Changed starter still doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Glad it's running. I've found that keeping a good well charged battery seems to help starter life over the long haul.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
OMG its exactly what we suspected.....................thats great that it is running, but WTH. You had even previously stated that the ignition was in the run position. This completely makes me want to never help diagnose another issue ever for random posters. You didnt even personally perform the minimal tests. You would have never even had to take it to the dealer for their mis-diagnosis if you would have only known how to bump start a manual...........where has this world gone.................shoot me now!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. I did the same thing here and need some confirmation. Car is automatic. I've been having problems with trouble starting it before. What I had to do was I had to snap the ignition key to crank position so it would start. If I turned it like any other way I would on any car it would refuse to start(i also hear the buzzing sound by the steering wheel but from digging in the forum this is "normal").

Anyway it had finally stopped starting (probably cuz of the cold snap weather too). Battery is okay, tried jumping it too and no start. We replaced the starter. It didn't start (although it did start twice randomly). My friends uncle who's a mechanic had him run through the gears while holding the key on. I believe that's when he got it to start. He believes now that it's the neutral safety switch. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys I should also say that I hear a clicking sound in the fuse box every time I try to crank/start the car. Is that normal? Sounds like a relay and wondering if I should start with that maybe. TIA

I also now noticed that sometimes my CEL flashes. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm starting to lean more towards the neutral safety switch as suggested and after research I've read that it will cause a CEL if it's defective (switch is aka transmission range sensor) and intermittent starts.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
My guess is a bad ignition switch (this assumes that the battery is good). The clicking sound in the fuse box is the starter cut relay. That sound is caused by an undervoltage being supplied to that relay. Usually the cause of under voltage is either a bad battery, bad battery connections or a bad ignition switch. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by vgorous
Hey guys I should also say that I hear a clicking sound in the fuse box every time I try to crank/start the car. Is that normal? Sounds like a relay and wondering if I should start with that maybe. TIA

I also now noticed that sometimes my CEL flashes. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm starting to lean more towards the neutral safety switch as suggested and after research I've read that it will cause a CEL if it's defective (switch is aka transmission range sensor) and intermittent starts.
Get the CEL code. There's a million things it could be, and last thing you'd want is for a "simple" CEL to hide a more problematic one.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
My guess is a bad ignition switch (this assumes that the battery is good). The clicking sound in the fuse box is the starter cut relay. That sound is caused by an undervoltage being supplied to that relay. Usually the cause of under voltage is either a bad battery, bad battery connections or a bad ignition switch. Good luck!
Would trying to jump start the car eliminate the possibility of not being a bad battery or low voltage since I'm connecting another supply of power? Because I've already done that and the car refused to start before. My connections seem to be all good.

Thanks about the info on the clicking sound.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
^^ not really. You should be able to take the battery to a parts store for a free load test.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by erg69
^^ not really. You should be able to take the battery to a parts store for a free load test.
Sorry guys, but I'm in Canada and nothings ever free here

Thanks for the recommendation and info and will take it into consideration.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Sorry guys, but I'm in Canada and nothings ever free here

Thanks for the recommendation and info and will take it into consideration.
What battery is it? OEM? Otherwise if it's one available at Canadian Tire you could always get them to test it hehehe

Also you can use a multimeter to test battery & alternator voltage.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polobunny
What battery is it? OEM? Otherwise if it's one available at Canadian Tire you could always get them to test it hehehe

Also you can use a multimeter to test battery & alternator voltage.
I ended up taking it to Canadian Tire! It was low on CCA but the battery hasn't really been charged and has been sitting in a cold garage for two days. Anyway I got a new battery and the car still has problems starting.

1) replaced starter
2) replaced transmission range switch
3) replaced battery
4) ignition switch next?

The car does start because it's in my garage. It's never on the first try.i am most likely to crank the car if I snap the key to crank position. For some reason though, it hates really really cold weather.

Is there a recall on the ignition switch?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Ok a bit of an update. After a bit more troubleshooting, I have somewhat determined what the buzzing sound was every time I turn the key. People said it's normal, and there's no way it was normal. I also believed that the buzzing sound would have to be directly linked to my starting problems.

There is a relay/solenoid just by the kick panel under the steering wheel.

I kept pulling each relays out and then turned the key if the buzzing would go away. It did exactly that on the one labeled as "ST CUT".

Where is the ignition switch located?
Attached Thumbnails Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150124_150353.jpg   Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150124_150404.jpg   Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150124_150410.jpg   Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150124_150425.jpg  

Last edited by vgorous; 01-24-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Good find! This is your starter cut relay and I would suspect it as being the culprit. The relay contact may be stuck open or there may be too much resistance on the contact to prevent good voltage or current flow. Swap it with one of your other relays that are the same part number and see if your car starts.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Race Director

Ok a bit of an update. After a bit more troubleshooting, I have somewhat determined what the buzzing sound was every time I turn the key. People said it's normal, and there's no way it was normal. I also believed that the buzzing sound would have to be directly linked to my starting problems.

There is a relay/solenoid just by the kick panel under the steering wheel.

I kept pulling each relays out and then turned the key if the buzzing would go away. It did exactly that on the one labeled as "ST CUT".

Where is the ignition switch located?
But I already told you all this in post #85. The ignition switch is in the steering column where your key goes. Again, the ignition switch is about the only part in the chain that hasn't been ruled out. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
NBP04TL4ME (01-25-2015), vgorous (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Race Director

... It's never on the first try.i am most likely to crank the car if I snap the key to crank position....
And this is further evidence suggesting the ignition switch is the culprit....
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

But I already told you all this in post #85. The ignition switch is in the steering column where your key goes. Again, the ignition switch is about the only part in the chain that hasn't been ruled out. Good luck!
Thank you!

I'm assuming I have to remove the steering wheel to get the covers off to get to the ignition switch. I've disconnected the airbag last night and plugged it back in again today but noticed that I have the airbag light on. Maybe and hopefully I just didnt snap the connectors in properly, or do I need vagcom to reset the light?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Race Director

Thank you!

I'm assuming I have to remove the steering wheel to get the covers off to get to the ignition switch. I've disconnected the airbag last night and plugged it back in again today but noticed that I have the airbag light on. Maybe and hopefully I just didnt snap the connectors in properly, or do I need vagcom to reset the light?
Sorry, I'm not SRS smart. Hopefully it's just a connection issue. I can't imagine that disconnecting/reconnecting would require a reset. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this issue.

And I can't offer much info on a DIY for replacing the switch. But you DO NOT need to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the covers. I removed the covers when doing my remote start and IIRC, it's just a couple of screws on the bottom cover.
vgorous (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Sorry, I'm not SRS smart. Hopefully it's just a connection issue. I can't imagine that disconnecting/reconnecting would require a reset. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this issue.

And I can't offer much info on a DIY for replacing the switch. But you DO NOT need to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the covers. I removed the covers when doing my remote start and IIRC, it's just a couple of screws on the bottom cover.
Ok, I looked at some broken down diagram of the steering wheel and it did looked to me like I didnt need to remove the steering wheel to remove the covers. I saw the screws but it was still difficult to remove and didnt want to break anything.

I just called canadian tire asking how much it would cost to replace the ignition switch. He said it could get very expensive and it may also require reflashing.Is this true?

I've read many times people saying here "oh it may be the ignition switch" but havent seen and DIY's or anything about what's involved to doing that.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Race Director

^^^ They must be mistaking the ignition switch with the ring immobilizer unit. AFAIK, this (replacing the switch) is an easy DIY and will absolutely not require any reflashing.

I think you need part #9 in this diagram. Hopefully someone else can confirm:

OEM Acura TL 2004 COMBINATION SWITCH parts
vgorous (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

^^^ They must be mistaking the ignition switch with the ring immobilizer unit. AFAIK, this (replacing the switch) is an easy DIY and will absolutely not require any reflashing.

I think you need part #9 in this diagram. Hopefully someone else can confirm:

OEM Acura TL 2004 COMBINATION SWITCH parts
The moment you said that I could remove the cover without removal of steering wheel really helped (although been very helpful amongst other things).

I pulled out the switch and as you can see, the contacts are pitted probably due to arcing from all these years. What I noticed was there's a bit of wiggle room from the peg to the switch so when cranking it with the key, it doesn't go into full contact position. If I do it with a screwdriver, it starts on first crank.

I'll do a DIY article once I get a replacement switch.

edit: I also wanted to point out that the airbag light went away. It was just a connection issue.
Attached Thumbnails Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150125_155057.jpg   Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150125_155221.jpg   Changed starter still doesn't work-img_20150125_164417.jpg  

Last edited by vgorous; 01-25-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I was about to say, if pop starting it wouldn't get it running, it's not the starter.

Lone behold the "helper" was an idiot.

My vote was going to be for a bad ground. It's amazing how a bad ground can really F things up. My grand prix had all lights and everything come on perfectly but it wouldn't turn over. Battery tested good, starter was fine. I "checked" the ground wire but really didn't inspect it properly. Once I pulled back the insulation on the ground wire, I realized it was corroded beyond belief. I also cleaned up all of the ground to the body/motor/tranny.

Car fired up immediately after that.

Glad you got it fixed, next time, have someone help you who can tie his own shoes. I would have been pissed!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The moment you said that I could remove the cover without removal of steering wheel really helped (although been very helpful amongst other things).

I pulled out the switch and as you can see, the contacts are pitted probably due to arcing from all these years. What I noticed was there's a bit of wiggle room from the peg to the switch so when cranking it with the key, it doesn't go into full contact position. If I do it with a screwdriver, it starts on first crank.

I'll do a DIY article once I get a replacement switch.

edit: I also wanted to point out that the airbag light went away. It was just a connection issue.
Did you have a lot of keys attached to your car key? I've heard that your ignition starts failing if your key ring has a lot of keys hanging from it and the weight on ignition switch ends up failing. Not sure if it's true but just thought that I'd ask so the rest of us can lookout for it.

Thanks.