Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions TripNB...
much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got all materials and it seems like i got the right rubber this time.....i just dont have time to play....ill let u guys know by the weekend whats up
Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea my rear alignments r lil off, i'll be replacing all 6 front bushings and the whole rear control arms tomorrow morning, already spent $170 for the parts don't know how much would the labor cost but if thats gonna fix the problem i'll be happy, i'll post the results tomorrow
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GGYY

We talked privately about this handling issue. I don't think it related to the bushings. The TL tracked good brand new but was twitchy with a light hand and you felt the road through the wheel. All pluses in my book. Cars are never as good as the first 10K miles, though.
I was prepared for the harshness that might come when going with 19s however, my handling issues like GGYY described above first showed at about 40K, right before I switched out the stock running gear. Now, my wife and I are both guilty of ramping a curb, so I'm sure a bent wheel is to blame for my vibe above 65 mph but, its not always noticeable and usually bent wheels can be felt more at slower speeds. Dunno. Lots of aligns and balances since then.
Anybody know of a sure fire way to target a bent wheel?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Fire/medic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
hmm, I have been chasing a come and go vibe at 65+mph. Not always there, but usually. Steering is a bit light at speed and has a tendency to track road imperfections. I feel that there's a little left pull on harder braking. The alignment has been attacked multiple times by a very patient shop and it's as close as it gets without an Ingals kit. I'm going to have the balancing checked one more time, as well.

Should note that I have 19x9's with 245/35/19 General UHP's. Brand new Koni Yellow's, H&R springs and Progress RSB. This problem arose on the stock suspension, wheels and tires although, tires were just about shot.

I had dealership check front end and all mounts and they just blamed it on the wheel/tire/spring setup.

I'm checking these out pronto - only 3K miles of standard warranty left.
I'm having the exact issues with my ride as well. The symptoms are the same. I thought it was the cheap tires I had on it at first so I spent a ton of money on new tires but still the same steering issues. i also did about four different alignments at different dealers but no luck. bet you mine are torn as well.. Crap
Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Fire/medic

Originally Posted by dr-who
Original thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=bushing

I've been really disappointed in Acura's service (specifically Kush Kearny Mesa in San Diego but seems to be trend in other dealers too) since when the car is new. I can talk about all the issues I've had with them if people are interested but this is the latest.

Ok, so here's the deal: My friends and I have 3 TLs all from 2004. We have all owned them since new. All have low 40k miles. ON ALL 3 04 TLs, BOTH the right and left front compliance bushings are ripping. (Pics are shown below of my TL but they all look similar)

We finally had time and took 2 of the cars into the dealer to show that the design is flawed and have 100% failure well within waranty mileage. (although we fell outside of the 4yrs before finding the failure).

The response from Acura is that since its outside the timeframe of the waranty, they out of good-will Acura will repair it for $305. (They're saying normally its $500)

Acura is saying that this is a "wear" item and therefore anything they do outside of waranty is extra.

In addition, they say that they have NEVER seen this problem?!?!?!?!?

My problem with this is:
1. Since this bushing is failing 100% all under 50k miles (to me this is unacceptable since it is well short of the car's life as Honda advertised reliability)

2. Catagorizing this as a wear item is wrong (This is not brakes or tires or oil, and bushings are to be used for cushion not wear). Its supposed to wear out as the car nears the end of life cycle not during their mid life similar to a engine mount bushing. Atleast not fail 100% of the time at this time frame.

3. I live in the coastal area of SoCal. Weather is nothing compared to midwest or east coast. Saying that rubber wears out over time (4yrs old) for a car that sits in a garage in nice 70% humidity, low rain, no snow, no salt, nice paved road area is just stupid.

3. comment about never seeing this problem - This is a problem that will only be noticed once the bushing rips all the way through. Before that a user will never notice it unless they looked for it. I only found it when I had my wheels off and was chaning rims. Also I have had to replace that same bushing on a civic so I inspected it. In addition it seems to be present as long as a person looks for it.

4. The use of a bushing in that manner WILL cause the rubber to fail. It was only designed that way to save cost of 1 joint and 1 bushing.

5. On the 2009 TL they changed the design to how the bushing should be used. Only as a cushion for the moving lower arm.

In short, I'm asking you to check your TL to see if it also have this problem.. It can easily be seen with a good digital camera (using macro mode) and turning your wheels. I'm especially interested newer ones in the 30k mile range.

Again, really been disappointed in Acura's service. I felt like my honda's got better service even when the car was out of warranty. (I've owned 4 accords before the TL) I'll probably never buy another honda product since I've outgrown Honda and Acura sucks as bad as GM in terms of service. They just smile more as they're telling you to blow.

Thanks for your time.
--Kwun

I have the same year car and mine are ripped in the same location as yours.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Advanced

bad news, changed all 6 front lower control arm bushings, 2 rear control arms, wheel alignment, no improvement on handling at all, guess what, i thought about the rims n tires causing the handing problem in the first place, i went and changed all 4 wheels to new aspec rim with tires ( i had stock rims n tires), i even change the whole a-spec suspensions, then i saw this thread about bushing crackin issue thought maybe i should give it a shot, but failed, if this car is designed to be this way, i would never consider getting another acura ever again, i had a 2g tl, everything was fine except the tranny issue which was under warranty so i dont really have much complains about it but now this kinda handling....i really dont know what to say, i have a 6 speed by the way, the handling over crappy roads is killin me.....
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Wow...I can imagine your frustration. Sorry to hear that and thank you for posting because it might be a waste of time for me and others.

I can say when I drive down this one street in Southwest Ranches...my car SUCKS...it does whatever it wants steering wheel jumping..my belly bouncing (please hold back the LOL's)...I'm guessing it's due to the tight steering and relatively sporty suspension. I'm on Tein SS's btw...luckily I rarely take that road and the other roads are fine...it's only when its' a realllllly bumpy road that it's bad.

Good luck finding it or try trading it I guess. Sometimes that's how I feel about my shimmying issue...makes me want to turn the car in.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

if i felt it i can tell u whats wrong im in NYC as well pm me if u want help
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by GGYY
b if this car is designed to be this way, i would never consider getting another acura ever again, i had a 2g tl, everything was fine except the tranny issue which was under warranty so i dont really have much complains about it but now this kinda handling....i really dont know what to say, i have a 6 speed by the way, the handling over crappy roads is killin me.....
wow, thats pretty harsh...I think I missed somewhere what the actual handling issue is. Its amazing if you think it is that bad since these cars normally handle great. This bushing thing is piddly diddly compared to that tranny issue you refer to!

Is it handling that is crappy, or the RIDE? This is a sports sedan you know, not cushy car like the 2g is!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
practicing nihilist

His handling issue is very similar to mine. Its a nag @ long hwy runs but around town cruising is fine. Was hoping it was related to my 19s but, GG went back to stock with no luck. Plan on gettin 18s in the future and it will be a good reason to overhaul the front end. Rattles, handling, VSA light...still love the engine, cabin and car overall.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
wow, thats pretty harsh...I think I missed somewhere what the actual handling issue is. Its amazing if you think it is that bad since these cars normally handle great. This bushing thing is piddly diddly compared to that tranny issue you refer to!

Is it handling that is crappy, or the RIDE? This is a sports sedan you know, not cushy car like the 2g is!
it was not the bushing that i was complianin about, its the handling over crappy roads, thought it was the bushing causing the rough handling since lotta pplz r having the same issue here, but its just normal worn out which dont affect the handling much at all, dont get me wrong tho, i do really love this car til this day, i think its best tl ever made, but u know i have a 6 speed and i live in nyc with traffics and bumps all around, being a daily driver this twichy steering is killing me
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Wow...I can imagine your frustration. Sorry to hear that and thank you for posting because it might be a waste of time for me and others.

I can say when I drive down this one street in Southwest Ranches...my car SUCKS...it does whatever it wants steering wheel jumping..my belly bouncing (please hold back the LOL's)...I'm guessing it's due to the tight steering and relatively sporty suspension. I'm on Tein SS's btw...luckily I rarely take that road and the other roads are fine...it's only when its' a realllllly bumpy road that it's bad.

Good luck finding it or try trading it I guess. Sometimes that's how I feel about my shimmying issue...makes me want to turn the car in.

i feel u bro, thats exactly the same problem that i have, car runs perfectly on a perfect road condition, but once it hit a bumpy road, forget it...it just follows the road imperfection and steering wheel turns by itself, i was really thinking about trading it in but until i found something sporty, luxury as tl (especially the look) within tl's price range, i'll jump on it , but until then i guess im stuck with it
Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Sounds to me like you could use an alignment. The car should be tracking relatively straight. Sometime grabby tires can tend to follow the road back and fourth as well.

Point being, let's try not to blame the car TOO MUCH. Maybe it is not to your liking due to design, but maybe there are other variables at work here as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

On my TL there is a real severe shimmy at about the same range u are talking about. It turned out to be one tire having a slow pressure leak so when the tire pressure on the 2 sides are too different I think the tranny has problems transfering power evenly. Not sure if you have the same problem though.

If the tire pressures are the same then problem goes away. Those were on 235 40 18s and 30 offset wheels.

Running stock wheels now.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Does any one of you guys that know about this stuff think this is a plausible cause for my shimmying problem?

Only really noticeable around 2500RPM and it's worse in 2nd gear but always present. I already had the driver side halfaxle changed at the recommendation of the acura shop foreman but it didn't fix it.

Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Racer

Not seeing many people answer this really but are the dealers replacing these without hassle?

Mine are bad and my car does have an issue making a sound when I am about to come to a stop but only does it after the car is warm and been running for a bit running around town. So of course every time I get to dealer and it sits they cant make it do it...

My guess is either this, or maybe an engy mount... But just wondering the hassle getting these replaced.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Not seeing many people answer this really but are the dealers replacing these without hassle?

Mine are bad and my car does have an issue making a sound when I am about to come to a stop but only does it after the car is warm and been running for a bit running around town. So of course every time I get to dealer and it sits they cant make it do it...

My guess is either this, or maybe an engy mount... But just wondering the hassle getting these replaced.

i had ZERO hassles at 25K under warranty.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dr-who
On my TL there is a real severe shimmy at about the same range u are talking about. It turned out to be one tire having a slow pressure leak so when the tire pressure on the 2 sides are too different I think the tranny has problems transfering power evenly. Not sure if you have the same problem though.

If the tire pressures are the same then problem goes away. Those were on 235 40 18s and 30 offset wheels.

Running stock wheels now.
Thanks for the response...this problem has been persistent from the old tires to the new ones I put on in February...and I've rotated and checked pressure multiple times since then. As previous stated...I even had the acura tech foreman tell me it was the driver side half axle and had that changed. But it's still there. I'm really at a loss...I was thinking engine mount because maybe at that RPM it makes a vibration that translates into a wobble. What about the "harmonic balancer"...what does that do? Where is it and can that cause an issue?

Thank yoU!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
if i felt it i can tell u whats wrong im in NYC as well pm me if u want help
God I wish I was in NY. I am really frustrated with this issue and I'm beginning to the think that the techs at Acura are trained to just immediately say there's nothing wrong. If you take time out of your day to check something out...you're not there for no reason. Maybe I need to take the car to a shop that specializes in alignments etc...they should be able to figure out what is causing this.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Advanced

rockstar143: please let me know if theres updates with the handling issue, its driving me nuts
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
practicing nihilist

what ever has our car's upset, I really don't think it's in the alignment. I've had my alignment checked three times, and re-balanced at least that many times. I have not replaced my engine mounts fearing that the increased harshness from the IM mounts would just add to the problem if that wasn't it.

I average about 37 mph in between a couple hundred stop lights now so, my wobble isn't bothering me.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Tripnbeats, any updates on your prototype?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

lol dude its been so hectic lately i got laid off a few weeks back and everythings become a hustle n grind. going from one place to the next, but the next few weeks i plan on taking time off from application filling.
anyway i got all my materials together except for one and it actually lets the material i wanna use adhere to the stock bushing rubber but i have to find a good dremel tip to grind and make the rubber coarse so the primer sticks to it (it fuses the compound to the already shaped rubber when curing also if u feel the rubber on there already its fairly slippery almost like silicone)
i actually got a very very nice batch of urethane instead of rubber... and im going to try it out....the rubber ive been trying to apply to the bushing doesnt seem like itll do enough to hold it together. so i found a semi "elastic" urethane that gives a nice stretch n rebound....i also built the jigs in the past few hours, so all i have to do is put the bushing in the jig compress it slightly...pour the goo let it dry and have the bushing pressed. we'll see what happens this week coming.
i have a good feeling about it.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
damn trip.. I hope something pops up on your radar soon, you have to work your connections in this market.. I have several friends out of work after being laid off for more than 6 mos now.. surviving off meager unemployment benefits.. They all have their master's in elec engrg too..

Keep us updated on the project!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

hope this helps. shitty blackberry pics but good teasers lol
Name:  bushing1.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  bushing2.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  41.2 KB
Name:  bushing3.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  44.1 KB
Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Is that the 75A urethane?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM

You have nice countertops.
and nice bushings. Great job making a prototype. I'd like to know how you feel they perform!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

nope its 60A....75A seemed unreasonable. i just felt like 75A was too hard for these types of bushings. 60A was good enough plus the primer thats applied the the OEM rubber is insane and makes the bond to the rubber amazing....i drilled a couple of holes through the rubber thats there from the factory to add some strength to the bond. Asd for strength....a friend of mine makes nuts n bolts for the governments aerospace programs.....hes got a puller that tests nuts n bolts. so this morn i put a heavy duty bolt through the middle, situated the bushing in a way to abuse the bushings new qualities and let the sucker rip........i applied about 1000lbs of force/pressure on the bushing and it shifted slightly and rebounded....but never broke... and by shifting i mean up n down like its supposed to in the control arm. it didnt show signs of stress.....my next thing is.... taking a completely stock bushing no mods to it or anything and putting it in the machine to see where it actually blows apart.....then ill have a good idea of where to bring the pressure to......i just didnt have time today to do everything i wanted to. as far as movement goes compared to the oem bushing....i can shift the oem one with my hands about 2-3mm up n down.... i cant even shift the modified one a mm, it just sits in a place.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
^ awesome work Trip..
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

lol and thanks rock
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

anytime. I wish i had the knowhow for something like this.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

thanks majo...
rock... its time consuming and everything is custom made.i have a few diff design ideas but i need to get donor bushings or new ones so time will tell..... im curious about changing a few things as well...we'll see whats up
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

i just cannot wait to put them on.....prob saturday unless i take the arms off at my house n bring them directly to the press and that would happen it would prob happen on friday.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 PM
8th Gear

Torn bushings

I'm new to this vehicle, having had my '05 TL for about 1 month. Has 94k miles on it and I have to thank this group for its amazing collective of knowledge in helping me solve the tranny issues with the 3x3 flush and replacement of the 3 & 4 gear pressure switches. Just did them this morning and amazing difference! Highly recommend as preventive maint. Also noticed the VERY TORN bushing on the driver's side when doing the pressure switches and am waiting with bated breath for the results of Tripn's ingenuity. I'm just coming off an Infiniti I30 which was an ok car to me, and do have some concerns about the TL's "darty" handling on rough or uneven roads. It sounds like the collective wisdom here is that the bushings aren't directly responsible for that, but my concern is whether this is a safety issue, as mine are severely torn. I wouldn't mind doing them myself with the S type OEM replacements pressed in, but the ball joints scare me. Any of you tackle this yourself, and if so, what level of difficulty out of a 5 scale for a diy'er with 5 being full pro shop experience necessary? Thx for any and all guidance.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

if u dont position the ball joint remover on center, you will bend the threads but thats about as hard as it gets, removing the arm isn that hard otherwise except for unscrewing everything and pressing is all about positioning the bushing correctly so make sure u mark the old ones before you remove em.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Answer me this, are my bushings bad?

Driver side Front:
http://www.electnilka.com/images/IMG_0796b.jpg

Passenger Side Front:
http://www.electnilka.com/images/IMG_0798b.jpg

I want to make sure I'm seeing the right thing.

Am I correct to assume that I need to change them both?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

yup torn. both gotta get changed i think acura should charge like 150 or 200 to do this service, instead of replacing the arms.... it makes sense and its less time consuming for the customer.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by GGYY
rockstar143: please let me know if theres updates with the handling issue, its driving me nuts

So did the new tires end up curing all the issues?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Mine are torn too, I spoke with the master tech working on my car (ecu full of water) and he stated almost every Acura/Honda he sees is like that. I'm pretty much screwed, since I'm lowered on Teins... I don't think they'll warranty them, do you?

Oh yeah, I get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel above 70...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Racer

Try, cant hurt to ask.

My dealer is replacing my control arms because of this.

They just told me their is a TSB about it so it seems to be a known problem.

Thing is I dropped my car off yesterday and didnt get to physically show anyone the issue so telling them over the phone they said they seen nothing wrong.

Sent them some pics from here and "oh yea we see now" and thats when they told me their is a tsb about the problem.

I say complain and try.

The more people that complain and bring this up maybe they will issue a recall so others dont have problem, or better yet maybe make a better design or update to it for us!

Quick Reply: '04 to '08 front lower control arm bushing failure - please read and look