Hot weather engine bog

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hot weather engine bog

So I have owned my 2012 TSX SE 6-spd for four years and have always had terrible engine response and bogging on the hot humid summer days (with AC on much worse). The car runs perfect on cooler days.
Is it an air intake issue causing heat soaking? Or the throttle body having hot coolant flowing through it causing heat soak?
My car is out of warranty soon and I am not trying to make my car go faster I have another car for that I just want the engine to respond better on the hot days of summer.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running an aftermarket intake or stock?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

My car is completely stock.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Should be heat soak
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
Internal combustion engines make less power in hot weather. It's simple physics: hot air = less dense = less fuel needed to maintain 14:1 stoichiometric ratio. Forced induction helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

So does anyone have a solution? Am I the only TSX owner who experiences the condition or does everyone just live with it? I do plan on bypassing the coolant to the throttle body but I am not sure if doing this will eliminate the bogging in the heat.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 PM
10th Gear

Weird. I'm pretty sensitive to heat soak feeling but haven't experienced it with my 14 TSX.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
I notice it on the really hot and humid days. 4cyl feels like 3cyl with the AC on. You just adjust and get used to it.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
Yeah dude just live with it.. Same shit with mine here in orlando. Most if not every single one of my 4cyl Hondas/acuras had this issue.. No torque.. Buy a v6 or turbo something if it bothers you too much.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

Actually turbos are not immune to it, I came from the 2008 Acura RDX when it was a turbo 4. That car had bad response during hot humid days also.
I am really not used to this having come from V8s before my two Acuras. I once had fuel percolating on my carbed Z28 back in the day but that was easily taken care of with a phenolic spacer under the carb and blocking the coolant passage on the intake manifold.
Thanks all for the help I will try the throttle body coolant bypass anyway.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
It might be a pseudo effect but I feel like my car pulls harder on cooler days (60-75) aswell.. (it's around 100 degrees now)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by VR1
It might be a pseudo effect but I feel like my car pulls harder on cooler days (60-75) aswell.. (it's around 100 degrees now)
it's not.
like, explained above, cooler air is denser air. denser air = moar POWAH!

on the TL side, we've modded our cars to let heat out of the engine more efficiently.

Vents
- the original innovator cut up the windshield hood cowl. this let out MAJOR heat. a couple caveats; you lose the ability to switch to outside fresh air. it also leaves underneath the cowl exposed to the elements; leaves, rain, sand, etc.

- we've done M3 hood vents which let out hot air where it's needed. Right above the engine.

- you can use any stock car vent. i personally like the MB vents that sit parallel with the windshield cowl.

Throttle body coolant re-route
Just like the name implies, we've circled back the coolant lines so that the hot coolant never reaches the intake.
because the intake air temperature sensor is IMPORTANT.

this leads into the
Air intake temp. sensor relocate
re-locate the temp. sensor away from any hot sources.
- caveat....we found that moving the sensor is tricky, and you have to monitor it closely to find the sweet spot.

which leads to.....
SHORT RAM INTAKES!
why is it bad? because it soaks up all the heat in the engine bay.
remember that IAT sensor, i mentioned earlier.... yes, its important.
since the air filter of the short ram is sitting right next to the IAT sensor...
you guessed it...
the sensor will pick up the hot temps and will report back to the ECU scaling back timing.

this leads to..
octane.
you need the highest octane available in order to prevent pre-detonation and timing being retarded

remember ladies and fellers, heat is bad.....mmmmkay

Last edited by justnspace; 07-28-2015 at 07:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
SleEper_Cu2 (08-13-2015), xtcnrice (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 PM

p.s. these are mods that help but wont necessarily eliminate Heat soak.
but, with the way our ECU retards timing, every little thing helps.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

Thank you for the detailed explanation justnspace.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM

no problem.

ive also heard of one rumor that helps. use the strongest and most reliable battery available.
rumors say the Sears Die Hard Platinum series battery eliminates this weird phenomenon
Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
it's not.

on the TL side, we've modded our cars to let heat out of the engine more efficiently.

Vents
- the original innovator cut up the windshield hood cowl. this let out MAJOR heat. a couple caveats; you lose the ability to switch to outside fresh air. it also leaves underneath the cowl exposed to the elements; leaves, rain, sand, etc.

- we've done M3 hood vents which let out hot air where it's needed. Right above the engine.

- you can use any stock car vent. i personally like the MB vents that sit parallel with the windshield cowl.

Just like the name implies, we've circled back the coolant lines so that the hot coolant never reaches the intake.

this leads into the
- caveat....we found that moving the sensor is tricky, and you have to monitor it closely to find the sweet spot.

which leads to.....
SHORT RAM INTAKES!
since the air filter of the short ram is sitting right next to the IAT sensor...
you guessed it...
the sensor will pick up the hot temps and will report back to the ECU scaling back timing.

this leads to..
octane.
you need the highest octane available in order to prevent pre-detonation and timing being retarded

WOW, wish I had read some of those tweaks and mods when I had my 3G TL-S!

You guys don't even know the meaning of heatsoak and power loss! I live in ABQ NM, hot desert climate, 100+ summer days, and a mile above sea level
=very, not dense air, less oxygen

but justnspace summed it up nicely. I really have to beat the piss out of my car to accelarate in the dead heat in the middle of the day.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

Yes, my car is a hesitating slow dog trying to move from a dead stop when it gets hot and humid.
But when it gets cooler the car feels smooth and responsive.
It amazes me that the manufacturer can release a model with this difficiency. Don't they test in hot weather?
I am glad my car is a manual at least I can rev the wheezer and get it to move, automatics must be terrible!
I did the TB bypass and it didn't do much to alleviate the problem.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Just had a crazy thought... or ingenious. Lol

Why don't somebody try routing the ac line through the throttle coolant line? Pressure too high?

or supply ac cooled air from the passenger area to intake? Lol

Bingo... route one ac outlet to the air intake! Thats a do able mod.

Or through the throttle body coolant line and vent it to the atmosphere. Ding ding ding... we have a winner!
Lol this will work in winter too by supplying heated air? You can just put a valve in line to turn it off if you want.

Last edited by 01acls; 08-08-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

Update on hot weather bog. I reinstalled the throttle body coolant bypass. It did not do much to fix my problem and just in case we get another winter like last year in New England I would rather not take a chance with throttle blades freezing/sticking.
I want to again thank justnspace for his tip about the battery possibly contributing to the hot weather bog.
I was noticing my car was turning over very slowly. So I bought a new Optima red top series 35 battery. It has 720 CCA vs stock OEM of 410 CCA. My problem has been eliminated. My car starts great of course but the hesitation/bog is gone. The computer and the sensors (ref voltages) must be extremely sensitive to low battery voltage.
For others wanting to install the Optima red top series 35, it is shorter than the stock battery and a little wider so it won't fit in the stock flimsy plastic battery tray. I removed the flimsy tray and installed the plastic cover that comes with the Optima and installed it on the bottom of the Optima. This gave me the height I needed for the stock battery hold down to clamp properly. It fits this way and is not moving around.
Thanks justnspace :-)
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (08-17-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Curious... What octane fuel do you put in your car?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 AM
Instructor

Hot weather engine bog

Octane is 93 and I have tried different gas stations.
I also tried 89 octane once during the hot weather just to see if it would have an effect. It did not seem to make much difference.
The battery was the fix, and it has been real hot here in New England with high humidity so it has been a good test.
Absolutely no bog anymore.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
That's interesting to hear that the battery fixed some of that bog. I feel it's particularly noticeable with my turbo car. The higher temps really kill PSI. My NA just feels slow no matter what.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it's not.

Vents

this leads into the

which leads to.....
SHORT RAM INTAKES!
you guessed it...

this leads to..
octane.

Do you have pics of this stuff?