AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/)
-   -   Headlight HID Prob. - Turns on, Flickers, Then Dies. (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/headlight-hid-prob-turns-flickers-then-dies-806000/)

honda_nerd 01-27-2011 03:15 PM

Headlight HID Prob. - Turns on, Flickers, Then Dies.

So I have a problem with my 04 TSX. I recently just replaced the HIDs on my low beams and everything went fine. When I tested the HIDs, the bulbs would turn on and be fine for like 10 seconds, then start to flicker (sometimes one would flicker first then the other or sometimes both start to flicker at the same time), and then would die in less than a minute. It happens to both sides and both would eventually die out. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the setup I have? I bought HID bulbs from hidextra.com. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

xenonhid 01-27-2011 04:47 PM

What happens if you put in the OEM HID bulbs back? If the oem ones work fine, then you can deduce its the aftermarket hid bulbs as the issue.

honda_nerd 01-29-2011 04:42 PM

My oem HIDs went out, that's the only reason I am getting another set. Any other ideas?

PaHonda 01-29-2011 07:07 PM

Are the low and high headlight relays identical relays?

If they are identical, switch them. Then see if the low beam lights stay on and the high beams quit when turned on?

dreloc 02-05-2011 12:48 PM

Some people replace their fuse with a higher amperage when they have this problem with HIDextra kits, i returned the ballasts under warranty and they sent me a new ones promptly. Good customer service but product quality may need improvement a bit

ziboy 02-10-2011 12:17 PM

This problem can be caused by the relay, or the ballast. Changing the fuse won't have effect except if the fuse is burning. (by the way I don't recommand to change the fuse for a bigger one)

Did u buy the same voltage and wattage as oem ?

If your light flicks, it's because it doesn't have enough power to the light.

arahim32 02-12-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ziboy (Post 12699476)
This problem can be caused by the relay, or the ballast. Changing the fuse won't have effect except if the fuse is burning. (by the way I don't recommand to change the fuse for a bigger one)

Did u buy the same voltage and wattage as oem ?

If your light flicks, it's because it doesn't have enough power to the light.

to me it sounds like the ballasts

cassinova73 02-14-2011 06:28 AM

i am having the same problem.. OP did you fix your problem... mine only happens on the driver side.. i have 6000K and they worked great upon until recently. the passenger which has a 6000K doesnt give a problem so i dont believe its the bulb

Chris M 02-15-2011 08:07 PM

New Ballaster and Ignitor

I just took my 04 TSX to the dealership for the fix on the high pressure power steering hose and had them also look at my HID Low Beams because i'm having pretty much the same issue. My passanger side light might come on might not, most of the time my driver side does come on, but if I turn the lights off for 10 sec and then back on, none of them work. After 90.00 to have them test to see if it's the bulbs, they gave me a quote 1,200.00 for two new ballaster's and ignitors, plus 200.00 per bulb, for a total of ~1,600. So when I got home I went to e-bay and found a seller with new ballasters and ignators for 198.00 each, so needless to say i'm going that route and from my readings it fairily easy to take the front bumper off and take out the headlights to get to the ballaster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250772589481

CometVR4 03-09-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by honda_nerd (Post 12664860)
So I have a problem with my 04 TSX. I recently just replaced the HIDs on my low beams and everything went fine. When I tested the HIDs, the bulbs would turn on and be fine for like 10 seconds, then start to flicker (sometimes one would flicker first then the other or sometimes both start to flicker at the same time), and then would die in less than a minute. It happens to both sides and both would eventually die out. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the setup I have? I bought HID bulbs from hidextra.com. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's your problem, I purchased bulbs from there too for my TL. Right away both bulbs started flickering when I switched them on. I quickly put in Morimoto from theretrofitsource.com before it killed my ballast and they worked perfect. I 100% positive it's the bulbs. I think they got a bad batch or something. There are several members on clublexus forums that are having same problem with OEM replacements as well.

dalco2208 03-14-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by honda_nerd (Post 12664860)

Just wondering what you did to fix this. My new HID's are doing the same thing.

BERTSX 04-03-2011 11:42 PM

Hello, anybody remedy this problem. i purchased D2S 6000k bulbs from HIDExtra and i'm having the same issues with the bulbs flickering on both sides within a minute. I've emailed them many times and they keep referring me to there FAQ's on there website. I could understand if i bought a kit from them, but this is just a bulb replacement. I've reinstalled my OEM bulbs and no problems what so ever with flickering. Hopefully they replace my bulbs or refund my money.

PACman 04-12-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chris M (Post 12712432)

Any feedback on how these are? I'm in the same situation, but can't afford to get these parts from the dealer.

Chris M 05-06-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by PACman (Post 12861995)
Any feedback on how these are? I'm in the same situation, but can't afford to get these parts from the dealer.

PACman, i've had these in my car for that past 4+ months and have had no problems.

PACman 05-06-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chris M (Post 12926407)
PACman, i've had these in my car for that past 4+ months and have had no problems.

Thanks!

Quest227 05-22-2011 12:35 PM

I had the same problem, diagnosed by Bosch Service Centre as poor OEM ground...stronger ground was created and she works fine now.....my RHS HID low beam was arcing with the high beam alongside trying to find a stronger earth.

Hope this helps someone :thumbsup: