AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-problems-fixes-160/)
-   -   RDX won't start (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-problems-fixes-160/rdx-wont-start-680923/)

robbhamilton 01-06-2007 01:17 PM

RDX won't start

in addition to my stereo woes, the latest glitch really caught me off guard. my "two and a half" week-old RDX would not start this afternoon. i had battery. when i turned the ignition switch to auxillary, i had accessory power. when i turned to the start position, the navigation, upper display, and hvac blower all went out. upon returning to the auxillary position, they returned. i tried multiple times to start across a 5 minute period. nothing. i called acura care for a tow. after squaring that away, they said i should call leith to give them the heads up. upon doing so and speaking with a service manager (the excellent jason sherman), whaddyaknow? it started. needless to say, i drove it straight to leith. i'm gonna have a loaner RDX for a few days. leith can't take a look at mine until tuesday or wednesday. i've already noticed that the stereo in the loaner doesn't have all the noise/rattle/distortion from the speakers mine does. clearly there are gremlins in the electrical system of mine. :(

chyllintsx 01-06-2007 02:17 PM

yea ur car def behaves at the dealer.. sucks man good luck on the fixes

Pacer 01-06-2007 05:42 PM

robb, what's your vin series (last five digits)? 9xxx, 10,xxx, etc.

robbhamilton 01-07-2007 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pacer
robb, what's your vin series (last five digits)? 9xxx, 10,xxx, etc.

Pacer 01-08-2007 10:43 AM

Hmm. Good luck and let us know what the culprit was.

robbhamilton 01-10-2007 05:13 PM

the service manager called this afternoon. after i dropped the rdx off, he was unable to start it, so there was no issue duplicating the bug. apparently, there was a bad solenoid related to the gear shift. if the car doesn't think it's in park (even though it is), it won't start. moving the gear shifter to neutral is one way to test for this. apparently this bug is common on other acuras and newer cars. learn something new everyday.

Pacer 01-10-2007 06:35 PM

Interesting, good to know. Thanks. Hope the fix stays.

c_hunter 01-10-2007 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by robbhamilton
the service manager called this afternoon. after i dropped the rdx off, he was unable to start it, so there was no issue duplicating the bug. apparently, there was a bad solenoid related to the gear shift. if the car doesn't think it's in park (even though it is), it won't start. moving the gear shifter to neutral is one way to test for this. apparently this bug is common on other acuras and newer cars. learn something new everyday.

That's a fairly common issue with many cars with automatic transmission. Whenever this happens (no cranking at all) jiggling the shift lever is usually the best way to diagnose (and possibly fix, if only temporarily) the problem.

robbhamilton 01-16-2007 07:35 AM

turns out it was a bad switch in the shifter. something for other owners to be aware of.