AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G CL (1997-1999) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/)
-   -   putting in freon (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/putting-freon-457689/)

Leon 06-23-2004 09:31 PM

putting in freon

I finally got my new relay for my AC compressor and want to install some freon. when installing freon, the lil cans that you can buy from discount auto parts, do you hold the can upright or upside down when putting it in using the right connector? and how many cans should be enough?

LCARUCA 97 06-23-2004 09:44 PM

Take it to an AC shop and have them do it. If you still have refrigerant in your system, you run the chance of overcharging it which will cause higher than optimal pressures, and you run the chance of blowing seals. Like I said, have a shop recover all the old refrigerant, and weigh the new charge into it. If your car uses R-134A you're looking at a $100 job TOPS. also...if you have a working system, you don't need more oil. Too much oil is bad. Think of your car's engine. It's meant to run on about 4 quarts. If all of the sudden you dump an additional 4 quarts in, your engine won't be happy.

Leon 06-23-2004 09:48 PM

theres no refrigerant in it cause I changed one of the AC lines that got bent during the swap, so right now theres nothing refrigerant in it at all.

Chinisimo 06-23-2004 10:47 PM

i don't think it would matter either way since the gas is being held under pressure. when the pressure is release, the gas will go out.

acura2.3 06-23-2004 10:50 PM

From what i understand, you need to create a vacum so the freon and the oil in the bottle come out. When you turn the bottle upside down all the oil will come out and not the freon. But i could be wrong.

ding069 06-24-2004 12:32 AM

I run an HVAC business so let me clarify this. Old systems can be topped off with refrig, and this can be measured correctly by using pressure gauges. If you are removing refrig from a system, you are supposed to reclaim all the old into a cylindar and have it recycled. You do this by using a reclaiming pump. After the old is removed, you use a vacum pump to remove anything left behind in the lines which prohibits contamination. A scale that weighs the charge is the best most accurate way to recharge a system, but the most expensive.

Stapler 06-24-2004 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Leon
theres no refrigerant in it cause I changed one of the AC lines that got bent during the swap, so right now theres nothing refrigerant in it at all.

Did you seal off the system when this happend, the dryer is verry sensitive to moisture and can be ruined verry easily

gaonkar 06-24-2004 07:31 AM

I would suggest that you get the freon filled by a car shop. They have good tools to do that plus they can vaccume the whole unit for some time (say 10 minutes) that would remove all the moisture and stuff. Plus they could also tell you if your system holds vaccum or not. It cost about $125 for the recharge in some shops I guess.

shravan