2005 TL - Replaced my battery, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 TL - Replaced my battery, now car won't start

Hey all,

I have an 05 6MT TL. I had a really old battery (bought the car at 72xxx and just replaced the battery at 118xxx) and I just replaced it today with an Optima battery. I followed instructions to a T, and when I went to turn the car on I just got a clicking noise and no start. The car was starting before I replaced the battery a couple of hours ago. I had a little bit of trouble starting the car a couple of times a few months ago, but I assumed that was the age of the battery.

My interior lights work and remote lock/unlock works fine. I cleaned the crap out of the terminals (which were horrendous before I did that, btw) put petroleum jelly on the battery ends, and clamped them down nice and tight. I was going to ask my roommate for a jump.

Should I be looking at my alternator/starter? Is it possible that a battery is shipped to you 'dead' and you have to jump it and it will be fine later?

Please let me know, thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Clean off the petroleum jelly and try again. The jelly is not a very good conductor.

If you want to use something to protect the posts from corroding check out this stuff:

I'll be re-doing all my exterior grounds soon using this, with the exception of ground points on the engine. The flash point of this is 250F, so while ok for battery posts and chassis grounds it's not going to be good for components attached to the engine where the temp may get near or above the flash point.

I read good things about NO-OX-ID and even found some government studies that recommended it's use on electrical conductors in industrial applications and uses in places where large currents are flowing such as our power grid.

That tube is probably enough to last a lifetime for house-hold or automotive uses as well and it was like $20.

Otherwise those indications sound like the starter.

Last edited by mzilvar; 02-22-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Optima wasnt fully charged. bump start the car and drive it till charged
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Trickle charge the battery at 2A or less for ~2 days if you want it to last.
It's always a great idea to fully charge a lead battery before use. The cars alternator does not do this.

Any dielectric grease like petroleum jelly is totally fine and a good idea.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
petroleum jelly is a poor conductor, I know people use it to protect their terminals from corrosion

If you're going to use it make sure you have a good metal-metal contact on the battery posts to the battery cable before putting that stuff on. If it gets inbetween the conductors it is not going to perform as a good conductor.

A dielectric is an insulator FYI.

You're essentially doing the very thing you're trying to prevent by getting any dielectric grease inbetween the conductors, it's creating resistance the same thing corrosion will do.

The NO-OX-ID is not a dielectric grease. It's a conductive grease that inhibits corrosion.

Last edited by mzilvar; 02-23-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try using a wire brush on your terminal connectors. Had this happen one time and the technician resolved the issue by just using the brush alone. Some batteries/cars are just more sensitive then others.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Unfortunately I tried
a) Jumping my car
b) Removing the petroleum jelly from the terminals and trying to start it that way

I haven't tried to re-jump after removing the petroleum jelly. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I had to get back to work (I can work from home) so I have to try this later in the afternoon. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Hi all.

Thoroughly cleaned the terminals (removed petroleum jelly) and jumped my car (took about 10 minute of charging). It works now, I'll get the NO OX ID like people are suggesting.

Thanks for all the help - mod feel free to close
The following users liked this post:
Irissong (08-31-2023)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I just installed an optima and it was dead also, jump start got it going now no problems.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssbusa
I just installed an optima and it was dead also, jump start got it going now no problems.

Welp. My car won't start again. I drove it probably 5-6 times the past few days, it was struggling a little bit more than normal to turn on those 5-6 times. I go to turn it on this morning and nothing. It tries to crank but slows down and then nothing. Is this probably my starter or alternator? I guess I'll bring it in to someone. I wish I didn't have to do this.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
have the alternator and battery tested for free at an auto parts store.
if both check out, you might want to consider the HFL as it could be a parasitic draw

also, as of late, Optima branded batteries dont do that well any more. change of production or location or was bought out made the decline in quality

one of the best batteries out right now is the Sears Die hard Platinum series. It's made by Johnson Controls.
another battery made by Johnson controls is the costco branded batteries
The following users liked this post:
mszczep1 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
have the alternator and battery tested for free at an auto parts store.
if both check out, you might want to consider the HFL as it could be a parasitic draw

also, as of late, Optima branded batteries dont do that well any more. change of production or location or was bought out made the decline in quality

one of the best batteries out right now is the Sears Die hard Platinum series. It's made by Johnson Controls.
another battery made by Johnson controls is the costco branded batteries
I actually replaced the HFL about two months ago by myself. That could be possible, the HFL works fine though and I installed it without any issues. Brand new battery, brand new HFL... the car is pretty old so it could be starter or alternator related. The lights and remote lock/unlock still work fine. I'll try to jump it and drive it to a mechanic tomorrow.