AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   Cel flashing and tcs light code p1740?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/cel-flashing-tcs-light-code-p1740-821627/)

Kayla 06-04-2011 07:58 PM

Cel flashing and tcs light on car is shaking badly and code coming up is p1740. Anyone know what that means? It's an Acura TL, 2000.

01tl4tl 06-04-2011 08:41 PM

without looking up the code--which you can do on google easily
its probably multi cylinder misfire--which a shop will tell you means replace all the ignition coils

but we will tell you the truth about it needing just 1, 50 dollar coil,,easy DIY
How many miles on the car,,
replaced the spark plugs yet with the correct ngk 8 dollar each ones?

my.daily'tl' 06-04-2011 08:45 PM

I had that code come up with a bad coil. That code is a transmission code. The misfire codes are in the p0300 range.

my.daily'tl' 06-04-2011 08:48 PM

Same thing. Cel fladhing and tcs light on. Ran pretty bad at idle and accelerating.

piggylover1985 06-04-2011 09:34 PM

Sounds like the torque converter circuit is having problem.

01tl4tl 06-05-2011 12:21 AM

well, you are the trans guru- so I bow to your knowledge

Suggest they proceed to a trans shop for another opinion
it could be either at this point

we need mileage and maitenance history to eliminate things
example recent spark plugs of wrong type, and coil was damaged internally during the job,,2 problems which can fake the computor out

codes are clues--not diagnosis in themself!!

piggylover1985 06-05-2011 07:16 AM

Hi there 01tl4tl, how are you doing lately ? Visit a tranny shop for an EDS, cost round 40 bucks and they will let you know if the problem can be fix externally or not.

piggylover1985 06-05-2011 07:34 AM

How bad is the fluid ? Does it look or smell burnt ?

01tl4tl 06-05-2011 09:51 AM

want to explain an EDS to us please?

How am I? see my hidextra light issue!!

Kayla 06-05-2011 04:01 PM

theres 150k miles on it and the spark plugs were changed last year or so..it shakes as soon as i turn the car on and continues as i drive...also im dumb when it comes to cars so please dont use big words that i wont understand lol..transmission was replaced about 4 years ago from the acura dealer due to a recall..

piggylover1985 06-05-2011 04:43 PM

Do you feel power loss ? Like lockup is stuck on ? EDS External Diagnostic Service, so they can tell if the car can be fix externally or they will have to do an internal service in that case the tranny will have to be open up.

closetprisoner 06-06-2011 12:07 PM

You should try to replace the 4th gear oil pressure switch, switch cost about $60 and save on labor and install it yourself, just did mine over the weekend. My car shudder, shake a little at about 20-30 mph, below or beyond that speed it perfectly fine but i change the switch anyway.

01tl4tl 06-06-2011 09:16 PM

the poster said not a car person, diy not likely
so a trip to the transmission shop for inspection should tell what it really needs

could be ignition coils, or if the wrong spark plugs were used- that will cause frustration
after several months
Can you tell us what spark plugs went in--were they about 8 dollars each?

and the trans- maybe not replaced under recall- different issues-recall/failure with heat damage, and court ordered extended warranty for clutch wearout

does the trans have blue paint on the bolt heads???- open the hood and look down at
small things bolted on the trans-- will have blue and the bigger bolts that go thru the trans also blue on the head--very easy to spot
those mean it really is a replacement trans from acura

niju321 06-06-2011 10:11 PM

if you are in park, and hit the gas....does the shaking get a lot worse? if so sounds like coil issue, especially given recent spark plug change. those coils are fragile, one little bump and they may fail months later

Knight hawk Acura 06-26-2011 08:17 AM

Hey Kayla, I had the same problem with my 99 Tl shake when start and while driving cel blinking and tcs light comes on. First I replace spark plugs car ran good for 1 day then same problems again so I started running all kind of test on the car till I finally decided to disconnect each coil and see if the engine was misfiring. Come to find out coil number 6 was bad. Long story short after spending $200 bucks on my car all it took was a $50 coil to fix my problem. Don't know if you fixed it already but to find out which coil is bad. Remove the plastic cover on the engine and you'll see the coils (3 black boxes with a wire connected to it) disconnect the first one if the engine shakes then it's good. Connect it back in and do the same thing to the second one. After the third one on the back of the engine there is three more do the same till you find the one that doesn't not shake the engine when disconnected that is the bad one. Replace it and you should be back to 100%. Now for you transmission heads out there can a solenoid stop working only when it's hot and start working again when cold?

01tl4tl 06-26-2011 11:01 AM

do you mean trans operating temp,, or outside air hot or cold?

Knight hawk Acura 06-26-2011 01:21 PM

Trans operating temp

leftylucky615 03-09-2012 02:19 PM

hey guy, I'm having the same issue my check engine light is flashing every so often and the tcs light is on. I read peoples post trying to come up with a solution, but haven't found one yet. Anyways I have 220,000 miles on the car. I started by replacing the egr valve since it threw a random misfire code. I changed the all 6 spark plugs with the NGK laser double platnum and one coil pack and the car ran better, no more shaking on idle accelerates better. I reseted the car and drove the car, everything seems fine for a couple of day then the cel came3back on and started flashing and the tcs light came on again. Any help would be great.

95CivicNOWa99TL 03-09-2012 04:51 PM

I have the same problem. The car will not restart when hot, without this happening. Usually accompanied by the shiftlock clicking. I am about to go replace the ignition switch. If that does not help, I will try tune up and Coil packs. (203k 1999)

Skirmich 03-09-2012 04:58 PM

That code is Closely related to a Suicide Tranny... Just before my tranny was Done I got that Exact code + Check Engine: 2 days later my tranny was toasted.

In my Understanding once the Clutch pack starts to slip it realeases alot of Debris that Clogs the TQ Converter Solenoid first but thats IMO.

95CivicNOWa99TL 03-09-2012 05:37 PM

Replaced, I will advise if this fixes my issue in the next couple days.

95CivicNOWa99TL 03-12-2012 11:44 AM

Ignititon switch replaced, engine is still stalling out (TCS, ABS, CEL light, etc, etc...). I will clean the EGR port this week, and advise if this fixes it.