AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   Clicking noise when starting..NEW BATTERY (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/clicking-noise-when-starting-new-battery-641095/)

Forevafire 06-10-2008 03:34 PM

Clicking noise when starting..NEW BATTERY

I have had my 2000 TL for about two months. I have not had very good luck with this car considering the fourth day I had it the transmission went out. Yesterday I went out to go to a couple places, car started up GREAT every time. I came home for about five minutes then realized I forgot something and quickly drove to pick it up. After returning home I leave about 20 minutes later and all I get is a click noise, sounds like the battery is dead. I go into my garage and get the jumper pack and hook it up, still clicking noise. So today I go a purchase a new battery (Duracell Gold). After I put it in I STILL get the clicking noise. I was very angry and tried to start it again with more force. I guess when I was mad I pushed the key harder into the ignition BAM it starts. I let the car run for about five minutes then take the key out to see if I get the clicking noise again. And to my surprise I do. So what I have found out is that when I push the key harder into the ignition it will start (8 times out of 10). When I try to start the car without pushing the key hard into the ignition I will get the clicking noise. I am going to call a mechanic later tonight but I wanted to get you opinions to see if I could fix it myself. Any idea what this could be? Thanks

fsttyms1 06-10-2008 06:42 PM

i dont know how pushing the key in harder would do any thing, but if it is that i would say possibly the ignition? If not that i would say the clicking is due to the starter being bad?

Forevafire 06-10-2008 09:06 PM

What do you think about it being an ignition switch? Considering when I push harder it makes contact.

01tl4tl 06-10-2008 11:50 PM

the 99s had a recall on the ignition switch- maybe yours falls under the covered VIN range
If not- they sell they electrical part that is the back of the switch- so you dont change keys.
That sounds like your problem. Also note that brand new batteries ona shelf do not have a full charge and you need to drive around 30 minutes to get it topped off

Did Acura dealer hook you up on a warranty transmission? an 00 would be just on the time limits.
Whats the cars mileage? not salvage title?

Forevafire 06-11-2008 03:43 PM

Nope because I had too many miles and they said that the year was out of date too, so I payed almost 4500 for a new trans. :whyme: I called the Acura dealership and a local mechanic, both said it was the ignition switch. So yesterday I went out to the dealership and purchased the elctronical part of the ignition switch for 85 bucks. I am going to go out right now and attempt to put it in, I'll let you guys know if that fixes my problem. Man I sure hope it does.

Forevafire 06-11-2008 09:01 PM

All right guys well I put the new ignition switch in. Was working fine right after I put it in. I turned the car off and on 5 times in about 3 minutes everything was perfect. Went out to leave and what do ya know, it started up again. Any clues? I am going to try to get it into a shop asap.

Forevafire 06-12-2008 10:05 PM

Well I am replacing the starter tomorrow. Picked one up from autozone for 130. Called two Acura dealerships, one priced the starter at 290 the other at 400? Crazy. One of the guys at the Acura dealership thought it could be the main timer relay? What do you think?
Help me out guys!!!!!! I don't want to have to spend anymore for no reason!

01tl4tl 06-12-2008 10:33 PM

after you have the new starter- DO NOT do repeated starts to test it- you cant imagine the stress that puts on it!! and on the new battery!
iirc, the starter is the single biggest amperage draw of power on the battery, and the charging system takes ~more than a minute~ to rejuice the battery to full--- so starting it 5 times in a row is going to be brutal- IMO

Since you are way past trans limits, I am guessing 150k-200k ++++ miles? and it may have been neglected car, or owner just did not know whats important to do on a TL ??

Change/Flush the brake fluid system immediatly- its easy and cheap insurance + better brake pedal ~feel~ and operation, no it doesnt save you gas
-see DIY section- the only trick part is the order is different than a normal car
for a TL its LF RF RR LR

bibledriver 06-12-2008 11:50 PM

So, just to be straight, it started up again and didn't start, right?
Just to check the basics, the battery terminals ARE clean and in good condition, correct?