Blank upper display Clock/Climate/Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blank upper display Clock/Climate/Radio

I have a 2005 TL with Navigation. The warranty is void. The upper display where the clock, climate and XM display is is blank. When i turn on the light switch fast it flashes on for a milisecond and i can see the info but it never stays on. Also my climate control fan is on and i have no control of it thru the fan speed. Not sure if they happened at same time as i am new owner of the car. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DimondD
I have a 2005 TL with Navigation. The warranty is void. The upper display where the clock, climate and XM display is is blank. When i turn on the light switch fast it flashes on for a milisecond and i can see the info but it never stays on. Also my climate control fan is on and i have no control of it thru the fan speed. Not sure if they happened at same time as i am new owner of the car. Any help would be much appreciated.
Why is the warranty void?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BG74
Why is the warranty void?
It was in a accident and was a total
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro

Did the passenger airbag deploy? Maybe during reassembly of the dash a connector was left loose. To have both symptoms at once, it seems logical that one of those big molex plugs isn't connected properly behind the climate control panel.

Maybe this will get you pointed in the right direction...

Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BG74
Did the passenger airbag deploy? Maybe during reassembly of the dash a connector was left loose. To have both symptoms at once, it seems logical that one of those big molex plugs isn't connected properly behind the climate control panel.

Maybe this will get you pointed in the right direction...

Thanks. Wishful thinking. I pulled everything out and apart to no avail.No smashed pins no loose harnesses even checked ground for continuity. I have various voltages at that 10 pin that plugs in to the display but cant get a good diagram for the 10 pin with nav just the one without and the colors dont seem the same.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
BG's right. If the connector to the display unit is not there, the fan just comes on.

You'll have to take out the whole display/HU assembly to get to it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by KN_TL
BG's right. If the connector to the display unit is not there, the fan just comes on.

You'll have to take out the whole display/HU assembly to get to it.
The connector is there and on firmly I have the whole dash ripped apart now looking for anything. I think the 2 issues are seperate.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

Acura service manual

I am missing pages above 22-334 in the 22 section in my adobe file to continue chasing this phenomenum can anyone provide?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Cruisin'

now that dash is tore open i found this

I am trying to figure out my heater fan is stuck on constantly. I found the power transistor tye wrapped to the metal of dash where the fins on transisitor were grounding out and making fan stay on. I think it is a bad transistor but cant find one to test at a parts store. I have the 1.5 ohms the manual says you should have between 1 and 2 i think
but 1 and 2 are a short to the heatsink fins also it appears
when i test if mounted to frame it is a short to ground and fan runs like it is jumpered but when it isnt shorted i have no fan or control?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Cruisin'

I am trying to figure out my heater fan is stuck on constantly. I found the power transistor tye wrapped to the metal of dash where the fins on transisitor were grounding out and making fan stay on. I think it is a bad transistor but cant find one to test at a parts store. I have the 1.5 ohms the manual says you should have between 1 and 2 i think
but 1 and 2 are a short to the heatsink fins also it appears
when i test if mounted to frame it is a short to ground and fan runs like it is jumpered but when it isnt shorted i have no fan or control?
UPDATE >It is just pin 1 that I have continuity thru transistor to heat sink fins I need to know if that is right or if the powerr transistor has failed?
Thanks for all the great help!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Cruisin'

Exclamation

WOO HOO !! I figured out the fan issue. It was the power transistor.
FYI pins 1 and 2 are a short to the heat sink fins on the outside of power transistor and also 1.5 ohms between 1 and 2 dont let it get grounded like mine was or the fan runs constantly. Now anyone want to help me figure out why my clock/climate upper display dosnt work? (with navigation) I have all the voltages measured going in to it anyone got a wire diagram to help me resolve?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Question

On my display problem i need to trace the path from light switch to that climate/clock display. The communication is weird from off position to run light on is where it flickers for a split second but from lights on back to run it dont flicker at all. You see it is blank constantly except for that split second of flipping the switch quickly
the guy told me originally it went off and on rapidly with the driving lights on then next time he drove the car the display was blank.
Anyone have any advise or a diagram or voltages to 10 pin connector???
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
does this work?
The following users liked this post:
njresendez (12-29-2016)
Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Still cant figure it out

Thanks for the diagram.
I still cant figure it out. Anyone know what these voltages should be? I think these are the ones that illumibate the upper display off the 22 pin to the 10 pin upper display???
18 RED/BLU (LCD BL (+))
19 RED (LCD BL (–)
)I ohmed out the wires back to the the 22 pin
and they are all fine the navigation backlighting comes on fine and dims when the lights come on but as said before the upper display just flickers for a second
the process of turning on lights affects it so i wonder about light control module or computer?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the diagram.
I still cant figure it out. Anyone know what these voltages should be? I think these are the ones that illumibate the upper display off the 22 pin to the 10 pin upper display???
18 RED/BLU (LCD BL (+))
19 RED (LCD BL (–)
)I ohmed out the wires back to the the 22 pin
and they are all fine the navigation backlighting comes on fine and dims when the lights come on but as said before the upper display just flickers for a second
the process of turning on lights affects it so i wonder about light control module or computer?
Have you thought that it may be a broken display?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Have you thought that it may be a broken display?
Thought has crossed my mind. Defective LED's or IC circuit maybe? Not sure how to test them. And dont have acess to another display around . Was hoping to figure out how to tell if the LCD BL- and + are getting power but not sure what it should be? I wonder what voltage would be safe to apply to that circuit and if that is what lights the display?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

where are you located? Another member could come over and you could swap displays for a second or so to check.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
where are you located? Another member could come over and you could swap displays for a second or so to check.
I am in Seattle,Wa. I couldn't expect someone to do that. WHat if i took a 9 volkt battery and applied + and - to the LCD BL wires at display? I am afraid of blowing up. WOuld 9 volt battery be a low enough voltage to test that circuit?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I probably have less insight in this compared to others on the forum. But Does your nav screen have any problems?

I remember I was having problems with my Nav screen and my upper display, they would flicker and then even after the key was pulled the upper display would still be on. I thought it was a fuse, cuz I had fiddled in that area because I was having problems with my amp turn on lead.

Turns out there was a loose connection there.

In regards to using a 9 volt battery. The panel SHOULD be getting 12 volts, so you would not be overpowering it, and may possibly work.

You will be surprised as to how many people help fellow ziners out. Try pming Uncald4. I think he is from Seattle, he does audio system installs and customization, he may be able to help you or at least guide you in the correct path.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Pro

IIRC, that display is a realtively cheap part ($30 or so?). Maybe it would be worth buying one to see if it works?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
I probably have less insight in this compared to others on the forum. But Does your nav screen have any problems?

I remember I was having problems with my Nav screen and my upper display, they would flicker and then even after the key was pulled the upper display would still be on. I thought it was a fuse, cuz I had fiddled in that area because I was having problems with my amp turn on lead.

Turns out there was a loose connection there.

In regards to using a 9 volt battery. The panel SHOULD be getting 12 volts, so you would not be overpowering it, and may possibly work.

You will be surprised as to how many people help fellow ziners out. Try pming Uncald4. I think he is from Seattle, he does audio system installs and customization, he may be able to help you or at least guide you in the correct path.
Thanks for the direction. I haven't tried 9 volt yet but will update when I do.
(I gotta get a connector for a 9 volt to test it)
I priced the display it is 205.00 at the dealer. Not many of these to be found in the junkyard yet unfortunately.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

Not the display

Well I tested mine in another car and it works fine. The harness pins and wires into the nav from the display are fine because i have ohmed them out.
I wonder if the F CAN network has anything to do with this problem?
Also is it the ECU/MCU unit behind SRS module that the F CAN brain is located in?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The TSX can turn off the upper display...I've never been in a TL, so I don't know if it's similar or not. I'll turn mine off later, then turn the car off and on to see if it retains the setting between car starts.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
The TSX can turn off the upper display...I've never been in a TL, so I don't know if it's similar or not. I'll turn mine off later, then turn the car off and on to see if it retains the setting between car starts.
It can't be turned off in the TL, AFAIK.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

End Result

Ok here is final update incase anyone else runs across this problem. I replaced the nav screen as i know they are connected. That didnt solve it so out of frustration i tried the 9 volt bettery trick to the bl - and bl+ and behold the display lit up. So i hard wired a wire to those two wires that comes on with acc i think the display control module is the culprit but at this point i have a upper display so i am done with changing parts. Thanks for the help and hope this helps someone else someday
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM
5th Gear

Ok here is final update incase anyone else runs across this problem. I replaced the nav screen as i know they are connected. That didnt solve it so out of frustration i tried the 9 volt bettery trick to the bl - and bl+ and behold the display lit up. So i hard wired a wire to those two wires that comes on with acc i think the display control module is the culprit but at this point i have a upper display so i am done with changing parts. Thanks for the help and hope this helps someone else someday
So you didn't fix the real issue you just found a way around it right? Damn i have the same problem
Old 04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
5th Gear

Please help anyone!!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by yura290
Please help anyone!!
I have the same problem and I can't figure out the reason why
Old 07-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i no this is old, but i was hoping someone found an answer. my 2006 TL is starting to have issues.

1 of 3 things will happen:

1) my car will start, nav and clock start fine

2) my car will start, nav is fine, clock is blank (but turns on 1-5 minutes later)

3) start my car, nav is fine, clock is fine, but may flicker a few times minutes later

in the long run, none of them are real bad issues. but i am curious as to what is going on. if its the clock itself i guess i can get a new lcd panel/vent on ebay for $50.

but if the problem stems from the nav, it might be an expensive fix.

has anyone replaced the lcd panel and it be the solution?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hope this helps you all out. My subdisplay had been out for a while and i almost did everything but check my wiring from nexus install. Turns out it was just a crossed wire. (never rewire your car at night) ha
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the rest if anyone needs them
The following 2 users liked this post by 05TLatham:
Breakz360 (08-26-2022), MARKUSA (08-21-2022)