AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   what to expect after transmission has been rebuilt? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/what-expect-after-transmission-has-been-rebuilt-888098/)

j_are 05-21-2013 06:21 PM

what to expect after transmission has been rebuilt?

I have a 2002 TL with about 109000 miles. For as long as ive been driving this car ive had problems with the transmission and decided to get it rebuilt. I get my car back tommorow and dont know what to expect.

Seabright 05-21-2013 07:30 PM

On my rebuild, the new tranny shifted a bit hard at first. But that smoothed out after a week.

3.2TLc 05-22-2013 07:26 AM

Hey J_are, ....welcome to the problematic TL tranny's.

Too bad you were unable to research your options prior to rebuilding the existing tranny. Many owners have found a much better replacement for the old poorly engineered original TL tranny. That would be locating a used '06>'07 Accord V-6 AT. Usually this is more durable and cost effective than a rebuild.

How much did ya pay and how long is the warranty ? Did the shop give ya an itemized list of components replaced ? Was genuine Honda DW1 ATF used after the rebuild ?

victus1 05-22-2013 08:13 AM

If they didn't put Honda DW1 fluid in the rebuilt tranny, you will have serious problems....typically the day after their warranty expires (Murphy's Law). You can always do a 3x3 drain & fill yourself and change the external filter (I seriously doubt they even bothered to change it) to extend the life of your tranny as much as possible.

Yikes 05-22-2013 09:53 PM

Because it is a bad design, it is possible that it might fail again. It depends on what kind if shop you took it to.

Some shops are aware of the causes of the torque converter problem and know how to fix it so it won't fail in the future. It is a roll of the dice. I would talk to them and ask them what they've done to ensure it won't fail again. (Keep in mind these transmissions can fail in more ways than one.) Also find out if they offer any type of warranty with their work.

Owning a 2000 TL with high miles, I've tried to learn as much about this problem as possible. I'm not an expert by any means, but as suggested, the easiest thing you could probably have done was put an Accord transmission and torque converter from '06/'07. However, because you went with a rebuild, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Best of luck. :)

Southern 05-23-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by j_are (Post 14492079)
I have a 2002 TL with about 109000 miles. For as long as ive been driving this car ive had problems with the transmission and decided to get it rebuilt. I get my car back tommorow and dont know what to expect.

You can expect to have it rebuilt in another 60K miles or so.

Skirmich 05-23-2013 06:00 PM

How much did you Paid? And I agree with the Others, The Accord V6 Trans was the way to go..

I have almost 90K on my 1300 bucks Rebuild..

Luke7 05-24-2013 02:40 PM

I have a TL S 2003 146K. Tranny (original works fine)