Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley

Ok, just wanted to let you all know that i just got my UR Crank Pulley today. I have already bought both Gates belts as well. I will be having it installed this week sometime ASAP. Install is going to cost me $100 but a good shop is doing the install though.

I have posted this thread in hopes that it can benefit TL owners that might be or are currently thinking about getting the UR Crank Pulley. I have listed a few pics of the Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley with both Gates belts you must buy in order to have this pulley installed and working. If your new to this mod you might be wondering what Gates is. Gates is a brand of belt. Unorthodox Racing suggests that you use Gates brand belts with their Pulleys. The reason you will need two new belts is because the UR Crank Pulley is smaller than the stock Crank Pulley and both the Alternator/AC belt & Power Steering Pump belt run on the Crank Pulley. Also, the Gates brand belts can withstand higher speeds since you will have added HP after installing the pulley. You can find a Gates distributor near you by searching for a distributor on Gates web page --> http://www.gates.com/industrial/dist...ocation_id=744
You can buy the UR Ultra S Crank Pulley from the vendor EXCELERATE on this forum for a good price around $170 shipped to your door or from a local performance shop near you. I highly suggest buying from him. I would suggest having a professional shop install the Crank Pulley because of the difficulty involved in getting the bolt off the crank. You will need a breaker bar and what not to get the bolt off since it is one of the tightest bolts on the motor. Once the new UR Crank Pulley is installed the bolt on the crank will have to be torqued back on. If you know what you are doing and have the right tools, then by all means save yourself some money and install it yourself, otherwise have it installed by a professional shop. The benefits of the UR Crank Pulley are better throttle responce, 8 - 10 HP gain, more torque down low in the rpm's and quicker acceleration allowing you to get into V-TEC wayyy quicker. Overall the Crank Pulley is going to give you proven gains. There really are no downsides to the crank pulley from what everyone has stated in the past. Most of the HP gains is because of the UR Crank Pulley being light weight as compared to the stock Crank Pulley that is heavy. The UR Crank Pulley is also smaller then the stock pulley as well which helps to give you the gains. After having the Crank Pulley installed, you will have to wait a full week to really feel the full gains since your TL's computer needs to adjust to the new Crank Pulley and driving habbits. I have listed the following model numbers for both Gates belts you will need for the install of the Crank Pulley.

Gates belts

Alternator/AC belt - K060441 (44 5/8” or 1135MM)
Power Steering belt - K040425 (43 1/8” or 1095MM)

Along with all of this info and pictures i have posted, after i have my pulley installed this week, i will be posting up a video of before and after Acceleration difference with my 99 TL. That will be the next post i make.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. That is a lot of good info in one place.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Pleasure Unit

As a note for others - the higher an engine revs, the more an underdrive pulley (or pulley set) will help. So a 7000rpm motor will see more gains than a 5000rpm one.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

good write up , you should enjoy your next mod
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nice
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Advanced

dvs,
how has your fuel economy changed? I've heard that you get better mileage after install
Old 03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
99TL-p 114K

Talking UR Crank Pulley Installed!!

Ok, back again but this time to let you all know that i just got the UR Crank Pulley installed. My first initial impression of the new UR Crank Pulley now installed in my TL when i drove it home from the shop was not that great at all. My TL felt DIRT SLOW, slower then before when i had the stock crank pulley still in. Yes, im not kidding, i felt slower. Now some of you noobs might be scared away from this mod because of what i just said, DONT WORRY. Unorthodox Racing says you have to wait atleast 5 full days for your TL's computer to adjust to the new smaller and light weight crank pulley that you just put it. ITS NORMAL. A good tip is to reset your TL's computer by disconnecting the battery of your car for 20 minutes and then reconnecting it. This will reset your TL's computer and help it to better recognize the new changes of the new UR crank pulley. Its not gona adjust overnight, you have to give it time such as driving regularly for 5 full days. In adittion to this, when you have your UR crank pulley installed, make sure you leave your wheel lock key in your car because whoever installs it might need to remove the passenger side wheel to get to the crank pulley. The guy that installed mine didnt need to remove the wheel because he was able to get to it just enough by turning the wheel all the way to one side. So that is where i stand currently, im still waiting the 5 full days and then i will come back and write up my 3rd segment to this mod stating the difference the UR Crank Pulley has made on my TL. I will also be posting a compairison video of my gauges showing my TL going from 0-60 with the stock crank pulley and 0-60 with the new UR crank pulley. This will allow you to see the change in the RPM's speed as well as how fast it gets up to speed. The install cost me $100 even and that was from a reputable shop installing it which they did an excellent job. When i left the shop, i took the stock crank pulley with me and i can tell you that THAT BITCH IS HEAVY. Weighs aproximately 9lbs as opposed to the UR Crank Pulley which is just under 2lbs. The stock crank pulley is made of Cast Iron which is heavy as hell. I have posted some pics of the stock crank pulley for future TL owners that are looking into this mod and wondering what the stock one looks like. Its not pretty at all and its rusty lookin as shit.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
great mod, you will love it!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Back in a Type S

I just got my UR crank pulley in this weekend as well. I did not have the same problem as you. My car felt fine after I installed it. At first I didn't see a difference, but as I drove the car more I noticed a little more power through out. VTEC still kicks in at about 5000rpm (that won't change), but it is getting there a lot quicker than before IMO. I think the 5 day thing is based on average daily driving. I've put over 200 miles on my car since I got it installed and I am starting to notice a difference. My stock pulley looked just like in dvsxlt247 pictures. I'm keeping it for whenever I decide to trade my car in. It really is amazing the difference between the stock and UR crank pulley. One more note on the install. Unless you have a lift or the proper tools I recommend that you get a garage/shop to do this particular mod. It took almost an hour to get that bolt off. It was a total PITA! (even with the right tools) If you can get this done for $100 or less it's worth it. My thanks to Josh who owns EXCELERATE on here. He did a great job with the price and the install! Good luck on your pulley dvsxlt247 I will do the same in a few more days and we can compare notes!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I think i may pick one up for my swap
Old 03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Back in a Type S

Actually I have one question about this mod. I've read that you need to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a while. My problem is that I don't have the radio and navi code so I don't want to disconnect it. I tried to get the code from the original dealer and they don't have it recorded. So my only option is to take the radio out so I can get to the back of it to see the serial #...

Sorry, I got of the topic for a sec...So, what happens if I don't reset the ECU. Like I said in my previous post, I'm starting to notice a difference. Am I not going to benefit as well as I could unless I do this reset? OR...will this just adjust 100% over time? Hmmm...Any help will be great!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
Actually I have one question about this mod. I've read that you need to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a while. My problem is that I don't have the radio and navi code so I don't want to disconnect it. I tried to get the code from the original dealer and they don't have it recorded. So my only option is to take the radio out so I can get to the back of it to see the serial #...

Sorry, I got of the topic for a sec...So, what happens if I don't reset the ECU. Like I said in my previous post, I'm starting to notice a difference. Am I not going to benefit as well as I could unless I do this reset? OR...will this just adjust 100% over time? Hmmm...Any help will be great!
I still dont know how resetting the ecu on something thats mechanical like this will make a difference. You should notice the gains immediately due to less weight/mass.

But to answer your question, No its not needed, it will just take longer for the ecu to learn instead of starting from scratch.
Also i would take the radio out and get the serial so that you have that info on hand. 1 day you will need to use it like if your battery dies.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice write up! (And nice shots as usual ) i'm reading diff things about how soon you feel the diff but i'm with ^ on this one. let us know
Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I=X - optomos

Nice!
Here's the instructions per Acura Service Manual

COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
1999 Acura 3.2TL
GENERAL INFORMATION
Computer Relearn Procedures
All Models
* PLEASE READ THIS FIRST *
The following general procedures are to be used if
driveability problems are encountered after power loss or battery has
been disconnected. These procedures may provide an aid in eliminating
these problems.
To reduce the possibility of complaints, after any service
which requires battery power to be disconnected, vehicle should be
road tested.
COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
Vehicles equipped with engine or transmission computers may
require a relearn procedure after vehicle battery is disconnected.
Many vehicle computers memorize and store vehicle operation patterns
for optimum driveability and performance. When vehicle battery is
disconnected, this memory is lost. The computer will use default data
until new data from each key start is stored. As computer memorizes
vehicle operation for each new key start, driveability is restored.
Vehicle computers may memorize vehicles operation patterns for 40 of
more key starts.
Customers often complain of driveability problems during
relearn stage because vehicle acts differently then before being
serviced. Depending on type and make of vehicle and how it is
equipped, the following complaints (driveability problems) may exist:
* Harsh Or Poor Shift Quality
* Rough Or Unstable Idle
* Hesitation Or Stumble
* Rich Or Lean Running
* Poor Fuel Mileage
These symptoms and complaints should disappear after a number
of drive cycles have been memorized. To reduce the possibility of
complaints, after any service which requires battery power to be
disconnected, vehicle should be road tested. If a specific relearn
procedure is not available, the following procedure may be used:
Automatic Transmission
* Set parking brake, start engine in "P" or "N" position.
Warm-up vehicle to normal operating temperature or until
cooling fan cycles.
* Allow vehicle to idle for one minute in "N" position. Select
"D" and allow engine to idle for one minute.
* Accelerate at normal throttle position (20-50%) until vehicle
shifts into top gear.
* Cruise at light to medium throttle.
* Decelerate to a stop, allowing vehicle to downshift, and use
brakes normally.
* Process may be repeated as necessary.
Manual Transmission
* Place transmission in Neutral position.
* Ensure emergency brake has been set and all accessories
are turned off.
* Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
* Allow vehicle to idle in Neutral for one minute.
* Initial relearn is complete: process will be completed during
normal driving.
Some manufacturers identify a specific relearn procedure
which will help establish suitable driveability during relearn stage.
These procedures are especially important if vehicle is equipped with
and electronically controlled automatic transmission or transaxle.
Always complete procedure before returning vehicle to customer.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
dvsxlt247 and ProvidenceLeaf, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it. I hope I can provide the same customer service to the rest of the AZ members.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Back in a Type S

Okay I know dvsxlt247 started this thread, but I wanted to post my results as well since we both got them in stalled a few days ago. If you are thinking about this mod...DO IT! I have put almost 400 + miles on my car since and there is a HUGE difference will the UR crank pulley installed. I did start to notice right away, but I was finally able to open it up on the highway yesterday. WOOHOO! It's amazing how a small mod like this can make such a difference. It gets up to VETC much faster now. I know it is not my imagination. (you know how some people on here exaggerate about gains in here) Normally I can't bake the tires from just flooring it from a dead stop. Well I can now! The added gain is nice and smooth through out. You will enjoy this mod if you do it! Thanks to everyone who helped out with the "Do you have to reset the ECU?" question. The answer is you do not. This should be an immediate gain. The ECU shouldn't have to adjust much, it will figure it out. Once again thanks to Josh at EXCELERATE. If you need this part with installation and you live near Connecticut go see him! He's a good guy with great customer service and great prices. It was nice to meet him. Alright I'm going to enjoy the rest of the nice sunny day that we are having in RI. I almost forgot what it was to be warm and sunny. You'll see me racing up and down 95 like I have a new toy!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Back in the slow lane.

Damn you guys. I knew this new (to me) forum would cost me more money
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Back in the slow lane.

Does installation of this pully affect any factory warranty ?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 AM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by parshooter
Does installation of this pully affect any factory warranty ?
I'm not sure about that. Others know more about that than i.
Oh, and TOMMOROW I WILL BE POSTING THE VIDEO COMPAIRISON RESULTS OF HAVING THE UR CRANK PULLEY IN MY 99TL NOW. BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR IT Tommorow!!! Can't wait to do the final test from 0-60
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless they can prove that the pulley is what caused the problem you are having, no. Moss-Magnuson act, dealers hate it when customers know about this, I had to throw it out once back in the day at an Isuzu dealer when they tried to screw me on repairs for my Rodeo I used to have (it was pretty modded I/H/E, chip)
Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Back in the slow lane.

Any chance of the lighter pulley throwing off any balance to the crank. If so, could that cause excessive wear on the crank bearings?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

if you buy the UR Crank you will have no issues
Old 03-09-2006, 11:40 AM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by parshooter
Any chance of the lighter pulley throwing off any balance to the crank. If so, could that cause excessive wear on the crank bearings?
OMG, did you even bother paying any attention to my write up at the very beginning of this thread. I even stated the reason why i was posting it, SO IT COULD BENEFIT AND HELP NOOBS OR OTHER TL OWNERS THAT ARE INTERESTED IN THIS MOD. THE UR CRANK PULLEY IS PERFECTLY SAFE. I JUST HAD MINE INSTALLED LIKE I SAID PREVIOUSLY AND ITS BEAUTIFUL. YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS AND NO IT WILL NOT THROW OFF ANY BALANCE ON THE CRANK. IT GOES ON, STAYS ON, SPINS REALLY FAST, WILL NOT BREAK, IS SOOOO MUCH LIGHTER, AND ITS NOT GONA CAUSE YOUR ELECTRICAL IN YOUR CAR TO BE ANY LOWER OR ANYTHING. EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL IN YOUR CAR WILL OPERATE EXACTLY THE SAME AFTER ITS INSTALLED. OK. NEXT TIME YOU COME INTO A THREAD LIKE THIS ONE, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE WRITE UP. I CLEARLY EXPLAIN BASICALLY ALL THE MAIN THINGS ABOUT IT AND THAT ITS WORTH GETTING. its ok though, your a noob so ill let this one slide lmao.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Back in the slow lane.

Calm down man. No where in your intial post did you mention ANYTHING about crank balance or bearings. My question is geared toward those that know about the mechanics of the crank and bearings. I did find more information about this on another thread.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

I have read those posts as well, and there are people that have had them on for thousands and thousands of miles and have never had an issue. What it comes down to for the people that say you may have a problem is that there is no definte evidence that you will have a problem as a result of putting the pulley on, assuming it was installed correctly. Any mod you do may cause a problem, that is just the nature of it. You put a icebox in and you run the risk of hydrolock if you go through a really, really deep puddle. There is a negative to every mod if you really look at it.

I just bought the unorthodox pulley yesterday and plan on putting it on, I have no worries about this, if you do just make sure you keep the stock crank pulley and if you feel that the new pulley may be causing a problem throw the stock one back on before you take it to the dealer.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Back in a Type S

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
I have read those posts as well, and there are people that have had them on for thousands and thousands of miles and have never had an issue. What it comes down to for the people that say you may have a problem is that there is no definte evidence that you will have a problem as a result of putting the pulley on, assuming it was installed correctly. Any mod you do may cause a problem, that is just the nature of it. You put a icebox in and you run the risk of hydrolock if you go through a really, really deep puddle. There is a negative to every mod if you really look at it.

I just bought the unorthodox pulley yesterday and plan on putting it on, I have no worries about this, if you do just make sure you keep the stock crank pulley and if you feel that the new pulley may be causing a problem throw the stock one back on before you take it to the dealer.

Very well stated!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I need 2 more gears

the stock crank pulley isn't on a harmonic balancer anyways so putting on a new lighter crank pulley will cause no ill effects. I've had mine on for a good 5k miles or more and nothing but good things have come from this mod.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2003TL-S

i think he was kinda worried about snapping a crank its kinda difficult to install the stock pulley back on the car when the crank is snaped. and chances are is that his warranty is prob past.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
got the pulley on about a week ago and this is when you feel the difference: when your daily driving foot, which usually puts you at @ 80 on the freeway puts you @ 95 lol.

i think you normalize to the pulley and you find your daily driver foot back @ 80-85 anyway lol

still a worthy mod
Old 03-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Back in the slow lane.

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
got the pulley on about a week ago and this is when you feel the difference: when your daily driving foot, which usually puts you at @ 80 on the freeway puts you @ 95 lol.

i think you normalize to the pulley and you find your daily driver foot back @ 80-85 anyway lol
But you can say that about any modification.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I need 2 more gears

ur pulley rocks, just get one if you want a safe, reliable mod with great bang for the buck!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
99TL-p 114K

Well, i did do the video compairisons but i was unhappy with the results. With the pully on only showed me getting to 60 just a few tenths of a second quicker then when i didnt have it. So i got lazy and didnt really have any motivation after that to post the video compairison cuz then everyone would be like WTF, thats IT, thats as much as it improved??? Truth is that thats all it really helped was get me to 60 just a smige faster. whatever, i think this mod shows its results best when on the highway and you get a faster overall speed throughout your rpm's. Idk, atleast thats what i feel when already at a constant moving speed on the highway its easier for the engine to excellearte at a high speed already.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Well, i did do the video compairisons but i was unhappy with the results. With the pully on only showed me getting to 60 just a few tenths of a second quicker then when i didnt have it. So i got lazy and didnt really have any motivation after that to post the video compairison cuz then everyone would be like WTF, thats IT, thats as much as it improved??? Truth is that thats all it really helped was get me to 60 just a smige faster. whatever, i think this mod shows its results best when on the highway and you get a faster overall speed throughout your rpm's. Idk, atleast thats what i feel when already at a constant moving speed on the highway its easier for the engine to excellearte at a high speed already.
A few tenths of a second is a lot...especially 0-60
Old 03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Back in a Type S

Originally Posted by TLsu
A few tenths of a second is a lot...especially 0-60
A few tenths is a big deal...

i think this mod shows its results best when on the highway and you get a faster overall speed throughout your rpm's. Idk, atleast thats what i feel when already at a constant moving speed on the highway its easier for the engine to excellearte at a high speed already.
That is the best point...power through out is what makes the pulley a great mod! (at least I think so when I mash it!)
Old 03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I need 2 more gears

After driving around for a while you will notice that the pulley helps mid-range acceleration out a ton. for instance being behind a slow moving car doing 40mph in a 55 then passing that person you will feel the gain the most IMO. Your car will jerk you back and you will feel it pulling like never before. low-end acceleration is a little better too. I honestly feel that going for I/H/P together makes an enormous difference, each doing there part to complement each other.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Back in the slow lane.

Could you repeat that in English please.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. A few tenths of a second is a huge difference for a part that only increases HP by less than 4%. A TL normally runs 0-60 in about 7.4 seconds so a 4% improvement only gets you to 7.1. Im surprised you saw more than a tenth of a second difference. I bet the quarter mile time probably only drops about 3/10 of a second

Think about how much horsepower it takes to gain a half second in the quarter mile. A Type S runs the quarter in about half second faster and it has almost 35 hp more than the stock TL. A 2001 BMW M5 has 100 HP more than the 540i and the difference in the quarter mile is only .8 seconds.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Back in the slow lane.

Originally Posted by flydog
I agree. A few tenths of a second is a huge difference for a part that only increases HP by less than 4%. A TL normally runs 0-60 in about 7.4 seconds so a 4% improvement only gets you to 7.1. Im surprised you saw more than a tenth of a second difference. I bet the quarter mile time probably only drops about 3/10 of a second

Think about how much horsepower it takes to gain a half second in the quarter mile. A Type S runs the quarter in about half second faster and it has almost 35 hp more than the stock TL. A 2001 BMW M5 has 100 HP more than the 540i and the difference in the quarter mile is only .8 seconds.
So what is your point ?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

I think he just means that for about $200 that you're gonna spend, for at least a couple tenths this is a very good mod, and I agree. I can't wait to see what it does to my type-S when I put it on!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The point is obvious if you can read without moving your lips. A few tenths of a second is on par with what should be expected from a $200 part that only adds 7-10 hp.

Quick Reply: Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley