ACURA TL Terrible Noises - and what I learned - Bearing? Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACURA TL Terrible Noises - and what I learned - Bearing? Brakes?

Just wanted to share my experience, as I was searching the forums for something to help me diagnose the sounds coming from my car [2006 Acura TL].
The first indication of the issue was a high pitched squeal / whine that was intermittent. The noise would come and go; it would be noticeable when I was entering a curve, to the right. I quickly learned that I could repeatably generate / stop the squeal by changing the input to the steering wheel (steering slightly to the right, and then back to the left, etc.). My Speed in the curve was about 60 mph. The sound was present predominantly during understeer to the right, but it was also intermittently present while braking.

My back brakes were last serviced 7 months prior, but I decided to get my brakes checked anyway thinking it was a break wear indicator. Outcome: The Technician could not recreate the sound I was hearing, but noted "FRONT AND REAR PADS/ 50%-70% LEFT ON MATERIAL."

I took my car back, and the sound continued, intermittently, mostly while braking.

6 weeks later, (this morning) there was a new, and very peculiar sound that I could clearly tell was coming from the rear of the vehicle. It was intermittent, but it was occurring at lower speeds, <35 mph, and the brakes would squeal when applied. I took it in to have it looked at, the experienced Tech said it was the strangest noise he has ever heard. I learned that my back left caliper was the culprit. My brake pad was now almost completely gone while the right rear brake pad was still in excellent condition.
I had my left rear brake caliper and pad replaced, and all sounds seem to have resolved (so far). I will post again if any of the sounds present themselves again.

I recorded both sounds as they happened, and took a picture of my brake pad/rotor this morning. If there is a good way for me to share them, please let me know. I am not an experienced forum poster
I just hope this helps someone else diagnose their own crazy sounds.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 AM
9th Gear

Follow up question: could this have been caused / affected in any way by a tire that is too small being put on the Front RIGHT? I had a sidewall bulge in January after hitting a pothole. My tire was 235/45R17. The shop that ordered and installed the replacement chose a 215/45R17. I used an online calculator and found that is a 2.227 inch difference in circumference, and 0.709 inch difference in diameter.
Could that difference affect the way my rear calipers are loaded?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
No it would not.

It happens, brake calipers sometimes stick and you can either service them or replace them.
The following users liked this post:
Calder (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Calder
FMy tire was 235/45R17. The shop that ordered and installed the replacement chose a 215/45R17. I used an online calculator and found that is a 2.227 inch difference in circumference, and 0.709 inch difference in diameter.
Could that difference affect the way my rear calipers are loaded?
No to the calipers. Yes to issues if this odd ball tire was left on the front. That will be hard on your differential. On the rear, it can possibly give you trouble with the ABS and VSC since it will see an unexpected speed difference.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
No to the calipers. Yes to issues if this odd ball tire was left on the front. That will be hard on your differential. On the rear, it can possibly give you trouble with the ABS and VSC since it will see an unexpected speed difference.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I was ignorant, and did not check the tire that was put on at the end of January. I did not notice until I started hearing the noise (April). I was checking forums, and someone said something about a tire being too small. Since I had recently gotten a new tire, I thought I would check. Sure enough, the tire that the shop installed was smaller than the rest. I immediately swapped out all 4 winter tires for my all-seasons.

I am now trying to get myself informed before going back to the tire shop so that I know what kind of damage their error may have caused. One thing is for sure, I will be getting a new tire, free of charge. It's really a disappointing situation.