Who Put On Their Own RV-6 Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who Put On Their Own RV-6 Downpipe

I'm wondering who put on their own downpipe? I've had a headache and a half trying to put this thing on. I thought the hard part was going to be taking everything out and the rest would be 'easy' meanwhile the flange of the downpipe won't fit the turbo as if it's too small to fit snuggly inside. Any suggestions? I kind of need the car by Monday and it's already been a miserable 8 hrs on this between yesterday and today
Old 08-30-2015, 05:54 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
wow once i had the stock stuff off the new stuff went right on. make sure the steel gaskets are not getting in the way. you have all the heat shields out of the way and the dog bone out of the way. so if you tilt the motor and have the intercooler out of the way you should be good to go.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheWrench116
wow once i had the stock stuff off the new stuff went right on. make sure the steel gaskets are not getting in the way. you have all the heat shields out of the way and the dog bone out of the way. so if you tilt the motor and have the intercooler out of the way you should be good to go.
Yeah once I had the stock stuff off everything DIDN'T go on properly. I was able to snake everything out from the top once everything was unbolted and I slid the RV-6 downpipe back down. The issue came in with fitting the downpipe onto the turbo. The flange was not big enough to fit around that little lip. I had to sit there and shave down the inside of the tube a little more to get a proper fit. I measured the stock opening and the RV-6 opening and it was off by a good 1/16th of an inch in diameter which caused the downpipe to sit incorrectly. I even called Rich from RV-6 that day because I was so frustrated taking the stock stuff off and I figured once I had everything off it would be a piece of cake but it wasn't. I also didn't get a call back which is even more frustrating but I got it done because I needed my car.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:42 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
man that would suck if they ran a batch of down pipes with the wrong I.D. ... glad you got it together. i hope you enjoy your hard fought HP and that the benefits out weigh the issues you had installing it.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheWrench116
man that would suck if they ran a batch of down pipes with the wrong I.D. ... glad you got it together. i hope you enjoy your hard fought HP and that the benefits out weigh the issues you had installing it.

Yeah that has to be the case, I mean I doubt that just one downpipe had the wrong I.D. and I doubt that it shrunk sitting in a box under my bed for a year and a half LOL

So far I like it, I definitely feel the difference, only problem is that I'm feeling a bit of rattling when I really push it, make a left turn or the car jerks back hard enough. I hope it's just a heatshield touching something it's not supposed to
Old 09-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Is this really an 8 hour job to remove and install the downpipe? Ouch. And wrench, when you say just tilt the motor, what does that mean? I am not there yet, but just curious on what upgrades I might be able to do myself. One day. Maybe. Thanks all!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hues10
Is this really an 8 hour job to remove and install the downpipe? Ouch. And wrench, when you say just tilt the motor, what does that mean? I am not there yet, but just curious on what upgrades I might be able to do myself. One day. Maybe. Thanks all!
No it should be a 4-6 hour job if you know what you're doing. I just removed the top heatshield and the bottom heatshield, the one around the axle. I didn't have to tilt the engine though
Old 09-03-2015, 04:29 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Hey, I have a couple questions about this downpipe if you don't mind...does anyone know the pipe diameter and outlet size? Also silver or black ceramic coating are those worth it at all? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Believe the inside diameter is a full 3.5in at least up to the cat section. As far as the ceramic coating, the important thing to determine is if it's just that, a coating or actually a true ceramic infused into the metal substrate. The only outfit I'm aware of that does true ceramic thermal coatings is SwainTech out of NY. Check them out at www.swaintech.com. The exhaust piece coating is the white lightning TBC.

I stand to gain nothing from repping them other than driving down costs for consumers, making folks aware of this service, and giving people an option for a true thermal ceramic coating that retains heat in the exhaust piece, reduces underhood temps, and will have incredible durability against flaking or cracking.

I researched this heavily, read countless white papers and real world testimonies, and have seen it yield real world power/torque gains.

Here are some of the results of the white lightning TBC on my manifold, turbine housing, and turbo outlet for my SR20DET in my S14. Another bonus is that you can top coat with temp-rated/VHT colors.

The following users liked this post:
CSmoney28 (09-04-2015)