The Multiple Benefits of Owning an HDS/HIM Tool - Everything You Need to Know

Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Thumbs up The Multiple Benefits of Owning an HDS/HIM Tool - Everything You Need to Know

What is an HDS tool?

HDS stands for Honda Diagnostic System and is the software that Honda uses for diagnosing/managing higher level engine components and systems such as fuel, SRS, CKP, etc.

Traditionally OBDII scanners do not allow this level of functionality. In order to run this software to communicate with your vehicle, you must have an HIM (Honda Interface Module). Think of the HIM as a foreign language translator between you and your car.

So what I can do with it?

Well, I've found multiple uses in only the couple days of owning it.

-Syncing ODS (occupant detection system) and SWS (seat weight sensors) with my car after doing my interior swap and eliminating my airbag lights
-Relearning my CKP pattern (crankshaft position). This is a required step after doing the 105k service that most people skip over.
-Adjusting and initializing my ZDX 3.7 throttle body with my vehicle. More on this later.
-Diagnosing some electrical mirror actuator problems
-Completely clearing my ECM with the push of a button and not having to pull the battery cable for 10+ minutes
-Diagnosing bad TPMS sensors
-Monitoring knock

So How I Get Started?

Easy. You need to pick up one of the cheap Ebay units such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111085500209...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I picked this one up. Software version is irrelevant because you can find and download nearly any version of the software. The above comes with 2.027 which what I used and worked for me.

Next, you need to check and see if your computer has an RS232(serial) port. If it does, this will be very plug and play for you. If it doesn't, you're going to have to pick up an RS232 to USB adapter to communicate with the HIM.

I picked up this one:
Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

You're not quite there yet. You're going to have to change the communication protocol to COM1. By default it will either be COM5 or COM6 unless those ports are already being used by another device on your computer.

Start by going to the Device Manager. Once there do the following:
Expand the Ports ‘(COM& LPT)’

You should be looking at something like this:

Right click on the device and click on ‘Properties’.

Click on ‘Port Settings’. Then click on ‘Advanced…’.

Once you’re in ‘Advanced Settings for COM10’ on the bottom you can see the ‘COM Port Number: COM10’. Click on that to change it to COM1

You must complete this step in order to connect with the HIM. Everything else is very plug and play and you should be able to connect to your HIM unit and vehicle with no problem. Once the HIM connects to your vehicle, you're going to be prompted with a vehicle information screen that asks you to enter your mileage and a R.O. Number. R.O. Number stands for Repair Order number. You can enter ANY 6 digit number and it will work.
The following 7 users liked this post by JJH:
Bricktop (11-14-2017), EvilVirus (10-31-2013), hughesurdaddy (04-19-2018), IIDXholic (03-05-2014), josiahmgillespie (06-02-2021), mzilvar (10-20-2013), rubenders (10-20-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
JJH
Drifting

Why you NEED to own an HDS if you've got the 3.7L throttle body.

The HDS allows you to calibrate new throttle bodies specifically for your vehicle. Before having this calibration, I had parking lot bucking, very touchy pedal, inconsistent idle return when coming to a stop (car would go down to 1200RPMs and then 750RPMs), and shifting felt like shit because of the exaggerated rev hang caused by the throttle body.

After adjusting the throttle body, all of these problems disappeared and the car drives/shifts/sounds like it should. I hated how the car sounded in between shifts with the exaggerated rev hang.

Short and simple, you're going to adjust the idle screw found on top of the throttle body while monitoring the "data lists" variables in the HDS found under the PGMFI menu. 3.7 throttle position sensor A value should read .90-.92 by default. You need to turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise until that voltage drops to .88. After doing so, you're going to run two different calibration/inspection procedures found in the same PGMFI menu. Your problems should disappear after this.

If you have more questions specifically pertaining to this, just ask in the thread. I didn't get into super specific details.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJH:
DomGSR-T (10-19-2013), rubenders (10-20-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 10:34 AM
JJH
Drifting

HDS and SRS Lights

For the last 2 months, I was baffled why I had SRS lights after doing my interior swap from vehicle to vehicle. I had swapped the OPDS modules as many suggested and not turned on the key in my vehicle and had the battery unplugged. I didn't think I was ever going to figure it out.

Turns out that our cars not only have an ODS (occupant detection system) module that is individually synced to one cars ECU, they also have a SWS (seat weight sensor) system that is synced too. I only swapped the ODS. I'm not even sure where the SWS system is to be honest, I know it's in the passenger seat somewhere though.

When I plugged in the HIM tool, I received 81-71 code which said SWS not initialized. I simply had to follow the on screen instructions to sync the SWS and my airbag lights disappeared and haven't came back! It was that simple.
The following users liked this post:
rubenders (10-20-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 AM
JJH
Drifting

For the sanity of others, I hope a mod adds this to the 3G garage. It would have saved me hours of mind numbness.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
nice work man, good stuff.
JJH (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow nice work! Quick question, After a complete TB calibration, what if I upload a new map with the flashpro? Will this erase the TB calibration everytime a new map is uploaded?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 PM
JJH
Drifting

That's a good question. Gerzand and I did this same calibration on his car with FlashPro. Since the Throttle position voltage is mechanically adjusted by the screw, I think it would still benefit you. I don't know how the calibration will interact with FlashPro maps though. He hasn't had a chance to drive his car yet to see if there is a difference.
thisaznboi88 (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard this would be able to unlock the governor as well? It's not like I want to go past it, I just don't like my car being restricted when it doesn't need to be....
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by vietkid_2006
I heard this would be able to unlock the governor as well? It's not like I want to go past it, I just don't like my car being restricted when it doesn't need to be....
Not sure since my car doesn't have a governor
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Not sure since my car doesn't have a governor
Type-S's don't?!

What about the Base TL?

I have a 2008 Accord lol
Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Would this be able to disable the SRS light altogether? I swapped seats and they don't have airbags. As such, I get the SRS light no matter what....
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 PM
performace tl-s

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DomGSR-T
Wow nice work! Quick question, After a complete TB calibration, what if I upload a new map with the flashpro? Will this erase the TB calibration everytime a new map is uploaded?
no it wong .
JJH (10-20-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
performace tl-s

Originally Posted by losiglow
Would this be able to disable the SRS light altogether? I swapped seats and they don't have airbags. As such, I get the SRS light no matter what....
there is only one thing that the hds will let you desable is the ingector .if you dasable the ingector with the hds and close the program and turn off the car it wong start till you go back with the hds and enable the ingectors .
JJH (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 AM
JJH
Drifting

Big thanks to rubenders for helping me out with much of this process from getting the correct HDS and actually calibrating my throttle body.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 AM
performace tl-s

Originally Posted by JJH
What is an HDS tool?

HDS stands for Honda Diagnostic System and is the software that Honda uses for diagnosing/managing higher level engine components and systems such as fuel, SRS, CKP, etc.

Traditionally OBDII scanners do not allow this level of functionality. In order to run this software to communicate with your vehicle, you must have an HIM (Honda Interface Module). Think of the HIM as a foreign language translator between you and your car.

So what I can do with it?

Well, I've found multiple uses in only the couple days of owning it.

-Syncing ODS (occupant detection system) and SWS (seat weight sensors) with my car after doing my interior swap and eliminating my airbag lights
-Relearning my CKP pattern (crankshaft position). This is a required step after doing the 105k service that most people skip over.
-Adjusting and initializing my ZDX 3.7 throttle body with my vehicle. More on this later.
-Diagnosing some electrical mirror actuator problems
-Completely clearing my ECM with the push of a button and not having to pull the battery cable for 10+ minutes
-Diagnosing bad TPMS sensors
-Monitoring knock

So How I Get Started?

Easy. You need to pick up one of the cheap Ebay units such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111085500209...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I picked this one up. Software version is irrelevant because you can find and download nearly any version of the software. The above comes with 2.027 which what I used and worked for me.

Next, you need to check and see if your computer has an RS232(serial) port. If it does, this will be very plug and play for you. If it doesn't, you're going to have to pick up an RS232 to USB adapter to communicate with the HIM.

I picked up this one: Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

You're not quite there yet. You're going to have to change the communication protocol to COM1. By default it will either be COM5 or COM6 unless those ports are already being used by another device on your computer.

Start by going to the Device Manager. Once there do the following:
Expand the Ports ‘(COM& LPT)’

You should be looking at something like this:

Right click on the device and click on ‘Properties’.

Click on ‘Port Settings’. Then click on ‘Advanced…’.

Once you’re in ‘Advanced Settings for COM10’ on the bottom you can see the ‘COM Port Number: COM10’. Click on that to change it to COM1

You must complete this step in order to connect with the HIM. Everything else is very plug and play and you should be able to connect to your HIM unit and vehicle with no problem. Once the HIM connects to your vehicle, you're going to be prompted with a vehicle information screen that asks you to enter your mileage and a R.O. Number. R.O. Number stands for Repair Order number. You can enter ANY 6 digit number and it will work.
one other thing if you dont know is maintenance record .if you go to body electrical maintenance it give you the history of all the maintenance done on that car base on maintenance minder history .tpms you ask me if you can change the pressure threchhold ( yes) but not to what ever psi you wan to do dont know if this apply for track tires but on every tire there is a 7 to 10 digit number and letters that you input in the the tpms and it generate the psi threchhold base on the number that you input .
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM
performace tl-s

like jjh wrote on the firts post if you are one of the du it your self guys you need to invest in this it will save you money on trobleshooting and or initialising any any component .if you invest and you need some clue on how to trobleshoot any component pm me i can help you i have the 07 -08 tl trobleshooting guide . and thanks to jjh for putting this togather .
JJH (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Big thanks to rubenders for helping me out with much of this process from getting the correct HDS and actually calibrating my throttle body.
Are you using your original MAP sensor or the MAP sensor that came with the ZDX throttle body? I'm in the process of doing this, was meaning to pick up a HDS for a while.

I thought people had mostly, if not all of the way, fixed the bucking problems by using the MAP sensor that was on the new throttle body and grinding the tabs down?

I'd still find it really useful.

Is that link you provided the exact one you purchased? I was hesitant in the past to pick one up due to all the chinese knock-off crap and didn't want to buy one and then have something that didn't work.

Sent a PM about the software lol..
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Are you using your original MAP sensor or the MAP sensor that came with the ZDX throttle body? I'm in the process of doing this, was meaning to pick up a HDS for a while.

I thought people had mostly, if not all of the way, fixed the bucking problems by using the MAP sensor that was on the new throttle body and grinding the tabs down?

I'd still find it really useful.

Is that link you provided the exact one you purchased? I was hesitant in the past to pick one up due to all the chinese knock-off crap and didn't want to buy one and then have something that didn't work.

Sent a PM about the software lol..
Yes, that is the exact one that I purchased. The software is the main concern. The HIM either works or it doesn't work.

I swapped my MAP sensor from my 3.5 to my 3.7 and I still had the same problems that I described above. I never had a chance to drive with the 3.7 map sensor. I didn't like how the car ran before proper adjustment.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The HIM interface is outdated to say the least. there have been multiple changes in honda interface since the HIM(HIM was used until 04-05 when the HDS Tablet was released). the HIM is incredibly slow and struggles with f-can/B-can communication due to the speed of transfer needed, and with HDS version 3 software out now it pretty much makes older versions obsolete.

One thing to know about HDS software is that is is constantly updated by Honda to fix issues in the software. Updates used to come via CD, with the introduction of GEN3 HDS software, all updates are downloaded directly form the Honda Interactive network.

Another issues i've seen is ECM/PCM damage, improper idle learn, ghost coding, among others.

CKP/CMP learn is not needed on the 105k service. only time its needed is if cam/crank sensors are replaced, unplugged for extended periods of time, issues with cam/crank phasing. Honda puts that step in everything as they do with disconnection of negative battery cable as the first step in every repair.

not saying it's not an option to use but i'd be weary of bad software versions.

Were are now on version 3.002.08..

Last edited by fabricator; 10-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fabricator:
bigwavedave25 (11-21-2017), EvilVirus (10-31-2013), flexer (11-15-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 AM
performace tl-s

Originally Posted by fabricator
The HIM interface is outdated to say the least. there have been multiple changes in honda interface since the HIM(HIM was used until 04-05 when the HDS Tablet was released). the HIM is incredibly slow and struggles with f-can/B-can communication due to the speed of transfer needed, and with HDS version 3 software out now it pretty much makes older versions obsolete.

One thing to know about HDS software is that is is constantly updated by Honda to fix issues in the software. Updates used to come via CD, with the introduction of GEN3 HDS software, all updates are downloaded directly form the Honda Interactive network.

Another issues i've seen is ECM/PCM damage, improper idle learn, ghost coding, among others.

CKP/CMP learn is not needed on the 105k service. only time its needed is if cam/crank sensors are replaced, unplugged for extended periods of time, issues with cam/crank phasing. Honda puts that step in everything as they do with disconnection of negative battery cable as the first step in every repair.

Good info here . I think for guys like us (hmi) hds Is a good option
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 AM
JJH
Drifting

I wasn't aware of these issues so thank you for letting me know. I guess as with any mod, there is always an implied risk. My thoughts behind you saying that the software is old is so are our cars. Our cars are 6 + years old and this was all that was available at that time. This fixed a few different issues for me that had been bugging me and something I would have paid the dealership an hour of labor to fix for me.

As for the CKP relearn, I was just following the service manual procedure. I can definitely see the danger of using this with such a slow data connection. This is the same reason that Hondata didn't release FlashPro for the 04-05 crowd.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 AM
JJH
Drifting

P.S - If anyone is weary of getting bad software versions, you can rent the software DIRECTLY from Honda for $10/day.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

http://estore.honda.com/service-expr...scriptions.asp
jauman (11-04-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JJH
I wasn't aware of these issues so thank you for letting me know. I guess as with any mod, there is always an implied risk. My thoughts behind you saying that the software is old is so are our cars. Our cars are 6 + years old and this was all that was available at that time. This fixed a few different issues for me that had been bugging me and something I would have paid the dealership an hour of labor to fix for me.

As for the CKP relearn, I was just following the service manual procedure. I can definitely see the danger of using this with such a slow data connection. This is the same reason that Hondata didn't release FlashPro for the 04-05 crowd.

Thanks again.
no problem! just sharing my experience professionally with this set-up. my comments weren't meant to stray anyone from using these by any means. sometimes i think i come off that way unintentionally.

It's true that this was around when our cars (3rd gen) came out but honda has always had a problem with the cars being smarter than the diagnostic software to monitor them with.

In the past 7 years iv'e seen 4 changes in how we diagnose honda/acura systems. it's been frustrating to say the least.

I think they have finally got it! I hope. If anyone has questions regarding software or usage of the system don't hesitate to ask.
The following 3 users liked this post by fabricator:
DomGSR-T (10-20-2013), EvilVirus (10-31-2013), rubenders (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM
performace tl-s

no problem! just sharing my experience professionally with this set-up. my comments weren't meant to stray anyone from using these by any means. sometimes i think i come off that way unintentionally.

It's true that this was around when our cars (3rd gen) came out but honda has always had a problem with the cars being smarter than the diagnostic software to monitor them with.

In the past 7 years iv'e seen 4 changes in how we diagnose honda/acura systems. it's been frustrating to say the least.

I think they have finally got it! I hope. If anyone has questions regarding software or usage of the system don't hesitate to ask.
Sometimes the software stop working and I have to restart the program.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
can you use this to reprogram the ECU for new keys?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 PM
JJH
Drifting

Yes, but you're going to have to find a Honda tech kind enough to provide you with his information. Version 2.027 and above connects to the Honda mothership for verification purposes.
thisaznboi88 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

oo nice. I should know a few people. Planning on doing flashpro with the TL ecu on my accord. So yeah... lol
JJH (10-20-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
I couldnt imagine modding the TL without some sort of access from these tools. Luckily I work at a Honda dealer with some really good techs but anyone who has just more than a few bolt ons should consider doing this to keep everything running nice and smooth.
JJH (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
JJH
Drifting

Agreed! There is a pretty large information deficit about this topic across the net with various Honda forums where you would think it would be something more widely talked about.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for all the information, I think I might just get one since I want to reprogram the new ECU, and I want to resync some new keys. That is itself pretty much paid for the until already.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the cheap HIM from ebay work with newer Acuras? I have a 2014 MDX, and I'd like to install the remote start myself, but it looks like I need HDS to setup the remotes.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

check out alibaba.com for the device. It was 85+ 30 DHL shipping from china.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrettE
Will the cheap HIM from ebay work with newer Acuras? I have a 2014 MDX, and I'd like to install the remote start myself, but it looks like I need HDS to setup the remotes.

Thanks,
Brett
No it will not. your 14 MDX requires 3rd generation HDS software version 3.001.00 or higher. older 2nd gen(HDS tablet and HIM module) cannot handle the
can bus systems in the newr MDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by fabricator:
bigwavedave25 (11-21-2017), JJH (11-02-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
subd
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. So I take it that we shouldn't use this with the 8th gen Accords either? They have the CANBUS OBDII interface.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Firstly, HDS does so much more than what's been named and unless you do lots of mods that require programming/relearn/calibration, it's not worth the $1000+ required to run the setup.

You can buy a Launch X431 that does everything the HDS software plus more with nearly all other makes/models at less than half that cost on eBay. HDS is great for conversions/swaps that require security and immobilizer programming and that's about it. It's an easily duplicated software and today there are about a dozen company's that have replicated it almost perfectly.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by yungone501
Firstly, HDS does so much more than what's been named and unless you do lots of mods that require programming/relearn/calibration, it's not worth the $1000+ required to run the setup....
Huh? Where are you getting $1000+ from?
maharajamd (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by yungone501
Firstly, HDS does so much more than what's been named and unless you do lots of mods that require programming/relearn/calibration, it's not worth the $1000+ required to run the setup.

You can buy a Launch X431 that does everything the HDS software plus more with nearly all other makes/models at less than half that cost on eBay. HDS is great for conversions/swaps that require security and immobilizer programming and that's about it. It's an easily duplicated software and today there are about a dozen company's that have replicated it almost perfectly.
Wahhhhhhh?

$128=/=$1000+

I'm well aware of what the software does as I have spent hours with it I only listed applicable uses for our vehicles. For people like me who:

1) Needed to calibrate the throttle body
2) Had (2) separate vehicles with SRS lights for unknown reasons(would have cost me a diagnostic fee for both vehicles and then the calibration for the seat weight sensors for both vehicles)

This has already paid for itself. I would have paid $200+ to get the SRS system diagnosed and wouldn't have the ability to calibrate my throttle body and the vast amount of other things that I'm able to do. It's awesome for enthusiasts like myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJH:
rubenders (11-06-2013), thisaznboi88 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

you can get it from here for ~100

http://www.alibaba.com/
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
The SRS system carries a lifetime warranty, fyi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Multiple Benefits of Owning an HDS/HIM Tool - Everything You Need to Know