AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Windshield washer fluid (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/windshield-washer-fluid-802586/)

pyckuu23 12-27-2010 05:28 PM

Windshield washer fluid

my windshield washer fluid stopped working, wipers go on, but no fluid comes out. Do you think this is a pump problem? Suggestions to what i should look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Noober 12-27-2010 05:32 PM

fill it up.

apnorm 12-27-2010 05:42 PM

you should be able to hear the pump going...if not, check your fuse first and hope it's a quick fix.

If the pump is working and you have fluid in your reservoir, it could be that there's some ice blocking the sprayer.

pyckuu23 12-27-2010 05:42 PM

forgot to mention it is water is filled up

pyckuu23 12-27-2010 05:44 PM

@apnorm good call i will check the fuse. I don't recall hearing the pump going ... I will let you know tomorrow. thx

nfnsquared 12-27-2010 06:00 PM

Is the green light in your mirror out? If so, it's the fuse...#20. Replace with 10A.

TKO1 12-27-2010 06:04 PM

Water? That might be your problem if you live someplace cold.

pyckuu23 12-27-2010 06:55 PM

TKO1 - sorry its windshield washer fluid rated for -20F

pyckuu23 12-27-2010 06:56 PM

nfnsquared - i will check it out thanks for the info

pyckuu23 12-29-2010 10:29 AM

thanks for your help guys, it was fuse #20 (7.5 amp)

nfnsquared 12-29-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pyckuu23 (Post 12593140)
thanks for your help guys, it was fuse #20 (7.5 amp)

You bet...Replace it with a 10A fuse...

And keep a spare fuse or two handy in case it happens again. The fluid froze in the lines for some reason and the pump over amps the circuit when it can't pump fluid...

04WDPSeDaN 12-29-2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by pyckuu23 (Post 12589624)

If you put water in there AND IT'S WINTER outside... that's the wrong move.

Water freezes.. Washer fluid doesn't

Water freezes and jams up the washer motor.

Which blows the fuse...

Put good known washer fluid in, check fuse and proceed to see if washer works. If not and the fuse is good, then remove your bumper and replace the washer located on the right front under the head head assembly.

nfnsquared 12-29-2010 09:48 PM

^^^post #8

tj19855 03-30-2011 11:29 AM

Wiper fluid not working all of the sudden

Mine stopped working yesterday, I can hear the pump and wipers come on but no fluid comes out, I filled it up today and still nothing.

VQPower37 03-30-2011 12:41 PM

is there a large piece of ice at the bottom of ur reservoir? that could be the problem ... even if u filled it, none of that fluid will be able to get to the pump that it needs to get to in order to be sprayed on ur windshield

tj19855 04-01-2011 02:06 PM

No weather here is 80F, I figured out what the problem was, on the 3rd gen TLs if you take all the plastic covers off the engine on the passenger side, the windshield wiper fluid rubber tube runs near the wiper fluid reservoir up to the windshield next to the fender. The tube was detached so I just put it back on. Now it works again :thumbsup:

nist7 10-12-2016 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by tj19855 (Post 12832859)
No weather here is 80F, I figured out what the problem was, on the 3rd gen TLs if you take all the plastic covers off the engine on the passenger side, the windshield wiper fluid rubber tube runs near the wiper fluid reservoir up to the windshield next to the fender. The tube was detached so I just put it back on. Now it works again :thumbsup:

An update on this since I just had to do this myself. After I got a new windshield replaced there was no washer fluid out of nozzle but the pump was working fine and I see washer fluid being splashed all around the passenger wheel well area. And as the above poster mentioned there is a washer tube connection around that area that can be dislodge and needs to be plugged back in.

Difficult to find a pic but in the following diagram it is the connection I marked in red circle:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d935b6d8f5.png

Remove the the plastic covers off of the back of the engine bay and also the black plastic piece running along the top of the fender on the passenger side(if you're looking towards the cabin of the car) side since the washer reservoir and tubing runs up that inner fender on passenger side.
This is NOT my pic but found a photo of a TL engine bay that has all plastic covers removed. I couldn't take a pic with my car due to I did this in evening but red circle is where you should see a black washer tubing, which may be disconnected. You'll also see a little rectangular-like shaped hole that you can poke through and peak into the inner fender area:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1991b8c896.jpg

Next you need to access the passenger inner fender well. Now there's a youtube video of this but he takes off the wheel. I did this WITHOUT taking off the wheel. Simple turn your steering wheel to full lock to the right, thereby exposing some space so you can access the screws/clips holding the back side of the passenger inner fender.

If you have skinny hands/fingers/forearms this can be done (albeit tight). Otherwise if you have time/access you can remove passenger wheel for easier access.

Remove the "B" screw clips.
Remove the two lower "I" clips (aka the dreaded bitch clips, I broke both so....). One is nearest to the 4 screws, the other is the next one higher up than that.
Pry off the inner fender covering (it's tucked in behind the body) from bottom to the top to expose area hidden behind.

This is tricky and impossible to get any useful image but here you look around and you should see a black tubing with a plastic connector hanging/dangling off...mine was in this state hence the washer fluid coming all down the fender area.

Basically you'll need to use your hands, grab the tubing with one hand and feed it up towards the red circle I marked at the above image through that rectangular like space and trying to get it into the engine bay and connect with the upper washer tube. There isn't a grommet or anything, although the tubing does rest on a slightly rolled metal edge (looks like a narrow metal shelf, and not a hard/sharp metal edge). You can use some duct tape for further security/padding of that area.

Hope this helps.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9535e8716d.png

edit: If you need to access the actual washer reservoir and there is another connection to the actual tank, then you'll need to remove the wheel and pull off the entire fender to expose the washer tank/reservoir/pump area.