AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/)
-   -   CT-Engineering Intake Installed (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/ct-engineering-intake-installed-885650/)

CleanCL 04-19-2013 04:09 PM

CT-Engineering Intake Installed

Got this bad boy strapped in today, some things to note: car has throttle body work and the RV6 J-pipe (third cat removed), and I've removed my bumper/battery/intake numerous times before.

The install is very straight forward except for one part. As I said, I had done this so many times, I knew what was coming. I cringed. The factory intake forms a U shape, drops down from the left side of the battery, enters an unseen resonator, and comes back up into the airbox on the right/top of the battery. The problem is getting all the tubing out. The directions say some aspects of the install are optional and you can leave some stuff. If you're like me, leaving unused items in my engine bay is unacceptable. :)

Step 1 states to raise the car on jacks, I did not, and had no problem. Total install time was 2 hours. Do what you feel is safe.

Here's the biggest pain. As a point of reference here is the battery tray, facing the car head on. I've circled the tab to keep the reference.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-19142710.jpg

Here is the tray out of the car. No easy task. Again referencing the circled red tab. From this perspective, we are looking at the tray from underneath. The 3 green areas circled are bolts that need to be removed. You must blindly remove bolts (that are very tight) with almost no arm room. I'm not a big person, but not small. Anyone with bigger hands/wrists, I would find this almost impossible. Anyway, you have to use the baby wrench for this step.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-19143750.jpg

Results? Heck yea. I let the car idle (after having the battery removed for 2 hours) for about 15-20 minutes. I always spot a difference when I don't have to rev as high while getting up to the same speed as before. The car pulls much stronger throughout the whole power band. I know people are always promoting HP, but for me the torque is huge. I'm really pleased with this combination of modifications. This car with some light modifications really gets amplified.

Now with no resonator, you get more intake sound. Nothing over bearing or annoying. It sounds great coupled with the exhaust sound. And I will state, I am NOT about loudness or drone, so I am very picky about that factor. I had the short ram intake everyone else has and promptly got rid of it because I thought it sounded like junk, if that's indication of my preferences.

CT-Engineering makes awesome products, they are always worth the wait. Also thanks to Josh at Excelerate (http://www.excelerateperformance.com/) for getting me this intake so quickly.

Nap time. :thumbsup:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-19163725.jpg

types1fan 04-19-2013 04:32 PM

Nice rightup, I got mine on Thursday and will install on Tuesday with some other goodies. I don't have any mods that will give me more power so I'll have to pay attention and feel how much more the torque improved with the Icebox.

Excelerate 04-19-2013 04:33 PM

:thumbsup:

Enjoy.

deuce415 04-19-2013 04:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I plan to install mine tonight.

Do you think the bolts to the tray accessible from underneath the car if you jacked it up?

potmilkz 04-19-2013 05:00 PM

one of you should just do a step by step install..

this will help the members here to see how the install goes in a full view.

dirtyo2000 04-19-2013 07:26 PM

Great info. If no one does one by the end of next month ill do a step by step with pictures. Nice info and pics.

wreak 04-19-2013 08:50 PM

Any photos of it installed in the bay?

Zelaya 04-20-2013 07:57 AM

Thanks for the write up. Since you have installed the RV6 Jpipe have you feel any difference and sound?

Pablo12TL 06-15-2013 05:52 AM

How is life with this bad boy?

CleanCL 06-25-2013 04:49 PM

I pulled some parts off the car to get some warranty work. Unrelated to the parts, but just makes warranty work go a little easier. No back and forth or pointing fingers. Nearly all stock at the moment, it's quite a noticeable difference.

I'll get them all back on shortly. I was rather enjoying it. I felt like with the intake opened up so much now, I need to do more than the RV6 J-Pipe. Before I thought the restriction was on the intake side, now it feels opposite even with the aftermarket J-Pipe that removes the third cat. That's my impression.

dirtyo2000 06-25-2013 06:04 PM

That's where I'm at now. Had the car serviced and they flashed the trans for the converter TSB. Took the car home and did the cats, J pipe, and Ice box. Now the trans is acting funny. Think I'm going to put the factory cats and J pipe back on.

Will take my chances with the Ice Box since I don't feel like dealing with pulling the front end back off to get all the tubing back in for the factory airbox. I think the Cats were a waste of time so Ill just throw the J pipe back on once the transmission problem is sorted out.

CleanCL 06-26-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dirtyo2000 (Post 14549108)
That's where I'm at now. Had the car serviced and they flashed the trans for the converter TSB. Took the car home and did the cats, J pipe, and Ice box. Now the trans is acting funny. Think I'm going to put the factory cats and J pipe back on.

Will take my chances with the Ice Box since I don't feel like dealing with pulling the front end back off to get all the tubing back in for the factory airbox. I think the Cats were a waste of time so Ill just throw the J pipe back on once the transmission problem is sorted out.

I didn't bother putting all the factory tubing back into place on the front end. I just pulled the air horn out, left the metal bracket to hold the brake duct in place. Then I just pulled the battery and removed the icebox. Dropped the factory box into place, granted didn't put all the bolts back in place, but it has been fine.

deuce415 06-26-2013 10:27 AM

I'm going to have to do the same if I ever take my car into service (drop the factory intake back in without the factory tubing). The factory tubing was a pain to take out, probably be 2 times worse putting back.

23109VC 07-02-2013 12:49 PM

do you guys with the CTE Icebox think it was worth the money / labor?

HeartTLs 07-05-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 23109VC (Post 14559642)
do you guys with the CTE Icebox think it was worth the money / labor?

Ehhh... prob not. I'd go fast mods on the 4G in general might be a total waste and instead spending that money on visual things such as forged wheels instead of cast.

potmilkz 07-06-2013 07:04 PM

if i had to do it all over again.. i drop money on a set of forged wheels instead of getting the atlp....

Pablo12TL 08-23-2014 06:34 AM

I just got my icebox after a 3 month back order wait from CT. Hope to install this upcoming week and will post feedback

Excelerate 08-26-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pablo12TL (Post 15131848)
I just got my icebox after a 3 month back order wait from CT. Hope to install this upcoming week and will post feedback

:thumbsup:

It's ridiculous how long it took to ship but you'll be happy with the finished product.

23109VC 08-27-2014 07:45 PM

I'm curious if you think the icebox intake adds any power at all??!

How does it sound? Different at all or mostly sounds stock?

Originally Posted by Pablo12TL (Post 15131848)

dirtyo2000 08-28-2014 12:48 AM

Sounds stock and you really don't feel a difference. But you'll convince yourself it's doing something for what you paid for it

Excelerate 08-28-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 23109VC (Post 15137620)
I'm curious if you think the icebox intake adds any power at all??!

How does it sound? Different at all or mostly sounds stock?

CT-E generally is conservative when it comes to dynos and power gains and they state that the CT-E intake makes 16whp.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1731624.aspx

workTL 08-28-2014 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by dirtyo2000 (Post 15138066)
Sounds stock and you really don't feel a difference. But you'll convince yourself it's doing something for what you paid for it

Honesty. :thumbsup:

Pablo12TL 09-01-2014 07:20 AM

So the intake is on and I dig it. Hardest part of the install is the removal of the lower tubing under the battery tray, which is a bear. After that, the rest is cake.

Initial impressions are a subtle growl at WOT and a bit more pep in the step. I don't recall chirping tires in 1st gear before but now that is possible. It's a grown up intake which works for me at age 33 now. I'm looking forward to getting more drive time and will post thoughts.

I can imagine an exhaust would really open up the total sound a ton.

KarKraze 09-04-2014 09:59 PM

Taking out the battery tray saves you the hassle of fighting with the resonator tube.However,the bolts at the bottom of the battery is also a pain,choose the lesser of the two evil. I took out the tray, after that the rest of the install is a breeze.

23109VC 09-04-2014 11:51 PM

but does it REALLY make any power??? or just suck $600 out of your wallet...

KarKraze 09-05-2014 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by 23109VC (Post 15148204)
but does it REALLY make any power??? or just suck $600 out of your wallet...

The car responds better through the rpm range,especially through VTEC. It is not the only mod i have on the car but i felt a difference after installation.

Justification of the cost depends on the individual,the IceBox would be the intake to purchase if you really wanted an intake,otherwise stick with the stock,forget the rest and save your money.