Clutch Slipping After Only 40K Miles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Clutch Slipping After Only 40K Miles!

My clutch is slipping in 4th gear only 40K miles after replacement. I used the LUK kit that almost everyone here suggests. I have since learned that there are a few of those reporting issues with the LUK clutch and the Exedy kit is the GENUINE OEM replacement. I've since discussed this with LUK tech support and was told that at 180K miles, I should have also replaced the flywheel. I now have 220K miles and if I have to do it again, I'll try the Exedy kit. And although I have good power, the car seems to have that 'something's holding it back feeling' when I accelerate. My highway gas mileage is OK and performance at highway speeds remains stellar, but my all around mileage is off by a few MPG. I've done everything else that I can think of to alleviate the problem including regular maintenance:

- New Spark plugs
- Valve adjustment
- Timing belt job
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Replaced the PCV valve
- Replaced the air filter
- Changed the trans oil

The original clutch lasted 180K miles and I drive very conservatively. Might the clutch installation be at fault even though it ran fine for 10's of thousands of miles afterwards? Could LUK tech support be right about the flywheel being worn? What else am I missing?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Have not worked on any cars equipped with a DMF, but seems as though a defective DMF can cause slippgage::
http://www.valeoservice.com/data/mas...78.pdf?rnd=102

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
.... I have since learned that there are a few of those reporting issues with the LUK clutch ....
Never heard this before. Where are you getting this from?

Originally Posted by DMZ
.... I've since discussed this with LUK tech support and was told that at 180K miles, I should have also replaced the flywheel...

Originally Posted by DMZ
.... And although I have good power, the car seems to have that 'something's holding it back feeling' when I accelerate...
It's not clear to me that this can be attributed to a slipping clutch....
Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Looked on ebaY for the Exedy clutch kit. The kit's parts list on some of the listings show :

• Exedy/ LuK Self-Adjusting Pressure Plate
  • Exedy/ LuK Clutch Disc (240 mm, 24 spline)
  • Release Bearing
  • Alignment Tool
  • Installation Guide
I found that interesting, so I called Rockauto and was told that Exedy buys from LUK and just repackages it under their name! Something that's apparently commonplace in the auto parts industry. Same goes for the flywheels they sell, so it's gonna be LUK all the way!

The few negative reviews on the LUK I read (still don't remember where) were from performance/racing drivers.

Last edited by DMZ; 03-02-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
.... And although I have good power, the car seems to have that 'something's holding it back feeling' when I accelerate...

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
...It's not clear to me that this can be attributed to a slipping clutch....
For clarity I'm going to say the same thing. I'm assuming you are also getting a rev increase without any speed increase. The one clutch I've had that slipped (different car) was pretty obvious even at it's first signs. Tach up with no speed up, clear as day. I just didn't see you say it anywhere.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:07 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post

For clarity I'm going to say the same thing. I'm assuming you are also getting a rev increase without any speed increase. The one clutch I've had that slipped (different car) was pretty obvious even at it's first signs. Tach up with no speed up, clear as day. I just didn't see you say it anywhere.
Sorry Adobeman, but your assumption is incorrect. I didn't say it because there isn't. I'm not getting a rev increase except occasionally in 4th gear.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Sorry Adobeman, but your assumption is incorrect. I didn't say it because there isn't. I'm not getting a rev increase except occasionally in 4th gear.
Confused... You say my assumption (about a rev up) is bad but then say you occasionally get a rev up in 4th. I'd expect you'd see it in 4th or higher well before 2 or 3.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Confused... You say my assumption (about a rev up) is bad but then say you occasionally get a rev up in 4th. I'd expect you'd see it in 4th or higher well before 2 or 3.
What concerns me is I get that something's holding it back feeling while accelerating in the lower gears without the revving that usually accompanies a clutch going south.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the pedal? Might not be engaging 100%
Old 03-06-2015, 06:51 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
Have you tried to adjust the pedal? Might not be engaging 100%
Been there. Done that. Definitely not a pedal issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
It is with a heavy heart that I found this thread.
I too had my clutch replaced, AT A HONDA DEALERSHIP!!!! 37K miles ago, with; LUK 8047 clutch, LUK DMF105 and new master and slave cylinders.

Ever since then the clutch pedal has always felt, inconsistent; sometimes it would grab instantly, sometimes not til all the way up, sometimes for the entire stroke of the pedal. I should've brought it back to Honda ASAP, but I just attributed it to being a Self-Adjusting Clutch, that it was still "adjusting itself" and it'll sort itself out eventually. That was when I was working my old job, driving only 30miles a day, with zero traffic, in NW jersey. No other problems other than inconsistent pedal engagement.

Now with my new job I'm driving 80miles/day, (20miles outside NYC) and you guessed it... mucho traffico. Whenever I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (evening commute) the clutch will always slip in higher gears once traffic starts moving again. My morning commute with minimal traffic, the clutch is perfect.
After Googling "Acura TL defective LUK clutch", it was this thread along with the following one which really has me hating myself for not checking the pressure plate out before dropping it off at Honda
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...inside-860524/

I'm very mechanically inclined; I've rebuilt the short-block in my Subaru with forged internals and can pull the long-block in under an hour, but the things that scare me about the TL's clutch job is; bracing the engine (I'll probably do it with my cherry-picker) and dropping the sub-frame. Should be a nice long weekend project, this time with a typical single mass flywheel and sprung clutch disc.