Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok just to clarify before I commoit to the list...The group buy is for all the items listed on the first post? Injectors, fuel pump etc....
Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by 04TL4P3
Ok just to clarify before I commoit to the list...The group buy is for all the items listed on the first post? Injectors, fuel pump etc....
The Group buy will be only for the ECU....

but you will be able to buy the Injectors + PigTails + Fuel pump for a discounted price
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Ah ok thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify (as I saw a post earlier that made a reference to this, but I would like to triple-check before adding myself to the list), this MS3 will work for us 7th gen Accord guys as well, correct? 3.0L J30 AT... I know that this is mostly a TL party, but we 7gen guys troll around here from time to time as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by metalball
Just to clarify (as I saw a post earlier that made a reference to this, but I would like to triple-check before adding myself to the list), this MS3 will work for us 7th gen Accord guys as well, correct? 3.0L J30 AT... I know that this is mostly a TL party, but we 7gen guys troll around here from time to time as well.
Let me ask Rondey if this will fit...there are couple 7th Gen accord fellas on the forum who are highly modded and using this ECU....but let me confirm before I commit to you....
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Dyno graphs

So got these in from Rodney....The graphs are on a OEM 3.2 (Base) Motor....

1> 4th gear pull. Stock ECU. Primary cats in place.
Mods are: Jpipe, Third cat delete, Greddy catback, A filterless v2 intake

2> 3th gear pull. Stock ECU. Primary cats in place.
Mods are: Jpipe, Third cat delete, Greddy catback, A filterless v2 intake

3> 3th gear pull. Primary cats in place.
Mods are: JNR ECU, Jpipe,Third cat delete, Greddy catback, A filterless v2 intake

So from the ECU on a STOCK car with some bolt ons you can see 20WHP/23WTQ
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^its where my car is at right now...240hp!

cant wait to get my hands on this!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
looks good...also looks like the vtec is set at about 4k? even in stock form? looks strange...

unless someone else can explain what that dip means?

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 12-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM

^no, it doesnt seem like vtec was lowered as the dip is there on the before......

my dyno had the exact same dip at 4k. its just a characteristic of the motor.

and that is not the cross over point.
as you can see in my dyno, the cross over point is at 4.7k a very RAPID and linear increase in power and torque.

I'm making the same power as the "test subject" without the ECU. Imagine what it will do to my ride

Last edited by justnspace; 12-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
The Track Terror

gotcha, yea i thought the same thing, just wanted to clarify...

I also see the AFR is *much* richer with the ECU...which seems to contribute to the added power...

and dang, just noticed the MUCH higher rev limiter...that's what i'm talkin' bout!

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 12-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sloppyjoe92 (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by justnspace
and that is not the cross over point.
as you can see in my dyno, the cross over point is at 4.7k a very RAPID and linear increase in power and torque.
Yours is a rapid increase at the VTEC crossover, the other guy's, not so much...but i bet that can be changed with a bit more tweaking...if it would be beneficial at all
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM

butt, look. theres no power after 6.4-6.5
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
The Track Terror

you are correct sir...hmm...cams...cams....
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Nice numbers! I Want...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm excited!

as the "test" car didnt specify, but I believe that is an Auto!
Holy extra gains for 6mt's!!!

everyone in houston that is getting it, wanna race!?!?!?!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM

^its where my car is at right now...240hp!

cant wait to get my hands on this!
hahaha...you will see good gains with this....am assuming 10% of where you are now

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
gotcha, yea i thought the same thing, just wanted to clarify...

I also see the AFR is *much* richer with the ECU...which seems to contribute to the added power...

and dang, just noticed the MUCH higher rev limiter...that's what i'm talkin' bout!
higher rev limiter doesnt mean more power

wish that was the case....I know Andy with aftermarket cams put his rev limiter to 8K....he did see gains there

butt, look. theres no power after 6.4-6.5
more like 6200rpm....after that its a plateau and then it dropssssss LOL....

you are correct sir...hmm...cams...cams....

cams and valvetrain....

Originally Posted by 04TL4P3
Nice numbers! I Want...
if your sure about it, will put you in the list....lemme know

I'm excited!

as the "test" car didnt specify, but I believe that is an Auto!
Holy extra gains for 6mt's!!!

everyone in houston that is getting it, wanna race!?!?!?!
I believe it was Auto (will confirm)....coz i dont think a MT with exhaust mods will dyno at 226 stock....

EDIT: Just found out it was a 6MT....Also the VTEC engagement was not modified in the JnR ECU run....more vids and graphs tonight....

Last edited by swoosh; 12-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by swoosh
I know Andy with aftermarket cams put his rev limiter to 8K....he did see gains there
8k, eh? Will the stock bottom-end handle this?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 PM

^^^ his did....he was pushing upwards of 320 on stock bottom end....he did have the JnR ECU as well
Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Wow...if those gains are on a 5AT, then I may have to think about selling my FIC for this!!

The 'dip' at 4K is due to the IM butterflies opening up.

This is very impressive. 20whp/20+ft-lbs basically throughout the RPM band. I wish we could have an overlay of the 2 graphs. Any way maybe Rodney can do that? That would obviously be a better comparison. All these gains too with the stock precats...with the PCDs I wouldn't be surprised to see over 25whp/30ft-lbs with this tune. This is really opening a whole new market to the J. With valvetrain/cams/headwork, 300+ is EASYYY, even with my 3.0. With 7200-7500RPM rev limit, this car would be beastly.

Swoosh: You mean "still has" the JnR only now it will be on a Type S 6MT hehehe. I spoke with him and he said currently he has I/full exhaust on the TL-s and it hauls ass. Still said his base was quicker though.

*EDIT* 1 thing that intrigues me though is that there is still a significant dip at 4K. Shouldn't that have been smoothed out?

Also, up top after 6500RPM the drop off is much more exaggerated with the JnR ECU when compared with stock. At the 6800 redline (stock), the power is almost identical. Everywhere before is between 15-20hp/tq ABOVE, which is amazing. But how come at redline the power drops off so significantly? Maybe Rodney could answer this and the 'dip' at 4K?

Last edited by Sonnick; 12-19-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
That JnR graph is smooth. Power is gained throughout the power band assuming that graph and power was off an Automatic TL. It be cool to have Rodney chime in what the tuning. The part throttle tuning was done pretty good. I'd like to see if what cylinder was having the most knock counts when having more performance parts being added. Also, would like Rodney chime in the 4K dip when it should be smooth and not lose 5hp than the power increase. To have it right, Rodney would be the guy to have it correctly. Other people will just dyno your car WOT and not take their time part throttle tuning it. So it would be best to have some questions when the time comes, but I got 3 questions I would like to see though. will be waiting.

Questions:

1. With the filterless V2 intake, what temp was it getting during the time on the dyno?

2. With a stock 4.7K RPM vtec, was the JnR ecu set at a different rpm? I would believe for all motor, we can go as low as 4K - 4.5K depending on mods.

3. Most cylinder knocks?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Wow...if those gains are on a 5AT, then I may have to think about selling my FIC for this!!

The 'dip' at 4K is due to the IM butterflies opening up.

This is very impressive. 20whp/20+ft-lbs basically throughout the RPM band. I wish we could have an overlay of the 2 graphs. Any way maybe Rodney can do that? That would obviously be a better comparison. All these gains too with the stock precats...with the PCDs I wouldn't be surprised to see over 25whp/30ft-lbs with this tune. This is really opening a whole new market to the J. With valvetrain/cams/headwork, 300+ is EASYYY, even with my 3.0. With 7200-7500RPM rev limit, this car would be beastly.

Swoosh: You mean "still has" the JnR only now it will be on a Type S 6MT hehehe. I spoke with him and he said currently he has I/full exhaust on the TL-s and it hauls ass. Still said his base was quicker though.
The gains were on a 6MT....

you do need to sell your AEM FIC and get this bro....the gains with this are awesome....

Also yeah he still has the ECU LOL....i spoke to him very very briefly, recently as well.....but yeah did see his progress on Facebook....
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bouncer07
That JnR graph is smooth. Power is gained throughout the power band assuming that graph and power was off an Automatic TL. It be cool to have Rodney chime in what the tuning. The part throttle tuning was done pretty good. I'd like to see if what cylinder was having the most knock counts when having more performance parts being added. Also, would like Rodney chime in the 4K dip when it should be smooth and not lose 5hp than the power increase. To have it right, Rodney would be the guy to have it correctly. Other people will just dyno your car WOT and not take their time part throttle tuning it. So it would be best to have some questions when the time comes, but I got 3 questions I would like to see though. will be waiting.

Questions:

1. With the filterless V2 intake, what temp was it getting during the time on the dyno?

2. With a stock 4.7K RPM vtec, was the JnR ecu set at a different rpm? I would believe for all motor, we can go as low as 4K - 4.5K depending on mods.

3. Most cylinder knocks?
only if you did read it will answer most of your questions:

EDIT: Just found out it was a 6MT....Also the VTEC engagement was not modified in the JnR ECU run....more vids and graphs tonight....
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
All motor

I have not seen his Facebook page. I'll have to add him.

Now that we know it's a 6MT, the gains are still very impressive. Just as impressive as before, in fact. Like I said above, I'm guessing another 5+whp/tq increase throughout the band with the addition of the PCDs. Now, when I say a 5+whp/tq increase, I mean aside from the gains of the PCDs themselves. The AFR gets tricky when you delete the primary cats. I'm sure smoothing them out would yield even larger gains across the powerband. As far as I know, there has not been a dyno done with the JnR ECU on an all motor TL with the PCDs installed. That is the dyno I'm waiting for. The gains are already impressive enough and rival KPro gains with the primary cats in place, imagine with the PCDs! This is exactly what we have been waiting for! And is just what the J needs!

On top of that, I'd love to see a full bolt on dyno, then another overlay with the Bisi cam. I know for a fact (hehehehehe) that everyone would sh1t themselves.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:25 PM

^^^ yeah Rodney was saying he will put the PCD's on today and might do the UR pulley as well....am expecting to see something in the 270's....

about your other requests, you might get that in the next few months actually LOL....I am fully bolted on....will be getting this ECU in the next few weeks (already placed my order)....will dyno and tune and dyno.....so you will see the gains before and after the ECU.....

next up is BISI cams, possibly BISI/KMS valvetrain....then a dyno....

so lets see how that will go....
Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
All motor

Oh wow....today is a good day for the J series Will be checking in later tonight.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
looks good...also looks like the vtec is set at about 4k? even in stock form? looks strange...

unless someone else can explain what that dip means?

The IMT (Intake Manifold Tuning) is what is advertised as " Dual-stage tuned intake manifold" by Acura. The IMT will cause the intake manifold to be a "dual plane" at low rpms. But at 4000 rpm, the IMT will open the butterfly valve in the manifold and cause the intake manifold to be a "single plane" manifold.

The IMT will have this degree of impact (if not more so) on the power band as seen in the dyno graphs. I have a lot of firsthand experience playing with single plane versus dual plane intake manifolds on the Small Block Chevy, and the change in the power band is huge.

Below is the explanation supplied by Acura -

Dual-Stage Intake Manifold

Like the RL and MDX, the TL utilizes a dual-stage intake manifold to boost performance across the powerband. Working in concert with VTEC, this manifold improves low-speed torque without sacrificing high rpm power. The manifold is divided into two banks with three cylinders fed by each bank. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls butterfly valves between each bank. At low engine speeds the valves are closed; each separate bank of the manifold is tuned to maximize the resonance effect of the incoming air and increase cylinder filling and the torque through the lower part of the engine's rpm range.

As the engine rpm rises, the resonance effect fades, and the butterfly valves connecting the two banks of the intake manifold open. Now the resonance from individual pressure pulsations is eliminated, and an inertia affect helps the mass of air rushing down each intake passage. This provides more charge than each cylinder would normally ingest, working like mild supercharging to enhance horsepower at high engine speeds. The manifold changeover rpm is set somewhat lower in the rpm range than is the VTEC changeover rpm. This works to smooth and broaden the torque delivery. More than 75 percent of the peak torque is available from 2100 rpm to 6500 rpm.
BostonSilverTypeS (12-20-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
All motor

^^ I have a question...I understand how it works but...would it be beneficial for a bolt on/ported manifold J series to do the IM butterfly delete? There have been mixed reviews on it, and I'm wondering.

I tried to take them out and successfully removed one, but had a really hard time with some of the small screws. A few of them were VERY tight, so tight in fact that I couldn't remove the 2nd flap. I didn't want to strip them, so I stopped. But again, would there be any benefit to removing them on a modified car? Or would that be counterproductive considering Honda designed the manifold that way for a reason?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM

^^^ Yes....

I have ported and polished manifold and I had taken the butterfly out....the mid range sucked....it took too much time to get to higher rpms.....

I put it back in and boom, my power was back....
Old 12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
The Track Terror

Thank you Sonnick for the reason for the dip at 4k and thanks Inaccurate for the usual in-depth and excellent detailed explanation! Never knew that about the dual-stage technology in our IM...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
All motor

Np Fenda. Wow, I didn't even see the diagram. Thanks Tim! I wasn't sure exactly what controlled it, I just knew that those flaps were used to control airflow.

Swoosh: Thanks for the advice. The only reason I asked was because Andy had said they were no good once the manifold was ported. Also, reese (2G TL who ran 13.6 @104) had his deleted as well, and thus far I've seen no one trap near 104 with their butterflies intact, hence my reasoning. But then a couple members had said they felt a loss in power, so I was/am still all confused!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
How does a 6MT base with intake, j pipe, 3rd cat delete and Greddy cat back dyno only 224-226 STD on a Dynojet?

That's like 216 SAE, which is on the low side of what a bone stock 6MT base should do. Maybe it wasn't running 100% with the stock ecu, and that's why the gains with the JnR were so high?

Anyway, I'd like to get in on this GB, but I'm about to buy new wheels, so the ecu will have to wait until spring/summer for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow those are definitely some decent gains with the JnR ECU.
I am right on the fence about this as I am just about to shell out about the equivalent for a Rotora BBK from the BM.

I searched the ECU thread but didn't see the answer to this question emerge so I thought I would ask here as it would be relevant to all 04-06 AT owners.
Unlike the 07-08 AT owners who can hold first gear our ECU shifts from 1st-2nd for us.
Will this ECU allow me to take back control of my 1st gear shift point?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
BBK and wheels can wait.

ECU can't. You're not only helping yourself, but buying this, you're helping Rodney create more advancements for our TLs, which is the biggest reason why I'm buying this so Rodney can have more dough and RND (through us for the ECU) for future stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Np Fenda. Wow, I didn't even see the diagram. Thanks Tim! I wasn't sure exactly what controlled it, I just knew that those flaps were used to control airflow.

Swoosh: Thanks for the advice. The only reason I asked was because Andy had said they were no good once the manifold was ported. Also, reese (2G TL who ran 13.6 @104) had his deleted as well, and thus far I've seen no one trap near 104 with their butterflies intact, hence my reasoning. But then a couple members had said they felt a loss in power, so I was/am still all confused!
the 07+ TL models dont have the butterfly (if am not mistaken)....so yeah am kinda confused as well....but in my experience, with my mods, i lost power....

Originally Posted by anx1300c
How does a 6MT base with intake, j pipe, 3rd cat delete and Greddy cat back dyno only 224-226 STD on a Dynojet?

That's like 216 SAE, which is on the low side of what a bone stock 6MT base should do. Maybe it wasn't running 100% with the stock ecu, and that's why the gains with the JnR were so high?

Anyway, I'd like to get in on this GB, but I'm about to buy new wheels, so the ecu will have to wait until spring/summer for me.
I told Rodney exactly the same....I think this is because of stock cats....even thow the test car had a jpipe and catback, it didnt make a difference since the stocks cats choke it all up...

Also the test car HAS only exhaust side mods which dont make any power ....power is made by intake side mods....and all the test car had was a Intake...no Throttle body spacer no Pulley no port and polish....I think with the cats and the mods I mentioned with the ECU he will be close to 300-ish

Originally Posted by TmaX
Wow those are definitely some decent gains with the JnR ECU.
I am right on the fence about this as I am just about to shell out about the equivalent for a Rotora BBK from the BM.

I searched the ECU thread but didn't see the answer to this question emerge so I thought I would ask here as it would be relevant to all 04-06 AT owners.
Unlike the 07-08 AT owners who can hold first gear our ECU shifts from 1st-2nd for us.
Will this ECU allow me to take back control of my 1st gear shift point?
Yes, I think you can control it....since it does have a launch control function

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
BBK and wheels can wait.

ECU can't. You're not only helping yourself, but buying this, you're helping Rodney create more advancements for our TLs, which is the biggest reason why I'm buying this so Rodney can have more dough and RND (through us for the ECU) for future stuff.
cant agree with you more here bro
Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM

The list:
1. Justin Myers - '06 6MT - justnspace
2. Justin Rogers- '04 AT - j-rogsuperstar
3. Champ - 06 AT - TheChamp531
4. phatrick34 - 06 base MT - phatrick
5. Jack213 - 05 AT supercharge
6. fenda rolla - 07 base AT
7. InFaMouS LinK - 06 6speeed-
8. Bouncer07- 05 TL 6spd
9. r3devi7 - '04 AT
10. Joey tl - 04 TL

MODS: can you please put the 3 DYNO graphs and gains in the 1st post....or update the thread title saying: Updated with Dyno's/Gains on page 3....Thank you
Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Done.

Anil, instead of posting that in a thread, feel free to PM me or another mod that might be online at the time. We can get to it quicker for you!
swoosh (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

[quote=swoosh;13431727]

I told Rodney exactly the same....I think this is because of stock cats....even thow the test car had a jpipe and catback, it didnt make a difference since the stocks cats choke it all up...

Also the test car HAS only exhaust side mods which dont make any power ....power is made by intake side mods....and all the test car had was a Intake...no Throttle body spacer no Pulley no port and polish....I think with the cats and the mods I mentioned with the ECU he will be close to 300-ish

People were making decent power over stock numbers with the mods this car has before RV-6 PCD's and HFC's were available (E-Shift Pro Cats notwithstanding). And you're right that exhaust mods don't make the engine more powerful, but they certainly do free up horsepower on a chassis dyno. And no offense, but I'll give away my car if this car magically picks up another 50 whp with PCD's, a pulley, a spacer and p/p. Maybe 20-25 at best. Maybe with cams it would be approaching 300 whp.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
BBK and wheels can wait.

In a sense, I'll be helping Rodney even more by paying full price for it. He has done amazing things for this community!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
^dooo it!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM

People were making decent power over stock numbers with the mods this car has before RV-6 PCD's and HFC's were available (E-Shift Pro Cats notwithstanding). And you're right that exhaust mods don't make the engine more powerful, but they certainly do free up horsepower on a chassis dyno. And no offense, but I'll give away my car if this car magically picks up another 50 whp with PCD's, a pulley, a spacer and p/p. Maybe 20-25 at best. Maybe with cams it would be approaching 300 whp.
my bad....i counted the ECU twice

I meant to say 275-ish with the PCD's and in the 280's with the ported and polished setup....

on a side note, i wudnt mind taking ur car away from you LOL....if all goes well, i might be around (very close to) the 300 number without cams

In a sense, I'll be helping Rodney even more by paying full price for it. He has done amazing things for this community!

well your call....save "whatever" now or pay full retail later

Quick Reply: Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)