M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
But that's a reason...you got a new love.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Jeremy, he was trying to keep the TL as NA...

he tried Nitrous if I remember right, he also tried WMI....

I might shoot him an email today...
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Shoot him, baby...shoot him!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Do it!

And I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. I pulled my steering wheel guts out. Airbag included... But now I'm left with this huge gaping hole in my steering wheel. Looks like crap. I tried a Styrofoam block that I shaped to fit, but it squeeks every time I hit a bump. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM

LMAO...yeah, get a racing steering wheel and hub.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Instructor

I have other projects eating my money. So I don't want to spend $$ on the TL
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 AM

The wheels and hub should not be more than 200 bucks...with that said, Inaccurate did mention a while back that lightweight wheel is almost the same weight as the OEM steering without the airbag....

can you put some cardboard on the edges to avoid squeaking?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

I'd rather just have the gaping hole...
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by laid67
Do it!

And I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. I pulled my steering wheel guts out. Airbag included... But now I'm left with this huge gaping hole in my steering wheel. Looks like crap. I tried a Styrofoam block that I shaped to fit, but it squeeks every time I hit a bump. Anyone have any ideas?
How much did you lose with this? I've thought about it but I've been hesitant to mess too much with airbags - beyond losing the ones in the seats when I swapped those out.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I'd rather just have the gaping hole...
I like the squeaking and the creaking
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Probably lost about 6lbs... But I like the feel of the lighter wheel... The hole I don't really mind, but I believe it is illegal in CA to tamper with an airbag system... And the gaping hole in my steering wheel makes it blareingly obvious. 200 is not to bad though. I'm surprised.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM

well I was looking at the NRG steering wheel since I have their seatbelt and harness....the steering wheel's were about 100-125 and the hubs were about 75-100, so yes about 200 for the whole deal
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random thought to revive a thread.

Nitrogen in the tires.... Nitrogen is slighty (ever so) lighter than air.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM

So are farts. At least mine...
The following users liked this post:
D's Up (11-26-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by laid67
Do it!

Why not just use a horn button, that is what the hole is for.

Don't forget to shave all your hair off, it weighs a few grams.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I am glad to see fellow TL'ers shedding a few pounds.

As such, I feel compelled to share the following information with you.

Do Not use the Butt Dynometer to measure the performance improvements from your TL Diet.

There is a weird, inexplicable phenomenon that happens with the TL Diet. I can not explain how or why this phenomenon occurs! But from my experiences with removing weight from my car (from small chunks to big chunks), the phenomenon is real.

Let's begin by describing a Butt Dynometer. This is the amount of g-force that you feel against your human body. You just added that G-Wiz powerbooster to your car, and you take a test ride. You are judging the performance increase by if the car accelerates "harder". In other words, you are looking (feeling) for an increase in g-force against your human body during acceleration.

With the TL Diet, the OPPOSITE will occur!!! You will feel LESS g-force. You will feel less g-force during acceleration, braking, and cornering.

WTF ??? Right, this is the same reaction that I had and still do have. So, let me repeat...."I can not explain how or why this phenomenon occurs !" But to me, the phenomenon is real. This phenomenon is what I had come to love about the TL Diet and I am currently addicted to this feeling.

After removing as much weight as I have from my TL, I feel (perceive) nearly no g-forces against my body during WOT, full ABS-engaged braking, and drifting thru turns. Don't get me wrong. The car and my body are encountering a lot of g-force...but I don't feel it in the slightest. When I brake hard (near ABS engagement), I see the seat belts in the empty passenger seat fly forward and stay suspended in the air as if a ghost is holding the straps away from the seat... but I don't feel the braking force in my body. I release the brakes, the straps fall back into the seat, and I feel nothing in my body. It is a surreal experience. I have no perception of the car experiencing the g-force either. The car does not nose-dive or misbehave in any way. I have no perception that the brakes are in ABS other than the pulsing pedal. You say "perhaps your car is too light to grab the road." LOL.... nope, that is not the answer to this phenomenon. I DO see the speedometer drop like you unplugged it and I see my surrounding come to halt in a surreal fashion. I do see any loose objects in the car began to magically fly in the air. I even had to pin open my sunroof shade so that it would not slam closed from the braking. But, I have no sensation of my body being thrown forward from the braking, nor do I feel that the car is experiencing that force either. I sometimes change lanes while ABS is engaged. No problem, no drama, no stress. It feels very comfortable with no g-force disturbing your concentration.

The same applies with cornering and acceleration too. I perceive nearly no g-force. I have purposely drifted thru corners just to test the car's limits. I have no perception of the g-force. The car does not lean (no body roll) and surprising the car has no yaw (front and rear slide equally and at the sametime). I only discover that I had been slightly drifting after the tires grab again and I feel a slight shake (re-gained traction). But, I feel nothing in my body indicating the g-force and I feel nothing thru the steering wheel (not like you are abusing the car to make it corner too fast). I suppose this is what people mean when describing any light car as "toss-able".

With the two examples above, I have attempted to illustrate how you will feel less g-force with the TL Diet. So please don't use the conventional Butt Dyno to evaluate your weight-reduction mods.

Here is another interesting point to show how bewildering, perplexing and baffling that this phenomenon is. On weekends, I drive the wife's 2003 Acura RL. That car is HEAVY compared to my car. When I drive the RL, I notice the heavy weight immediately, even as I pull-out from the driveway. While driving the RL, I apply brakes and I feel the massiveness refusing to slow down. I apply throttle, and I feel the massiveness preventing the acceleration. I take a turn, and I feel like a sea captain steering a boat. Strangely, I do feel a lot of g-force compared to my car !!! I feel a lot of g-force in the RL during normal braking, normal corning, and normal acceleration. Go figure...... How in the hell does someone explain that....

This is why I am addicted to the TL Diet. I have come to love this "lack of g-force" feeling. The car will eagerly do amazing feats, and I hear myself and the car say "What?....ain't no big thing".

In conclusion, please look for a reduction in inertia when judging your TL Diet mods. Do Not look for an increase in g-force. The car should become more toss-able in turns. You should begin to wait longer before applying your brakes. And to judge the acceleration, look for how far behind the other traffic is based upon the given amount of throttle that you applied. Do not use the sensation of g-force... it won't be there... and that is a good thing.

P.S. – I see other people experiencing this phenomenon very frequently when they get the UR Pulley. Most people comment that after they installed the UR Pulley that the car does Not feel faster (Butt Dyno) but they very much notice how quickly the engine pulls thru the gears. And, they rightfully conclude that the car must be faster because the RPM raise show much quicker. This is the phenomenon manifesting itself. IMO, the gains from the UR Pulley in not from any HP gains, but instead the gains from the UR Pulley are from the loss of rotating mass.

Cheers
This is a great post. Very well written. It makes total sense! Thank you.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:43 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile hello

heres a cool video of real time racing. very similar to what are cars are capable of.
tsx v6. pretty similar to 4 gen TL. More so the type s automatic.would love to follow inaccurate guide to weight loss. and take it further by paying out the ass for carbon fiber hood.gut out the doors. lexan/plexi the windows.shave as much as i can from the trunk lid.i know real time racing has been gutting fwd acuras for years and frankly.... beating all their competition.a 2500lb 260whp acura tl on racing coilvers is a good bet in the twisties and road racing.i know for a fact the 2700lb 300+whp real time racing tsx v6 had fun. it won another championship while doing it and never broke down in the process.to bad inaccurate left. though i see other guys putting in that work.only thing that ever bothered me.was the unnecessary static and dynamic comparison.can you imagine the civic guys catching on to this trend.''gutted myz civic ladst weenkend brah. flush lyfe dawg. sheet weighs 1900lbs, bur u no reely dat means itds 1500lbs. cause of inertia, and myz rymz, and coilovers''.....'' cuz mhy car weighs 1500lbs and dynoz 170whp out my b18c.... really dat equates to 240hp dooood! wooo hoooo!!!!!"uhhhh no your vtakkk makes 170whp.your car with you in it weights 2100lbs.innacurate your the man. but your car made a claimed 250whp(other guys with mods similar to his made 230-240). and weighed 2760. both very good. no need for 360whp claims. a (acura tsx v6) 300whp fwd acura sedan that weighs 2700lbs before driver with a auto transmission was able to win full manufacturers championship against STEEP competitors.
94Auto (08-02-2021)
Old 11-15-2015, 12:15 PM
7th Gear

Smile video 2

to put this ride along in perspective 2700lbs tsx v6 before driver. full racing coilovers. various racing suspension parts. MUCH MORE OEM SUSPENSION PARTS THAN YOU'D THINK. Peter has said time and time again Acura comes with well designed suspensions from the factory.300+whp. custom automatic gearbox. peter cunningham owner real time racing driving the car. for tl crowd. take a tl type s/4g tl perferably manual. follow TL diet. Find a way to get to 2700lbs. bc racing coilovers. all the bolt ons with or without a tune- 240whp to 280 and 300+whp depending on if 3.2 or 3.5. aftermarket sway bars. strut towers. light 17's or 18's. good brake set up. pretty damn close to a manufactures winning race car. especially if you go 6mt tl type s 2700lbs 300+whp, full suspension, gutted doors, plexi/lexan. light 18'' weight rims.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM
7th Gear

video 3 last one i could find

Here the realtime racing team member is talking about similar the street and racing cars are. keep in mind the realtime tsx v6 obviously used a roll cage and various chasis reinforcement so when theyre using penske shocks or equivalents, the frame isnt bending. And the realtime racing guys are dialing in that suspension. The tsx v6 beat out factory backed BMW M3, Nissan 370Z, Mitsubishi Evo, Audi TT, Porsche Cayman S and 996, plus a pair of factory-backed turbocharged Kia Optima slew of Mustangs and Chevrolet Camaros to win 2012 and 2013 world challenge championships. Now that the 4g acura tl and tl type s can be had for reasonable amounts i really hope we see more gutted tl race cars. the more i ponder the more i become infected with the notion of a 2600 to 2700lbs/ 270whp to 300whp 4g tl or tl type s on racing coilovers. IM AFRAID MY DISEASE HATH BEGUN. I'm already looking at a salvage title 2007 type s for 11500. And theres a 2005 6mt tl with 89000 miles for 8700 just a 400 mile trip away..... hmm
Old 11-15-2015, 01:36 PM
7th Gear

cant get over a family sedan fwd v6 acura dominating like that. looks good im out. going to buy a tl in next few days im hooked. ill gut it. install suspension. post pics. buy every bolt on that i can install myself. gut car some more. post pics. save for lexan and plexi. take to track. post video. the siccness is alive.
Attached Thumbnails M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-image002.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 AM

and welcome...looking forward to it...get a 6MT! :duh:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:45 PM
7th Gear

Smile acura tl type s.... automatic

after extensive searching and a wasted 400 mile trip to meet a seller who recently got better potential offers. (hope he gets shanked) ive come to find the 6mt tl type s is not a cheap car. not matter what condition unless non driving anndd neither is the 6mt 2004-2006 tl. im very not suprised actually. tl's especially manual have been keeping their value pretty well. in reality the acura tl especially manual has great potential as such heres what'll be. 2007 tl type s autotragic. sell for 11,000. 90,000 miles. documented fender bender. will be gutting. will let wife daily drive for a few months as i see what condition engine/transmission/suspension is. and will have some much needed maintenance done. will be a full bolt on car. i wont be doing the work myself. ive seen some autotragic tl type s hit 290-300+ fwhp with full bolt on including manifold and TB. on this forum actually i'm not to rich. i am well to do but my family including my parents and wifes mom all leech off me. as such this project will take me at least two years. i do not wish to start my own thread. i will update here at least every 6 months. when is all done there will be extensive videos of me playing. acura tl type s. automatic.....autotragic...................(all joking aside tbh in my opinion this isnt the worse automatic around, rev matches and actually selects gears and holds them. if you want to experience a sheeet automatic i suggest 2006-2013 lexus is350) my goal is high 2700lbs to low 2800lbs without driver. fully upgraded suspension suited for city and every other day driving. full bolt on. hope we keep the gutted tl alive. for the money. a gutted fwd v6 acura with full bolt ons is pretty miraculous. i wish i could find video of World Challenge acura tsx v6 real time racing. those things were road racing pure breds. here are some pics. so much sheet to remove.
Attached Thumbnails M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-00i0i_ahun4qeg2qe_600x450.jpg   M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-00404_8tbc2smnqah_600x450.jpg   M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-00r0r_8r0v6wrzvgh_600x450.jpg   M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-01111_b4rkrlg7dle_600x450.jpg   M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-00c0c_9giaakjuy98_600x450.jpg  

M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)-00l0l_jxvjv4mwzhl_600x450.jpg  
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by iamthen
This is a great post. Very well written. It makes total sense! Thank you.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM
7th Gear

Smile

holy holiday balls. glad to see your still around. i thought for sure the tl community lost you to ''radio controlled hovering devices''hehe. they can be fun for awhile i guess. any chance your saving up for a acura tl type s 6mt/auto-or-tl sh awd 6mt/auto????? would love to see you gut out (like real time racings been gutting Acuras two decades) one of those bad boys. you should attempt to contact peter from real time racing..../ he's on facebook-he'd get a kick out of your "TL Diet". You might even have some weight savings tips he could use??? not sure though as he run a TLX AWD now that weighs over 3000 pounds and turbo. ---i hope you stick around??? And pick up a new project... If i was rich i'd pay you to come help me start my Tl type s project. (**** -my wife**** '' oh my gawd what the f&^k are you doing. Why are you ripping your new car up you weirdo!!!!" ***-me*** '' Because race car?'') LOL
Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 AM

I think you should make your own thread. It'd be fun to check out. And it would be yours.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM
7th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think you should make your own thread. It'd be fun to check out. And it would be yours.
yeah i should. unfortunately i think you would be the only presrciber. thought i'd hop on and try and keep inaccurates momentum going. i tried creating a thread on "that other honda forum". ---got laughed out. FORUM MOD FEEL FREE TO DELETE MY PREVIOUS POSTS HERE. If anyone would like to see my build p.m. me. Going for 2800 pound 300whp automatic type S.
rockstar143 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
facurate,

Thank for the warm welcome

Please let me know if there is something I can help you with. But, no more race car for me. I am burnt-out on racing. My new ride is a black-on-black (and dark tint windows) 2015 Civic Coupe. Loving the CVT too (for real).

rockstar143 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 AM

Tim...I wonder how fast the civic would be when you lighten it up to 1700 pounds.

Honestly, I can totally understand being comfortable though and getting 35 mpg. I hope you didn't dump the TL though, you lighting up some of those big displacement cars are what put smiles on my face!

Facurate...make the thread, man...I guarantee you people will chime in and give tips and take advice, that's what makes this forum awesome! :gheyhug:
Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Lone Wolf

This forum isn't so good at giving tips, especially on building race cars. Any other car forum would be better, I know from experience. This site is only for beginners in car modding.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM

That hasn't been my experience at all. If you're looking for very specific information about a particular topic, I could see you not finding what you're looking for...or maybe you don't know where to look or who to ask.

Beginners at what? Car detailing? Electrical? Maintenance? Stereo? Suspension? Fitment? Troubleshooting issues? Performance upgrades?

Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Plus, you've been here 12 years and with as modified as you are, with diet and autocross...I highly doubt you haven't taken from this site a TON more than you're giving it credit for.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread inspired me. Love y'all. I'm starting my weight reductions too. Not too extreme but somewhat decent.

I got rid of all the clutter, gutted the trunk liner, removed the spare, and now am going lightweight battery because my current battery is about to die. OEM battery is close to 50. I'm looking at the heaviest braille battery - B3121:

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...ightweight_agm

It should hold a charge longer then OEM and I should save 25lbs, correct? Any other downsides I should know about?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a little Dieting today

Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Looking skinny!
Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobT
Did a little Dieting today

Nice I saw it earlier in the 3g group.

I started gutting part of the liner but I have a sub box and 2 amps. Any suggestions to what I can tie the amps to, to keep em from moving? Right now they are screwed into the carpet.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post code name RTR

Me on My look at this mighty big ol' thread you got going on here.

I might just be on here for this one time only post to give you a shout out.

I'm usually to busy in hollow metal shells that scream at me. Tinkering and wrenching trying to make them scream consecutively to the next hot h-e-l-l.

i guess i can share a few specs with this community. Your pretty close to what some folks raced back in the day there inaccurate.

Course now its all about a certain awd TLX. And from these last few pages i read it appears you've given up the hobby. Maybe i'm to late to give praise.

I racer x was notified back at the end of 2015 from a member on this acurazine about a certain fellow who had been putting his (Accord/TL/TSX or what have you) on a diet. \
We might have been doing that for awhile or maybe not.All i know is Some v6 fwd sedans were taking down Detroit iron and German snowmobiles even setting course records.

Winning manufacture championships in fwd sedans no less is something to behold. 2012-2013 were good years for fwd v6 sohc sedans.

Inacurate i hope you get back into making fwd sedans real real real light again. Its a neat hobby. The TL and TSX had very similar geometry one was better made in japan overall, but 'overall' it's splitting hairs. I checked out 'some'(there is a lot) of the stuff you did to lighten your vehicle. On par.

here are some specs people usually never share....tsk tsk tsk.

you folks keep it up. what some people raced can be made for the streets fairly easy.

Tis the beauty of ACURA. Here are the specs for a 2012 tsx manufacture winning race car. Not sure if you can even find this info anymore. If it was ever released it would have been straight from RTR. Enjoy.
As far as losing 500 lbs from a TSX/TL. Just follow the TL DIET.

gone racing

specs

tsx 2.4 manual
remove 500 lbs and swap in 3.5-liter, transverse-mounted Acura J35Z3 V6 min required weight with driver 2950. Non sanctioned 27XX with driver

engine specs
Mahle 12.5:1 compression pistons, HPD valve springs and Carillo connecting rods

Motec engine management.

custom exhaust (similar to whats on the market now in racing versions- i.e no cats)

Xtrac 426 6speed gear/tilton flywheel and clutch (I'd think a 6mt would be sufficient for street use.)

chassis

Acura steel unibody w/RTR prep

steel tube roll cage

RTR carbon-kevlar hood/ trunk

Carbon-kevlar-aluminum honeycomb matrix side-impact protection

RTR carbon fiber front splitter, console and rear wing

Sparco seat, belts, and steering wheel with quick release

Brembos and ap pedal box

suspension (you ready for this)

Oem tsx suspension with!!! /
custom front upper and lower control arm
custom rear multi link
adjustable front and rear anti roll bars
penske racing shocks with eibach springs

275 pirelli race slicks all around.
2.2Lude (01-07-2023)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Lone Wolf

Villo169's build or my CL track/autocross builds are more in line with yours than this street driven autotragic build, plus this is dead.

There is also an accord track car on V6p with nice build used for time attack.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

[In the pic below] The nuts (GREEN arrows from above pic) are located in the location highlighted by the RED arrows in the pic below. To reach the nuts, lay on your back and crawl under the front of the car (close to the front license plate area). You should be able to reach your arm up into this area shown with the GREEN arrows. You will be reaching up along the front of the AC condenser (aka, "radiator"). Be careful to NOT touch the "radiator" fins. They bend super easily.

The green arrows in the pic below are somewhat misleading. The arrows in the pic travel in front of the bumper. You arm will be BEHIND the bumper. That is, your arm will be reaching upward between the bumper and the "radiator".

Also, use a box-in wrench. There is probably not much room to "swing" a ratchet. I think you need a 12mm wrench for the nuts.

[/QUOTE]

I tried to remove the front dampener today but i think the correct size for a wrench or socket is 14mm for the top bolt not 12mm. My bolts were too rusty/tight so i couldnt do it without damaging the radiator (not much room for hands either) is there a way to remove the front cover without having to remove the whole bumper so i can have better access?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Was able to finally remove the front damper (my abs hurt haha) im looking at the trunk liner now. So far ive removed the spare tire with the tool and the floor mat/liner on top of it. Thinking of removing the rest of the liner on the side / rear and above. What i would like to know if its gonna affect the noise level in the car and what about humidity? Winter in Quebec is pretty intense and i was wondering if the liner also has the function of absorbing the moisture in the trunk thus removing it will increase the chance of having rust and broken electronics? Im the kind of guy in a hurry in the morning who will throw his shovel and snow brush in the trunk before removing the snow on it...

Last edited by Ibis; 06-24-2017 at 11:46 AM.
94Auto (08-02-2021)

Quick Reply: M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)