AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   Rear Differential Fluid Change ( Never trust Dealer ) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/rear-differential-fluid-change-never-trust-dealer-853789/)

Gsmooth33 04-11-2012 07:01 PM

Rear Differential Fluid Change ( Never trust Dealer )

I bring in my 2012 MDX in for oil change, software update and tire rotation. I get a call from service stating that my Rear Diff fluid looks dirty and I should change. I explain that I believe I got it done last year. He looks it up and states I got it done when the MDX had 14,000 miles and I should change every 15,000 miles, the MDX has 35,000 miles on it now. I was in the middle of a meeting and I said ok do it ($80.00). Then I thought about it...my MID didn't indicate that I needed it, so I looked at my manual and it states if drive in a mountainous region or tow you should do first change at 7500 miles then every 15,000 miles....well I live in FLA FLAT AS CAN BE and I don't tow anything! Well they got me this time but my question is this, the manual does not state if you drive in normal conditions what intervals should change my rear diff fluid??? Sorry for the long story but wanted to vent....dealers are stealers! Thanks :tomato:

NBP04TL4ME 04-11-2012 08:55 PM

Dealer is always looking to make some extra $$. You always have the option of saying no, but they caught you at a week moment.

Majofo 04-12-2012 12:35 AM

:haha:

Diff fluid dirty.. how the fuck would he know that? :rofl: BTW.. I have never seen the rear diff fluid come out much different then when it went in. :2cents:

Fucking stealerships. If this guy called me, I would have laughed by ass off. I think most service writers are failed insurance and shoes salesman.

jbawden 04-12-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gsmooth33 (Post 13695562)
I bring in my 2012 MDX in for oil change, software update and tire rotation. I get a call from service stating that my Rear Diff fluid looks dirty and I should change. I explain that I believe I got it done last year. He looks it up and states I got it done when the MDX had 14,000 miles and I should change every 15,000 miles, the MDX has 35,000 miles on it now. I was in the middle of a meeting and I said ok do it ($80.00). Then I thought about it...my MID didn't indicate that I needed it, so I looked at my manual and it states if drive in a mountainous region or tow you should do first change at 7500 miles then every 15,000 miles....well I live in FLA FLAT AS CAN BE and I don't tow anything! Well they got me this time but my question is this, the manual does not state if you drive in normal conditions what intervals should change my rear diff fluid??? Sorry for the long story but wanted to vent....dealers are stealers! Thanks :tomato:

Just follow the maintenance minder, it will tell you when it needs to be replaced. It's not going to hurt anything that they replaced it, so take a glass half full approach and feel good about the fresh fluid. It's common practice to call and say "we noticed this needs replacing" hoping to catch you off guard and uninformed.

frainc 04-12-2012 01:05 PM

I had my maint. minder come on for a B16 service, which the 6 is the rear diff fluid. I did get it changed as per car, not what the dealer told me. I have 9,600 miles on the car but drive very short trips everyday.

Total cost was $180 with taxes here in NY. Also did the software update for the recall with the auto trans.

Everything seems to be fine now. Of course, they wanted to do more but told them no.

fxcarden 04-12-2012 06:42 PM

A while back, during an oil change, my dealer told me the MID was calling out B16, but then he told me to hold off until the next oil change because in his words " a lot of people were bitching about this coming on so soon".......I had something like 7500 miles then. I got it done at 12K.

Gsmooth33 04-12-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 13696292)
:haha:

Diff fluid dirty.. how the fuck would he know that? :rofl: BTW.. I have never seen the rear diff fluid come out much different then when it went in. :2cents:

Fucking stealerships. If this guy called me, I would have laughed by ass off. I think most service writers are failed insurance and shoes salesman.

Funny! So true....I was in a rush when that jerk off called but lesson learned....can't stand the stealers! Oh well fresh fluid

MASK 04-14-2012 02:03 PM

Sale commisions of dealer non dealer service is what fuels this.
I still have not yet reached my first rear diff service but after reading this ... I will have them retain the oil when my 10 K minder calls for it.
Maybe he put his dirty finger in the plug to determine this.

calcal 04-16-2012 07:47 PM

like someone above said, they cannot check if it is clean or dirty, second, the diff fluid always come out above the same color comparing new even it is 15k miles old ...
last, try change it yourself, it took me 20 min max, and you dont even need to lift your car, it is easily accessible from behind (need to lowered your spare tire) and process only involved unplug a fill and drain plug.

04WDPSeDaN 05-05-2012 07:11 AM

Just to clear up any confusion and misleading information here, but I work for Acura as a certified Technician. The Diff is usually due around 10-15K, all depending on your driving habits and if your towing. The reason it's due so often is because of how the diff is designed. The fluid breaks down quickly and will cause a differential chatter while making sharp to moderate turns and accelerating. A lot of the CRV's have differential chatter and it was due to the fluid breaking down quickly, unlike Acura they don't use SH-AWD Diff's. 2007-2010 (2010 some diff's took new fluid) Use RED Honda ATF, some 2010 and all current 2011+ models use a new fluid called DPSF, it looks like gear oil. DPSF is easier to compare between new and used fluid, the color is off and generally speaking by much. Hope this cleared up any questions.

akash4u 05-05-2012 08:33 AM

I go to Superior Acura at Cincinnati. The guys there are very very sensible and in my opinion dont believe in making a killing. Every once in a while I do get the "we noticed this and that" but following it comes a "here's the recommendation or come stop by and we will show what is going on".

So it all comes down to how much you trust them. If you dont..never take it back again. If you do.. then maintain a long term relationship that pays off symbiotically.

dominik331 05-05-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN (Post 13755284)
Just to clear up any confusion and misleading information here, but I work for Acura as a certified Technician. The Diff is usually due around 10-15K, all depending on your driving habits and if your towing. The reason it's due so often is because of how the diff is designed. The fluid breaks down quickly and will cause a differential chatter while making sharp to moderate turns and accelerating. A lot of the CRV's have differential chatter and it was due to the fluid breaking down quickly, unlike Acura they don't use SH-AWD Diff's. 2007-2010 (2010 some diff's took new fluid) Use RED Honda ATF, some 2010 and all current 2011+ models use a new fluid called DPSF, it looks like gear oil. DPSF is easier to compare between new and used fluid, the color is off and generally speaking by much. Hope this cleared up any questions.

I totally get what you' re saying but the question still remains: did they open the rear diff fill plug to see that it was dirty or did the service guy just made it up?

04WDPSeDaN 05-05-2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dominik331 (Post 13755611)
I totally get what you' re saying but the question still remains: did they open the rear diff fill plug to see that it was dirty or did the service guy just made it up?

Usually no, we don't check the fluid condition unless we hear chatter coming from the diff. I'd tell you to follow the MID screen and wait for the number 6 to come up. Now again general rule of thumb is 10-15k, so it's not uncommon to recommend the diff service every 10-15k even if your vehicle didn't call for it. Doesn't hurt anything by doing it sooner, it will hurt if you keep pushing it off.

Majofo 05-06-2012 09:50 AM

G, how many rear diffs have you had to replace? Must be the worst fucking job ever.

Gsmooth33 05-06-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 13756727)
G, how many rear diffs have you had to replace? Must be the worst fucking job ever.

???????

Majofo 05-06-2012 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gsmooth33 (Post 13757031)
???????

Not you, 04WDP (Gus).

04WDPSeDaN 05-06-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 13757212)
Not you, 04WDP (Gus).

Truth be told, it's a straight forward job really simple. Takes us about 30 mins to do. Ive done a few on the 1st gen MDX's and only 1 newer MDX.

Majofo 05-06-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN (Post 13757364)
Truth be told, it's a straight forward job really simple. Takes us about 30 mins to do. Ive done a few on the 1st gen MDX's and only 1 newer MDX.

Really? A local Master Tech told me it's a bitch to do, said he'd rather replace a trans than the rear diff. How many have you had to do though (frequency)? Like for every 2 MDX trans, you get 1 diff or more like for every 5 trans, you do one diff.

04WDPSeDaN 05-07-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 13757564)
Really? A local Master Tech told me it's a bitch to do, said he'd rather replace a trans than the rear diff. How many have you had to do though (frequency)? Like for every 2 MDX trans, you get 1 diff or more like for every 5 trans, you do one diff.

The shop does way more Transmissions than diffs hands down. They would do about 15 Transmissions before seeing a diff replacement. I doubt your local mechanic would love to replace a trans on the 07-11 MDX body, now that's a bitch to do.

Majofo 05-07-2012 09:47 AM

:eek:

Good to know, not upgrading to the 2G X. :chuckle:

littlenoodleboy 09-03-2012 01:46 PM

what kind of differential do you guys prefer to use on an 04 mdx?

Majofo 09-03-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by littlenoodleboy (Post 14014756)
what kind of differential do you guys prefer to use on an 04 mdx?

It's still recommended to use VTM4 on first gens.. including 1.5 gens. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

gillum 05-08-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN (Post 13755284)

So my issue is my drain plug is seized. I've tried and had local Firestone try to break it loose. Firestone mechanic said he was concerned the aluminum diff would crack and he hesitated to use heat because of the aluminum housing. 2007 has 86,000 and I have not changed fluid since we got the car with 64k miles. I know it needs to be changed but don't want this to become super costly. Diff makes no noise. Any thoughts?

Majofo 05-08-2014 06:04 PM

Shop sounds a bunch of sissies. Definitely don't use heat, that guy is a derp. Definitely don't fuck up the rear diff. It's a bitch to replace and expensive.

Lift the rear, get a long breaker bar, tighten at first, then loosen. It should pop. Some modest pops with a hammer at the end of the breaker bar should help as well, just don't strip the plug (make sure it's secured).

sac2006TL 06-06-2014 10:53 AM

I just follow the MID. first one came up a little early. After that, it's been every second or third maintenance minder that I have to change the differential fluid.

Fireboy 12-01-2016 01:09 PM

Love to DIY....

Due to dealers costly meaitanence I desided to learn how to do it yourself, to my surprise differential Fluid replacement is as easy as engine oil.
Make sure you work safe, watch a few YouTube tutorials and you will be fine plus few bucks in your pocket.
comparing to dealer cost around $90 for differential and $170 for transmission ( in Toronto, Canada) you can do it for fraction of the cost.
Doing myself I know that the job is done properly with OEM parts plus satisfaction....
Good luck.

Fireboy 12-01-2016 01:13 PM

Re: Dealer recommendations...

I agree with you guys, when it comes to dealer you have to watch what they try to sale you.
in my 25 years experience I came accross good and bad dealers.
I learned to always listen but question and recomendation.

Artbuc 12-04-2016 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 15002027)
Shop sounds a bunch of sissies. Definitely don't use heat, that guy is a derp. Definitely don't fuck up the rear diff. It's a bitch to replace and expensive.

Lift the rear, get a long breaker bar, tighten at first, then loosen. It should pop. Some modest pops with a hammer at the end of the breaker bar should help as well, just don't strip the plug (make sure it's secured).

As a Moderator, why don't you clean-up your language?

Majofo 12-04-2016 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Artbuc (Post 15910868)
As a Moderator, why don't you clean-up your language?

Drink your prune juice

Artbuc 12-04-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 15910894)
Drink your prune juice

Ok, I will respond at your maturity level. Your fucking mama wears army boots. Are we connecting yet or do I have to drop down another level?

csmeance 12-04-2016 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artbuc (Post 15910989)
Ok, I will respond at your maturity level. Your fucking mama wears army boots. Are we connecting yet or do I have to drop down another level?

Calm it down buddy, no need for personal insults to other members or their family.

Skirmich 12-05-2016 03:45 AM

That escalated quickly....

Artbuc 12-05-2016 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Skirmich (Post 15911313)
That escalated quickly....

I got an official warning too. Wonder if Mod was asked to stop dropping the f-bomb? Oh well, as Ike Clanton said to Wyatt in Tombstone, "Well, bye."

Majofo 12-05-2016 09:39 AM

fuck no.. :cya: