Acura TL '04 MT whining sound in first gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Acura TL '04 MT whining sound in first gear.

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed a whining sound when moving from a stop, sounds like some cars in reverse or a very similar sound to a supercharger. It only happens on first gear, not in second, not in reverse. If I coast in neutral doesn't sound, but it does if I coast in first gear. Standing still and revving up in neutral doesn't sound, so it couldn't be the alternator nor the steering pump. I'm not sure but I think I heard it with first gear engaged but pressing the clutch, but I'm not sure..

The gear engage as good as always. I would like to point out that this started to happen after doing some crazy burnouts in the dragstrip... I hope my tranny won't blow up one of these days. Could be the differential? or the first gear? I'm planning to change the transmission fluid and see what happens, I changed it last year with the famous syncrhomesh.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Probably won't help, check fluid, but you'll find it's inside the trans.
When clutch is disengaged, pedal down, the clutch disc stops turning and therefore so does the trans input shaft,
bearings, gears inside the trans.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Hi, thanks for reply,

How I do check the fluid level? there is no dipstick on this manual transmission. And I'm started to think it's the first gear bearing..
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by _Camus_
I would like to point out that this started to happen after doing some crazy burnouts in the dragstrip.
Keep right on doing those crazy burnouts and you'll need a clutch faster than you can say Jack Frost. This is not a race car!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
sounds like a worn bearing inside the trans for first gear of some kind. Doing burnouts isn't good for any car, esp one with higher miles! Change the fluid and look for particles (metallic or regular) in the old fluid!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Ok I'll stop with the burnouts, the track here is smooth and slippery so I really need to keep up the heat on the tires to make them stick. However the transmission is more important than a number, so I'll stop. Next week I'll change the fluid as you suggested and see if got better. If not it sounds like an expensive labor to do

If the bearing is on its way out how much time do I have? Or is one of these issues that I need to wait to get it worse to change it?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Zero time. If it's making noise it's bad, now if you want to keep driving the car, who knows how long it will last,
and if and when it eventually lets go, it might mean additional work to do the repairs.
I'm a firm believer that when something goes array, fix the problem, but many don't want to shell out additonal
monies they don't have so they try and band-aide the problem and keep on driving.

If you're going to drive the car hard, got to keep money aside to pay for the problems that will arise.
Chances are that when the trans is pulled, it will be time for a clutch assembly and possibly a flywheel, so better
have deep pockets, especially if you can't do the work yourself.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

I just replaced the clutch two months ago with the Luk Excedy, that's why I was abusing a little since it's new (I did took time to the break in period). I'll check with the fluid change first, but since it only sounds in first gear and not the others I'am not that positive that the sound will go away. I already contacted a mechanic to do the labor in case of, told me that it may cost around ~ $1000 usd, so I'll bite the bullet.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs up

I just replaced the clutch two months ago with the Luk Excedy, that's why I was abusing a little since it's new (I did took time to the break in period). I'll check with the fluid change first, but since it only sounds in first gear and not the others I'am not that positive that the sound will go away. I already contacted a mechanic to do the labor in case of, told me that it may cost around ~ $1000 usd, so I'll bite the bullet.
Good decision
Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Won't an internal bearing always make noise no matter gear it is in? All gears are almost always spinning and engaged in a manual. What changes is which gear is mated to the output shaft right? Of course I am not taking into account load being applied to a bearing/shaft on making the noise, just the actual spinning motion.

Bear with me...just rambling here...

Neutral, Clutch Engaged, Rolling at 10mph
- Input Shaft: Spinning, connected to engine, spinning at engine RPM
- Gears: Spinning, connected to engine, spinning at engine RPM
- Output Shaft: Spinning, connected to axles

Neutral, Clutch Disengaged, Rolling at 10mph
- Input Shaft: Stopped
- Gears: Stopped
- Output Shaft: Spinning, connected to axles

1st Gear, Clutch Engaged, Rolling at 10mph
- Input Shaft: Spinning, connected to engine, spinning at engine RPM
- Gears: Spinning, connected to engine, spinning at engine RPM
- Output Shaft: Spinning, connected to Gears and Axles

1st Gear, Clutch Disengaged, Rolling at 10mph
- Input Shaft: Spinning, connected to Gears
- Gears: Spinning, connected to Output Shaft
- Output Shaft: Spinning, connected to Axles

If my logic is correct...and there is a good chance it is not...the only time the gears inside may not be spinning (when the car is in motion) is when in neutral and the clutch is depressed/disengaged right?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Clutch disengaged, pedal down, input shaft doesn't turn, but the output shaft connected to the diff is still turning.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

When I'm in first rolling at 10 mph it sounds, if I press the clutch all the way, the sound starts to fade away, I'm 100% sure that has to do with the first gear, could be the bearing or the gear itself, I don't know how to recognize the sound when a gear bearing is going out and when the gear is having friction. My car sounds pretty similar to this:

I'll try to post a video of the sound.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

If the mechanic is familiar with the trans, they'll find the problem at tear down.

Years ago I took a 5 speed from our rotary in to have it rebuild, knew it needed syncros,
but when it was torn apart, a couple of bearings were also needed but weren't making any noise.
Trans has been fine going strong for the last 15 years.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If the mechanic is familiar with the trans, they'll find the problem at tear down.

Years ago I took a 5 speed from our rotary in to have it rebuild, knew it needed syncros,
but when it was torn apart, a couple of bearings were also needed but weren't making any noise.
Trans has been fine going strong for the last 15 years.
I guess once the tranny is open I'll change all the syncros as well, I mean why not, the car has 81 000 miles, the tranny could last another 150 with proper use

This is recorded video of the sound, try get the volume down on the low frequencies to hear better, my exhaust is loud, but you can hear the whine:

Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Well, I changed the oil (Honda Transmission Fluid) and the sound it's still there, I don't think it help at all, but the oil came gray metallic, so it was good to change it but the damage was already done
Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Well, I changed the oil (Honda Transmission Fluid) and the sound it's still there, I don't think it help at all, but the oil came gray metallic, so it was good to change it but the damage was already done
Sorry to hear

You might be better off buying a used 6MT and having the whole thing redone while you drive around with the whining first gear. That way you don't have any down time and the shop can do the job right. I know a lot of dealerships messed up reverse and 1st gear when they had to replace the 3rd gear syncho's and gearsets due to the TSB a few years ago. Speaking of which, make sure you get the updated parts and not the outdated ones!!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Sorry to hear

You might be better off buying a used 6MT and having the whole thing redone while you drive around with the whining first gear. That way you don't have any down time and the shop can do the job right. I know a lot of dealerships messed up reverse and 1st gear when they had to replace the 3rd gear syncho's and gearsets due to the TSB a few years ago. Speaking of which, make sure you get the updated parts and not the outdated ones!!!!!
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...cticut-950107/

Would you look at that
Old 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

Thank you for the info, another tranny is really a hard option for me, the TL 6 speed wasn't sold here, just the auto and the Accord v6 6 speed is rare, so finding a 6 speed tranny would be hard, I may have to import it and it would be really expensive.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Curious, where are you located?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Curious, where are you located?
I live in Zapopan, Jalisco Mexico