AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   Why are BMW drivers jerks? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/why-bmw-drivers-jerks-657503/)

Mokos23 04-14-2005 10:44 PM

Why are BMW drivers jerks?

I've been driving on the highway the last few days and I've observed 3 times a guy or lady in a BMW (3 or 5 series) is swerving around traffic and tailgating other cars.
I don't know why BMW drivers think they're all arrogant.

stogie1020 04-15-2005 12:23 AM

Lots of Jetta drivers were like that when they first came out with the ?last? body style. Give them a chance to cause a few fender benders, then the driving behavior will change as the insurance rates go up....

sleeper 04-15-2005 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I've been driving on the highway the last few days and I've observed 3 times a guy or lady in a BMW (3 or 5 series) is swerving around traffic and tailgating other cars.

:werd: everytime someone cuts us off or acts like an ass, more often than not, my response is: "no wonder, bimmer/benz driver."

still spreadin' the hate....:devilgrin:

JKV808TSX 04-15-2005 05:27 AM

... cause they think their the shit. I say fawk'um..

BLaCk Acc 04-15-2005 07:13 AM

Forget that, wat about the fake ass ones, the ones that have like 318s or something and have an M3 badge?? WTF is up that , who r they trying to fool? I saw like 3 fake ass m3s in the past 4days! Someone needs to rip those badges off or I will, or ill just put a sticker infront of the m3 badge that says FAKE lol

sauceman 04-15-2005 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Lots of Jetta drivers were like that when they first came out with the ?last? body style.

Many of them are still like that. I'd even go so far to say they are maybe worst then BMW drivers.

And I don't think VW's publicity style helps much in the matter either. I particularly don't appreciate the latest one where everyone driving a new Jetta is driving in the left lane. Somehow, it's not very clever, given that this is really a situation.

vitocorleone 04-15-2005 10:17 AM

Well, apparently there's a law that only BMW drivers are informed about that tells them to be complete, arrogant arses on the road (and often off of it). There's a few that don't obey that law, and suffer the consequences from their fellow BMW owners by being ostracized.

I once found a partial fragment of this law, and here are a few of the things I was able to decipher

BMW Drivers
* don't need to use a turn signal
* don't need to obey the speed limit
* don't need to drive within the limits of their headlights at night
* don't need wait for you to move out of the way before going somewhere
* don't need to obey lane lines
* don't need to obey directional arrows in parking lots
* are entitled to park anywhere they want, even if you are about to park there

My favorite personal BMW story of late is how my wife and I were in our TSX in the Pacific Place garage downtown Seattle looking for parking in one of the far side lanes that happen to be 2-way and 2-narrow. We're 3/4 of the way down when this new Pontiac, er, BMW 5 rips around the corner with the engine gunning and starts to speed toward us head on and has to hit the brakes. Since we were almost at the end of the row, any normal driver would've immediately backed up the 15' necessary for us to squeeze by. Instead, we sat there for about 30 seconds because apparently I was supposed to drive in reverse the length of the entire row rather than trouble a BMW driver. Eventually, the guy threw it in reverse, gunned the engine and jerked to a stop with the brakes - while I slowly let off the gas and let the AT transmission carry us forward and around the corner past him... laughing.

bz268 04-15-2005 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

I was driving in a 4-lane freeway. There was an accident on the fast lane. The stupid asshole !stopped! his/her BMW in the middle of the freeway to watch what was going on. All the cars behind him/her were driving 70+ miles per hour.

CGTSX2004 04-15-2005 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
My favorite personal BMW story of late is how my wife and I were in our TSX in the Pacific Place garage downtown Seattle looking for parking in one of the far side lanes that happen to be 2-way and 2-narrow. We're 3/4 of the way down when this new Pontiac, er, BMW 5 rips around the corner with the engine gunning and starts to speed toward us head on and has to hit the brakes. Since we were almost at the end of the row, any normal driver would've immediately backed up the 15' necessary for us to squeeze by. Instead, we sat there for about 30 seconds because apparently I was supposed to drive in reverse the length of the entire row rather than trouble a BMW driver. Eventually, the guy threw it in reverse, gunned the engine and jerked to a stop with the brakes - while I slowly let off the gas and let the AT transmission carry us forward and around the corner past him... laughing.

I love it when the BMW and Benz drivers who think they own the universe are forced into being laughed at. :chuckle:

Actually, a pretty good story here too...

On a weekend many months ago, I went with my mom to help her with the groceries. We're finishing up and I hop in the car and start it up. There a car already waiting for us to pull out of the spot when this lady driving a MB ML-class drives up and puts on her turn signal as though she's getting ready to move into the spot.

I notice this and make sure that when I pull out, I block her from moving forward into the spot. However, this also traps me between the car waiting to pull in and the MB. So I nudge forward just enough to allow the person who was patiently waiting for the spot to pull into the spot. Now the lady in the MB is just fuming, but refuses to back up so that I can move.

I shit there and :shrug: until she finally gives up and backs up, allowing me to pull out and out of the way of traffic.

Gotta love it when someone thinks that just because they drive an MB, they are entitled to a parking spot over someone who had been waiting there the whole time while I loaded groceries.

CGTSX2004 04-15-2005 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bz268
I was driving in a 4-lane freeway. There was an accident on the fast lane. The stupid asshole !stopped! his/her BMW in the middle of the freeway to watch what was going on. All the cars behind him/her were driving 70+ miles per hour.

I'm surprised someone didn't plow into the back of this idiot's car. They're lucky nothing serious happened, otherwise they'd be screwed.

Beoshingus 04-15-2005 12:36 PM

Maybe the question should be: why do jerks buy BMWs?

TSX.Fury 04-15-2005 12:46 PM

hmmmm it is a rather "the chicken and the egg" question. do jerks buy BMWs or do BMW's make people jerks?

I'm gonna argee with Beoshingus and say jerks buy BMWs... :D

05_TSX_GP 04-15-2005 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beoshingus

I ask the same question... and frankly never found the answer.

One thing that confuses me most is that during the 2 years or so that I had my nicely equipped 325i, my driving style did NOT change... I did NOT become an asshole driver. I was still just doing spirited driving on my own when there's clear road around me... When I first got the BMW, I was somewhat preparing a mentality change and that I would join the jerks-driving-BMWs club, but that never materialized. Should I be sad about it?!

I'll take it as I am a special case. I an NOT a jerk, yet I bought a BMW and sold it. And that BMW couldn't turn me into a jerk. :D

Nonetheless, now I am happier than ever with my TSX. A proud Asian dude (though not Japanese, would be cool if I were one, heehee) crusing around North America in a fine Asian-built, Euro-inspired car :racing:

termigni 04-15-2005 01:25 PM

ahaha i thought i was the only one who felt this way. i think the driving dynamics in those cars make the drivers drive like that. they got good suspension, good road feel, TCS, computer driving aids, and all these features that makes confidence level go up. they are pretty easy to drive fast.

when i'm on my bike, i burn the hell out of them so they know their cars are not the fastest things on the road, especially those M ones.

JPL530i 04-15-2005 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beoshingus

i don't agree with that statment. yes, there are jerks driving beermers and benzes, but not all.

we have a beemer and we drive no difference than others. every now and then, there a car that want to race me when i drive to boston. ignore them and am all set :thumbsup:

:D jpl

Pure Adrenaline 04-15-2005 02:06 PM

A lot of BMW drivers think they are God's gift to the automotive society.

Too bad they don't know how to drive. :rofl:

Alin10123 04-15-2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
I ask the same question... and frankly never found the answer.

One thing that confuses me most is that during the 2 years or so that I had my nicely equipped 325i, my driving style did NOT change... I did NOT become an asshole driver. I was still just doing spirited driving on my own when there's clear road around me... When I first got the BMW, I was somewhat preparing a mentality change and that I would join the jerks-driving-BMWs club, but that never materialized. Should I be sad about it?!

I'll take it as I am a special case. I an NOT a jerk, yet I bought a BMW and sold it. And that BMW couldn't turn me into a jerk. :D

Nonetheless, now I am happier than ever with my TSX. A proud Asian dude (though not Japanese, would be cool if I were one, heehee) crusing around North America in a fine Asian-built, Euro-inspired car :racing:

Well... one thing yuo've got to understand.
The BMW/Benz cars dont have a huge amount of time out on the open road. Most of the time they are in the service bay or in the shop. So... when they actually get "road time" they go all out.

I'm being serious too. When i had a 540 within the first couple of years the thing was in the shop so many times. Radiator hose (twice), water pump, rear window regulator, gasket, the pixels on the dash were going out, an A/C unit that sometimes would just decide not to respond. I would keep hitting the fan speed control, and no matter if i turned it up or down, sometimes the A/C fan actualyl decides to ignore me.
Not good on a hot summer day and you want full fan speed and it's stuck on low.

So... i was actually pretty free spirited when i got a chance to drive it.

05_TSX_GP 04-15-2005 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Well... one thing yuo've got to understand.
The BMW/Benz cars dont have a huge amount of time out on the open road. Most of the time they are in the service bay or in the shop. So... when they actually get "road time" they go all out.

I'm being serious too. When i had a 540 within the first couple of years the thing was in the shop so many times. Radiator hose (twice), water pump, rear window regulator, gasket, the pixels on the dash were going out, an A/C unit that sometimes would just decide not to respond. I would keep hitting the fan speed control, and no matter if i turned it up or down, sometimes the A/C fan actualyl decides to ignore me.
Not good on a hot summer day and you want full fan speed and it's stuck on low.

So... i was actually pretty free spirited when i got a chance to drive it.

Indeed, I do count my blessings as I sold my BMW before too many little problems started showing up... I had the auto-climate acting up on me though, fan would get stuck at full blast for no reason (even in manual mode!), only way to override it is to shut off the entire heating/cooling system. That was fixed under warranty, and luckily other than that and the radiator control switch recall (mine did fail as I was finishing climbing a freaking hill in the city!), there was no other shop time for my BMW... maybe that's why I didn't need to let it rip so harshly when I drove it.

Another interesting thing to note about BMW/MB drivers... at least quite true mostly with female drivers in my area, is that they are driven at complete snail pace! Exact opposite as the tailgating male BMW/MB drivers in the same area!!!

p.s. when we say BMW/MB drivers are jerks or things like that here, I am sure it's not literally meant as "ALL"... it's just that from observations, a great majority of those said do show the traits (when driving at least).

DEVO 04-15-2005 02:44 PM

what about volvo drivers... i eat them for breakfast every morning. always the cause of every traffic jam. :)

BusyShifter 04-15-2005 03:15 PM

If I ever own a Bimmer, I would make sure to request my sale rep. to throw in a "Not a Jerk Driver" bumper sticker.
:popcorn:

Alin10123 04-15-2005 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Indeed, I do count my blessings as I sold my BMW before too many little problems started showing up... I had the auto-climate acting up on me though, fan would get stuck at full blast for no reason (even in manual mode!), only way to override it is to shut off the entire heating/cooling system. That was fixed under warranty, and luckily other than that and the radiator control switch recall (mine did fail as I was finishing climbing a freaking hill in the city!), there was no other shop time for my BMW... maybe that's why I didn't need to let it rip so harshly when I drove it.

Another interesting thing to note about BMW/MB drivers... at least quite true mostly with female drivers in my area, is that they are driven at complete snail pace! Exact opposite as the tailgating male BMW/MB drivers in the same area!!!

p.s. when we say BMW/MB drivers are jerks or things like that here, I am sure it's not literally meant as "ALL"... it's just that from observations, a great majority of those said do show the traits (when driving at least).

Exactly... so you know what i'm talking about when i say that the climate control fans just stopped responding to the input. When i hit the button, the gauge that tells you the fan speed is active. But the physical fans itself just stay at the same speed their at.
Like i said before... total B-tch when it's the middle of summer and your AC is stuck on the lowest fan speed. lol
I was wearing a coat and tie once, when i got back into the office people were all like... um... did you just take a swim?

05_TSX_GP 04-15-2005 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
I was wearing a coat and tie once, when i got back into the office people were all like... um... did you just take a swim?

:pofl: yeah, a nice swim inside your bimmer!

Originally Posted by DEVO
what about volvo drivers... i eat them for breakfast every morning. always the cause of every traffic jam. :)

Yeah... lady and old man :killer: Volvo drivers too!!!

TinkySD 04-15-2005 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I shit there and :shrug: until she finally gives up and backs up, allowing me to pull out and out of the way of traffic.

Sounds like a messy situation! :rofl:

I think we should ask gilbo why BMW drivers are such asses.... or is he still banned? :rofl:

Anyone else like to let off the gas and downshift when people tailgate you?

Saintor 04-15-2005 04:17 PM

Funny because I felt that it is the other way around.

I try to keep far from other people. But because my car is a new BMW, some stupid kids (young and less young) feel compelled either to tailgate me or to come THIS close in different ways. I can tell you there is a big difference in that aspect, compared with my previous car (non BMW). My boss has the same feeling with his E55 AMG. There is always a kid that recognize the car (and its 469HP) and ready to challenge it with his 108HP Civic.

GIBSON6594 04-15-2005 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Sounds like a messy situation! :rofl:

I think we should ask gilbo why BMW drivers are such asses.... or is he still banned? :rofl:

haha I miss Gilbo

05_TSX_GP 04-15-2005 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TinkySD

I do that :D
but only when the tailgater is NOT some beat-up car or worse... pick-up truck or something even bigger...

oh, if my car wasn't just washed and still clean, I spray windshield washer and given right speed and wind direction, they'll need to wipe their windshield :D

Alin10123 04-15-2005 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Saintor
Funny because I felt that it is the other way around.

I try to keep far from other people. But because my car is a new BMW, some stupid kids (young and less young) feel compelled either to tailgate me or to come THIS close in different ways. I can tell you there is a big difference in that aspect, compared with my previous car (non BMW). My boss has the same feeling with his E55 AMG. There is always a kid that recognize the car (and its 469HP) and ready to challenge it with his 108HP Civic.

With a civic? WTH??? That civic would still be at the stoplight while the E55 is already at the next intersection.
From what i hear, that E55 is FAST! Not just based on the HP #'s.
Reliability is one thing though.

When i had a 540, i was an active member of a BMW board. The BMW's like to make fun of the MB people. Anyways... someone posted a video of a friend who had just bought a brand new AMG E55. As some of you may know it's a supercharged V8. The dude had it less than a week, and there was literally a hole in the engine somewhere. There was a before and after video of it posted and the thing sounded like a lawn mower in the "after" part.. I kid you not. I think it was from too much boost pressure.

Saintor 04-15-2005 07:19 PM

More evidence of what I meant. Posted in the last days....

Originally Posted by BMW Message board
New BMW, other drivers getting aggressive (??).

(665 views) (2125 thread views)

You may know I picked up an 05 330 convertible recently. Since I got it, I have been getting some very aggressive reactions from other drivers. I can handle the ugly faces old men give me (not sure what that stems from, especially because I drive around the speed limit and follow all road rules)...but not the other crazy crap that goes on.

I've driven the car on the road for about 3 days now.
I will spare you all the other crazy crap that are very mild, such as people blocking you from getting into the passing lane (by accelerating with you, all the way up to 90 just to stop you from getting in that lane), or teenagers swerving into the left (incoming traffic) lane, and back into the right lane (continuously for one mile) just to get your attention...lol.

Today I was coming back home, and coming close to the exit. For a few miles before, this silver honda accord was tail gating me at about 80 mph (tail gating definition to me, is I can't see their headlights in my rear view mirror). That's fine to me, even though they shouldn't really be doing that. I get into the right lane to get into the exit lane. I get into the exit lane (about 200-300 feet). Traffic slows to about 10 mph. I look in my rear view mirror, and the honda accord is about 1/4th-1/2 mile away, with nobody in between me (going 10 mph) and him. I watch. He accelerates. He doesn't seem to stop accelerating. Judging from what I was watching, it probalby went over 100 mph pretty quick. Now nothing is wron with this, except it dindi't seem like he was going to stop (of course he would). He came to a screeching halt right behind my car, and then honked at me. I put my hand up in the air, as more of a "wtf are you doing?" and he waved. Here's where the BMW jerk stigma must be forming in me, because I looked in my mirror to get a close look at him, and he appeared to be a man in his late 40s. I immediately thought this guy is having a mid life crisis break down because he's stuck in a honda accord (admittedly a nice car, to me). I don't know what he was thinking, but he scared the [Oops!] out of me.

Imagine sitting in your car not moving, and a car is approaching from far away, accelearting as fast as it can, and it doesn't appear to stop until the last second.

Why do people do things like this? I think I need to get my temporary tags off. I wonder what that honda driver was thinking. I love honda, I personally own a civic - but man, nobody did any of this kind of crazy [Oops!] when I was in my civic.

-ELmO

xizor 04-15-2005 07:39 PM

http://carpundit.typepad.com/photos/...orized/bmw.gif

Saintor 04-15-2005 07:45 PM

Lol!

AlterZgo 04-15-2005 07:49 PM

That's hilarious xizor.

IMO, here in Los Angeles, EVERYONE drives like an asshole. Frankly, I think Acura drivers are every bit as discourteous as BMW drivers. They're all a bunch of wannabe, cut-rate BMW drivers.

stogie1020 04-15-2005 08:27 PM

Hey, in defense of BMW/MB drivers, if I paid THAT much for a car that was as unreliable as those cars are, AND as costly to maintain as those cars are, I would probably be pretty upset while driving, too. Think of how hard you slam the keys on the keyboard when the computer is about to lock up and cost you $200 to fix...

They aren't jerks, it's just ANGST!!

Alin10123 04-15-2005 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Hey, in defense of BMW/MB drivers, if I paid THAT much for a car that was as unreliable as those cars are, AND as costly to maintain as those cars are, I would probably be pretty upset while driving, too. Think of how hard you slam the keys on the keyboard when the computer is about to lock up and cost you $200 to fix...

They aren't jerks, it's just ANGST!!

Guess you're right. Sometimes thing just pissed me off when i had one. Certain things would keep breaking. Like the radiator. It's on a 60,000 mile time bomb. It's not a matter of if it will break. It's when it will break. Along with the radiator. The water pump, and the resevoir will go too at about the same time.

Saintor 04-15-2005 08:34 PM

Who cares in a 39 mo lease with maintenance included? :rolleyes: when I see this kind of obscur comment, it must be some kind of low-life jealousy.

sauceman 04-15-2005 08:42 PM

Who cares in a 39 mo lease with maintenance included? :rolleyes: when I see this kind of obscur comment, it must be some kind of low-life jealousy.

:agree: to some extent with this. I don't remember seeing that many asshole Bimmer drivers. At least not much more by proportions than you'd see with Civics, VWs, and frikkin SUVs.

BusyShifter 04-15-2005 08:43 PM

You do realize you are saying people who actually purchase (instead of leasing) BMW is not smart, right? :rolleyes:

Jim Holloman 04-16-2005 08:10 AM

The last time I had a BMW riding my tail on the Interstate (I was in my Pontiac 6000, not the TSX), I happen to have a full cup of coffee with cream and sugar. The coffee went out the window and all over the BMW. It coated his windshield good. I am sure he was appreciating his windshield washers about along then. And, a complete car wash was certainly in order.

Saintor 04-16-2005 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
You do realize you are saying people who actually purchase (instead of leasing) BMW is not smart, right? :rolleyes:

Your assumption based on nothing, not mine.

vitocorleone 04-16-2005 10:07 AM

It definitely is not every BMW driver. However, I don't often use stereotypes, but sometimes they do exist for a reason, and this is one of those stereotypes that has a lot of anecdotal proof to support it.

Males are definitely worse than females. BMW drivers are definitely worse than MB drivers. Around Seattle, I usually have more problems with crazy modded/wanna-be modded Hondas than MBs - but BMWs still regularlye win the "I'm a big arse" award for driving.

BMW marketing seems to attract younger drivers, whereas MB seems to still attract more of the older crowd. Again, that's what I've observed around here, anyway.

BusyShifter 04-16-2005 09:37 PM

Your assumption based on nothing, not mine.

:wish: I have been waiting for your reply. But I am disappointed of your weak rebuttal. :sad:

Funny, but also expected, how you keep hanging around in this forum. It's all good. Haven't see your write anything about your new wheel. Why don't you post one?