AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   Need input. Some low life put eggs down the gas tank WTF!! (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/need-input-some-low-life-put-eggs-down-gas-tank-wtf-731036/)

JTS97Z28 06-12-2009 08:25 AM

Need input. Some low life put eggs down the gas tank WTF!!

First off I wanna say this was not done to my Type S. The one and only night we left the wife's 04 Accord V6 sit outside and some low life punks do this. We life in a brand new neighborhood where you could pretty much leave everything unlocked all day and night (atleast we thought). Anyway, I guess she forgot to lock her car that night and now just today on her way to work she went to fill it up with gas but said that she couldnt because the fuel filler neck was completely caked by dried egg. Never heard of people doing such a thing. Now my question is what do I need to do to clean this up and make sure nothing gets damaged in the fuel system or engine?
Obviously there is a fuel filter but I dont want that to get clogged. Will the gasoline itself dissolve the eggs? I gotta figure out how to clean the fuel filler neck she said she couldnt even get the gas pump in there.
Ugh im so pissed right now any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

mrsteve 06-12-2009 08:30 AM

That's a new one... I'm interested to see what answers are given.

LoveMyTL-S 06-12-2009 08:44 AM

Well, as far as the egg up around the nozzle, just clean it with a rag and some general cleaner. As far as egg in the gas tank.....hmmmm, not sure about that. The gasoline was disolve it. I wonder how many they put in there?

acuintegra 06-12-2009 08:53 AM

I'm thinking there should not be too much damage one egg in a 17 gallon tank can do. We are talking about just one egg after all, right? Figure your car just got a nice dose of protein, some water, some fat and may have a slightly elevated level of cholesterol! All serious, maybe pop in a bottle of fuel cleaner in the next fillup

JTS97Z28 06-12-2009 09:10 AM

Well I dont know how many egss were put in. I just talked to a buddy who works for an insurance company and he was able to bring up diagrams on that car. He said the fuel filler tube is seperate from the gas tank and is held onto the tank by a hose clamp. Im gonna take the rear wheel off, remove the wheel well plastic lining and pull off the fuel filler tubes and see if any of the egg even got into the tank. If not all I will have to do is clean the heck out of the fuel filler tubes and should be good to go.

iTimmy 06-12-2009 09:22 AM

^^^ that sounds like a good plan, better to be safe then sorry. If it was only one or two eggs I wouldn't worry to much about what made it into the tank, and I can't see someone putting much more then that in there, otherwise you have some ambitious punks in your area! Be thankful it wasn't sugar, it would be a much more painful experience. It blows my mind that some people are of such low character they will deliberately go out of their way to make a strangers life difficult.

JTS97Z28 06-12-2009 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by iTimmy (Post 11001081)
^^^ that sounds like a good plan, better to be safe then sorry. If it was only one or two eggs I wouldn't worry to much about what made it into the tank, and I can't see someone putting much more then that in there, otherwise you have some ambitious punks in your area! Be thankful it wasn't sugar, it would be a much more painful experience. It blows my mind that some people are of such low character they will deliberately go out of their way to make a strangers life difficult.

Yeah I hear ya...sugar would have been worse? Wouldnt that just dissolve right up in the fuel and be burned right out with the rest of the gas?
Who knows what else they put in there im hoping just a couple eggs. but yeah tomorrow morning im gonna take it apart and hopefully its didnt even make its way down into the tank.

James

CocheseUGA 06-12-2009 10:08 AM

Sugar doesn't dissolve in gas. Well, perhaps partially, but it's an urban legend. It will sink to the bottom of your tank.

Here's further reading:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

What's more interesting is the egg. Gas will obviously not dissolve the water content, but it should dissolve the lipids and proteins. End result is probably a negligible increase in water.

This is purely a guess, though. I'd be interested to know if the eggshell dissolves.

fsttyms1 06-12-2009 10:47 AM

I would take the filler neck off and clean it good. Look to see if there is much egg shell in the hose. If there is hopefully it got stuck there and not in the tank. The egg it self i wouldnt really worry about. Worst case you have to have the tank cleaned.

SwervinCL 06-12-2009 10:48 AM

Who in the hell really does this?

I don't really know of any advice to give you other than to not drive it until you find out for sure if it can hurt the engine.

NightHawk CL9 06-12-2009 10:49 AM

Experiment time? get a gallon of gas in a container and drop an egg in it and see what happens.....

Like said before if it was one egg then I think your ok, plus doesn't the fuel filler have a small lip that needs to be opened in order to get to the tube to go to the tank? thats not easy to keep open and pour/put egg inside.

TheMirror 06-12-2009 11:27 AM

I wouldn't be worried at all about the contents of the egg, its the shell that's the problem. Likely any shell bits would just settle to the bottom of the tank like any other debris.

westas2 06-12-2009 11:55 AM

Just as important as the car is trying to figure out if it was in fact random. Piss anyone off lately? When you start working on the car to fix it, see if anyone in the neighborhood seems to be especially interested in what you're doing.......

JTS97Z28 06-12-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by westas2 (Post 11001573)
Just as important as the car is trying to figure out if it was in fact random. Piss anyone off lately? When you start working on the car to fix it, see if anyone in the neighborhood seems to be especially interested in what you're doing.......

Cant think of anything that me or my wife would have done to piss anyone off. We have good relations with our neighbors and its a brand spankin new subdivision.

Josh99CL 06-12-2009 12:42 PM

Kids in the neighborhood thinking they're cool or funny. It's the same kind of shit that causes kids to bash mail boxes.

It was likely a random hit by some random neighborhood kids :2cents:

LuvMyTSX 06-12-2009 12:58 PM

I'd report it to the police, too, in case these bastards did it to other cars in the neighborhood.

We had a problem with kids and eggs 2 years ago in our neighborhood. Every few weeks, the assholes would come around and egg every car on the street, and even started damaging houses and other property. All my neighbors started to report these incidents to the police, and we got them caught.

teranfon 06-12-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 11001051)
Well I dont know how many egss were put in. I just talked to a buddy who works for an insurance company and he was able to bring up diagrams on that car. He said the fuel filler tube is seperate from the gas tank and is held onto the tank by a hose clamp. Im gonna take the rear wheel off, remove the wheel well plastic lining and pull off the fuel filler tubes and see if any of the egg even got into the tank. If not all I will have to do is clean the heck out of the fuel filler tubes and should be good to go.

That's probably what I would do as well. If a small amount of egg made it's way into the fuel I wouldn't worry about it. You (or your wife) have obviously driven the car since the incident, and unless the fuel pressure sensor (I'm assuming your car has one) shuts the car down I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry

Loseit 06-12-2009 05:04 PM

Ummm.....your avatar says Joliet. The words "Joliet" , "doors unlocked", "safe" etc. do not go in the same sentence. :rofl:

that sux...but if it still running you are probably ok.

PortlandRL 06-12-2009 05:05 PM

I've got gasoline and eggs...you want me to experiment for ya?

JTS97Z28 06-12-2009 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Loseit (Post 11002462)
Ummm.....your avatar says Joliet. The words "Joliet" , "doors unlocked", "safe" etc. do not go in the same sentence. :rofl:

that sux...but if it still running you are probably ok.

Yeah I know I put Joliet in there but im actually nowhere near downtown Joliet and yes I know there are some pretty crummy neighborhoods there. Im just south of Caton Farm Rd and Ridge Rd (even west of Rt 59) in a brand new subdivision my house isnt even 2 years old. Its a good neighborhood not where your probably thinking over in Joliet.

phee 06-12-2009 11:14 PM

torch under the gas tank!!

sunny side up FTW!!!

JTS97Z28 06-13-2009 09:58 AM

This morning I took everything apart and removed the entire fuel filler tube going to the tank. I cleaned everything up real nice and its all back together now. There was some egg yoke down the tube but not much. Most was all stuck up at the top. She is all back together now no harm done. F'in idiots!

Gfaze 06-13-2009 09:31 PM

Now it's time to buy a locking gas cap.

loulinjai 06-13-2009 09:42 PM

If i remember correctly, the AV6 has the same gas-lock mechanism as the Acura, which means you have to go inside to release the gas lid on the body. (unless you pry on it)

From now on, lock the car...also there might be water in the gas tank from the eggs...If I remember correctly, ethanol absorbs water...try filling up with ethanol to solve potential water problems.

neuronbob 06-14-2009 05:47 AM

This sucks. It's threads like this that led me to have a heart-to-heart with the wife about our garage situation and my fear of theft/vandalism. She was kind :love: and now my V lives in the garage instead of her Pilot.

Whiskers 06-14-2009 06:39 AM

Add bacon... :dunno:

mrsteve 06-14-2009 08:53 AM

:rofl:

Mark Ficcaglia 11-04-2016 06:40 PM

Never heard of this

But on Halloween some d bag put eggs into the fuel tank of my semi, now it won't pull fuel off that tank.

gatrhumpy 11-07-2016 10:01 AM

:zombie: thread.