AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   How do I take off my door panel??? HELP!!! (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/how-do-i-take-off-my-door-panel-help-174631/)

02-20-2001 01:53 PM

How do I take off my door panel??? HELP!!!

I have a 2001 Acura CL Type S. Can anyone explain step by step how to get the door panel off safely without damaging it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks Brad

TL Daddy 02-20-2001 07:05 PM

I can tell you how to remove the panel in a TL. Maybe the CL is similar? Tell me, is there a small plug behind your chrome door handle/opener? Also is there a hole at the bottom of your armrest? If so, here's what you do:
1) Carefully remove the plastic triangle inside of your side mirrors. You have to pry it out at the back then slowly pull it out. You won't break the tabs if you're careful.
2) Carefully pry the small plug behind your door latch. It is hinged and will not fall out - just pry with a small screwdriver from the fron side and remove the screw underneath.
3) Pulll the whole door latch assembly out and towards the dash just a little, and push away the small plastic thingy holding the door rod. Now you can remove the hanlde and cup it sits in.
4) Now use a long Philips screwdriver to remove the screw under your armrest.
5) Now you can slowly pull the door panel away from the door - there are about 8 "clips" that are holding it. Just start at the back of the door and work you way around to the fron popping the clips every 6 inches (or so).
6) Now that the clips are loose push up on the panel as it is being held by a large flange that is as long as your window (under the chrome strip). You may have to wiggle it a little.
7) Before you take the panel away from the car reach behind the panel and release all the wiring harnesses for your power window and door locks, etc.
8) The panel should be in your hands. Hope that works for the coupe?? I used this procedure outlined in my Helm Service manual for my '99 TL. Good luck.

02-20-2001 09:57 PM

Thanks a million for your help, it is a huge help. I do have a couple of other questions though. How do I take off the lock button near the top right of the door panel? Does it come straight up and off? Also does the plastic cup where the door handle come completely out? Or does it stay intact with the rest of the door panel? Thanks again, Brad

TL Daddy 02-20-2001 10:11 PM

The door lock stays on - you just pull the panel up and over it. The plastic cup with the door handle comes off - after you remove the screw pull it forward to remove and release it by "pushing" that little plastic piece off of the door lock rod.

jennylynnosu 11-23-2009 06:57 PM

Thank You!

This forum was so helpful! Today I took my 01 cl type s in for an oil change and got home and wasn't able to exit my driver side door. I had to roll down the window and use the outside handle so I panicked and called the dealership. They told me the cost to repair it would start at $100 so I decided to google ways to take my door panel apart and found these directions. Thank you so much! I figured out that all I need is a little plastic piece and I'm good to go! I am so glad I didn't waste $100+ on that! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!

Jonesi 11-23-2009 08:01 PM

Congrats...!! Welcome to the forums. If there's any other questions you have let us know. Enjoy your stay.