PCV breather

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
PCV breather

Most tuner's will opt for doing this if they have to replace the PCV hose or not. I figure I'd toss this in here for the people new to the tuning scene or just didn't know about it. I have done this with all my cars, 4th gen prelude, 5th gen prelude, aswell as the RDX.

It won't make a any significant improvement over stock, but it's more for asthestic purposes and to "rebel against the 'Green Nazi' movement" that everyone around here catching like herpes. j/k about the rebelling, not kidding about "Green Nazi's."

I'll use Mau's picture (thanks for doing the write up as well!), he changed his hose and valve in his thread. We'll be capping and re-installing a breather in this one. This is not too difficult to do. I had my son, 10 yrs old, do this under my supervision. It actually took longer to get the stuff than to install.

First off, head to an auto Parts store and ask for a 1/4-1/2 inch breather similiar to the one below.
-- I'd stick with a metal one, plastic and heat aren't too good of friends.

and it doesn't have to be pretty

Second, at the same time pick-up a box of Vacuum caps.
-- The box assortment is the way to go, cheeper I thought at my store.

Once you are home, pull up the hood and find the radiator. The overflow reservoir for the radiator has a clip that needs to be removed. Pull the Reservoir up and over the front of the RDX.

Inbetween the where the reservoir was and the engine there will be a rubber tube that will look like this:

^^^ Reservoir Clip

Pull the rubber PCV line this is the tube that pulls tiny amounts of exhaust off the lower portion of the engine using intake vacuum.

Note: You shouldn't need a replacement valve unless you hacked it up, doing something else.

Please don't mess this up, first, cap (only) the Intake manifold vacuum port. In Mau's pic, that port is under the yellow line marked PCV hose. Use the correct size vacuum cap(real snug fit), use the PVC hose clamp to clamp it off.

Next install the breather element apparatus you selected onto the fitting of the PVC valve. It should be a snug fit, dont worry if it isn't that is why they come with clamps. Insert the breather, cinch down.
--If you pick a breather with a way bigger ID (inside diameter) you will have to make it fit snugly on the fitting. I chose to use another vacuum cap cut the end off so you will have a rubber tube to mount on top of. Take that modified Vacuum cap tube place it on the PCV valve, mount the breather ontop of the modified cap and cinch down.

This is what the finished product looks like for a $16-whatever mod. No CEL either.

Thx!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Another really good thing to come from this that I neglected to mention is that if you choose to dyno with boost monitoring, that the capped off vacuum port can be used for the boost sensor plug.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
why not just hook up an oil catch can?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Copy cat shinobi

You can but the space required for some cylinder sizes but it's possible to relocate it to anothe part of the engine and I'd imagine it's probably more expensive to do it that way. As the breather will be sufficiant to provide a port to atmosphere and the catch can will not need a breather but will flow tiny amounts of exhaust to the IM.

The only thing I was interested in was:
1. The removal of recirclation of exhaust gases. There is another PCV valve on the backside of the engine under the TMIC. It's still hooked up, and draws tiny bits of exhaust from there.

2. If in the event of a person was to hack up their PVC hose that there is an alternative to the $18+ Acura hose and valve pipe. You could go to a parts store and ask for a hose at the given lenght, but I think it gives a different appearence when the engine is opened up.

I don't think at the angle or height of the breather that you'll see more than a fine mist, from the oil sprayers inside the block, in the valve/ breather. With Vacuum applied you may see even more oil or soot from the block in the IM and inwards to the valve, hince your suggestion about the catch can.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 10-12-2010 at 12:50 PM.