C-Max Pads squeak - Brembo Calipers

Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C-Max Pads squeak - Brembo Calipers

About a month ago I changed over to Cmax brake pads after owning about 3 sets of Acura OEM pads since i owned the car. Reason I transferred over is because I got sick of spending 160$ for each set and getting about 1.5-2 years from them tops. Not to mention the high dust that they produce. Initially I did not change the rotors along with the pads because I figured are worn very evenly so I figured why not just put some of the grease that came with the pads on the backs. After install they went about a day and then I started getting light squeaks towards the start and very end of braking or if i held light to mid pressure the sound would continue. I ended up picking up a new set of rotors and same thing after about 1/2 a day ended up bedding them (8 times - 60-5mph) did that twice - no squeaks during all the hard braking but afterwards squeaks came back. . I took the brakes off again greased up everything and put more of that blue disk quick spray (sticky one) on the pads of the shims (in between the shims I put the high temp grease that I used on all other contact points). Now this procedure actually gave me about a week of minimal squeaks (3 in the entire week) and that was after the brakes warmed up or during multiple braking situations in a small period of time. Most recently i decided to take them apart again and put the stick blue disk quiet on both the shims and between the shims and pads. This didn't help it actually made it worse because I didn't got 3 stops and they started up again and now they are squeaking at initially contact again (nothing during hard braking).

Debating going to Autozone to swap out for another pair but is there a point? Last resort it buying OEM but the reason i went through all this and didn't just buy them after the initial squeak is because the Cmax pads do one hell of a job braking and low dust and the price andddd warranty. Kinda see why I'm desperate here on making these stupid pads work quietly.

Any tips or tricks to quiet these damn things up would be greatly appreciated I know they have it in them to stay quiet because they can me somewhat quiet week of use.

Last edited by Lester86; 10-08-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Love no Dust, but the Squeak is a Bust

I also have the same exact issues with my CMAX pads on my Brembos and have not found one solution that i was given in my thread for the noise. I bedded them, taken them apart like you have greasing everything and using CRC brake quiet, and like you are debating on, I did swap for another pair and still the same terrible squeak (So don't waste your time there). People say they have had good luck with CMAX but something must have changed because I am having no luck. OEM may be our only hope. I will soon be switching when i find the time.

Did your CMAX pads fit right in no problem or did you have to grind some metal off the ends for them to fit?

Last edited by 0utl; 10-08-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Question
Old 10-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have used CMAX with my brembos before and got the squeak aswell. It all depends on what rotor/pad combo you are using. If you are using a over-the-counter replacement from an autozone kind of place, you will most likely get that squeal. If you want to get rid of the issue for good, either go to a brembo rotor/brembo pad (This is extremely expensive), or go with a full stoptech setup. This is just my .02. The stoptechs I have had on for around 4 months now with no issues with noise or fade or anything. Dust is a bit high, but I just went with an aggressive pad. Hope this information helps.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 0utl
I also have the same exact issues with my CMAX pads on my Brembos and have not found one solution that i was given in my thread for the noise. I bedded them, taken them apart like you have greasing everything and using CRC brake quiet, and like you are debating on, I did swap for another pair and still the same terrible squeak (So don't waste your time there). People say they have had good luck with CMAX but something must have changed because I am having no luck. OEM may be our only hope. I will soon be switching when i find the time.

Did your CMAX pads fit right in no problem or did you have to grind some metal off the ends for them to fit?
Thanx and to answer you question they fit perfectly just as the OEM do in my opinion
Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bauermd
I have used CMAX with my brembos before and got the squeak aswell. It all depends on what rotor/pad combo you are using. If you are using a over-the-counter replacement from an autozone kind of place, you will most likely get that squeal. If you want to get rid of the issue for good, either go to a brembo rotor/brembo pad (This is extremely expensive), or go with a full stoptech setup. This is just my .02. The stoptechs I have had on for around 4 months now with no issues with noise or fade or anything. Dust is a bit high, but I just went with an aggressive pad. Hope this information helps.

Thanx for the advice planning on riding in these for a little bit and then swapping out to OEM pads. I'm hoping to the rotors will wear evenly until then so I won't have too do anything with them. Because if I have to replace them I will be pissed.

One thing that stuck with me was I called Auto zone and told them the situation and they claim that its most likely another component that's making the noise because ceramic pads don't make a sound. He added Cmax pads are made up of the same stuff at the acura OEM stuff find that hard to believe because Acura pads never squeak (correction unless worn down almost completely ) yes they produce a lot of dust but that's the only flaw. Cmax produce minimum dust and cost 1/3 less. Impossible that they are the same consider how different they are in almost every way.

Last edited by Lester86; 10-09-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Instructor

^ That's funny because when I delt with AZ they told me that the ceramic may be too hard of a pad for my application and that maybe I should go back to OEM if the 2nd set wouldn't work. I think they were feeding you some BS and i have no idea if what they told me was even remotely true. I will just go back to OEM.

Also, im sure pad/rotor combo may matter but i have heard from multiple members with the same rotors with cmax who have had no problems. So i just dont understand my luck. I definitely can't afford to try new rotors and pads either so im wishing for silence with the OEM
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Lester86
He added Cmax pads are made up of the same stuff at the acura OEM stuff find that hard to believe because Acura pads never squeak (correction unless worn down almost completely ) yes they produce a lot of dust but that's the only flaw. Cmax produce minimum dust and cost 1/3 less. Impossible that they are the same consider how different they are in almost every way.
If CMAX were made up of exactly the same material as the OEM pads, they would dust just as bad as the OEM pads.

Also....my OEM pads squeaked like a mofo. My CMAX pads have never made a peep.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 0utl
^ That's funny because when I delt with AZ they told me that the ceramic may be too hard of a pad for my application and that maybe I should go back to OEM if the 2nd set wouldn't work. I think they were feeding you some BS and i have no idea if what they told me was even remotely true. I will just go back to OEM.

Also, im sure pad/rotor combo may matter but i have heard from multiple members with the same rotors with cmax who have had no problems. So i just dont understand my luck. I definitely can't afford to try new rotors and pads either so im wishing for silence with the OEM
After reading this today i decided to stop by AZ and inquire if it might be a hardness issue I didn't get too many answers but they did mention that the premium ceramic is harder they regular ceramic so keeping that in mind I lucked out as was able to return the Cmax on warranty and get the Golds which they said are softer. Figured what the hell its worth a shot and I'll save 12$ off the Cmax so I did it and the squeaks are worse not by much but similar. I haven't bedded them yet but I honestly doubt it will solve this problem. I'll post update if these things by some small chance actually quiet down. If not I'll be ordering OEM shortly.
The following users liked this post:
0utl (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Instructor

After reading this today i decided to stop by AZ and inquire if it might be a hardness issue I didn't get too many answers but they did mention that the premium ceramic is harder they regular ceramic so keeping that in mind I lucked out as was able to return the Cmax on warranty and get the Golds which they said are softer. Figured what the hell its worth a shot and I'll save 12$ off the Cmax so I did it and the squeaks are worse not by much but similar. I haven't bedded them yet but I honestly doubt it will solve this problem. I'll post update if these things by some small chance actually quiet down. If not I'll be ordering OEM shortly.
I am sorry that they didn't make a difference. When i went to swap for the second set i was debating really hard on trying the "softer" golds, but I truly thought the cmax would work. So since the CMAX didn't work i have always thought to myself maybe i should have tried those instead. So I appreciate you giving the update that you tried this to clear my mind. I already ordered my OEM set Friday morning and hoping to get them by Tuesday and install them Wednesday or Friday and I will let you know my results
Old 10-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

Bedded them today 8-9:60-5mph andddddd still squeaking haha wow I gotta give Acura well Brembo I guess props for making brakes that you can't run aftermarket pads without squeaks. I installed 3 sets of Golds in the last 2 weeks one 3 different cars didn't even bed em and not one peep. But then again all were regular single piston capilers no Brembos. But its funny I do all this work on my family's cars and I'm the one let with the squeaky pads.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Bedded them today 8-9:60-5mph andddddd still squeaking haha wow I gotta give Acura well Brembo I guess props for making brakes that you can't run aftermarket pads without squeaks. I installed 3 sets of Golds in the last 2 weeks one 3 different cars didn't even bed em and not one peep. But then again all were regular single piston capilers no Brembos. But its funny I do all this work on my family's cars and I'm the one let with the squeaky pads.
Haha yeah i really wanted the pads to work too! Are you using blank rotors?? Like i said ill let you know my results this week.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I am using Cmax pads and no issues here. Although my rotors are slotted.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
I am using Cmax pads and no issues here. Although my rotors are slotted.
So are mine just bad luck i guess

Last edited by 0utl; 10-12-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Cruisin'

Mine are not slotted I know that the pads make noise after reaching operating temp or hot temp so it would make sense of they didn't squeak when running slotted rotors because they obviously run cooler. Might consider that next time I buy rotors but this time Im sol.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had OEM that sqeaked, Switched to EBC yellow stuff and they squeaked worse! Switched to CMax about 2 years ago an no problems. Still have the EBC slotted rotors. Non brembo... Just my 0.02
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Mine are not slotted I know that the pads make noise after reaching operating temp or hot temp so it would make sense of they didn't squeak when running slotted rotors because they obviously run cooler. Might consider that next time I buy rotors but this time Im sol.
I dont believe slotted has anything to do with the squels with these pads. Mine are slotted and i have squeal even when the brakes are cool. I was asking you because i thought maybe the slotted rotors would have something to do with it. But i am 100% convinced that the pads are to blame (for whatever reason). My OEM pads were shipped out today!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JoshD_99EM1
I had OEM that sqeaked, Switched to EBC yellow stuff and they squeaked worse! Switched to CMax about 2 years ago an no problems. Still have the EBC slotted rotors. Non brembo... Just my 0.02

Key word there is non Brembo, I completely can back this because with non Brembo the squeaking is not as common. As my previous message with all the installs of AZ golds proves.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
oem pads are under $100 on ebay
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
For real? Send me a link, I hope they not knock offs
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
They are Brembo brand CERAMIC pads but they aren't what honda uses as their OEM pads for the 6mt and TLS. I have debated on them and figured i wll not risk it since im already getting squealing from ceramic pads and won't be able to return them if they squeal like AZ. There is a used pair of actual OEM pads for $75, but i prefer a fresh set.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what's it's worth I just put Hawk Performance Ceramic pads on the front Brembo calipers. It's only been one day but so far perfectly quiet. I bought them on Amazon for $122 where they had excellent reviews.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good place online to get OEM front and rear Brembo brake pads and rotors that will fit a 2006 Acura TL w/ automatic transmission?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

https://www.acurapartsforless.com
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuttgart_Eishockey87
Can anyone recommend a good place online to get OEM front and rear Brembo brake pads and rotors that will fit a 2006 Acura TL w/ automatic transmission?
Start with www.cars.com, unless you swapped the brakes out, you don't have Brembos on an auto '06.

Last edited by Jackass; 10-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
things I do when I work on brakes

1. clean and re-grease calipers
2. run emery cloth other rotor face using a sanding block
3. copper based anti-seize on all parts that touch metal (brake pad ears, shims, pad backs) and between hub and rotor.
4. using a bleeder valve, bleed out caliper until clear fluid comes out
5. properly tighten lug nuts

never had brakes squeal and all of my cars have been converted to ceramic pads. The legacy has the added bonus of having dual piston calipers and that care stops in very short order