AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   Need tire size and speed rating advice for 05 TL (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/need-tire-size-speed-rating-advice-05-tl-800572/)

cg54249 12-06-2010 05:05 PM

Need tire size and speed rating advice for 05 TL

I have a 2005 acura TL and was looking to get new tires and realized that v-rated tires are alot more expensive and have a lower tread warranty than what h-rated tires have. That being said I've done some research and people seem to indicate unless you drive your car like your on a race track h-rated are just fine. So I've been researching H-Rated tires and have had trouble finding them in the size needed (235/45/17). I also did research and people mentioned you can deviate from the suggested size but I'm not really sure by how much. If anyone could clue me in what sizes I could put on my TL and if it really is ok to go with H-Rated tires it would be GREATLY appreciated as I clearly know nothing. Also, if anyone could suggest a good tire for under $100/per that has 50k+ tread warranty that would be helpful as well as I plan on getting these in the next week or so!

nfnsquared 12-06-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cg54249 (Post 12541601)
I have a 2005 acura TL and was looking to get new tires and realized that v-rated tires are alot more expensive and have a lower tread warranty than what h-rated tires have. That being said I've done some research and people seem to indicate unless you drive your car like your on a race track h-rated are just fine. So I've been researching H-Rated tires and have had trouble finding them in the size needed (235/45/17). I also did research and people mentioned you can deviate from the suggested size but I'm not really sure by how much. If anyone could clue me in what sizes I could put on my TL and if it really is ok to go with H-Rated tires it would be GREATLY appreciated as I clearly know nothing. Also, if anyone could suggest a good tire for under $100/per that has 50k+ tread warranty that would be helpful as well as I plan on getting these in the next week or so!

It ain't gonna happen for under $100...And I'd start by saying I don't recommend you downgrade to an "H" tire.

Where do you live? Do you need an all season tire? Go to tirerack.com and do a tire search by OEM size (235/45/17). There are a few under $100, but none with a 50K warranty. For a little over $100, you can get a quality tire with meets OEM specs....

cg54249 12-06-2010 06:40 PM

I live in Charlotte, NC so I'm not concerned about snow. Nice weather except for the occasional heavy rains. Why do you say you wouldn't recommend going down to H-Rating? Is it something to do with handling or how they work with the car?

Turbonut 12-06-2010 09:37 PM

H is fine if you're not going to be cruising over 130 MPH. Michelin Exalto H rated, a great tire, but they aren't available for under $100. The load rating of 94 is higher than the OE 93, just not the speed rating.
Just do some reasearch on the various brands.