Innovative Mounts Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So from the reading... some people had their OEM motor mounts break?? And replaced them with these IM mounts? How do you break motor mounts? Hard driving?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hm...i wonder if there's a diy for the front and rear mounts; i saw the one on the side one - crystal clear. anyone know the other end of that vacuum line leads to specifically? obviously, the motor mounts...but it doesn't seem like the side on has a vac line...dunno about the front and rears. should be i be expecting the line to gush out fluid after taking it off?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
hm...i wonder if there's a diy for the front and rear mounts; i saw the one on the side one - crystal clear. anyone know the other end of that vacuum line leads to specifically? obviously, the motor mounts...but it doesn't seem like the side on has a vac line...dunno about the front and rears. should be i be expecting the line to gush out fluid after taking it off?
LOL i wrote the DIY for the side....gimme time till early next week imma write a diy for front and rear as well

about vac line....either you can stick a nipple where it originates or you can zip tie them....i think INNACURATE has put a nipple where the vac line originates and many other have it zip-tied......
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
LOL i wrote the DIY for the side....gimme time till early next week imma write a diy for front and rear as well

about vac line....either you can stick a nipple where it originates or you can zip tie them....i think INNACURATE has put a nipple where the vac line originates and many other have it zip-tied......
lol yeah man your other diy was PERFECT! will be waiting for the other one...although I may try and tackle it this weekend. I don't understand though...the vac line, does it only go to one of the mounts? or all three?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 PM

lol yeah man your other diy was PERFECT! will be waiting for the other one...although I may try and tackle it this weekend. I don't understand though...the vac line, does it only go to one of the mounts? or all three?
Thanks for the complement man

The vac line goes to only 1 mount....the rear mount....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
Thanks for the complement man

The vac line goes to only 1 mount....the rear mount....
that makes more sense...i'll probably through a nipple on it or something...
any who...the rear seems to be the most difficult -_- good luck with the diy man!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 AM

that makes more sense...i'll probably through a nipple on it or something...
any who...the rear seems to be the most difficult -_- good luck with the diy man!
aye, same to you man....LOL....am doing my UR pulley as well....might do a little write up for that as well....

SHIT am in LUV with "WRITING DIY's"
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the vacuum line goes to both front n rear mounts
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM

^^^ i took a very close look on my front mount (while it was still mounted) and I couldnt see anything....i think i will get a clear picture while am replacing it.....

Thanks for saving me from a SHOCKER......
Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
the vacuum line goes to both front n rear mounts
...and yet there's only one vacuum line from the manifold? or does it split off somewhere...?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
...and yet there's only one vacuum line from the manifold? or does it split off somewhere...?
There's a split at the hard vacuum line near the rear mount. You'll see it when you're back there pulling the mount.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

splits im pretty sure because i looked it up in the manual it shows testing procedures for the front n rear based off of the vacuum pressure.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

ahh kennedy thanks...i remember looking there too...when i was installing the mounts. lol!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

so then where exactly are you guys zip-tying? can someone take a picture? how come nobody has a problem with fluid leaking from the vac lines?...bend and then zip tie....where?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
so then where exactly are you guys zip-tying? can someone take a picture? how come nobody has a problem with fluid leaking from the vac lines?...bend and then zip tie....where?
Don't believe its liquid, Air
Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
LOL.

It's a vacuum line. The engine running creates an air vacuum (hence the nipple on the manifold).

Not plugging this creates a leak in your intake manifold, hence the stumbling/rough running folks have reported by NOT plugging it.

The MOUNT is liquid filled, but it's sealed.

The hose nipple connects to the mount on the bottom side. You'll see it when you get it loose. Simply pull it loose, fold it over itself, and zip tie it that way to seal it off.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kennedy
LOL.

It's a vacuum line. The engine running creates an air vacuum (hence the nipple on the manifold).

Not plugging this creates a leak in your intake manifold, hence the stumbling/rough running folks have reported by NOT plugging it.

The hose nipple connects to the mount on the bottom side. You'll see it when you get it loose. Simply pull it loose, fold it over itself, and zip tie it that way to seal it off.
OH! dang...! so if that liquid inside the motor mount leaks, then theyre broken, yes?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
LOL.

i am zip tied... but i still get that stumbling/rough feel every 90 seconds or so..... should i be rechecking my zip ties? I zipped it at the end of the line (near the mount) should i zip it earlier?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
woo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put golf tees in my vacuum lines and everything works likes charm
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
i am zip tied... but i still get that stumbling/rough feel every 90 seconds or so..... should i be rechecking my zip ties? I zipped it at the end of the line (near the mount) should i zip it earlier?
LOL... good description of the periodic "vibrating chair syndrome". Yep, mine does the same vibration every 90 seconds are so. Some days are worse than others. I am use to it by now although.

Doubt that your 90-second periodic "vibrating chair syndrome" is from a vacuum leak. My vacuum port is securely capped with a real vacuum plug at the manifold, and mine still does it.

Regarding your question.... it does not matter where along the hose that it is sealed-off. To test it, place your finger over the end of the hose to see if a vacuum pulls agianst your finger while the engine is idling in Park. If you feel a vacuum against your finger, your crimp is not good enough. Disclaimer - Please be careful when poking around under the hood with the engine running.... Chop-o-matic
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by woo
i put golf tees in my vacuum lines and everything works likes charm
lol that's pretty damn clever woo!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Safety Car

question: when you guys jack the car up, and then raise the motor via a block on the oil pan, how MUCH do you need to raise the motor? you're just taking pressure off the motor mounts? front and back???
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Safety Car

oh and how the hell did you guys get that rear mount out? take it out from the bottom or top?! there's NO room up top!!! yikes!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM

^^^ sorry I have been off the forums for a while.....

so here is how you do it.....since my car was very low we couldnt get the hydraulic jack under the front.....

1> so jack the car up a little using the stock jack and get the hydraulic dude under the car and raise it.....
2> put jack stands under the car and put the car on the stands
3> now put the hydraulic jack under the oil pan....dont just place the jack directly under the oil pan....put a piece of wood to distribute the weight a little more.....
4> jack it up a little....
5> for the front: get the fans off.....(7 bolts and 3 wire connections for both the fans)....
6> take the bolts of the mounts
7> mine was a bitch to come off....so jack the engine up a little more....
8> it comes off.....replace it with innovative mounts.....bolt everything back.....put the fan back....zip tie the vacuum line....
9> for the rear....i didnt take my strut bar off, since the bolts on the sturt bar were stripping....
10> you need a 20" extension, a U-joint, another 3" extension.....
11> i was doggie-styling the engine from top and BUDA (Sean) was under the car.....LOL....we did switch positions couple times ....hope my girl doesnt read this
12> so well got the 5 bolts off....the rear was a baby to come off....only while putting it back it wouldnt go back in.....
13> so BUDA suggested we directly jack up the engine.....so the car is on stands.....the oil pan is jacked up using a jack and a piece of wood.....we took a beefy rachet put it on the stock jack and jacked the engine by placing the rachet right underneath the mount attachment.....where the top bolt goes (on the mount), there is a metal piece extending out (from the engine block)....
14> the mount slipped in perfect....the bottom 4 bolts went it.....
15> now jack the rachet off so that the top bolt matches and screw that in
16> tighten everything.....zip tie the vacuum line....
17> take the jacks off
18> enjoy the massage

PS: for taking the front mount off....wiggle wiggle and it comes off....for the rear mount....we unbolted the fuse box and a metal connector on the engine block.....turn the mount sideways and it comes out.....be ready for a whole bunch of scratches......

imma post some pictures later today or tomorrow.....

Last edited by swoosh; 04-23-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

hm...doesn't sound too bad of an install man. thanks for the write up...
but i'm still an amateur...can you explain the "jacking the engine up directly" part? are you actually using a LIFT to pull up the motor a tad? thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Glad to see you finally got that info posted up! To help paint the picture for the rear mount. Jacking up the oil pan just wasn't allowing us to get the new mount in. While I was underneath the car I noticed the mount point coming out from the engine had a groove in it. That groove was perfect for sticking the bottom end of the 18" long 1/2" drive craftsman breaker bar. We stuck the base of the handle in the groove and pointed the breaker bar straight down. Then we put the OEM jack under the head of the breaker bar and jacked it up a little bit. It didn't take much and it worked like a charm.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 PM

hm...doesn't sound too bad of an install man. thanks for the write up...
but i'm still an amateur...can you explain the "jacking the engine up directly" part? are you actually using a LIFT to pull up the motor a tad? thanks
I wish man....the install would have been a piece of cake.....here lemme draw a diagram for ya.....

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I changed out my front and side mounts yesterday. I didn't have time (and too lazy) to get the rear. With 39k miles on the odo, the side & front stock mounts seemed fine and showed no signs of any damage. I did notice that one of the stock bolts that goes into the body on the side mount was rusty. The driver side fan gave me a hard time. I couldn't get my hands in there to undo the wire clips so I had to just move it aside to manuever the front mount out. I torqued the middle bolts on the Innovative mounts to 35 lbs. With only the front and side mounts put in, there's suttle vibration. Most of any vibration is apparent when the foot is slowly let off the clutch to engage engine-for example, when backing up. It reminds me of a high-performance clutch I had in my Integra. At idle, there's a very small amount of vibration. After the mounts were put in, the engine feels and sounds like it's putting the power to the ground more efficiently. There's a higher pitch sound that the engine has now. Wheel hop is diminished. One day I'll get off my lazy butt and put the rear mount in..Thanx to all who gave input on this mod, you gave me the confidence to install this myself!

Last edited by jchcmax; 04-23-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: because I felt like it
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Oh, I almost forgot...the throttle response is improved big time!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
To see how to jack-up the engine and how to "snake out" the rear mount, see my post on Page 2 of this thread (Post #63). There are pics too in that Post #63.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 AM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

^Craftsman alumiminum low profile 2 ton jack...not a bad way to spend $200. A must have for us dropped folks. I even got it under Scott's (princely) car and it's pretty slammed!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Burning Brakes

just wanted to clarify

Switching to 60a mounts would less motor vibration/wheel hop, so would that put less stress on the CAI mount?

If so, this would be a good idea for those who are afraid to rip a hole in their intake?

^ By the way nice low pro jack! gotta get me one of those

sears might have it??sdfgsdgf
Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Here are some pics from my install today. Not saying that I did it the best way, but it worked for me. Took me 5 hours.

In the pic below, the LONG extension is highlighted with a red line. The extension is a 20" Craftsman 3/8" drive. Reaching the bolts were the easiest part of the job. Note the strut bar is removed.

To remove the rear and front mount, the engine needed to be raised to take the weight off of the mounts. I lifted the engine via 2x4 against some beefy bosses on the block. I am NOT a fan of apply pressure to the oil pan (weak cast metal?...I don't want to find out...I do know it would be a major screw-up if it cracked).

In the pic below, this illustrates how I wiggled the rear mount out of the car. Keep the mount upside down because it is easier to unsnag the mount when it hangs up on wires and hoses. Use a lot of pateince and take your time to wiggle the mount through the maze of wires and hoses.

I was able to remove the front mount without removing either radiator fan. I was able to remove the side mount without lifting the engine.
dude, i completely forgot about YOUR post up, despite having read the entire thread..! all i need is a u-joint another extension on top of my 20 incher haha that thing made the process SO easy on the side mount...and it was only 15ish including tax @ sears
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Safety Car

how many bolts are there on the front and rears to take off? 5?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 AM

^^^ yup 5.....4 in the bottom and 1 uptop.....
Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
just wanted to clarify

Switching to 60a mounts would less motor vibration/wheel hop, so would that put less stress on the CAI mount?

If so, this would be a good idea for those who are afraid to rip a hole in their intake?

yes.....till date i had the bolt a little loose on the vibramount....coz i was afraid i would rip it off just like other people.....

after i put these mounts in, i tightened the vibramount bolt
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

i ripped on the vac line to the front motor mount -_- DAMN! it isn't repairable, is it? it's so small! anyways, it's just there...not plugged. i'm assuming that won't be much of a problem, right?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
just wanted to clarify

^yup. sears it is.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

i ripped on the vac line to the front motor mount -_- DAMN! it isn't repairable, is it? it's so small! anyways, it's just there...not plugged. i'm assuming that won't be much of a problem, right?
eh eh???
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
LOL... good description of the periodic "vibrating chair syndrome". Yep, mine does the same vibration every 90 seconds are so. Some days are worse than others. I am use to it by now although.

Doubt that your 90-second periodic "vibrating chair syndrome" is from a vacuum leak. My vacuum port is securely capped with a real vacuum plug at the manifold, and mine still does it.

Regarding your question.... it does not matter where along the hose that it is sealed-off. To test it, place your finger over the end of the hose to see if a vacuum pulls agianst your finger while the engine is idling in Park. If you feel a vacuum against your finger, your crimp is not good enough. Disclaimer - Please be careful when poking around under the hood with the engine running.... Chop-o-matic
Ya know, i installed my mounts in Early September last year.... and i am MORE than used to the "shaking-sputtering".... even with the hvac is on...

BUT, it was 85 degrees in NY today... and i had to use the A/C.. ..first time in since the week of the install... HOLY SH*T !!!!! my car shakes like Michael J Fox...... i am used to it, but my CF hood shakes, and my dash above the center speaker/navi screen rattle like hell with the A/C on..

Quick Reply: Innovative Mounts Review