AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Car makes a squeaking noise when turning the wheel (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/car-makes-squeaking-noise-when-turning-wheel-548429/)

sc354 04-13-2004 10:11 PM

Car makes a squeaking noise when turning the wheel

Hey guys,

I noticed this last night, and I will be taking the car to the dealer in the next 48-72 hours. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue on their TL also..

I'm experiencing a rather high pitched (e e e e e e e e) noise when I turn my wheels from side to side while not in motion. It can't be my tires because this occurs on different roads (concrete, ashphalt, interlocking (my driveway)) and so on. To figure out the noise I'm hearing, simply say the letter "E" over and over again...

This is when the car is not moving, and it seems to be there also when the car is in motion, yet it is less apparent due to road noise and other things on the road. I'm wondering if you guys know what could be causing this.

Please keep in mind that this can be heard from the outside of the vehicle, so it can't be the steering wheel rubbing against the steering column, cause I have that problem too!!!

`ill*tl 04-13-2004 10:16 PM

Could you be more specific on where you hear this squeak from? If its coming from the suspension area..it might be your bushings.

sc354 04-13-2004 10:18 PM

the sound seems to be coming from the driver side, and it's more evident...but who knows, I might be hearing it more from the driver's side since I'm sitting on that side all the time...

It is coming from inside the front driver wheel well, so it is either related to the steering or suspension...

njtls 04-13-2004 11:00 PM

do you turn the wheels alot when your not moving?...or turn all the way to lock frequently?....a high pitch sound when turning can be associated with the sterring pump...but that ussually doesnt go too early unless its been abused...how many miles?....im sure with low miles it could be written off as defective even if its been abussed...

vipvop 04-14-2004 12:06 AM

I had a sound like that (well mine sounded pretty bad, harsher than yours does from the sound of it) and the problem had to do with a bad bearing in my wheel (or something connected to my wheel, I can't remember what it was exactly).

stiletto 04-14-2004 11:32 AM

Stearing fluid a little low...?

sc354 04-14-2004 12:01 PM

See this is the interesting part. i noticed a few days ago that I had a leak coming from some car that is in my driveway. I don't know if it's my a-spec, or if it is coming from another car. I would assume it's from me since I park there all the time. The first thing that came to my mind when I heard the noise was it is related to the leak I have. Anyhow, I'm going to the dealer on friday to have the whole thing checked out.

Later guyz.

fsttyms1 04-14-2004 12:30 PM

i doubt its your power steering making the noise most noises associated with power steering happen only when the wheel is turned as far as it goes. more likely a bushing or bearing

stiletto 04-16-2004 04:33 PM

I'll lay a jackson that the problem is with the power stearing fluid... Specially after you mention the leak.

fog80 01-12-2012 04:55 PM

I am having the same exact problem on my 02 tls. As soon as the cold weather kicked in, the squeeking sound started happening when i turn left or right. I check the ps fluid and the level is fine.

What else could it be?

sammy95 01-13-2012 02:14 AM

Another thread was talking about an oring that goes bad internal to the p/s pump, replace that.
What's happening is the seal does not seal, allowing air to be introduced into the system causing noise.
Forum search is your friend.

fog80 01-13-2012 10:35 AM

In that thread, it said that when the car is turned off the extra air in the ps fluid causes it to overflow. That is not happening here.

ps. Forum search has been my friend since '04. Check the record.

sammy95 01-17-2012 01:04 PM

How is the level now? Has it leaked in four days?

smartypants 01-18-2012 12:36 PM

Get someone to turn on the car and turn the wheel for side to side about a couple of inches each way. If you hear squeaks, its probably a lower ball joint. Just listen on each side and you'll find out which one.

Also, you don't have to buy the whole knuckle anymore. Honda has the ball joints now listed separately. Lower is 06523-S84-405 ~$18.00

Good luck.

cdn_rider 01-18-2012 01:06 PM

i havent been to this site in a while and both of my problems that i was looking for were both on the top of the thread list, this being on of them. thanks guys!

fog80 01-23-2012 02:30 PM

if its ball joints, would the sound go away on its own?

my sound seems to have gone away and the steering feels much looser and more fluid.

MaggaMan 02-16-2014 04:09 PM

this was helpful thanks all!

3.2TLc 02-16-2014 04:39 PM

Hey MaggaMan, what was the problem.....bad ball joint, wheel bearing or PS pump ? This will help others with a similar issue.

MaggaMan 02-19-2014 08:06 AM

@3.2TLC my issue is the PS. I was reading and found this info helpful. how ever i may be back to square one. we'll see im gonna try this o-ring fix i read in another thread. however IDK if this o-ring will work in my 2nd gen its for a 3rd gen. does anyone know? Or for that matter does anyone know if the PS on the 2nd gen has the same issue as the 3rd gen?

MaggaMan 02-21-2014 03:14 PM

My bad all I got confused this thread for a different one. However I'm still having that really high pitched e-e-e-e-e-e-e noise coming from whenever I turn the wheel.

CLrogers 03-01-2014 06:50 PM

I have a 2001 cls and I live in alberta canadabwhen the wether geta really cold kike today my car does the same thibg your mentioning here. Its almost like a high pitched chirp and I only here it when I turn the wheel left or right and I start to accelerate. Any ideas??

3.2TLc 03-02-2014 07:10 AM

Could be the tensioner for the belt or a worn pulley bearing.