Anyone run into this problem.? Airbag light on after seatbelt on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Exclamation Anyone run into this problem.? Airbag light on after seatbelt on?

So my 05 Tl has 55000k and just the other day I noticed my airbag light went on. So I shut the car off and turned it back on, the light didnt come back on. So i was driving without my seatbelt today and the light wasnt on, put my seatbelt because of the warning then I noticed the airbag light went on again. Has anyone ran into this problem.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Yup. Bad sensor in the seatbelt buckle. People have had the issue before.

It's like a 300$ fix for some reason. They said I had to pay for it myself last year - I have an 04, but only like 70 thousand miles and I complained a lot. They took the car in, ordered the part, and finally said they would do it for free.

They reset the code and couldnt get the light to come back on for some reason. They said they would have the part if it came back - IE they didnt fix it. A month later it came back, but I was at school for the semester... haven't gotten it fixed yet. It's pretty sporadic at this point. But I wish I could repair it quickly - if I remember, the airbags DONT DEPLOY with that light on...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I had the same issue. It seemed to be intermittent. Dealer replaced it for free even though my car had 100K+ miles at the time. I think theres some sort of special warranty when it comes to seat belts and airbags.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the light was triggered by the seat buckle sensor, it is covered for lifetime. I believe anything seat belt related is covered for life. Ask your dealer. They will likely charge for running diagnostics, but should remove it once they know the light is for the seat buckle. Make sure this is the case before starting the work.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wise_optimist
If the light was triggered by the seat buckle sensor, it is covered for lifetime. I believe anything seat belt related is covered for life. Ask your dealer. They will likely charge for running diagnostics, but should remove it once they know the light is for the seat buckle. Make sure this is the case before starting the work.

Seat belt buckle have lifetime warranty - happened on both my TL and accord and other honda model-

One way to test is to unbuckle it and check for the seat belt light not turn on- while the air bag light is lit of course- when the air bag light is off-- it should detect that you don't have seat belt
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
OP so it appears when your in the drivers seat right?

I have a similar problem only the airbag light in the gauge cluster comes on when someone sits in the front passenger seat. It happens every so often but its been doing this for me since this past Nov.

I thought it might be a faulty weight sensor. since I would wiggle the passenger belt buckle with the seat belt in and sure enough the light appears on my gauge cluster.

I am way out of warranty, at 132xxx but I will call my dealer too and see what they tell me. Id rather pay the dealer the diagnosis if I know for sure that this will get fixed by this "lifetime warranty".

I was going to replace all passenger safety seat belt components since I hate having any kind of red symbols appear
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
mine did it off and on for like a month and the light just stopped coming on
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
My TL is doing the same thing, when the airbag light comes on, I dont have to wear my seatbelt with that stupid chime going off! I need to take it in and get it fixed.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
From a post I did last October 2012...
Exactly the symptoms I had. A short squirt of silicone spray (NOT WD40) into the slot of the buckle and twenty to thirty vigorous latch/unlatches and no more light for about 2 weeks. So I repeated it and it went away. Dealers will supposedly replace bad buckles for free but my dealer is far enough away that I just opted to try this rather than have them end up charging or arguing with me. If it comes back I'll probably change it out myself. Not a particularly expensive part.
Current day...Late January 2013.... It cam back on ONCE last week. I'll probably order the part when the winter is over and be done with this.

FYI it's a dual switch in the buckle (per the schematics) so even though the seat belt light may seem to work as you buckle/unbuckle the actual switch for the SRS could be faulty.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
hmph! after reading and posting on this today and about a month with out the light, it came back on today! god damnit!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Mine was gone for a year...then recently started reappearing...last time I just blasted compressed air in there and it stopped coming on. I think over time our dry skin and dirt make their way in there and affect the contacts.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
2004 TL 5-Spd Auto, Navi.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have exactly the same problem for couple of months now. But after reading this post I sprayed electrical contact solution to the buckle many times. Then I buckled up the seatbelt and unbuckle for over 50 times. The airbag light is now off. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Yeah my light came on; unbuckle or buckle it stays on. Im poke around and see what I find.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I got my Passenger Seat Buckle replaced. FREE under lifetime seatbelt warranty, as I stated above, I am way out of warranty at 148k miles now.

I just got it done like 3-4 weeks ago, and my local dealer didn't give me any pains of taking it through them, even if you replace it on your own, they have a separate scanner to reset the seatbelt buckle.

This is what they told me so sure you can buy the buckle for less but light will still appear unless its reset, just like an oil change.

Any truth to this guys? anyone who's replaced just the buckle as DIY compared to dealer.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Bump.. Im having this issue right now to on my 05 TL. The only time it comes on tho is when my passenger puts the seatbelt on. I guess its a sensor, I'm going to give a call to my local acura dealer and see what they say. Hopefully its free here in Canada Toronto.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Airbag Light On

i have an 04 TL and my airbag light comes on while I'm driving but I don't know if it is the seat belt buckle issue. Because the seatbelt light turns right next to the airbag light even when I unbuckle it.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Get the code read when the light is on. Mine was on and my mechanic read it for free. It said no signal from driver side front impact sensor. He also said that this happens to a lot of TLs and he thinks it's because of the cold (it gets to -30 Celsius here). Sadly my friend's brother who works at an Acura dealership service dept. says it's not covered and probably wouldn't be fixed under goodwill either (I tried to play the safety hazard card).
Old 04-07-2015, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Anyone have any advice on how to replace the driver side front airbag sensor? Dealer diagnosed the problem -- but didn't have the part in stock. So I'd like to try to do the replacement myself. I'm told you can gain access to the part through the driver's side wheel well (after removing one of the shields).
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 PM
5th Gear

I had the same problem.I have an 05 TL also. When you get into your car , buckle up first, then start your car. It will never come on again.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Bringing this back in case anyone is curious. I have an 05' with 173k miles and they are fixing my seat belt buckle under lifetime warranty. After 05' it is limited on mileage and would not have been covered, so I got lucky. This thread was super helpful to pinpoint that it was the seatbelt buckle, especially the post above this, that is a great way to continue driving the car with working air bags until the belt buckle has been replaced and I can verify a second time that it works.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting that so many folks managed to get their buckles replaced for free. I had the exact same issue, but my local Acura dealer told me it wasn't covered under the lifetime seatbelt safety warranty because it's part of the electrical system and not the safety restraint system itself. I asked them to just sell me the switch by itself then, and they told me it's all one assembly. I replied that it should be covered then, since it is obviously part of the buckle. They basically had no response to this, but they still wouldn't cover it. I politely told them to engage in self-intercourse and set about solving the problem myself. I removed the casing from the buckle and found that there is a small switch that is not being fully depressed by the belt due to wear and slop in the system. I solved it by wrapping a tiny zip tie around the switch, thus depressing it. Not it thinks the seatbelt is on all the time, thus defeated the warning light, but I always wear my seatbelt anyway, so at least now I have a functional airbag. Hope this helps someone.
The following users liked this post:
bitterbuffalo (10-07-2022)