AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   New whining/whirling noise when starting/idling the car (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/new-whining-whirling-noise-when-starting-idling-car-833713/)

gte401e 09-23-2011 06:40 PM

New whining/whirling noise when starting/idling the car

Today I noticed after getting an alignment at the local Firestone that there is a weird "whining/whirling" noise when I start the car and when it idles. The noise is there every time I start the car. Very consistent. I did have all my belts changed couple months ago at a local Acura dealership. It is not the power steering pump sound either. I know alot of people have dealt with the mysterious belt noise but if it was the belt, wouldn't the noise happen right away not months later? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Turbonut 09-23-2011 07:22 PM

If the sound is all the time as you stated, remove the serpentine belt and start the car and see if the noise disappears. If it does, check out the idler pulley as well as others, and also check the belt.

CGCINC 09-25-2011 05:00 PM

Is it coming from the transmission?
I had an 03 TL that had a whining that you could hear in the transmission area... never had a problem but I sold it a few months later.

rockstar143 09-25-2011 05:51 PM

Turbonut knows his sht. Does it go away eventually or stay even after warm? If so, it may be your tensioner pulley or idler pulley. I ended up changing the whole tensioner assembly which replaces both. My car sounded like it had a supercharger on it...so annoying.

lilsid112 09-29-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut (Post 13254365)
If the sound is all the time as you stated, remove the serpentine belt and start the car and see if the noise disappears. If it does, check out the idler pulley as well as others, and also check the belt.

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 13256937)
Turbonut knows his sht. Does it go away eventually or stay even after warm? If so, it may be your tensioner pulley or idler pulley. I ended up changing the whole tensioner assembly which replaces both. My car sounded like it had a supercharger on it...so annoying.

Both of these guys are correct. I had a similar issue with my car when it was idling and around 2200 rpm. Turned out it was the tensioner pulley causing the noise. I would also replace the belt since it needs to come off anyway.

blkmz3 10-02-2011 07:40 PM

i just had my timing belt replaced at the dealer this weekend. they put on a new drive belt too. This morning it started whining. they must have put it on tight or something. usually belt stretches after install. it didn't do it before. after driving for 10 min it goes away.

rockstar143 10-03-2011 07:57 AM

Actually, this car has an auto tensioner...I would venture to guess they didn't replace it and maybe it is not putting the correct amount of tension on the belt until it heats up. That assembly is about $160 IIRC...should solve the problem.

gte401e 10-12-2011 06:31 PM

update

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Right after I posted the original post, the noise mysteriously went away. Maybe it was because I yelled at my car.....

Anyways, the noise came back today. Sounded like a whirling/buzzing noise. The noise increased/higher pitched as you accelerated. When you slow down, its steady. Is it something I can take back to Acura since they did my belts?

Thanks

rockstar143 10-12-2011 07:03 PM

I would...but make sure it's making the noise and tell them that it's been doing it since they did the belt install...at the very least they'll diagnose for you for free.