My Build Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Hoonigan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Build Progress

Moving from Connecticut to Florida proved one thing to me - there is a such thing as flat roads. The roads up north are so awful, and actually made me contemplate building my TL, but now that I've got a solid income coming in and I have the proper terrain to own a slammed car...here goes nothing.

I'm going to start with brakes, since my front and rear pads are shot and I don't want to bother turning the rotors at my job. I have the Brembo front calipers and factory rear calipers so I plan on getting a set of EBC rotors and EBC pads for the front and rear. I'll probably replace all hardware and flush the fluid as well.

Right after that I'm planning on either replacing my timing belt/water pump/seals or doing my suspension. My struts are absolutely gone. When I get out of my car my driver side strut actually makes noise. I'm most likely going with D2 SL coilovers, and they come with adjustable sway bar links. I'd also like to replace the factory strut tower bar in the front, and both sway bars. After I get the fenders rolled I think I'm going to get 32mm spacers for the rear wheels and paint the factory wheels until I get the motivation to buy some new ones. I'll probably go with a minor camber adjustment in the front as well.

After that my next step is probably to go with some miscellaneous mods, including a lip kit, a catback exhaust, rain guards, and either Recarros or Brides, I haven't decided yet.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Good luck with the work! looks like u got lots to do, nothing feels better than fixing our cars
The following users liked this post:
Spaceghostdreew (04-23-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Maintenance before anything. Get the car where it needs to be mechanically before you start messing with aftermarket stuff.

As for spacers, most people do 20mm up front and 25mm rear when running stock wheels. Check out vendors HeelToe and Excelerate Performance for available coilovers and catback systems!

Just take your time and don't randomly order parts. Search around here and see what you like, save your pennies, and plan everything out part by part before pulling the trigger on something. Rushing into something is just going to cost you more time and money in the long run.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, doing mods as maintenance. The only thing I personally wouldn't change are the seats; I like the luxurious feel of the interior (even if the leather is somewhat shoddy). I'd rather pay someone to reupholster and pad the seats than get racing buckets.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Hoonigan

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Maintenance before anything. Get the car where it needs to be mechanically before you start messing with aftermarket stuff.

As for spacers, most people do 20mm up front and 25mm rear when running stock wheels. Check out vendors HeelToe and Excelerate Performance for available coilovers and catback systems!

Just take your time and don't randomly order parts. Search around here and see what you like, save your pennies, and plan everything out part by part before pulling the trigger on something. Rushing into something is just going to cost you more time and money in the long run.
I hear you brother, thanks for the input. I work at a dealership so I know getting the cart in good running order is the most important order of business.

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
Sounds like a great plan, doing mods as maintenance. The only thing I personally wouldn't change are the seats; I like the luxurious feel of the interior (even if the leather is somewhat shoddy). I'd rather pay someone to reupholster and pad the seats than get racing buckets.
Ahh man, I agree to disagree. I love the feel of a nice bucket seat. My biggest thing is getting adjustable seats. I want to be able to recline and what-not.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Much luck!
The following users liked this post:
Spaceghostdreew (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 AM
-NoSuchThingAsTooLow-

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you're in for quite the build. I'm in the same boat as you - i bought my TL about a year ago now but it still hasn't seen the road until next year, yet due to mods/money. I have around 6-7,000$ worth of parts waiting to get installed.

Good luck with your build.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Hoonigan

Originally Posted by StanCeD_J32
Sounds like you're in for quite the build. I'm in the same boat as you - i bought my TL about a year ago now but it still hasn't seen the road until next year, yet due to mods/money. I have around 6-7,000$ worth of parts waiting to get installed.

Good luck with your build.

Sounds like you've invested money into some good, quality parts. I too like top of the line parts, none of that eBay nonsense lol. What kind of coils are you sitting on?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... if cool with you... how bout posting pics to share with us the visual start, steps, and conclusion (... help motivate me to get starting on mine)
Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Redwood Original

Received 188 Likes on 172 Posts
32 mm spacers? jesus
Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dreew, usually when you start a Build Thread in the Photo Section, we'd like you to post pictures.

If you want, go ahead and do so. Or, I can move this to the General Section, if you like.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Hoonigan

I will post pictures as the parts come in my friends..
Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Hoonigan

Just ordered EBC Green Stuff pads with Centric rotors all the way around, a Gates timing and serpentine kit, thermostat, some coolant, and a few little things. Feeling good about this.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Looking forward to install pics.