Clutch sticking and engaging low to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch sticking and engaging low to the floor

So my clutch occasionally releases very slowly. When it does that it also grabs almost immediately. I also noticed that, in the morning, when I start the car it will buck a little and it will be damn near impossible to pull it out of first gear. However, if I put it in neutral first and then start the car, I can pump the clutch a couple of times and it will go into reverse fine.

The thing I have to stress is that these things are intermittent. It doesn't do this every time. And while driving I can notice the clutch stick and grab low on some shifts and then it will be perfectly fine for a few shifts before it happens again. That makes me think the problem is hydraulic and maybe there is something leaking or sticking intermittently.

My first step was to replace the master cylinder. I had the notorious clicking/popping/squeaking issue and no lubricant made it go away permanently. I wanted to change the MC anyways so it seemed like a reasonable thing to try first. I replaced it and everything seemed great for a few days. But the slow pedal return and low engagement point returned today. It is almost like doing the MC replacement eliminated the symptom for a few days but the problem was still there and slowly caused whatever the issue is to build up over time. Again, it still feels like a hydraulic issue.

I did some searching and most people said it was a pressure plate problem. What wasn't clear was whether or not their problem was intermittent or constant. They also tended to have a stiff pedal, which I don't. Some people also claimed to solve similar problems by replacing the slave cylinder and/or deleting the check valve.

Please comment on any experiences or suggestions you all have.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like clutch drag. Could be caused by pressure plate, loss of hydraulic pressure (leak/rupture/air in system) or a bad master. Have you noticed the issue happening or being worse in cold start conditions?

Did this just start happening one day? Not like you just threw a new clutch in or did some work on the car right?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bogie
Sounds like clutch drag. Could be caused by pressure plate, loss of hydraulic pressure (leak/rupture/air in system) or a bad master. Have you noticed the issue happening or being worse in cold start conditions?

Did this just start happening one day? Not like you just threw a new clutch in or did some work on the car right?

It is possible that it built up gradually but there was clearly a day when the clutch started to grab at a really low pedal position and release very slowly. It is hard to say but I think the pedal does feel different right before it happens. If I pump the clutch one time, it goes away until the next time. Again, it is definitely on and off. When the clutch grabs, it feels solid. I would just give in and say the clutch needs a total overhaul but the intermittent nature of the problem gives me pause. I don't want to replace the entire clutch just to have this return a few days later and then find it to be a hydraulic leak somewhere.

I already replaced the master cylinder. That didn't solve the problem.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Anyone? Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions? Perhaps I should have them flush the fluid now that the MC was replaced? Anyone???????
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the same problem however it happens after i floor it, I'm assuming the clutch is slipping and getting to hot and sticking, goes away after it cools down about 10 seconds or so...just bought the car and not too happy about it because once in a while i want to use all the power this car has and i can't, anyone know what a clutch job should run me?