AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TL (1996-1998) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/)
-   -   acura tl 2.5 1996 Battery drains and car dies while driving. (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/acura-tl-2-5-1996-battery-drains-car-dies-while-driving-821277/)

lee4life 06-01-2011 03:23 PM

acura tl 2.5 1996 Battery drains and car dies while driving.

i bought an new alternator and a new battery, battery still drains whats the issue. i swaped a new engine for my car 2 months ago, it was running fine, the problem didnt happen till now. Can it be a loose ground wire in my car that is draining out my battery, if there is a loose ground wire where can it be at, when i swaped the engine there was only one ground wire that was screwed onto the value cover. I set the engine running while i removed the battery cable and the car runs do to the alternator which means alternator is still good. i drove my car for 2 hours yesterday and my head lights, cluster light started dimming low. My radio died and my abs came on and my car died afterwards.

Go90go 06-01-2011 04:38 PM

Check to make sure the alternator cable terminal isn't corroded. Mine was really bad and had actually split in two so it would only have intermittent contact. It'd charge for awhile, then run on battery only and die out. A new cable and ring terminal solved the problem.

~Cheers~

lee4life 06-01-2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Go90go (Post 12988358)
Check to make sure the alternator cable terminal isn't corroded. Mine was really bad and had actually split in two so it would only have intermittent contact. It'd charge for awhile, then run on battery only and die out. A new cable and ring terminal solved the problem.

~Cheers~

what cable are you talking about? the alternator cable or the battery cable

vipstar 06-02-2011 12:22 AM

either, if any of those are corroded i'd be replacing that wire. Hell replace them anyways. It won't cost much to do and it may fix your problem.

Go90go 06-02-2011 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Go90go (Post 12988358)

~Cheers~

Originally Posted by lee4life (Post 12989290)
what cable are you talking about? the alternator cable or the battery cable

The alternator cable. The one that goes from the alternator to the fuse box.

Originally Posted by vipstar (Post 12989457)
either, if any of those are corroded i'd be replacing that wire. Hell replace them anyways. It won't cost much to do and it may fix your problem.

That's a good idea. I made my own replacement from some JL power wire that was laying around.

~Cheers~

TJ2.5TL 06-03-2011 04:10 PM

Crap, I just bought an alternator last night. I'm going to check my cables before I put it on. Hope that's what the issue is

memphisraines26 06-09-2011 10:26 PM

I think I have alternator problems now but haven't taken it off to test it. any updates?

TexasHonda 06-11-2011 12:53 PM

A loose harmonic balancer bushing will allow the outer pulley to slip and prevent alternator from charging correctly. For some reason this does not set the ALT light on, but car will drive until battery is dead at night w/ lights on.

I wrote a thread on this problem 2-3 yrs back. It led to numerous consequences and disasters.

good luck

craig willes 01-02-2013 01:18 PM

i have a 93 acura integra . the battery goes dead when it sits for a day.has anyone out there had this issue and resolved it ? if i jump it it does charge. i installed a new battery ,no change.idid drive thru a fooot of water last week.

main70072 01-04-2013 10:35 PM

The problem might go away after a few days of sitting in sunlight since you mentioned the problem started after driving thru high water. If not, you have to find the source of drain.

Mandy 01-08-2013 06:08 PM

Common mistake is to replace the battery but not resolve the root cause which is the inability to charge the battery because of poor connections. 1st attack is the cable batteries. They should be clean and have good contacts, nice and tight.

982.5TL 01-13-2013 11:52 AM

I had this similar problem a few years ago before I got rid of my car. I tested the alternator, replaced distributor and cables, and even replaced battery and battery cables. No change... still happened.

Turned out it was my crankshaft pulley/belt I think, (it was a few years ago) After owning the car for 8 years, the teeth on the belt were pretty much worn out and the pulley itself was worn as well. The belt is also attached to the alternator which would be causing your battery not to charge when you drive.

My car did the EXACT same thing yours did. ABS light would come on, car would sputter then die. Then I would jump it and it would be okay some days, and die others just dependent on how well the belt and pulley decided to catch that day.

Hope this helps at all.

freewayJ 09-22-2013 07:18 AM

How did u fix it having same problem

LaFlare 02-19-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by lee4life (Post 12988132)
i bought an new alternator and a new battery, battery still drains whats the issue. i swaped a new engine for my car 2 months ago, it was running fine, the problem didnt happen till now. Can it be a loose ground wire in my car that is draining out my battery, if there is a loose ground wire where can it be at, when i swaped the engine there was only one ground wire that was screwed onto the value cover. I set the engine running while i removed the battery cable and the car runs do to the alternator which means alternator is still good. i drove my car for 2 hours yesterday and my head lights, cluster light started dimming low. My radio died and my abs came on and my car died afterwards.

what should i do/

HP11 02-20-2014 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by LaFlare (Post 14885393)
what should i do/

Post your own question instead of quoting a nearly three year old one.......unless you're a 'bot...in which case, go away.

adventurecrv 02-27-2014 07:45 PM

Had similar issue a few weeks back. I replaced the alternator, but the issue came back. Turned out it was the harmonic balancer...

All good now.

Shedrick Ballard 03-15-2017 10:06 PM

I have a 1996 aura tl the abs light comes on and the battery drains while driving, but the car doesnt stop. However when I park the car I hear a clicking behind the glove box. Can anybody help me?