Anyone do the torque converter transmission program recall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by diamondmit
If your mileage is below 72,000 miles, I think they are required to replace the seatbelt as it is a warrantied safety item - unfortunately, I could be very wrong about this because I'm basing this on my experience w/Lexus, but even if the mileage is wrong I think you've got a case. I'd go to the district Acura rep. I'll see if I can find out w/the Acura guys in the Boston area.

Thanks so much, though I actually live in Denver. I was working in Boston for a few years and flying there 3 weeks a month, but I have been back in Denver a while now.

My car was a CPO, so the basic was extended to 62,000 miles or 5 years. My card says it expires May 2014. I just hit 50,000 miles a few weeks ago.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I found Acura's seatbelt warranty language....

Source: Acura
Seat Belt Limited Warranty

While seat belts cannot completely remove the possibility of injury, they do provide a very significant level of protection when used properly. Acura believes the best way to enhance your safety is to use your seat belt. To encourage their use, the seat belts should always be in good operating condition.

Time Period
This warranty's coverage begins on the same date as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see page 9) and continues for 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Warranty Coverage
Acura will repair or replace, at its option, any Acura seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. This includes all parts and labor charges.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Replacement of a properlyfunctioning seat belt assembly strictly for cosmetic or comfort reasons.

• Failure caused by abuse, alteration, accidental damage, misuse, or malfunction resulting from a collision.
The following users liked this post:
emanon256 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by diamondmit
This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Replacement of a properlyfunctioning seat belt assembly strictly for cosmetic or comfort reasons.
I wonder if they consider it not retracting fully to be cosmetic or comfort related. I was able to get an appointmetn y phoen with teh GM this afternoon, so I hope that leads to some resolution on the TC problem, as well as the seat belt.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my prop shaft replaced yesterday and they also did the software update for the TC. I could tell right off the bat the car is more responsive, and haven't had any of the vibrations I felt previously. Not sure how bad off it was to begin with, though-hadn't noticed any craY RPM or shifting problems...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM
5th Gear

^crazy, not craY
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Racer

Angry

Last Friday I finally convinced them to replace the seat belt. I went in and showed them the grumbling, which was obvious, they felt it too. Its was much worse with multiple people in the car. It happens at 29 MPH when it happened at 35MPH before the update. I also mentioned the MPG drop again and said they need to look into this.

I spoke to the GM, who put me in touch with the Service Manager. The Service Manager said he has received quite a few reports on MPG drops and continued grumbling and would follow up with the tech adviser.

The Adviser called me back Monday and said that he opened a case with Acura Tech Line, and that Acura told him its normal to still grumble and there is nothing they can do. I told him it specifically says on my recall notice if the grumble continues after the update the TC needs to be replaced. The Adviser told me that Acura Tech Line told him that was a mistake, its only if it happens between 35 and 40 that it should be replaced. He also said Tech Line said there should be no drop in MPG.

I called the Service Manager again who again said he would look into it. He then called me back on Tuesday late afternoon and said he drove my car and another 2009 and they both acted the exactly the same. He said he believes I am using non-premium fuel and that's the cause of the MPG loss, and the grumble is normal. I told him I only ever use Premium fuel and he said I can only get true "Premium" at a Conoco or Shell station, and that the station I go to sells bad gas. I asked again about getting the TC replaced per the recall and he no and that I need to come pick up my car, they will not work on it, nothing is wrong with it. He also added that my warranty has expired and they can no longer do any warranty work.

I picked up my car and noticed the invoice says:

• Customer complains about grumble and erratic shifting. Problem unsubstantiated, unable to duplicate, no codes found.
  • Customer complains about low MPG, customer is using low octain fuel, advised to purchase premium fuel.

Both of those were blatant lies. I am really at a loss as to what I can do, and my warranty card from Acura shows I am still under warranty. I called customer relations again yesterday morning and have yet to hear back.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Wow, that is really bad and I would be pissed if they incorrectly documented the actual events. This is a form of protection for both you and them. Why are they reluctant to state the facts on paper? Something is fishy there,...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
^^^ try another dealer?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Seems to me that they are giving you the runaround and want to shift the blame to you,which means you have less recourse in the event of future problems,be careful with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PDubs09TLSHAWD
Had my prop shaft replaced yesterday and they also did the software update for the TC. I could tell right off the bat the car is more responsive, and haven't had any of the vibrations I felt previously. Not sure how bad off it was to begin with, though-hadn't noticed any craY RPM or shifting problems...
same here, just had the same work done last week, have noticed with the tc update that my car shifts more agressively, on the highway previously if doing like 75mph when i hit the gas to pass, it would only drop into 4th unless i pressed the pedal into the floor as hard as i could, then i could get 3rd....now when i press into the throttle around 3/4 of the way it will drop into 3rd quickly....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Instructor

^^^^^^^ My feelings exactly. Could understand why a car with a 3.7L felt so lazy but now after the update the car feels the way it should and tranny feels strong? Would you guy suggestusing paddles often and S Mode?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Also slightly lower MPG. One day after using Lucas In jector cleaner I got as much as 28.5 MPG and after that best I could get is 21MPG highway????? and that's easy driving.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had it completed twice. 1st dealership did not fully complete the reprogram. Second dealer did it correctly. Drives the same except for the vibration.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
After reading all of this i dont know if im up for doing this...
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

What's your worry ?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

What's your worry ?
From what ive read and heard from other people as well is an increase in gas consumption, and noise issues from the transmission...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mmine decrease from 17.8 to 14.8MPG after the update. Now the car is at the dealer because the vibration continues. They did a "snap shot" and send it to Acura for warranty. One of the techs told me that maybe the entire tranny should be replaced. let's see what happens.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Racer

Update:

I met with an Acura rep and he reviewed everything with the dealer in question and was not too happy with their record keeping to say the least. He also said the dealer was lying about me having to get all warranty work done at the place where I bought the car, that is not the case and I can go to any Acura dealer.

I went to a new dealer and met the rep their and we explained the problem to the service manager. The service manager asked a bunch of questions, went for a drive, and said it sounds like they put in the transmission software, but did not re-set the shift point software which must be done after the transmission software update is applied. He said not resetting the shift points can cause all sorts of erratic behavior.

After they reset the shift points, I noticed the car immediately did the jutter. The manager said that's fine, it has to re-program itself over the next few weeks, and to call him if its still juttering in 6 weeks. After just 1 week, almost all of the juttering has stopped. Now if it does it, it's very brief and then it quickly down shifts. I have also noticed that the RPM still locks occasionally, but not at a point that causes the jutter. That said, I am getting a little better gas mileage, though still not as good as before.

The Acura Rep said there have been no reports of the mileage drop after the update, but he believes it makes since that there would be a drop as it stays in a lower gear and down shifts more frequently. He wants me to keep every gas receipt over a 6 month period and report back. He also said that if more people report this issue, they will open an investigation and try to make things right.

I have to say, changing dealers was the right decision. And I hope Acura makes things right in regards to the mileage loss, because its still a major difference.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my trans done as well, due to a letter from acura stating that there was a recall on reprogramming the trans. But my torque converter failed on me as well. If i was anyone, i'd take my tl back weather its a 2010 or a 2013. Motor is the same, just some little tweeks. my car is going in next week again. Hope that helps
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
well 2nd TC installed and still juddering. I hate this "lemon" car. With only 46k I replaced 2 link kits, 2 lower control arms and 2 TC. whats next?????
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a new owner of a 10 SH-AWD, I'm quite concerned. It seems as if any individuals' results may vary depending on the dealer they go to. Anyone in the NYC area get this done? If so, which dealership would you recommend? And perhaps everyone could list which dealerships they recommend in general so our fellow AZers can look up this info? Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 AM
Instructor

if your car jutters, i'd take my chances, & check it out. they tried to tell me that i'm lying, but i stood my ground
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Hmm...occasionally the car lugs around in OD around 30mph and around 1200RPM. I'd have to semi-deliberately press the accelerator for it to kick down a gear. When it's lugging around at that low RPM, I do feel a vibration through the accelerator although not excessive but noticeably more pronounced compared to normal driving. I don't necessarily feel a lack of power in second gear.
My biggest peeve though is, on occasion, especially when going up a slight incline, the car is hesitant to upshift into I believe 3rd gear from 2nd (or maybe it was 4th gear from 3rd). I tried letting off completely, etc and the car wouldn't shift unless I brought the motor to above 3K RPMs. Anyone else have this occur to them? Could this be a sign of the transmission running on the older software?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
5th Gear

Hey folks,

my car has the same problems especially the shuttering when you let off the gas slightly going up or down an incline.

I have had it in the shop 6++ times and they say it has no problems.

Worst problem car i have ever had in 40+ years of driving hands down and worst service advisrs and corporate headquarters ever. Lying cheating thieves!!!

Az greg
2012 tl
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Firmware update solved the above issues but it came right back after my battery died. I guess ecu reset will erase the update.? The dealer told me its not suppose to erase the new codes but the car drives like crap again. My 4dr civic feel like it can out run my 09 tl-Shawn. This is just sad...

Last edited by fusiongt; 03-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Instructor

i got mines back, & changing the torque convertor solved the problem. same thing i had with my 2010
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor

If the car is out of warranty, Acura is still need to address this issue correct..?? because people are STILL having the same problem After new torque convertor.!! -_-;
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Took my 2010 SH-AWD to the dealer today to address the low end judder and like many others the torque converter needs replaced. The dealer has been cooperative and ordered the parts. For those who have had this done previously has it permanently fixed the judder issue and any update to the affect on gas mileage?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TL Driver

I originally got the software update and now 4mo later they are changing the TC.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Any reason to think the transmission would have any long term issues with it driving the car for x amount of miles before replacing the torque converter? I am hoping not. Hopefully others will chime back in on this thread who have had the torque converter replaced and report back if the judder issues have been permanently fixed and how it affected gas mileage.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure about gas mileage but the car definitely drives a LOT better now. no judder and most important the gears shift when needed. before it felt like it was struggling all the time and the same time vibration was bad especially in traffic conditions 30 - 60km/h stop and go. I was really not enjoying the car until finally it was replaced. But the dealership really made me run around in order to finally aggree to change the damn thing. It was the second dealer too. The dealer where I bought the car plainly refused to deal with the problem and kept saying its normal. That was Steve (service manager) at Acura of Oakville in Toronto area. Before I bought the car the service was great but when I immediately identified some problems he acted as if everything is normal and nothing needed fixing apparently.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am experiencing this issue on my 2011 FWD TL and unfortunately I was not able to duplicate the issue with the service technician riding with me. I know the recall is for AWD only, however I can assure you I have this same issue on the FWD model.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Racer

My jutter came back a few weeks after the third software update. I am already going to a new dealer because the old one refused to fix it. I even got Acura involved and met with an Acura rep. Now both the new dealer and the Acura rep say it must be the gas I am using. I only ever buy the high octain. First they told me I have to get Conoco high octain, now they are saying I have to get Shell. They also said they can't do anything about the MPG drop. I keep mentioning the letter states if the jutter persists to replace the TC, but they refuse. Both dealers and the Acura rep said they can only replace the TC if the computer gives a code saying there is a TC problem. This jutter is driving me nuts.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Sorry you are having issues with your dealer. Mine was very helpful. I didn't think to ask if the computer had a code come up for the torque converter they just told me it needed replaced after a test drive without any prodding from me.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh this is interesting! I thought I was the only one that may need a round two!

History
I noticed the shuddering and was about to visit my dealer when I received the noticed from Acura about the TC a few months(?) ago. They did the software update but it did not fix the problem. So they then replaced the TC, all with no pushback and no resistance to fix the problem. After the TC was replaced the problem still persisted. WTF? They wer about to replace my tranny/TC combo when Acura Corporate stopped them and said that the software update "did not take" - meaning it was done wrong.

So they finally got the software done correctly and it was pure heaven. Everything was fixed! So now I have a new TC that really didn't needed to be replaced since they didn't do the software update correctly.

Present
HOWEVER, about two months ago I started to notice the shuddering again. This time, it only happens when doing highway driving and having everything warmed up. When I hit traffic on the highway and encounter stop and go traffic that's when the shudder comes right back. Same MPH range - 20-30 MPH there abouts. Local driving was fine, unlike before the software update where it reared its head on local driving only.

I just came back from a long trip (700 miles each way) and I noticed that the 30 MPH top end where the shuddering disappears is starting to creep up to 40+ MPH.

Does it harm the tranny over long term? I have no idea but I do have an extended warranty for 6 (was was it 7?) years 120k miles so I'm not too worry about future tranny damage as I'll pull out my extended and ask for a new tranny. Seeing how they were going to replace my tranny w/o even me asking, I don't see this as a problem.

As for MPG, I have noticed no change at all. At first I too was concerned and monitored it like a hawk. I must say, no effect at all, with same style driving.

Does anyone know for sure that the computer throws a code if the TC has a problem? I'm getting an oil change soon (20% left) and I plan to address this at the same time.

I wonder if there is an additional software update, sort of like a v2.0 to fix the bugs of v1.0.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
What is considered good/bad gas mileage on 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD in terms of range of a full tank? Is 300 miles from full to empty considered OK?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 AM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have 09 tl awd And just 1500 km left for powertrain warranty to expire

Can you please explain what fo you exactly mean by shudder ?
I have megnaflow 11225s so I just hear those ?

2 things I noticed
One is a jerk when it changes from first to 2nd gear and i got the tramsmission flush but its still there it usually does that when car is cold and car hasitates to shift down when u press on gas at 20-30 mpg

I took my car in last week for drive shaft grease leak they changed the shaft
And i told them about this and they just updated the software The transmission shifts little better but its not fully gone

And how much is the extended warranty and how can i save money on that??

Please help guys
Do you think this is the TC issue?

Lastly they asked if i want a free wash i said ok they fucking scrached my car all over the place there are fine scrAches everywhere what should i do ? The paper they r not responsible for any damages is there any polish that fix those scraches

Last edited by LADHAR; 08-08-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Advanced

No computer code appeared for me indicating any problem. It seems the software upgrade and replacing the torque converter go hand in hand and it would be wise to question the dealer to make sure both were done.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mynameisjacob
What is considered good/bad gas mileage on 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD in terms of range of a full tank? Is 300 miles from full to empty considered OK?
It's hard to tell depending on your driving condition and style. What you should do is take a look at the computer's Average MPG. I get 17 in town driving and 26 or so when strickly driving highway, pretty much what Acura advertises.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Honda/Acura recalls are valid for the life of the vehicle. My 98 Prelude had recall work done around 140,000 miles.

Previous owner of my 2010 TL SHAWD had the Torque Converter recall and reflash at 35,000 miles. Couldn't tell you how it felt before, but every Honda/Acura I've owned has always sucked at Low RPM especially with hesitation. Once the engines are over 2,400 RPM then the magic begins.

Quick Reply: Anyone do the torque converter transmission program recall?