Goodbye, TL...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Goodbye, TL...

The time came to get rid of my TL. I loved the car. It was fun, reliable, and still (I think) one of the better looking cars on the road. It had a great timeless look that I will definitely miss. But at almost 200k miles, I wanted something that I wasn't going to have to fuss with every other month.

I wish I had a picture, but it was a 2005 WDP with Aspec wheels and a few other small mods. (I did not trade in the car with the Aspec wheels on it though... the factory wheels went back on. )

Well, hello, GS 350 AWD F sport. This is definitely helping relieve the sting of getting rid of the TL. Just planning window tint and a dvd hack for now. After some research I might look into a slight drop and wheel spacers... but this is going to stay mostly stock, just like the TL!

Still plan on hanging around the forum a bit - it's a great resource!
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye, TL...-gs350f.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Great car, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Maybe as much as the TL hehehe
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Congrats

Looks like all ex tl owners either buy q50 or Lexus GS

Good choice !
Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Congrats

Good choice !
have you seen the TLX?
The following 5 users liked this post by justnspace:
2012wagon (04-28-2015), Flipster23 (04-29-2015), polobunny (04-28-2015), thoiboi (04-28-2015), Undying Dreams (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered Bunny

Congrats

Good choice !
That would be my choice too!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 04-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
It's a great car, we got one in the family and I had the job searching for a car to replace one we got rid of. It was a close choice between the '13 GS F or a '13 a6, and I personally believed the Lexus was a better fit. Every now and then I drive it and it's enjoyable, feels so light compared to our TLs.

Great replacement for TL and hope you enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
jsonkimz (04-29-2015), justnspace (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
F Sport

Hope you're doing okay in Baltimore there OP! Stay safe and keep the car in the garage!
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
jsonkimz (04-29-2015), justnspace (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
nice upgrade! love it
Old 04-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Desy

I didn't realize the gsf is out yet
Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Man you have a 3 garage house wow. Or is it a townhouse?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sorry to see your TL go.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Can you give us a review of the GSF?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

A gsf and a GS f sport are two different cars separated by $20k
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

There's the GS and then there's the GS F Sport. Pardon me for not typing out the entire thing. I was lazy so I typed GSF. Get it?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

I didn't call you lazy

There is a third model

Gsf

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2...-detroit-2015/
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Yup its basically a 4 door RCF.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

Lexus shouldn't have called the f sports using the letter f

Every body mixes up that the isf, gsf, rcf, are way different machines than the f sports
Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Desy

I didn't realize the gsf is out yet
hehe whoops, meant f-sport. That new GS-F looks to be a beast though. Can't wait for those car reviews to roll out.

And I agree that the F was used somewhat, carelessly. Alot of confusion, as already evident in my previous post :P, luckily you know better
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
F Sport

Hope you're doing okay in Baltimore there OP! Stay safe and keep the car in the garage!
Thanks! I'm about 25 minutes away from all the nonsense so I should be good to go.

Originally Posted by YungMoola15
Man you have a 3 garage house wow. Or is it a townhouse?
I wish! Maybe some day. I'm in a two car garage town house. The truck stays outside.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sorry to see your TL go.
It was definitely hard to let it go. It was a great car and I enjoyed the hell out of it. There aren't many 10 year old cars out there that I would see and think, "wow, that thing looks really good", but the TL was one of them. I wanted to keep it as a "beater" but decided that with 190k miles and some of the issues that I was having with it that it was time to let it go. I would seriously consider getting another low mileage 3G down the road to use as an every day car - I love it that much.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

I didn't call you lazy There is a third model Gsf http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2...-detroit-2015/
Did not know about that model. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ggesq
Can you give us a review of the GSF?
Sure! Not exactly sure what you're looking for so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I had always been a fan of Lexus and even considered an IS350 before I bought my TL back in 2009, but decided that I couldn't beat the value for the Acura. I don't regret my decision - I think it's a better looking car. I also liked how the Acura was slightly more practical than the interior-small second generation IS.

So a couple of years ago when Lexus released the third and fourth generation IS and GS (respectively) I was instantly in love with the F Sport editions. At the time my Acura was still going strong and I wasn't about to pay $50k-60k on a new Lexus (I am vehemently against buying a brand new vehicle). But as time passed and miles and wear and tear started to build up on the TL, the time came.

So on to the GS:

I'm going to make a lot of comparisons to the TL, since it's something we're all familiar with. I know that the TL more directly compares to the IS Lexus line, but I don't have an IS.

Exterior: I know this is almost all personal preference, but I really like the GS350 F Sport exterior styling. Maybe not quite as much as the 3G TL, but I definitely am a big fan. I really like the front end with the spindle grill and the sharp, distinct lines of the lower bumper. I'm also a fan of the LED DRL's, which was something I was always a little bummed that the TL lacked. Similarly, I wish that both my TL and the GS had bumper mounted fogs. Not a deal breaker or something I'm willing to take the time/money to modify, but it's something lacking that I wish the GS had (I believe separate fogs actually DO come on the non-F Sport model... but that wasn't an option). I also really like the rear exhaust ports and the trunk lip. I am a fan of the 19 inch F Sport wheels and, while there are always amazing aftermarket options out there, I don't feel overly compelled to go to aftermarket shoes... especially for my AWD model. From a styling standpoint, as always, I feel like the GS could benefit from some eliminated wheel gap and a slightly wider stance. I may remedy these problems sometime in the future.

Interior: This was the game changer. I am IN. LOVE. with the interior of this car. My particular model has the deep tan "Flaxen" interior which I love; it is a nice change from the standard tan you see in so many vehicles and offers a nice contrast to all black interiors. Still, I feel it contrasts very nicely with the black and silver trim, and I am a big fan that while the seats and other sections are Flaxen, the floor, panels, and many other sections are black. I feel that this will keep the car looking cleaner and newer for a longer period of time. My TL cleaned up very nicely, but over 10 years, dirt and stains are inevitable on a tan interior. I feel that the Flaxen on black will be the best of all worlds.

The dash is very clean and sophisticated. I am often a proponent of the "less is more" philosophy. It was one of the reasons I enjoyed the nav-equipped TL. Well, Lexus hit a home run with this one. It looks fantastic. The eye-grabbing 12.3-inch split-screen display is absolutely incredible, and is certainly the highlight of the interior. The resolution is fantastic. Its multiple-function split-screen means that you can have navigation up while simultaneously changing climate settings, music, or using the phone options. The mouse-like controller is awesome and very intuitive, which is a relief. I always liked the touch-screen capability of the TL and wondered how I would transition. While not quite as quick or easy as touch-screen, the center console mounted mouse offers comfortable (no shifting or reaching) convenience and quick commands. There’s a small vibration for feedback when you reach a selectable icon and the mouse “pops” automatically from icon to icon making selections very easy. Best of all: no fingerprints! There’s one primary con to this interior, in my opinion: if you have the main screen display off, as I often do, there is no other active display. Unfortunately, there is no way to know exactly what volume the music is at, what song you are listening to, or exactly what climate settings are activated. With the main screen off, if you make any changes (change the music or volume, alter climate settings, etc…) the screen briefly turns on to display your change, and then turns back off. I think Lexus would have been better served to have a small LCD display bar (much like what is above the navigation screen in the TL) to always show music, climate, or other frequently used settings. This would allow the main digital screen to remain off unless in use. This has been my biggest problem with the GS but it is easily overlooked with all of the pros the interior offers. Also, a small quirk: there is no digital clock display anywhere in the vehicle. There is an analog clock in the center of the dash, which I actually like and will certainly get used to but, again, a small LCD display could resolve this issue.

Comfort/Convenience: This is my first true luxury vehicle. The TL was a very nice car and had a lot to offer, but the fourth generation GS is on another level. I know it’s not exactly fair to compare a 2005 TL to a 2013 GS, but I’m going to do it anyway. I’ve always considered the TL, and Acura in general, to be entry-level luxury. The IS is slightly better but, again, still entry. You can tell just by sitting in the GS that nearly every aspect of the car was considered with the driver/passenger in mind. Every control is exactly where you would want and expect it to be. I know this isn’t the highest level of luxury available, but it is certainly far above entry. Push start, automatic seats with nearly every setting imaginable, keyless EVERYTHING; this car offers a plethora of niceties and “NEAT!”s that I will continuously enjoy. For example, locking and unlocking the vehicle literally demands no more than the movement of a finger. The car senses the key (left in your pocket), so simply grabbing the door handle to open the door will deactivate all the locks and give you access to the car. Upon exiting, a simple touch to a sensor on the handle will lock the vehicle. As you open the door, the seat and steering wheel move back to allow you easy entry, and starting the vehicle or putting on your seatbelt moves the seat and wheel to your preferred settings. A back-up camera and parking sensors are exactly how you would expect them to be.

Personally, space was one of the biggest drivers for the GS over the IS. Space is at a premium in the IS (even in the newly redesigned third generation), and I didn’t want to take a step back from my TL. The GS is roomier than the 3G TL, but not overly so. You don’t feel lost, but you don’t feel cramped. The adjustable seats are fantastic for those long, high-mileage trips, but can also be adjusted to keep you planted in the seat while you test out the car’s AWD capabilities. The rear of the vehicle is extremely comfortable for two adults. I’m a 6’2”, 200lbs male and I can fit comfortably in every seat of the vehicle. Rear passengers have air control and automatic up/down windows. The rear sun shade, while somewhat superfluous, does aid in keeping to car just slightly cooler on those warmer days.

The commuting ride is very good. You're not riding on a cloud, but it's extremely comfortable and quiet. I enjoy a calm, smooth ride as much as I enjoy romping it, and this car delivers.

Performance: I love sport-oriented luxury vehicles. It has always been my favorite category of vehicle, and it’s no surprise that I landed on the TL back in 2009. The TL and GS are definitely luxury-sport vehicles, and I consider that they fall into the same realm: They are not fast. They are quick. Speed, especially on the forums/internet, always seems to be a very relative sensation. Some would consider the TL and the GS fast. Some would consider them painfully slow. I fall somewhere in the middle. I was always very happy with the level of performance that the TL offered. In all honesty, I thought it was perfect for what I wanted out of a vehicle. The ability to get 30+ mpg on the highway on long trips, but also be able to beat out 90% of vehicles next to you at the red light takes the right kind of vehicle, and I thought Acura did a fantastic job of meeting this. Perhaps that wasn’t their goal, and perhaps this isn’t the top concern for most drivers out there, but it is important to me. In a car that I drive every day, I don’t want to get 15 mpg, but I also don’t want to have to feel like I need to get out and push while I merge onto the highway. This balance is important to me and it’s one of the reasons I loved my TL so much. The Lexus falls into a similar class. It is faster than the TL. It should be. It’s newer and fancier and technology has come a long way even over the past few years. Unfortunately, I don’t expect it to be as economical as the TL was. I’m still on my first tank of gas, but I’m averaging 22 mpg (60/40 highway/city). In the TL I was closer to the 26/27 mpg range. This is where I may sound contradictory and I’m having a hard time expressing my thoughts: while I never really considered the TL to be underpowered given its size, I actually think that the GS could stand an extra 50 HP due primarily to its weight. I’m not an engineer or mechanic, but I thought that the TL’s 3.2L engine fell into that perfect realm of power vs. economy. I do not feel that the GS350 achieved this same balance. It is less economical, and yet I still feel that it is more underpowered, given its size, than the TL. Maybe this is just a product of the times of bigger, heavier vehicles and more stringent emissions requirements. I don’t expect to be as impressed with the balance of this engine as I was with the TL. That said, with F Sport or F Sport + mode engaged, it is surprisingly quick and would spank the TL in a foot race (again, this shouldn’t be a surprise). To summarize this scatterbrained paragraph, I wish the Lexus was slightly more economical while also having just a bit more power. I would think this to be achievable. Maybe it’s not. Maybe I’m trying to have my cake and eat it, too. BUT, this is my first week with the GS, and my opinion may change. These are just my initial thoughts. Overall I’m very pleased with the level of performance and don’t have any regrets.

Now that the comparison to the TL and the economy vs. power argument has been laid out, I’ll touch a little bit on the overall performance of the car. Overall, I’m very pleased and impressed. I didn’t want to paint a negative picture – the car can genuinely move. It’s just not mind-blowingly fast. Maybe if I had never driven the IS350, which didn’t seem as underpowered, I wouldn’t care as much. Having the same engine but being a heavier car inherently makes it slower. I would have liked to see Lexus tune the engine a bit just to give it a little more gusto, but overall I can’t complain. It’s much faster than the TL that I left behind, and I can say with some confidence that the 306HP won’t let me down with any regularity. It’s enough to put you into the seat a little bit and get you at the front of the line. The different engine settings (economy, normal, F Sport, and F Sport +) aren't just gimmicks and smoke; each setting distinctly impacts how the car performs. I have spent the majority of my time in economy mode to see how the car does during my weekly commute, but my ventures into F Sport + mode have left me with a smile on my face.

The AWD is fantastic. This, coupled with the F Sport + setting which firms up the suspension, really makes this a fun car to whip around. I don’t have much experience with AWD cars, but the grip has really impressed me. I would love to take this car to a driving course and sling it around some corners. With the F Sport + setting engaged, the weight doesn’t seem as negatively impactful on the performance of the car. As I get more seat time I will have more opinions. However, I can say definitively that driving this car over the TL is infinitely more pleasurable from a performance standpoint. The FWD TL really just ruined the experience for me. Anything other than a straight line was miserable. I hate understeer and had always said that if the TL were RWD then it would have been a dream car for me. I really wanted a RWD GS350 but the AWD makes more sense given my region and given the fact that this is my wife’s primary vehicle (we almost always ride together but when we go separately I drive my truck). While it may not be as fun as RWD, I haven’t had a moment of disappointment with the AWD GS350.

That’s all I can come up with for the moment! Hope this was enjoyable/informative!
The following 4 users liked this post by jsonkimz:
crazyasiantl (05-02-2015), eyedrop (04-29-2015), ggesq (04-29-2015), justnspace (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Did you get the 6AT or 8AT? I know that in 2013 GS350 has 6AT but in 2014 they offer 8AT.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
That is a nice write up! Lexus is making some beautiful cars and the GS F Sport is an a perfect example.
The following users liked this post:
jsonkimz (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Did you get the 6AT or 8AT? I know that in 2013 GS350 has 6AT but in 2014 they offer 8AT.
Mine is the 2013, so it's the 6AT. I would be interested in seeing if the 8AT makes a big difference in the fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
That is a nice write up! Lexus is making some beautiful cars and the GS F Sport is an a perfect example.
Thanks! I agree!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
For all AWD models only 6AT is available.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

ooops I live in Houston where AWD is non existence. RWD FTW
Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Congrats! I love the GS! I wish it had a bit more power too.

I guess I'll be stuck getting a GSF to help satisfy that need...yeah right
Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Congrats! I love the GS! I wish it had a bit more power too.

I guess I'll be stuck getting a GSF to help satisfy that need...yeah right
467 ponies under the hood on the GSF might make it a bit more sporty...
Old 04-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by polobunny
467 ponies under the hood on the GSF might make it a bit more sporty...
Just a bit

I've driven a few RCFs and they are an absolute blast. I can only imagine how fantastic the GSF will be. I hope they come in soon!

OP, did you opt for Lexus Enform so you can use the App Suite in the vehicle?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Is Lexus enform an option ? I thought it was standard

Even my lowly ct200 has it with the app suite
Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Registered Bunny

Just a bit

I've driven a few RCFs and they are an absolute blast. I can only imagine how fantastic the GSF will be. I hope they come in soon!

RCF has the same power as the soon to be GSF. If anything they'll be very similar, minus the added weight of the GSF.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

The isf has amazing resale value I imagine used rcf and used gsf wil be the same

When's the next isc coming? Current one is so dated
Old 04-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Is Lexus enform an option ? I thought it was standard

Even my lowly ct200 has it with the app suite
Enform is free for one year with a new vehicle purchase; it's bundled with Safety Connect. There is no free trial with a CPO vehicle. Certain 2015 models have the Enform Remote one year for free as well which allows you to lock, unlock, start, and stop your vehicle along with setting curfews, set speed notifications and such all from your smart phone.

Originally Posted by polobunny
RCF has the same power as the soon to be GSF. If anything they'll be very similar, minus the added weight of the GSF.

The isf has amazing resale value I imagine used rcf and used gsf wil be the same

When's the next isc coming? Current one is so dated
The ISC is dead after 2015. There have been rumors of a RC convertible based off of the LF-C2 concept but nothing has been confirmed. The idea of it is cool but considering that the RC is already a heavy pig, I don't think adding a retractable hardtop would help its performance.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Lexus might need to release a smaller V6 turbo or 4 banger turbo to replace the old MR2.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Tyler, is it weird that you're such and expert now that you work at a dealership?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Lexus might need to release a smaller V6 turbo or 4 banger turbo to replace the old MR2.
Lexus already released a 2.0L turbo in the new NX
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

That thing is just like the 1st gen RDX.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Ten million times better looking and not all dowdy like first gen Rdx
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Pro

Just a bit

So I'm registered with Lexus Enform but I haven't explored it too much yet. It honestly didn't seem that great. Is it worth getting?

Quick Reply: Goodbye, TL...