggest they prove it
With data gained from tests
Otherwise to drive our cars
We might need armored vests

So if your dashboard’s broken
Or airbags give you fright
Please join me now to protest
It’s long past time we fight

Honda/Acura has succeeded in denying our claims and ignoring our safety because we have voiced our complaints individually.But if we join together and speak with a single public voice, I believe we can force them to address our safety concerns and offer fair compensation.At the very least, we can expose their dishonorable behavior.To get this started, please contact me directly at horse@cox.net.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

My name is Paul Fagan.I am one of the many owners of 3rd generation (2004-2008) Acura TL’s who are experiencing significant cracks in the passenger side dashboard and resulting SRS indicator lights suggesting a potentially dangerous airbag problem.Most of us have contacted dealers and Acura corporate headquarters for assistance and have uniformly been told the parts are not defective and the damage results from normal “wear and tear.”We know this to be a lie and believe Acura knows it also.
While a small number of us have received partial payment as compensation, the majority have been rudely dismissed without any offer of help.Acura steadfastly refuses to admit the parts were defective at installation and, for years, has refused to make the needed replacement or repairs.This must end.I think Acura has been successful at denying our claims because they have been too fragmented to gain public attention. It seems that in the absence of popular and media pressure, the company has been able to hide its bad faith and behavior.It’s time to expose them.
I suggest creating a common website or forum where those already and yet to be affected can post their complaints and condemn Acura’s dishonorable conduct. Then we can gain wider and more focused access to a larger influential audience.It may not persuade Acura to act honestly and responsibly but it certainly can influence consideration of all Honda products.Our intent would not be to further injure the company’s reputation; instead we will attempt to return it responsive customer service.Please join in getting this started by emailing me at horse@cox.net.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Just found a big ass crack more like cut in my dash. 06 TL with 108,000 miles.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

'04 Acura TL

I have an '04 Acura TL with the exact same dash cracking issue. Is the overlay really worth it?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Hey everyone. My 2001 TL dash has been cracking for quite some time now but has recently started getting much worse. I've been looking into fixes and covers to solve the problem when I stumbled across this thread. I saw other posters sharing their happiness with the Coverlay Black cover for the 2004 TL line which looks very similar to the original dash design. However, Coverlay does not officially sell that cover for the 2001 Tl.

Am I wrong in thinking that the 2001-2004 models are the same interior design? If anyone has any experience with this cover or knows the differences between these year's models I would appreciate some insight!

Link to the cover: Coverlay® - Acura TL 2004-2008 Dashboard Cover
Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 AM
9th Gear

Has anyone had a successful experience installing a Coverlay dash cover? I've tried to install with the supplied silicone, high temp Permatex RTV silicone/sealant, DAP contact cement, and most recently automotive GOOP. Prior to every installation attempt, I've cleaned the dash with Windex and rubbing alcohol. Every adhesive I've tried all lift off in the Cleveland summer weather. Does anyone have a solution for this issue. The Coverlay cover looks good, but I can't get it to stick to the dash.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ou8chief
Has anyone had a successful experience installing a Coverlay dash cover? I've tried to install with the supplied silicone, high temp Permatex RTV silicone/sealant, DAP contact cement, and most recently automotive GOOP. Prior to every installation attempt, I've cleaned the dash with Windex and rubbing alcohol. Every adhesive I've tried all lift off in the Cleveland summer weather. Does anyone have a solution for this issue. The Coverlay cover looks good, but I can't get it to stick to the dash.
The silicone didn't last a day for me in the TX heat. After i cleaned the silicone which was a bitch to do on the Coverlay, I used 3M double sided tape and its been over a week and so far so good. I do use the sun shades while the car is outside. I like the coverlay too but if the 3M tape also fails, I also don't know what to try next. I am hoping it holds up to the heat
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I have a suggestion (in fact, I used it to repair my falling headliner a few years back)- rubber cement- you apply on both meeting surfaces and wait 30 minutes before pressing them together- it will make for a permanent bond (usually you clamp the 2 pieces to be glues together, so in the case of a dash, you may need weights of some kind to apply pressure, like heavy books. It will be a permanent adhesion. I had failure of the double sided 3M tape as well as it applied to my headliner (I used the rubber cement on the 2 small squares of plastic that were held in place by the velcro in between the inside of the roof and the headliner). It works extremely well. just make sure to apply it carefully as it's very viscous and can get all over the place where you don't want it if you're not careful.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by zsameer
The silicone didn't last a day for me in the TX heat. After i cleaned the silicone which was a bitch to do on the Coverlay, I used 3M double sided tape and its been over a week and so far so good. I do use the sun shades while the car is outside. I like the coverlay too but if the 3M tape also fails, I also don't know what to try next. I am hoping it holds up to the heat
Thanks zsameer, 3M tape is next on my list. Do you have a decent amount of wiggle room to make adjustments with the double sided tape or is it once stuck to the dash your done? Is there any particular kind of 3M you used? There are lots of options. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I have a suggestion (in fact, I used it to repair my falling headliner a few years back)- rubber cement- you apply on both meeting surfaces and wait 30 minutes before pressing them together- it will make for a permanent bond (usually you clamp the 2 pieces to be glues together, so in the case of a dash, you may need weights of some kind to apply pressure, like heavy books. It will be a permanent adhesion. I had failure of the double sided 3M tape as well as it applied to my headliner (I used the rubber cement on the 2 small squares of plastic that were held in place by the velcro in between the inside of the roof and the headliner). It works extremely well. just make sure to apply it carefully as it's very viscous and can get all over the place where you don't want it if you're not careful.
Thank erdoc48, I have tried contact cement, but not rubber cement. Can you recommend a product?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
When I repaired my headliner, I used DAP Contact Cement - (sorry, I guess I didin't see that in your post -I think it's the same as rubber cement). I can't imagine that stuff failing. Usually in order for that to work, the 2 surfaces need to be held together, usually overnight, so like I said, clamping isn't practical so a few heavy books on the dash. That would apply with whatever you use (silicone, 3M tape, or contact cement)- the adhesive needs to be given a chance to dry for a good while during which the 2 surfaces need close contact. What's most important is to apply the product on both sides of the contact points, so it's cement to cement meeting- that's what gives the bond strength. It won't work any other way (like cement just on one side).

For my headliner, I even used epoxy prior to the contact cement (the 2 component mix) and it failed the next day. I guess the weight of the headliner is pretty decent.

Last edited by erdoc48; 05-29-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ou8chief
Thanks zsameer, 3M tape is next on my list. Do you have a decent amount of wiggle room to make adjustments with the double sided tape or is it once stuck to the dash your done? Is there any particular kind of 3M you used? There are lots of options. Thanks again.
I had some from another project. Its about an inch wide. I remember getting it from Lowes but cant remember which one. It was 3M for sure. Before you put pressure to make it stick you can still maneuver it but just be a little careful or have someone help you hold one side. I did it by my self and then I wedged books between the windshield and the dash to keep pressure for quite a few hours. So far everything is good. Around the speaker and airbag openings I cut it in the middle to make thin strips and the rest of the areas used the whole width of the tape.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Bump.

Well, I just noticed a single dashboard crack along the side of the passenger air bag this morning at the train station...it definitely was not there yesterday. It's been a rough last 6 months for the TL...
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DarkTower19
Bump.

Well, I just noticed a single dashboard crack along the side of the passenger air bag this morning at the train station...it definitely was not there yesterday. It's been a rough last 6 months for the TL...
Just noticed one on my 2006 this week on the right side of passenger airbag. 303 and sunshade along with keeping it in the garage didn't stop it.

Filed a complaint with Acura and they've been responsive so far, taking it to the local dealership today to see what they say about it. Saw another KC area post about them denying ever seeing it happen so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Dealership in Austin acknowledged nationwide the 04 TL have a problem with cracked dash. But since I did not frequent the service department they would only swap the dash if I bought a new car....lol Sad really. Acura hqtrs. pushed it to the area manager which of course went nowhere. I did however buy a new MDX but not from that dealer. I hope they take care of it for you, but don't hold your breathe. This dash issue is kinda like the mouse eating the only appetizing wire.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 PM
6th Gear

Well no luck at the dealer. With age (06) & mileage (157k) no discount either. Quoted $2,200 for the replacement so guess I'll either live with it or get an overlay unless they someday issue a recall on it.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Pro

Yeah, I contacted the service manager of my local dealer and he's looking into what (if anything) can be done. I know it's a long shot, but it's worth a try. Hoping for the best - expecting the worst.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Volunteer Firefighter

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkTower19
Yeah, I contacted the service manager of my local dealer and he's looking into what (if anything) can be done. I know it's a long shot, but it's worth a try. Hoping for the best - expecting the worst.

my dash just cracked this morning and looks almost identical to that ^ as of right now I only have the left crack. Was not there 3 days ago when I last drove it. I use the covercraft thick folding sunshade and 303 to protect the dash but now I know it was just a matter of time.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Pro

Yeah, it sucks for sure, but what can you do?...it was just a matter of time. Dealer offered to cover some of it - but I'd still need to pay out over $500 for the new dash. Still not sure what I want to do.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like pictures in Post 1282, 83 same issue. 2006 TL. Garage kept for 6 of 9 years. 97 Pontiac Grand Prix for 13 years. No issues.

Last edited by DeMAN; 08-11-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 PM
10th Gear

I'm planning on ordering the Coverlay to cover the cracks in my dashboard. Does anyone who has installed the Coverlay have any comments about its quality? It looks like several people installed it over a year ago.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL