ucf_bronco’s Progress Thread (Updated September 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Darn, I am running similar camber. No visible tire wear yet but first upgrade next Summer is a camber kit.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
<p>I don't trust Firestone...so much so, that this last go I paid to have it done at Acura of Pembroke Pines instead even though I still have lifetime. &nbsp;Are those &quot;outside&quot; only directional tires? &nbsp;I had my kumho's flipped and the inner edge was in worse shape than that. &nbsp;Buy's me another year on em, if I leave the Aspecs on. &nbsp;:wink:</p>
Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
Darn, I am running similar camber. No visible tire wear yet but first upgrade next Summer is a camber kit.
I wonder if it's due to higher than normal tire pressure. I run 40 in the front and 35 in the rear (as opposed to 37/32 as specified in door panel). I do that since I have aftermarket wheels with a lower profile tire but I may just have to go down to the OEM specs.

I also drive at least 15k miles a year so I'm racking up the miles pretty quick.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I don't trust Firestone...so much so, that this last go I paid to have it done at Acura of Pembroke Pines instead even though I still have lifetime. Are those "outside" only directional tires? I had my kumho's flipped and the inner edge was in worse shape than that. Buy's me another year on em, if I leave the Aspecs on.
I've had good luck at Firestone (at least with the alignments). I get them done about every six months and always leave with everything other than camber in spec. I recently went to a different location and was very happy with the guy that did the work. It was right after I installed the SPC camber kit and surprisingly I was allowed in the work area to watch.

My tires aren't directional, but they do have "outside" stamped on them. I can still rotate like normal but I can't flip the tires, unfortunately.

It sucks because there's still a good amount of tread left too. Hopefully since I corrected the negative camber in the rear and plan to lower the PSI I can buy some more time. These tires came with a 50k treadlife warranty so I figured I'd get at least three years out of them.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
I wonder if it's due to higher than normal tire pressure. I run 40 in the front and 35 in the rear (as opposed to 37/32 as specified in door panel). I do that since I have aftermarket wheels with a lower profile tire but I may just have to go down to the OEM specs.

I also drive at least 15k miles a year so I'm racking up the miles pretty quick.

I've had good luck at Firestone (at least with the alignments). I get them done about every six months and always leave with everything other than camber in spec. I recently went to a different location and was very happy with the guy that did the work. It was right after I installed the SPC camber kit and surprisingly I was allowed in the work area to watch.

My tires aren't directional, but they do have "outside" stamped on them. I can still rotate like normal but I can't flip the tires, unfortunately.

It sucks because there's still a good amount of tread left too. Hopefully since I corrected the negative camber in the rear and plan to lower the PSI I can buy some more time. These tires came with a 50k treadlife warranty so I figured I'd get at least three years out of them.
That's purely camber wear. Throw the worst 2 tires on the front and the good ones on the rear. Make sure the Toe is Zeroed out, that's what kills insides of tires along with camber.

Also check your front compliance bushings. BTW warranty won't cover the wear if it's worn like that, clearly alignment wear.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by csmeance
That's purely camber wear. Throw the worst 2 tires on the front and the good ones on the rear. Make sure the Toe is Zeroed out, that's what kills insides of tires along with camber.

Also check your front compliance bushings. BTW warranty won't cover the wear if it's worn like that, clearly alignment wear.
The interesting thing is the two worst tires came off the front. I think the severe irregular wear is because I was running 40 psi cold (in combination with camber out of spec). When I rotated them I put those two in the back but since I have the rear camber corrected now and I'm sticking with OEM specs (37/32) I'm hoping it won't get any worse.

I'll have to take a look at the front compliance bushings (first have to figure out what the hell those are, haha).

I knew the warranty wouldn't cover the wear but I threw that out there so it was clear these tires should have much more life. Hell, I don't think the warranty applies anyway since the sidewall is under 40.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I agree with the above poster about not trusting Firestone. Their lifetime alignment package is BS. I've had customers who thought Firestone did their alignment take it into another shop and find out they were not even doing the alignment. My brother had one of those packages a while back too. They used to do anything they could to avoid doing it.

Those tires are soft and wear quickly anyway but I would chalk that one up to the toe being out more than the camber. Yes, the camber being off will slowly wear the inner shoulder more but it's not a massive amount. Tires take the most abuse under cornering. When you corner, that negative camber decreases because the tire actually stands up straight.

Lastly, I would highly recommend getting a higher quality tire on your next set. While a comparable set of Continental's may cost a bit more from the get go, the added mileage you will receive out of them will more than make up for it. On top of that, they will ride better, be quieter, have more traction and be an overall safer tire.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:52 AM

^
I wouldn't be shocked to find that out at all...I mean, I watched the guy align...
but, you can take a shiet in a box and label it guaranteed.../Tommy Boy

either way, they don't care...they align...or don't...you need tires faster...win for them.

Whatever, what I do find in my own 3G experience is the TL is VERY prone to squatting under load...I wouldn't be shocked if my fatass in the car causes toe out as soon as I drive away from the damn alignment shop.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Drifting

I don't really get how Firestone does sub-par alignments. The two I go to have the newest Hunter machine and I leave with a printout that shows the specs. The last one I had done I was right there with the guy while he was doing it, so I know they're not fudging the results. How is an alignment done different (i.e. better) at other shops?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
The interesting thing is the two worst tires came off the front. I think the severe irregular wear is because I was running 40 psi cold (in combination with camber out of spec). When I rotated them I put those two in the back but since I have the rear camber corrected now and I'm sticking with OEM specs (37/32) I'm hoping it won't get any worse.

I'll have to take a look at the front compliance bushings (first have to figure out what the hell those are, haha).

I knew the warranty wouldn't cover the wear but I threw that out there so it was clear these tires should have much more life. Hell, I don't think the warranty applies anyway since the sidewall is under 40.

Thanks for the input!
Warranty applies to tires based on speed ratings! Not by size of the sizewall.

The front tires must have that inner wear due to bad alignment then with the Toe set wrong. Bad toe eats through front tires. Running at 40PSI should have worn the center of the tire out before the rest.

I don't really get how Firestone does sub-par alignments. The two I go to have the newest Hunter machine and I leave with a printout that shows the specs. The last one I had done I was right there with the guy while he was doing it, so I know they're not fudging the results. How is an alignment done different (i.e. better) at other shops?
Firestone and other alignment places are supposed to put weight in the driver seat and then perform the alignment (bags of sand usually). Some will get things into the green zone while others take the time to zero things out and get adjustments done right. One adjustment affects all the others so it's a bit of a game to get it right.

Printouts are the best thing you can get.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Warranty applies to tires based on speed ratings! Not by size of the sizewall.
That's not always the case. Some tire manufacturers only honor the tread life warranty on 40 series and up (see Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105). Also, when I bought my current Falken tires from Firestone they advised that the tread life warranty was only good on 40 series and up.

Running at 40PSI should have worn the center of the tire out before the rest.
I understand that's the norm, but I have a hard time believing that's also the case when running negative camber.

Firestone and other alignment places are supposed to put weight in the driver seat and then perform the alignment (bags of sand usually). Some will get things into the green zone while others take the time to zero things out and get adjustments done right. One adjustment affects all the others so it's a bit of a game to get it right.

Printouts are the best thing you can get.
They are definitely not putting anything in the seat. I'll have to take a closer look at the printouts because I've never really paid much attention to the figures, just the colors.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Well...my comment was only in reference to my personal experience and opinion after years of going through odd wear and very strange explanations for things...

go in, get green paper back...all good...but my steering wheel isn't straight.
they fix the steering wheel but now the camber says it's 2 degrees different than the day before...I ask..."oh, yeah, the machine is sensitive, the numbers can change every time"

then once I took a 2 arm lower kit where you set toe then camber and I get home and one of my rear tires is obviously facing outward to the point that I'm cutting the tire with my fender. and

Just the level of attention, quality...etc...

Plus, the machine is only as good as it's calibration and the tech using it giving a shiet about getting it right.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Drifting

^^^Gotcha, understood. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Nothing new, just posting up a couple of pics I snapped over the weekend. Of course I added the obligatory cell phone filters, haha!

Name:  DSC_04373_zps1sljwh6w.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  DSC_04402_zpsgalfcaco.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  179.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
nats007 (12-29-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:27 PM

that last one...
your stance is what I consider, perfect.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Thanks man! It's nice to hear positive feedback from someone whose opinion I respect.

The camber kit really made all the difference!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM

well okay then...
I'm literally blushing.
Thanks, man...I'm honored that you'd respect my opinion.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing new, just posting up a couple of pics I snapped over the weekend. Of course I added the obligatory cell phone filters, haha!

That second pic is sick. Real good looking car
Old 10-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Drifting

well okay then...
I'm literally blushing.
Thanks, man...I'm honored that you'd respect my opinion.
No problem man! Just speaking the truth...there are certain people on AZ that I hold in high regard and you're one of them. When one of those people compliments what I've done it carries more weight than when others say it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mod my car for anyone but myself but a pat on the back every once in a while doesn't hurt.

Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
That second pic is sick. Real good looking car
Thanks man!
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 PM

I'll pat you on the back alright
Old 10-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Drifting

I'll pat you on the back alright
LOL! Nothing wrong with a friendly slap and tickle session
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Well, the KTuner that was planned for this month has been pushed back. My two little girls are the higher priority and this baby has altered the Dec budget.

Name:  20151127_145310_zpsexuzw1cp.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  270.5 KB

I will still be doing some work to the car though. I am in need of new brakes (pads are low and a lot of vibration when braking) so I'm upgrading to drilled/slotted rotors with black zinc coating, adding SS brake lines and premium semi metallic pads. I'm also re-painting my calipers as I plan to fully remove them. Up next is re-doing the vinyl on my grille and taking apart my driver side headlight to fix some hazing on the lens (from the VHT on the reflector). Last is a slight adjustment on the height of my coils since the rear is a bit higher due to the camber correction. Then of course the necessary alignment.

Pics to follow! I'm starting a week from this Saturday and will be spreading the work out over a week or two since I'll be traveling.
The following 3 users liked this post by ucf_bronco:
BDoggPrelude (12-10-2015), csmeance (12-14-2015), rockstar143 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I'm sure that will make the kids smile a lot bigger than the K-Tuner would make you smile. Looks nice!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Haha, exactly! And of course when they're smiling, I'm smiling...so it's a win-win!

The nice thing is the TL is still getting some love...fixing some things that have been bothering me while improving the looks/performance in other areas. Another win-win!

The KTuner will still be added at some point, probably late 2016.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:36 AM

awesome, man...
I want to put a pool in at some point. Wifey wants it and now that we have a daughter too, I picture her having friends over when she's older and spending the summer's playing at the house.

Car stuff can wait...I'm with you there.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Agreed, car stuff can definitely wait! How old is your daughter? I'm thinking she's young because I thought your only kids were your dogs

I was dead set against a pool when we were looking for houses back in 2008. I had one growing up and was responsible for maintaining it. It wasn't easy! I didn't want to deal with that headache years ago but now that we have kids it's another story...our next house will definitely have a pool. Fortunately we have a nice area out back now (swing set along with our deck and screened in porch; both additions since purchasing the house) so we can enjoy ourselves out there. Our house faces west too so it's shady and cool out there in the afternoon and there's a conservation area behind us so no rear neighbors.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM

That sounds effin awesome, man.
She turned 1 month yesterday. My new life, man...crazy but fun.

Funny, you and I are so similar in our thinking. I did live in a house with one for a while and hated the added cost and need to maintain. But after hearing so many people and thinking back to summers at Grandpa's pool...I realized it would be awesome for her to hang and bring her friends over instead of being at someone else's house! We don't have a TON of space for one, but we can put a small one in down the line. I bet the $15-20K to put it in will double in additional valuation on the crib.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Drifting

That's awesome man, congratulations!!!

Our second daughter just turned 7 months last weekend. We're at that nice stage now where she's still a baby but smiles and laughs all the time and more importantly...sleeps through the night!

Agreed on the spike in the value of your home with a pool. I'm sure you'll get more in return in the the end than what you put in...not to mention of course, like you said, having her and her friends there playing rather than somewhere else is priceless.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Congrats too, man...thank you!
WOw...sleeping through the night sounds like a real dream...
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Thanks man! Yeah, it's a major milestone IMO. It'll be here before you know it though!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM

Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Loving the kid "mod" haha. Awesome addition that will bring many memorable moments for the whole family.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 PM

or broken bones! you'll shoot your eye out!

Just kidding, gotta let kids be kids and learn for themselves!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
That's why I do have a pool, I don't want to maintain it. The community I live in has a pool that we can use whenever.... I'll pay my 39 dollar HOA fee not to have to deal with pool maintenance. I have a spa in my backyard, but it's currently not working right now, plus I'm in Cali we don't need no spas.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 PM

I'm assuming that first DO is supposed to be DON'T
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Yes, good eye. I can't read today it seems.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 PM

LOL...well, halfway through I was like, dafuq, this shit don't make sense!

UNLESS....that's a DONT!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Drifting

^^^LOL!

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Loving the kid "mod" haha. Awesome addition that will bring many memorable moments for the whole family.
Thanks man! Great way to put it, haha!

or broken bones! you'll shoot your eye out!

Just kidding, gotta let kids be kids and learn for themselves!
Couldn't agree more!

Originally Posted by Flipster23
That's why I do have a pool, I don't want to maintain it. The community I live in has a pool that we can use whenever.... I'll pay my 39 dollar HOA fee not to have to deal with pool maintenance. I have a spa in my backyard, but it's currently not working right now, plus I'm in Cali we don't need no spas.
We fortunately have a community pool as well so we can head down there if we want, but that's definitely different than having one out back. Granted there's a trade off for that convenience, and it's the maintenance. We've talked about getting a spa as that's all our backyard could handle but it's nothing we're pulling the trigger on anytime soon.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Well, I've made some progress over the past week. It's been nice to space it all out. Took everything apart on day 1, then did headlight and grille, then stripped/cleaned/sanded/repainted calipers. The headlight is still slightly hazy and the vinyl on the grille is far from perfect but still improved in both areas. The calipers look great though.

Heading out of town for a few days then gonna get SS brake lines in and put it all back together. More pics to follow.

Name:  20151219_103354_zpsm9dwedjo.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  20151219_131827_zpspjdh28na.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  20151227_115431_zpsduhy9egj.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  181.9 KB
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Heeeyy bud, you should be baking cakes, turkey or ham for the holidays hahaha, just kidding.

Have fun working on the ride.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Love it...you're methodical as fuck!

PS, next car, I am NOT opening the headlights ever.

Quick Reply: ucf_bronco’s Progress Thread (Updated September 2015)