AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   Radio out, car won't shift out of park (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/radio-out-car-wont-shift-out-park-778390/)

thaprinze 06-01-2010 07:55 PM

Radio out, car won't shift out of park

Hey guys,

I've searched for this problem for a while now, and I found one other person with a similar problem, but s/he didn't provide a fix.

This weekend I turned on my car, but it wouldn't let me shift out of park. Normally you hear a click when you push the brake down, but this didn't give me anything. I also noticed that my radio wouldn't turn on either, but the Anti Theft light on it was on, even though the car was on. I pushed the eject button, and sure enough, the cd popped right out, so it is getting power. I checked the fuses, and replaced a blown ACC Relay on the driver's side, but I still have the same issues. Does anyone know what I should check/try next?

I don't think this is a brake sensor thing, because as I said, the brake lights turn on, and the deck is acting like the security system is still active. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the security system that allows the car to turn on, but won't let you turn on the radio or change gears.

Also, I'm worried about trying to override the gear to neutral, turn it on, then try to shift gears to get it to a mechanic. I'm afraid of a bunch of wild scenarios running through my head.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

thaprinze 06-01-2010 07:58 PM

Crap... I just checked outside of the Problems & Fixes section and it looks like someone already asked this question a couple months ago & there is no solution.

Mods, feel free to delete this post. Thanks...

01tl4tl 06-02-2010 06:00 AM

first- its no prob to do the nuetral override- put the car key in the slot to right of shifter
push down key- press brakes and shift into N
Hold brakes on- move key to ignition and start car
All shifting is now normal- when you next stop the car and turn key off- it will require the N override again

If even 1 brake light bulb is out it can cause this- ck all including center light
Next is loose sender for brakelights at the pedal -it happens- get under there and look-
one sensor for brake light the other is cruise control disconnect

If the battery is weak it causes many problems - parts stores wil test the system for free

01tl4tl 06-02-2010 06:01 AM

what do you have added to the acc relay?
what caused its failure- thats not normal and may point to a short in the system~

fsttyms1 06-02-2010 01:34 PM

Check the fuses on the Passenger side fuse panel (thats where the radio and brake fuses are). Also make sure there isnt a Dime in the cig lighter socket.

eg5 06-02-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1 (Post 12063342)
Check the fuses on the Passenger side fuse panel (thats where the radio and brake fuses are). Also make sure there isnt a Dime in the cig lighter socket.

...lol.speaking from experience?

jdjohn84 06-03-2010 01:47 PM

Check to see if the relay has blown a second time. If it has, there is obviously still a problem somewhere in that circuit. Fuses and relays don't normally just wear-out, so simply replacing them may not do any good.

fsttyms1 06-03-2010 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by eg5 (Post 12064882)

No, but MANY others here have had that problem.

Da NeW sLim2 06-13-2010 08:08 PM

havin same issue .. im def having to use shift lock to get in gear

fsttyms1 06-13-2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Da NeW sLim2 (Post 12092774)
havin same issue .. im def having to use shift lock to get in gear

Your radio is out too, or you just have to use the shift lock to get it into gear?

thaprinze 02-24-2011 08:27 PM

Funny story... Here's how absent minded I am! Today I was driving home when all of a sudden my radio & phone charger both go out. Then when I stop to get gas, I can't shift up passed Neutral & can't get my keys out of the car.

Long story short, I start googling my issues & I'm lead to this thread... WHICH I STARTED!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Anyway, I never wrote back with the resolution the first time, but it's the Accessory Relay fuse, which can be found in the fuse box on the driver side.

01tl4tl 02-24-2011 09:34 PM

azine to the rescue once again!!

sypher2020 03-05-2011 10:49 PM

I have this issue, however, my radio and shifter usually work; I only have a problem once a week. I knock on the left-side of the radio and the power comes back and I can shift. The bulb to the driver's seat heater burnt out as well when this problem showed up. I doubt a fuse or relay is the culprit because the issue comes and goes. I am going to take the console apart and probe around for chaffed/bent wiring harness (es) etc...

Difinity 06-24-2014 09:24 AM

Hey guys. Having this same problem with the ACC fuse blowing. I say blowing since it's done it 3 times in 2 days. I don't want to do another since it's obviously not fixing the problem.

My first thought was there is a loose wire somewhere grounding out, but no wiring changes have taken place, so there's no obvious place to start looking for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking or what I should be looking for?

01tl4tl 06-24-2014 09:56 AM

wow- heck of a thread revival!

just guessing but we have a problem with the cabin fan-blower motor power connector under front edge of glovebox, tight wires lead to loose connect and possible short as plastic melts away!
20-25$ for new connector setup at acura..ask for the Update Kit - just splice in

you may have to unplug the connector to find the loose wires or damage--hidden from view

ErickUa5 06-24-2014 10:26 AM

Any aftermarket accessories ?
Radio, anything in the Accessory sockets (under the radio and behind the cup holder) check those and remove if any.

Capree QueenPree VC 03-13-2017 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by thaprinze (Post 12061465)
Crap... I just checked outside of the Problems & Fixes section and it looks like someone already asked this question a couple months ago & there is no solution.

Mods, feel free to delete this post. Thanks...

Can you tell me how you fixed your issue? I'm having the same issue.

Abigail Aguilar 05-21-2017 06:51 AM

ft

it happrn ti me too what cani do wont shit radio wont go off

Originally Posted by eg5 (Post 12064882)

Originally Posted by thaprinze (Post 12061458)
Hey guys,

I've searched for this problem for a while now, and I found one other person with a similar problem, but s/he didn't provide a fix.

This weekend I turned on my car, but it wouldn't let me shift out of park. Normally you hear a click when you push the brake down, but this didn't give me anything. I also noticed that my radio wouldn't turn on either, but the Anti Theft light on it was on, even though the car was on. I pushed the eject button, and sure enough, the cd popped right out, so it is getting power. I checked the fuses, and replaced a blown ACC Relay on the driver's side, but I still have the same issues. Does anyone know what I should check/try next?

I don't think this is a brake sensor thing, because as I said, the brake lights turn on, and the deck is acting like the security system is still active. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the security system that allows the car to turn on, but won't let you turn on the radio or change gears.

Also, I'm worried about trying to override the gear to neutral, turn it on, then try to shift gears to get it to a mechanic. I'm afraid of a bunch of wild scenarios running through my head.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

the