AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   Resetting TPMS Error Message. (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/resetting-tpms-error-message-707109/)

KB1Spec 01-26-2009 01:58 PM

Resetting TPMS Error Message.

For some reason, just this pass week I encountered a TPMS error message. It shows up every time I start on my car. I checked all 4 tires pressure and everything is ok. I just installed a set of after market wheels and put back the stock TPMS unit on the tires. So my question is since everything are ok. Is there a way I can reset it so the TPMS error message don't show up? I'm after if I take to the dealer and when they hook up to the OBD unit, they will void the warranty. Anyway to go around that? Or do you think the main TPMS module gone bad?

Thanks!

Gabe15 01-26-2009 03:59 PM

I had the same TPMS error message appear once on the way back from a 90 mile highway trip. It went away in less than a mile so it doesnt appear in the MID anymore but I still have the mesasage on my NAV when I hit the INFO button. I too would like to know how to get that removed without taking to the dealer. (BTW Factory wheels)

KB1Spec I think your issue is similar except you see the message in the MID every time?

KB1Spec 01-26-2009 04:07 PM

OK I talked to my friend at Honda and this is what he told me:

Talked to the TPMS guy here... he said if if all 4 tire pressure indicators don't show any PSI, then there is a problem with the TPMS system. He said it can be a bad TPMS sensor or a bad receiver that needs to be replaced.

When there is an error, it stores a DTC code on your control unit. It's easy to pull the code out just by plugging in a HDS system up. With this code, it will tell you exactly which sensor or receiver is faulty. If you want to come here, he said he's willing to check for you since he was curious what is tripping the sensor. Otherwise, your buddy at the dealer should be able to pull the code easily too.

Yes everytime I start up my car, the message "Check TPMS system" shows up. Then I press the arrow key on the steering wheel to get rid of it. But the warning icon still there.

AustinTaper 01-27-2009 05:43 PM

did you use fix-a-flat product on any of the tires? this coats the sensor and causes the error. i learned that the hard way :)

KB1Spec 01-28-2009 01:53 AM

No I didnt use fix a flat product. I just checked all 4 tire pressures and all are ok. I did talked to the tech at Honda and he also mention:

It could be the TPMS sensors on the wheels are bad... or the initiator receivor bad. When you pull the DTC code, it'll tell you exactly which component is bad.

It's possible the TPMS sensor may have been damaged when it got transfered to the aftermarket wheels. But the TPMS guy here said he's heard of one case where the battery on the sensor is dead which would cause the error too. That's why he was kinda interested to see what the problem was...

Originally Posted by AustinTaper (Post 10446413)
did you use fix-a-flat product on any of the tires? this coats the sensor and causes the error. i learned that the hard way :)

rlerman 01-28-2009 06:19 PM

if you aren't under warranty, those sensors are expensive, $100+ a pop

KB1Spec 01-29-2009 12:37 AM

My car is still under warranty with a little over 5700 miles. I'm afraid that the dealer wont take in my car since I have aftermarket wheels. Although, my friend did tell me that one of his tech guy work for Honda willing to check my car for free but need to drive down to the Honda Headquarter. He was interested in seeing why my error message shows up. He said it was very rare and puzzled that all the tire pressure on the MID shows up blank.

Originally Posted by rlerman (Post 10451048)

dwboston 01-29-2009 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by KB1Spec (Post 10453417)
My car is still under warranty with a little over 5700 miles. I'm afraid that the dealer wont take in my car since I have aftermarket wheels. Although, my friend did tell me that one of his tech guy work for Honda willing to check my car for free but need to drive down to the Honda Headquarter. He was interested in seeing why my error message shows up. He said it was very rare and puzzled that all the tire pressure on the MID shows up blank.

Are you sure it's not the wheels? I recall reading here about some wheels that blocked the TPMS signal due to the materials in the wheel itself.

KB1Spec 01-29-2009 12:17 PM

For sure not the wheels because I had the wheels installed in December of last year. The error message just happen to show up 2 weeks ago. I even had my friend's shop check on the pressure. But we didnt take off the wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by dwboston (Post 10454139)
Are you sure it's not the wheels? I recall reading here about some wheels that blocked the TPMS signal due to the materials in the wheel itself.

foam4me 01-29-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by rlerman (Post 10451048)

Actually they can be had for about $40 each on-line.

slawek65 01-29-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by KB1Spec (Post 10453417)

I have aftermarket wheels and my dealer never give me any problems.Just tell him You have problem with TPMS not the wheels and these are Acura OEM sensors, right?

KB1Spec 01-29-2009 06:26 PM

Yes all these are OEM Acura sensor. I will go into the dealer this weekend and have them hook up the DTC and look up the code.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by slawek65 (Post 10456098)
I have aftermarket wheels and my dealer never give me any problems.Just tell him You have problem with TPMS not the wheels and these are Acura OEM sensors, right?

6socio6path6 03-19-2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by KB1Spec (Post 10440942)
For some reason, just this pass week I encountered a TPMS error message. It shows up every time I start on my car. I checked all 4 tires pressure and everything is ok. I just installed a set of after market wheels and put back the stock TPMS unit on the tires. So my question is since everything are ok. Is there a way I can reset it so the TPMS error message don't show up? I'm after if I take to the dealer and when they hook up to the OBD unit, they will void the warranty. Anyway to go around that? Or do you think the main TPMS module gone bad?

Thanks!

if no one has recommended this to you, mate, please note that going forward, to prevent any issues always get new sensors when upgrading from stock. That way, if you keep your stock for winter you already have the sensors. Only need to add new tires. Depending on where you got your wheels, did they offer any recommendations? I recently got some RonJon legacy LG. Awesome bloke, BTW His recommendation, provided with a link, for the perfect sensor, was on point. Are your wheels tailored specifically for our cars? Have you fully resolved this issue?

passat2000 12-19-2017 07:19 AM

Sensor replaced Believe it is receiver

For the folks that have replaced or know where the receiver is located, could you share its location? I have been searching have not found a site that shows where the receiver is located.
Thank you

maska 02-25-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by passat2000 (Post 16150929)
For the folks that have replaced or know where the receiver is located, could you share its location? I have been searching have not found a site that shows where the receiver is located.
Thank you

I know where the rear ones located on 2006 Acura TL.
It is under fender. Remove the rear wheel, unscrew 4 Philips screw covering from part of rear fender. Pull cover up a little (you may need to unscrew 10mm bolt as well) you will see TPMS initiator mounted on wall.

Daniel Chavez 12-07-2018 02:00 PM

Doc

rlx015 12-08-2018 05:32 PM

For the message, to clear it from navigation you need to hold MAP + MENU + CANCEL buttons at the same time until a menu shows up - then go into ECU then XM then you will see Diagnostics option to choose... once in there you will see the error and it will let you delete it.
I do recommend scanning it just so you know what it was... personally, I had that error show up a few weeks ago and it simply went away - it was right after I inflated tires to 40psi all around (cold weather makes them over time loose couple of PSI - so that gives me my usual 37-38. Since then I have not seen it come back ever.