AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/)
-   -   4 wheel Alignment on SH-AWD RL (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/4-wheel-alignment-sh-awd-rl-727338/)

Rhlieu 05-19-2009 05:18 PM

4 wheel Alignment on SH-AWD RL

I was recently at my Acura dealership to have some warranty work done, and requested for the tech to check out a steering wheel vibration during 40+MPH driving. I just got a call from them staying that a tire needs to be balance and 4 wheel alignment should be done. They said the cost would be $230 :what:..... So the question I have is, can I pretty much get a 4 wheel alignment anywhere (Goodyear/Firestone etc)? Or does our SH-AWD system need a Acura tech to do alignment?

Professor 05-19-2009 06:22 PM

If it's not pulling one way or another... to heck with an alignment. Do forced balancing to the wheels then test it out.

jfarabaugh 05-19-2009 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rhlieu (Post 10916711)
I was recently at my Acura dealership to have some warranty work done, and requested for the tech to check out a steering wheel vibration during 40+MPH driving. I just got a call from them staying that a tire needs to be balance and 4 wheel alignment should be done. They said the cost would be $230 :what:..... So the question I have is, can I pretty much get a 4 wheel alignment anywhere (Goodyear/Firestone etc)? Or does our SH-AWD system need a Acura tech to do alignment?

$230 ?!!?!?!
Thats insane! My Acrua Dealer in West Chester PA charges around $90 for a 4 wheel alignment.
I would never let the idiots at any tire or quick oil and lube place touch my car. Most of them have no idea what they are doing nor take any care/pride in their work.

037 05-19-2009 09:45 PM

to answer your question, 4 wheel allignment is a fancy way of saying allignment. Any competent shop is good enough for that.

sherman_nguyen 05-20-2009 12:02 AM

go to america's tire, they have a very good service and it is very cheap . I recently bought a warrayty tire from them stating that within 3 years, if any of my tire is unrepairable or blown away they will replace it with the OEM tire with no additional charge. In addition to that, you can do tire alignment and rotation for free!!!

MaxAlexand 05-20-2009 10:16 PM

My dealer charged me $144 for alignment on my '08.

Don't let them tell you there is anything special or complicated about aligning this car. ANY TRUSTWORTHY shop can do this for less.

psheu 05-20-2009 10:45 PM

$60.... $15 each wheel.... no more.... and this is at Acura dealer.... $40 for local shop.... and allignment on our RL is the same as any other car.... it's gotta be straight;)

Rhlieu 05-21-2009 07:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I will be going to a non-acura dealership for the 4 wheels aligment and see if it fixes the vibration. This fourm has save me some decent amount of money on DYI/info, but has broken the bank on mods and upgrades :whyme:

rlerman 05-23-2009 06:52 AM

I recently had an alignment on my car when I had my tires changed. I knew it needed one because it pulled very slightly and tire wear was just a little uneven. I took it to a local firestone and they did a good job, the car no longer pulls. For $139, I got a lifetime alignment so basically every time I bring my tires in for a rotation, which is free since I bought the tires from them, I also get an alignment.

psheu 05-23-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by rlerman (Post 10930445)
I recently had an alignment on my car when I had my tires changed. I knew it needed one because it pulled very slightly and tire wear was just a little uneven. I took it to a local firestone and they did a good job, the car no longer pulls. For $139, I got a lifetime alignment so basically every time I bring my tires in for a rotation, which is free since I bought the tires from them, I also get an alignment.

wow.... great deal $139 for life time alignment:thumbsup: what tire did u wrap on your rims? Michellins from Firestone aren't cheap....

DXplicitOne 05-26-2009 02:14 PM

Im still confused why you are getting an alignment. Alignments are typically the last thing to look at when you are vibrating. Pulling and tire wear are the normal Alignment issues you want to have that done for. Save yourself some money like the first response you got said and just get your tires balanced at a good shop and start with that. Typically vibration is in the wheel & tire combo because of an inbalance not in the alignment adjustment areas. Please try balancing of the tires first 9/10 times thats where the problem will be.
Just because a dealer says you need this doesnt mean that its true. Service advisors get paid to sell service to you not to be your friend. We all know the dealer loves to rip us a new one so please dont believe everything they say.

rlerman 05-26-2009 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by psheu (Post 10930723)
wow.... great deal $139 for life time alignment:thumbsup: what tire did u wrap on your rims? Michellins from Firestone aren't cheap....

Yeah, bought the lifetime for my sequoia as well, same deal. For tires, I bought the bridgestone serenity, really like them, though some on here think they aren't up to snuff. Think I paid about $168/tire, Michelins were $242, didn't think it was worth the extra $300.