AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/)
-   -   Clunk Felt/Heard Through Steering Wheel & Column? (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/clunk-felt-heard-through-steering-wheel-column-782478/)

ckiggins 07-05-2010 02:34 PM

Clunk Felt/Heard Through Steering Wheel & Column?

2009 TL non-nav: I have started to notice the following happens sometimes after I have come to hard stop (or harder than a normal stop - say, coming down to the end of a highway exit ramp from highway speeds to a stop):

When I start to accelerate again (like if the light turns green at the bottom of an exit ramp), I will sometimes feel and hear a clunk through the steering wheel and steering column.

Like I said, I have noticed that this is usually only after a stop that you could consider a little hard from highway speeds. Sometimes the steering wheel isn't completely straight when I start to accelerate again and this happens.

(Imagine that at the bottom of an exit ramp you were turning right and were yielding to oncoming traffic - when I start to accelerate to complete the right turn, this would be when I hear and feel the clunk).

Anyone experienced this before?

free598 07-26-2010 08:37 PM

samething is happen to mine im taken it in on wednesday

ckiggins 07-26-2010 09:08 PM

The Acura TechLine told them to loosen all of the bolts in the subframe and rack & pinion system and retorque to factory specs. They found some of the bolts were not in spec.

I have not heard a single peep in weeks since they did that.

free598 08-01-2010 08:50 PM

i took my car to the dealer. 2 guys test grove it,,,the first guy said he didnt feel R here anything the second guy said the same shit...im goin to a different dealer......lol

crxb 08-05-2010 05:12 PM

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B09-050.pdf

thats the link to the TSB

more 4G TSBs are located here

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/check-these-sources-out-if-youre-having-problem-just-want-learn-something-778120/

not sure this is the same issue, but read it and see what you think

wmahmud 10-29-2011 11:34 AM

Anyone recently have this and can update on the fix? I am starting to get a
Random clunk at times...not sure how to consistantly reproduce it for the dealer...

gqchicago 11-09-2011 04:02 PM

Had the same issue on my 09 TL. It spent a week at the dealer, they replaced just about everything from the steering wheel on down before the issue went away. Fortunately it was covered under warranty and they kindly gave me a nice loaner to drive as well.

crxb 12-14-2011 09:01 PM

Mine only does it occasionally - just enough to irritate me that I can't not get it to do it enough to bring it to the dealer yet.

to quote wmahmud above: "not sure how to consistantly reproduce it for the dealer..." any ideas?

gqchicago 12-15-2011 06:21 AM

My dealer sent the repair technician out on a test drive with me, we purposely looked for bumpy / rough roads, and it did it fortunately, while he was in the car with me.

wmahmud 12-17-2011 10:00 AM

I am going in Tuesday for my clunking - will post an update after, mine is pretty obvious - either break hard and then accelerate, or even take a turn kind of hard and you feel it clunk

gqchicago 12-18-2011 09:02 AM

That's exactly what mine was like. They still had a hard time figuring out what it was though, replaced most of the components in the steering column before it was fixed.

crxb 12-28-2011 09:39 AM

My car did it 3 times (right turns after a stop). On the way to the dealer

On the drive with the service dealer - nothing on right turns. - but I did feel a clunk/pop in the steering wheel twice while starting to move forward in a straight line from a light

But no sound for the service advisor to hear

Left the car - as it seems to maybe do it more so after it has sat for a few hours

wmahmud 12-31-2011 12:20 PM

mine does the exact same thing as yours ^

but when i went to the dealer last week it stopped, couldnt reproduce it, was so odd

any updates by anyone would be helpful

crxb 01-01-2012 09:58 AM

Left the car for 4 days after I drove it with the service writer

They were not able to reproduce the sound

But at least the issue is noted on the repair order

conanrx 01-09-2012 09:12 PM

I took mine in twice for this same issue. The dealer never heard the clunking noise but they did replace the steering column under warranty. I have not heard it since the steering column was replaced.

crxb 01-12-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by conanrx (Post 13470098)
I took mine in twice for this same issue. The dealer never heard the clunking noise but they did replace the steering column under warranty. I have not heard it since the steering column was replaced.

I can't believe they replaced it for you - with out hearing the noise.

my dealer had the car for a few days - said they never heard it
(yet on the way to the dealer it made the noise 3 times)

- I at least have it on record ...

just bugs me - does it for me (almost everyday) yet not for them
(even went on a drive w/ the service writer - It didn't make the sound - but I felt the "pop" in the steering wheel)

conanrx 01-15-2012 01:40 PM

It's been two weeks with the new steering column and I have not heard the clunking noise. I took a printout of the threads to the dealer and I think that it helped to show them that others were having the same issue. 2009 TL Base Model. I just hit 50,000 miles on it.

jrob8604 01-19-2012 04:43 PM

I started noticing this problem today, seems to happen under aggressive stop and go driving. I can feel it in the steering column the clunk/pop.

If it persists I will take it to the dealer. car is no longer under warranty though

wmahmud 02-21-2012 03:36 PM

Haven't had the issue since my last service, not sure how it stopped, or what happened

8000KM left on warranty, but seems like more and more people are getting this issue - hopefully a service bulletin to fix this soon!!!

scottmandoo 05-16-2012 02:24 PM

Same pop/clunk here, 2009 TL Tech

Hi, all. I just picked up a 2009 CPO TL w/ Tech last month, and am having this same issue. I've got about 59,000 miles, so seems like this issue may be emerging post-50K miles. Hopefully it will be escalated to TSB or recall.

I'm searching for a way to reliably duplicate the sound/feel before going to the dealer with it. I've already been a bit of a pain to them getting things fixed up under the CPO warranty, so I want to make sure I'm not wasting their time or mine when I take it in.

For me, it generally happens after going over large bumps (speed bumps), RR tracks, sharp inclines, etc. After encountering one of those, the next time I accelerate (or sometimes brake), I get a thump/clunk/pop in the steering wheel and column, which can be both felt and heard. It doesn't happen every time, but I have found that certain places I drive will trigger it more often.

Sometimes it is accompanied by a metallic ping, as well. Steering wheel position doesn't seem to matter much, as it happens going straight also. If anything, it's a little quieter if it happens when I'm turning the wheel. It feels as if something is sliding or popping back into place.

I love the car, though, and have had no shortage of compliments on it. I'll probably post a pic once I'm no longer in my "trial" period. I look forward to being part of the TL community!

wmahmud 05-19-2012 10:51 AM

Just to update your all (I am in Toronto, Canada) but my clunking did come back and now was happening anytime your break and accellerate so I was able to get a tech to drive with me and feel it no problems.

They replaced the steering column as per my work order and it also says "replaced steering column as per bulletin" so I guess there is something out by Acura on this? (does not mention the bulletin number or anything)

As for what parts were replaced;

Column Assy Strg
Bolt 6x23 Hex Lob
Set Column Holder

Anyways - what I got now is when I jerk the steering wheel from centre just left and right, a rattle as if something is loose, and the steering wheel at the top has a play that lets you easily jerk it left and right (while it rattles)

Spoke to the Service Manager - says its probably the air bag clip or something that sits under the wheel probably wasn't set back properly, it will be looked at and fixed.

But yes the clunking is gone !!!

VRCD_NY 05-23-2012 01:22 PM

I have 44k miles on my 09 and i am having this same issue im going to take it in to get checked hopefully it gets resolved bc its annoying.

paperboy42190 07-11-2013 04:33 AM

my car sounds like it has this exact same issue, but i cant find another 3g that seems to have the same symptoms...